GLDirect unlocks 3D Vision support for older OpenGL titles
  1 / 5    
The [url="http://gldirect.sourceforge.net/"]GLDirect project[/url] is one of the best things to happen to 3D Vision since NVidia all but dropped OpenGL support. You simply place the GLDirect build of opengl32.dll into the same folder as the game executable. Thanks to GLDirect, [b]3D Vision is verified as working with the following games[/b] that I've tested so far:
- Alice (American McGee's)
- Star Wars Jedi Academy
- Kingpin: Life of Crime
- Classic ID Software titles (Doom, Doom 2 HoE, Heretic, Hexen) via jDoom 1.8.6 and Doomsday Kickstart 2.09.
- Half-Life

Pros:
- Easy installation, just drag-and-drop opengl32.dll. No special configuration or patching required.
- Excellent 3D effects. Minimal foreground ghosting and no background ghosting at maximum depth. I haven't changed the default convergence; see Cons for a point about this.
- Stereoscopic 3D sight works perfectly.

Cons:
- Resolution set by the game itself, not by GLDirect. This is important, since the games targeted by GLDirect tend not to support 1680x1050 resolution by default. Quake 3 engine games such as Alice and Jedi Academy let you override the supported resolutions. I've not discovered how to do this with Quake 2 engine games such as Kingpin, so I cannot yet play this in native 1680x1050.
- EDIT. Kingpin, Half-Life, and in fact most Quake 2-based games can be forced to 1680x1050 by hex-editing the game executable.
- Perspective is too distant. These OpenGL-based titles don't have the "up in your face" 3D effects that I expect from native DirectX games. For my definition of "up in your face", run the 3D Vision test app and notice that the spinning NVidia logo appears to fly out from the monitor. Changing convergence might fix this, though I'm reluctant to go there.

As an aside, I ran Kingpin with dgVoodoo, a DirectX wrapper for 3DFX Glide API calls. The green-text NVidia game info overlay appeared, but the actual 3D effects could not be enabled. Sadly, not all DirectX wrappers are created equal.

EDIT. As I do more tests, I'll update my list above. Feel free to download GLDirect, test out other OpenGL-based games yourself, and post your results! /stud.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stud:' />
The GLDirect project is one of the best things to happen to 3D Vision since NVidia all but dropped OpenGL support. You simply place the GLDirect build of opengl32.dll into the same folder as the game executable. Thanks to GLDirect, 3D Vision is verified as working with the following games that I've tested so far:

- Star Wars Jedi Academy

- Classic ID Software titles (Doom, Doom 2 HoE, Heretic, Hexen) via jDoom 1.8.6 and Doomsday Kickstart 2.09.

- Half-Life

Pros:

- Easy installation, just drag-and-drop opengl32.dll. No special configuration or patching required.

- Excellent 3D effects. Minimal foreground ghosting and no background ghosting at maximum depth. I haven't changed the default convergence; see Cons for a point about this.

Cons:

- Resolution set by the game itself, not by GLDirect. This is important, since the games targeted by GLDirect tend not to support 1680x1050 resolution by default. Quake 3 engine games such as Alice and Jedi Academy let you override the supported resolutions. I've not discovered how to do this with Quake 2 engine games such as Kingpin, so I cannot yet play this in native 1680x1050.

- EDIT. Kingpin, Half-Life, and in fact most Quake 2-based games can be forced to 1680x1050 by hex-editing the game executable.

- Perspective is too distant. These OpenGL-based titles don't have the "up in your face" 3D effects that I expect from native DirectX games. For my definition of "up in your face", run the 3D Vision test app and notice that the spinning NVidia logo appears to fly out from the monitor. Changing convergence might fix this, though I'm reluctant to go there.

As an aside, I ran Kingpin with dgVoodoo, a DirectX wrapper for 3DFX Glide API calls. The green-text NVidia game info overlay appeared, but the actual 3D effects could not be enabled. Sadly, not all DirectX wrappers are created equal.

EDIT. As I do more tests, I'll update my list above. Feel free to download GLDirect, test out other OpenGL-based games yourself, and post your results! /stud.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stud:' />

Posted 06/09/2010 07:57 AM   
[quote name='vaustein' post='1070600' date='Jun 9 2010, 09:57 AM']The [url="http://gldirect.sourceforge.net/"]GLDirect project[/url] is one of the best things to happen to 3D Vision since NVidia all but dropped OpenGL support. You simply place the GLDirect build of opengl32.dll into the same folder as the game executable. Thanks to GLDirect, 3D is verified as working beautifully for the following games that I've tested so far:
- Star Wars Jedi Academy

Pros:

Cons:

Feel free to post the results of your experiments with GLDirect. I'll test this out with Doom 3 when I get the chance, although I'm not optimistic about GLDirect being compatible with the Doom 3 engine.

