Intermittent tdr failure
Hey everyone,

I’ve been experiencing a very strange set of symptoms on that are driving me crazy. This is my first time posting in this kind of forum so please be patient. Here’s a list of symptoms:

The video driver will restart in Windows maybe once or twice a day. Sometimes the computer will have blue screens and reboot. Often the computer will stutter slightly and then freeze, often after a cold boot. Sometimes the computer will fail to recover from sleep mode and just show a black screen.

The weird part is if I reseat the video card many of the symptoms go away for about four days. During this time it will run L4D2, Battlefield2, and other 3d games without any issues. Gradually the system will begin to fail again. I’ve run memtest with no errors, and my video drivers, chipset drivers, and audio drivers are all up to date. I’ve also used drivesweeper to make sure only the newest driver exists on the system. I don't overclock anything. Heat isn't an issue because problems are just as likely to happen when the computer is doing nothing.

I’ve even installed WinDbg to try to dig into the crash dump files, but all the analysis did was give me more to Google, to no avail. From what I read here anything could be causing the video drivers to fail. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I bought the computer to play some great games but I honestly haven't seen as many blues screens since Windows Me!!

Specs:
Intel i5 650
Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333
Antec 650W PSU
GeForce GTS 250
Windows 7 64 bit
Hey everyone,

I’ve been experiencing a very strange set of symptoms on that are driving me crazy. This is my first time posting in this kind of forum so please be patient. Here’s a list of symptoms:

The video driver will restart in Windows maybe once or twice a day. Sometimes the computer will have blue screens and reboot. Often the computer will stutter slightly and then freeze, often after a cold boot. Sometimes the computer will fail to recover from sleep mode and just show a black screen.

The weird part is if I reseat the video card many of the symptoms go away for about four days. During this time it will run L4D2, Battlefield2, and other 3d games without any issues. Gradually the system will begin to fail again. I’ve run memtest with no errors, and my video drivers, chipset drivers, and audio drivers are all up to date. I’ve also used drivesweeper to make sure only the newest driver exists on the system. I don't overclock anything. Heat isn't an issue because problems are just as likely to happen when the computer is doing nothing.

I’ve even installed WinDbg to try to dig into the crash dump files, but all the analysis did was give me more to Google, to no avail. From what I read here anything could be causing the video drivers to fail. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I bought the computer to play some great games but I honestly haven't seen as many blues screens since Windows Me!!

Specs:

Intel i5 650

Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333

Antec 650W PSU

GeForce GTS 250

Windows 7 64 bit

Posted 06/03/2010 02:16 AM   
Welcome to the forums.

So the fact that you're getting BSODs really points to a harware issue. Just a simple tdr generally isn't going to make you BSOD.

My first thought is memory. How long did you run memtest for? I'd recommend running it over night. Just 1 pass through may not catch an issue.

Seems like you've got some knowledge so be insulted by this question.....did you manually set both voltage and timings for you memory in the bios.

Have you tried the graphics card in another machine or do you have a spare card to try in your current machine.
Welcome to the forums.

So the fact that you're getting BSODs really points to a harware issue. Just a simple tdr generally isn't going to make you BSOD.

My first thought is memory. How long did you run memtest for? I'd recommend running it over night. Just 1 pass through may not catch an issue.

Seems like you've got some knowledge so be insulted by this question.....did you manually set both voltage and timings for you memory in the bios.

Have you tried the graphics card in another machine or do you have a spare card to try in your current machine.

Posted 06/03/2010 02:24 AM   
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1067028' date='Jun 2 2010, 07:24 PM']Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried the graphics card in another machine or do you have a spare card to try in your current machine.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply! I was leaning towards the memory myself but I just about ruled it out because it passed a 2 hour memtest run. I'll try a longer run tonight. No worries about insulting questions.. I'm willing to try anything! I knew a lot about hardware 10 years ago (A+ cert) but not so much now, so I'm having to re-learn a lot of this stuff. On that note.. how critical is it to manually set the voltage and timings of the memory? I believe the bios is set to auto.

