The gaming rig that couldn't Microstutters and more.
So I bought a prebuilt comp (I know) and replaced the power supply and video card. It is a quad 2.4 GHz with 4 GB ddr2 ram, sata hard drive, 550 watt PS with a 8800gt card (512MB).

I have not gotten a single game to run properly on this system, at least one that is newer than diablo II.

Sacred 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest - Microstutters that are so bad they can cause headaches. FPS stays over 50, tried multiple settings (both in game and control panel), tried multiple drivers, and even multiple OS'

Fallout, Oblivion - The microstutter is there, though usually less pronounced. The real problem here is lighting. Pieces of terrain will go dark, as though no light is cast on them. It appears at certain angles without pattern. Once an area has been identified the glitch is reproducable. The size of the area can vary from a small corner to a city block.

HOMM5, Dragon Age - No settings or options give a decent enough fps to play. Even with the graphics set to 'crap' mode.

I am currently running Windows 7 64, I have tried XP 64 and Vista 32, the issues remain. I have tried multiple forceware drivers, even some home brewed ones. My drives are defragged, I have followed tweak guides for all applicable games.

The one exception is the Last Remnant, which runs beautifully on my system.

I have been monkeying around with this for nearly a year, and all I really want to do is game *sob*
So I bought a prebuilt comp (I know) and replaced the power supply and video card. It is a quad 2.4 GHz with 4 GB ddr2 ram, sata hard drive, 550 watt PS with a 8800gt card (512MB).

I have not gotten a single game to run properly on this system, at least one that is newer than diablo II.

Sacred 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest - Microstutters that are so bad they can cause headaches. FPS stays over 50, tried multiple settings (both in game and control panel), tried multiple drivers, and even multiple OS'

Fallout, Oblivion - The microstutter is there, though usually less pronounced. The real problem here is lighting. Pieces of terrain will go dark, as though no light is cast on them. It appears at certain angles without pattern. Once an area has been identified the glitch is reproducable. The size of the area can vary from a small corner to a city block.

HOMM5, Dragon Age - No settings or options give a decent enough fps to play. Even with the graphics set to 'crap' mode.

I am currently running Windows 7 64, I have tried XP 64 and Vista 32, the issues remain. I have tried multiple forceware drivers, even some home brewed ones. My drives are defragged, I have followed tweak guides for all applicable games.

I have been monkeying around with this for nearly a year, and all I really want to do is game *sob*

Posted 06/05/2010 01:27 AM   
try the graphics card in another pc? there could be a hardware fault with the card?

checked the temperatures of the graphics card incidentally?
try the graphics card in another pc? there could be a hardware fault with the card?

checked the temperatures of the graphics card incidentally?

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 06/05/2010 02:01 AM   
[quote name='Stormy Fairweather' post='1068338' date='Jun 4 2010, 08:27 PM']So I bought a prebuilt comp (I know) and replaced the power supply and video card. It is a quad 2.4 GHz with 4 GB ddr2 ram, sata hard drive, 550 watt PS with a 8800gt card (512MB).

I have been monkeying around with this for nearly a year, and all I really want to do is game *sob*[/quote]

what nvidia driver versions have you tried? best for 8-series cards are 169.xx 17x.xx, and the lower 18x.xx.
[quote name='Stormy Fairweather' post='1068338' date='Jun 4 2010, 08:27 PM']So I bought a prebuilt comp (I know) and replaced the power supply and video card. It is a quad 2.4 GHz with 4 GB ddr2 ram, sata hard drive, 550 watt PS with a 8800gt card (512MB).

what nvidia driver versions have you tried? best for 8-series cards are 169.xx 17x.xx, and the lower 18x.xx.

"Everytime you buy something from Walmart you're supporting commercial corporate terrorism and the CEO sacrifices a kitten; you're not a corporate terrorist supporting kitten killer are you!?!?!?"

HDMI is simply DVI + audio; if a monitor doesn't have speakers, THERE'S NO REASON FOR IT TO HAVE HDMI!