As an aside, I ran Kingpin with dgVoodoo, a DirectX wrapper for 3DFX Glide API calls. The green-text NVidia game info overlay appeared, but the actual 3D effects could not be enabled. Sadly, not all DirectX wrappers are created equal.[/quote]

Does penumbra games works with this and have 3D vision?
[quote name='vaustein' post='1070600' date='Jun 9 2010, 09:57 AM']The GLDirect project is one of the best things to happen to 3D Vision since NVidia all but dropped OpenGL support. You simply place the GLDirect build of opengl32.dll into the same folder as the game executable. Thanks to GLDirect, 3D is verified as working beautifully for the following games that I've tested so far:

- Star Wars Jedi Academy

Pros:

Cons:

Feel free to post the results of your experiments with GLDirect. I'll test this out with Doom 3 when I get the chance, although I'm not optimistic about GLDirect being compatible with the Doom 3 engine.

Does penumbra games works with this and have 3D vision?

Asus Z-170P bios version 8001 + Intel Core i5 6400 3.1@4.0 Ghz / Kingston SSD disk 120GB HyperX Fury / 8 GB Team-Elite DDR4 - 2133@2440Mhz / MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Posted 06/09/2010 08:24 AM   
[quote name='spajdr' post='1070612' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:24 AM']Does penumbra games works with this and have 3D vision?[/quote]

I don't know, since I haven't played Penumbra. Why don't you test it and report back the results?
[quote name='spajdr' post='1070612' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:24 AM']Does penumbra games works with this and have 3D vision?

I don't know, since I haven't played Penumbra. Why don't you test it and report back the results?

Posted 06/09/2010 08:30 AM   
let me guess this only runs with a 32bit OS?
let me guess this only runs with a 32bit OS?

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 3.30GHZ
32 gig Ram
2 EVGA GTX 1080 OC
3 X ASUS VG278HE
Nvidia 3Dvision
Oculus Rift
HTC VIVE
Windows 10

Posted 06/09/2010 10:13 AM   
Goddamn quake wars doesnt want to run either way. Im eager to hear about doom3 (wow so many mods).
Goddamn quake wars doesnt want to run either way. Im eager to hear about doom3 (wow so many mods).

Posted 06/09/2010 10:15 AM   
[quote name='msm903' post='1070666' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:13 AM']let me guess this only runs with a 32bit OS?[/quote]
That's the problem I ran into a while back when I tried GLDirect.
[quote name='msm903' post='1070666' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:13 AM']let me guess this only runs with a 32bit OS?

That's the problem I ran into a while back when I tried GLDirect.

Posted 06/09/2010 02:20 PM   
[quote name='Steve93138' post='1070755' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:20 AM']That's the problem I ran into a while back when I tried GLDirect.[/quote]

Damn Damn damn... just dusted off my Copy of Jedi Academy :(
[quote name='Steve93138' post='1070755' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:20 AM']That's the problem I ran into a while back when I tried GLDirect.

Damn Damn damn... just dusted off my Copy of Jedi Academy :(

32 gig Ram
2 EVGA GTX 1080 OC
3 X ASUS VG278HE
Nvidia 3Dvision
Oculus Rift
HTC VIVE
Windows 10

Posted 06/09/2010 02:27 PM   
Nope, I've been using GLdirect in w7 64-bit for a few months now. Tested q2, q3, Doomsday (opengl port of doom, It ROCKS!) Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy. It does NOT work on opengl 2.0 or later engines. So forget about Doom3 engine games or Riddick games. As far as "pop-out" goes, just adjust your convergence. Simple as that. I swear many people don't set convergences and just expect old games to be "good 3d" by default. I've gotten awesome popout in quake 2, with the right c-setting, rockets come right out of the screen. :) I think I posted GLdirect in another thread a long time ago. I guess no one paid any attention.
Nope, I've been using GLdirect in w7 64-bit for a few months now. Tested q2, q3, Doomsday (opengl port of doom, It ROCKS!) Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy. It does NOT work on opengl 2.0 or later engines. So forget about Doom3 engine games or Riddick games. As far as "pop-out" goes, just adjust your convergence. Simple as that. I swear many people don't set convergences and just expect old games to be "good 3d" by default. I've gotten awesome popout in quake 2, with the right c-setting, rockets come right out of the screen. :) I think I posted GLdirect in another thread a long time ago. I guess no one paid any attention.

AsRock X58 Extreme6 mobo
Intel Core-i7 950 @ 4ghz
12gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
ASUS DirectCU II GTX 780 3gb
Corsair TX 950w PSU
NZXT Phantom Red/Black Case
3d Vision 1 w/ Samsung 2233rz Monitor
3d Vision 2 w/ ASUS VG278HE Monitor

Posted 06/09/2010 05:10 PM   
i tried kingpin and half-life on vista64. you can get widescreen with a hex editor.
i tried kingpin and half-life on vista64. you can get widescreen with a hex editor.

NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Intel Core i7-6900K, Win 10 Pro,
ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10, G.Skill RipJaws V 4x 8GB DDR4-3200 CL14-14-14-34,
ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Predator XB280HK, BenQ W710ST

Posted 06/09/2010 05:51 PM   
[quote name='AcidBong' post='1070823' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:10 AM']Tested q2, q3, Doomsday (opengl port of doom, It ROCKS!) Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy.[/quote]

Doomsday crashes for me with GLDirect. Which version of Doomsday are you running, and what visual settings are you using? Also, can you run a test with DarkPlaces, the Quake 1 port? Sadly, it also crashes for me w/ GLDirect.

@msm903 I'm running Windows 7 x64.
[quote name='AcidBong' post='1070823' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:10 AM']Tested q2, q3, Doomsday (opengl port of doom, It ROCKS!) Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy.

Doomsday crashes for me with GLDirect. Which version of Doomsday are you running, and what visual settings are you using? Also, can you run a test with DarkPlaces, the Quake 1 port? Sadly, it also crashes for me w/ GLDirect.

Posted 06/09/2010 06:22 PM   
Has anyone tried IL-42 Sturmovik:1946 with this GLDirect for 3D Vision?
Has anyone tried IL-42 Sturmovik:1946 with this GLDirect for 3D Vision?

Game buying habit:3D games only

Intel Core i7 920 @4.2 GHz + ASUS P6T

Win7-64 Home Premium, GTX 770

Samsung HL61A750, Benq W1070 (123" of glorious 3D)

Posted 06/09/2010 06:44 PM   
can't wait to go home and test Jedi
can't wait to go home and test Jedi

32 gig Ram
2 EVGA GTX 1080 OC
3 X ASUS VG278HE
Nvidia 3Dvision
Oculus Rift
HTC VIVE
Windows 10

Posted 06/09/2010 08:49 PM   
[quote name='vaustein' post='1070872' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:22 PM']Doomsday crashes for me with GLDirect. Which version of Doomsday are you running, and what visual settings are you using? Also, can you run a test with DarkPlaces, the Quake 1 port? Sadly, it also crashes for me w/ GLDirect.

@msm903 I'm running Windows 7 x64.[/quote]

I'm running Doomsday Kickstart 2, with all the 3d models and texture replacements for doom and doom2 (jdoom resource pack). Also run orig heretic and hexen. Make sure your vid settings are for opengl, 32 bit color depth. I'm running at 1680x1050 res. Disabled EAX sound. Other than that everything else is default. I hope you can get it running, Doom is still so fun and even better in 3d. :)
I got quake 1 running as well, I've never played DarkPlaces so I can't comment on that one. cheers.
[quote name='vaustein' post='1070872' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:22 PM']Doomsday crashes for me with GLDirect. Which version of Doomsday are you running, and what visual settings are you using? Also, can you run a test with DarkPlaces, the Quake 1 port? Sadly, it also crashes for me w/ GLDirect.

I'm running Doomsday Kickstart 2, with all the 3d models and texture replacements for doom and doom2 (jdoom resource pack). Also run orig heretic and hexen. Make sure your vid settings are for opengl, 32 bit color depth. I'm running at 1680x1050 res. Disabled EAX sound. Other than that everything else is default. I hope you can get it running, Doom is still so fun and even better in 3d. :)

I got quake 1 running as well, I've never played DarkPlaces so I can't comment on that one. cheers.

AsRock X58 Extreme6 mobo
Intel Core-i7 950 @ 4ghz
Corsair TX 950w PSU

Posted 06/09/2010 11:06 PM   
@AcidBong. Where do you drop opengl32.dll? I put it in the same folder as Doomsday.exe.
@AcidBong. Where do you drop opengl32.dll? I put it in the same folder as Doomsday.exe.

Posted 06/09/2010 11:44 PM   
[quote name='vaustein' post='1071048' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:44 PM']@AcidBong. Where do you drop opengl32.dll? I put it in the same folder as Doomsday.exe.[/quote]

Doomsday\bin yeah where the .exe is. I'm really not sure how to help you if it's still crashing on ya. It worked first time for me. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
[quote name='vaustein' post='1071048' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:44 PM']@AcidBong. Where do you drop opengl32.dll? I put it in the same folder as Doomsday.exe.

Doomsday\bin yeah where the .exe is. I'm really not sure how to help you if it's still crashing on ya. It worked first time for me. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

AsRock X58 Extreme6 mobo
Intel Core-i7 950 @ 4ghz
Corsair TX 950w PSU

Posted 06/10/2010 01:12 AM   
  1 / 5    
Scroll To Top