Unfortunately I don't have another machine or a spare card to test with.
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1067028' date='Jun 2 2010, 07:24 PM']Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was leaning towards the memory myself but I just about ruled it out because it passed a 2 hour memtest run. I'll try a longer run tonight. No worries about insulting questions.. I'm willing to try anything! I knew a lot about hardware 10 years ago (A+ cert) but not so much now, so I'm having to re-learn a lot of this stuff. On that note.. how critical is it to manually set the voltage and timings of the memory? I believe the bios is set to auto.

Unfortunately I don't have another machine or a spare card to test with.

Posted 06/03/2010 02:45 AM   
setting voltage and timing is huge! let's say for example you've got the voltage set too low. The pc could boot and everything would seem normal however you could run into the exact same issues you are running into now.
setting voltage and timing is huge! let's say for example you've got the voltage set too low. The pc could boot and everything would seem normal however you could run into the exact same issues you are running into now.

Posted 06/03/2010 02:55 AM   
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1067038' date='Jun 2 2010, 07:55 PM']setting voltage and timing is huge! let's say for example you've got the voltage set too low. The pc could boot and everything would seem normal however you could run into the exact same issues you are running into now.[/quote]

This sounds promising, thanks!!! So, for the memory I have, Khx1333c7d3k2/4g (specs at link below), I know the voltage is 1.7v and the frequency is 1333. As far as timing, the MB manual has a ton of options but not much to say about any of them. I always assumed this was for overclocking and left them alone. Is it safe to play around with these, and how would I know what settings to use?

[url="http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp"]http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp[/url]
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1067038' date='Jun 2 2010, 07:55 PM']setting voltage and timing is huge! let's say for example you've got the voltage set too low. The pc could boot and everything would seem normal however you could run into the exact same issues you are running into now.

This sounds promising, thanks!!! So, for the memory I have, Khx1333c7d3k2/4g (specs at link below), I know the voltage is 1.7v and the frequency is 1333. As far as timing, the MB manual has a ton of options but not much to say about any of them. I always assumed this was for overclocking and left them alone. Is it safe to play around with these, and how would I know what settings to use?

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp

Posted 06/03/2010 03:18 AM   
well when it come to your bios you're just gonna have to do some searching for a guide.

And no it's not just for overclocking. Really memory voltage and timings are something you need to set.
well when it come to your bios you're just gonna have to do some searching for a guide.

And no it's not just for overclocking. Really memory voltage and timings are something you need to set.

Posted 06/03/2010 03:37 AM   
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1067059' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:37 PM']well when it come to your bios you're just gonna have to do some searching for a guide.

And no it's not just for overclocking. Really memory voltage and timings are something you need to set.[/quote]

Ok, I made some changes in the bios and I'll make sure the kids test the machine thoroughly tomorrow. If all is well after a few days I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your help!
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1067059' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:37 PM']well when it come to your bios you're just gonna have to do some searching for a guide.

Ok, I made some changes in the bios and I'll make sure the kids test the machine thoroughly tomorrow. If all is well after a few days I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your help!

Posted 06/03/2010 04:32 AM   
[quote name='halldn' post='1067073' date='Jun 2 2010, 09:32 PM']Ok, I made some changes in the bios and I'll make sure the kids test the machine thoroughly tomorrow. If all is well after a few days I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your help![/quote]

Thanks again for your help, DJNOOB. The memory changes I made in the BIOS handled most of the symptoms the computer was having. I haven't seen any BSODs, and the freezes that happened after bootup have gone away. There are some remaining issues, but since they are probably hardware related I'll post them in the other forum.
[quote name='halldn' post='1067073' date='Jun 2 2010, 09:32 PM']Ok, I made some changes in the bios and I'll make sure the kids test the machine thoroughly tomorrow. If all is well after a few days I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks again for your help, DJNOOB. The memory changes I made in the BIOS handled most of the symptoms the computer was having. I haven't seen any BSODs, and the freezes that happened after bootup have gone away. There are some remaining issues, but since they are probably hardware related I'll post them in the other forum.

Posted 06/08/2010 12:33 AM   
good to hear. Glad we're on the right track.
good to hear. Glad we're on the right track.

Posted 06/08/2010 12:38 AM   
Scroll To Top