Posted 06/05/2010 02:01 AM   
I have tried drivers from the era, though I am using 197 now. I will rollback to 169 and stay there I guess.

The card does heat up, but never too much (80c). I have no easy way to test the card in another system... are there diagnostic programs that would do the trick?
I have tried drivers from the era, though I am using 197 now. I will rollback to 169 and stay there I guess.

The card does heat up, but never too much (80c). I have no easy way to test the card in another system... are there diagnostic programs that would do the trick?

Posted 06/05/2010 02:11 AM   
furmark

or the scan for artifacts option in atitool
furmark

or the scan for artifacts option in atitool

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 06/05/2010 12:28 PM   
Yeah, the ATI tool gave me zero errors over about four min, and the image was smooth and perfect. It kept saying 900+ fps, but there was no flicker or stutter or nuthing on that fuzzy cue.

Incidentally, I just loaded up startopia (2001) to play around a game that I should be able to run... and even that stutters terribly.
Yeah, the ATI tool gave me zero errors over about four min, and the image was smooth and perfect. It kept saying 900+ fps, but there was no flicker or stutter or nuthing on that fuzzy cue.

Incidentally, I just loaded up startopia (2001) to play around a game that I should be able to run... and even that stutters terribly.

Posted 06/06/2010 12:48 AM   
tried furmark? do tech demo's stutter? like the dark void benchmark or cryostasis tech demo
tried furmark? do tech demo's stutter? like the dark void benchmark or cryostasis tech demo

Posted 06/06/2010 12:56 AM   
The crypstatis demo runs like crap on all settings... most of the time. There are two points in the demo, one for about three seconds after the third door, and the second starting about 5 seconds before the final door is opened which runs perfectly smoothly. Apperently the fps got up to 93 during one or both of these times (repeatable) and stayed about 6 the rest of the time (1200x768, medium settings).

Just ran a test at the minimun settings, and I get the exact same behavior. I suppose that may mean my card is fried, or that the processor is way too slow.
The crypstatis demo runs like crap on all settings... most of the time. There are two points in the demo, one for about three seconds after the third door, and the second starting about 5 seconds before the final door is opened which runs perfectly smoothly. Apperently the fps got up to 93 during one or both of these times (repeatable) and stayed about 6 the rest of the time (1200x768, medium settings).

Just ran a test at the minimun settings, and I get the exact same behavior. I suppose that may mean my card is fried, or that the processor is way too slow.

Posted 06/07/2010 03:20 AM   
So... no further insight forthcoming?
So... no further insight forthcoming?

Posted 06/09/2010 10:04 AM   
sounds like the card is bad.....what monitor do u have.....and try a different set of cables......
sounds like the card is bad.....what monitor do u have.....and try a different set of cables......

intel i7 960
asus p6x58d premium
antec 1200 case
antec quattro 1200w psu
corsair xms dominator 1600 12 gig
2x intel x25-m 80 gig ssd
lg blu ray/dvd burner
23.6" acer 120hz
nvidia 3d vision
liquid cooled by koolance (custom)
windows 7 ultimate
G19---habu--razer nasa
2x EVGA gtx 480 hydro FTW

Posted 06/11/2010 12:23 AM   
I have an acer lcd. The montor seems pretty good. The card only has 2 outputs and both are DVI, swapping made no difference.

This issue may have been solved elsewhere. I just got DDO, and it runs good, and this game has all the makings of a full time occupation so I may not need to run other games.

,,,still, I am pretty unhappy about my comp. Thwe one thing that seems odd is that I have been getting this behavior for over a year now, and I would expect it to worsen were it due to a physical problem.
I have an acer lcd. The montor seems pretty good. The card only has 2 outputs and both are DVI, swapping made no difference.

This issue may have been solved elsewhere. I just got DDO, and it runs good, and this game has all the makings of a full time occupation so I may not need to run other games.

,,,still, I am pretty unhappy about my comp. Thwe one thing that seems odd is that I have been getting this behavior for over a year now, and I would expect it to worsen were it due to a physical problem.

Posted 06/14/2010 10:24 AM   
Scroll To Top