Toyification - a list of games that achieve this effect Please submit
  1 / 7    
[i]I have recently found out the Toyification Effect has been published as the Doll House Effect...[/i]

[b]What is toyification?[/b]
For those not in the know, 'toyification' is the unique effect that can only be achieved with stereo 3D. It is caused, I believe, by slightly stretching a 'fully deep' gameworld so it extends, pops out, slightly into the space infront of the screen. Once achieved, the game world changes into a distinctive, high definition, virtual model world. I guess it is result of perception - seeing your full sized character, model sized, in front of the screen; this obviously extends into the rest of the gameworld. However it can apparently make you feel nauseous and dizzy or worse though no-one here has ever mentioned it. It might not sound appealing but I, and it seems many others, think it looks great. Incidently to achieve this effect the subject game must be of showcase quality. :)

[b]How do you get toyification?[/b]
Simple. Use high depth and just add convergence.

[b]What games allow this toyification effect?[/b]
Any game where you can increase convergence at high depth without something breaking in the game or the 3D becoming uncomfortable to play over long sessions.

[b]Why don't all games allow toyification?[/b]
Often when you add convergence, something breaks in the game world. A good example would be Fallout 3 where increasing convergence quickly causes the PipBoy to pop-out the screen beyond confortable levels. Most games will toyificate but not all of them are playable this way.

[b]Toyification is NOT pop-out[/b]
Pop-out is achievable at most depths by adding convergence; this pushes the neutral point (where the images are alligned) into or out of the game. Toyification requires added convergence, with a high depth setting.

[b]For more information on the effect look here[/b]
[i]"For making stereo images of a distant object (e.g., a mountain with foothills), one can separate the camera positions by a larger distance (commonly called the "interocular") than the adult human norm of 62-65mm. This will effectively render the captured image as though it was seen by a giant, and thus will enhance the depth perception of these distant objects, and reduce the apparent scale of the scene proportionately. However, in this case care must be taken not to bring objects in the close foreground too close to the viewer, as they will require the viewer to become cross-eyed to resolve them."[/i] From [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscope#Longer_base_line"]wiki[/url]

[i]“When you take away cues, you create in the brain what is called the 'doll house' effect. The scene can be very precisely constructed, but it does not look real- it looks like a doll house- because your brain is saying that it's missing cues that are always present when viewing real scenes"[/i] From [url="http://en.ledgb.com/detail-3755.html"]Ledgb.com[/url]

[color="#4169E1"][b]Polite Request[/b]
Please only submit games that look good in 3D already. World in Conflict, for example toyificates, however it would never be recommend here because of the 2D icons floating about in the 3D field.[/color]

Thanks and please contribute

Andy
I have recently found out the Toyification Effect has been published as the Doll House Effect...

What is toyification?

For those not in the know, 'toyification' is the unique effect that can only be achieved with stereo 3D. It is caused, I believe, by slightly stretching a 'fully deep' gameworld so it extends, pops out, slightly into the space infront of the screen. Once achieved, the game world changes into a distinctive, high definition, virtual model world. I guess it is result of perception - seeing your full sized character, model sized, in front of the screen; this obviously extends into the rest of the gameworld. However it can apparently make you feel nauseous and dizzy or worse though no-one here has ever mentioned it. It might not sound appealing but I, and it seems many others, think it looks great. Incidently to achieve this effect the subject game must be of showcase quality. :)

How do you get toyification?

Simple. Use high depth and just add convergence.

What games allow this toyification effect?

Any game where you can increase convergence at high depth without something breaking in the game or the 3D becoming uncomfortable to play over long sessions.

Why don't all games allow toyification?

Often when you add convergence, something breaks in the game world. A good example would be Fallout 3 where increasing convergence quickly causes the PipBoy to pop-out the screen beyond confortable levels. Most games will toyificate but not all of them are playable this way.

Toyification is NOT pop-out

Pop-out is achievable at most depths by adding convergence; this pushes the neutral point (where the images are alligned) into or out of the game. Toyification requires added convergence, with a high depth setting.

For more information on the effect look here

"For making stereo images of a distant object (e.g., a mountain with foothills), one can separate the camera positions by a larger distance (commonly called the "interocular") than the adult human norm of 62-65mm. This will effectively render the captured image as though it was seen by a giant, and thus will enhance the depth perception of these distant objects, and reduce the apparent scale of the scene proportionately. However, in this case care must be taken not to bring objects in the close foreground too close to the viewer, as they will require the viewer to become cross-eyed to resolve them." From wiki

“When you take away cues, you create in the brain what is called the 'doll house' effect. The scene can be very precisely constructed, but it does not look real- it looks like a doll house- because your brain is saying that it's missing cues that are always present when viewing real scenes" From Ledgb.com

Polite Request

Please only submit games that look good in 3D already. World in Conflict, for example toyificates, however it would never be recommend here because of the 2D icons floating about in the 3D field.

Thanks and please contribute

Andy

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
-------------------
Vitals: Windows 7 64bit, i5 2500 @ 4.4ghz, GTX670, 8GB, Viewsonic VX2268WM

GameGrade 3D
Helix Mod - community fixes
Ramblings of a 3D Gamer (3D Reviews/Tweaks)
3dsolutionsgaming.com - videos, reviews and 3D fixes

Posted 06/01/2010 05:49 PM   
test Aion ([i]Remove player's name[/i]) Alice: Madness Returns Alien Breed: Impact ([i]Turn off dynamic shadows and focus convergence on your character[/i]) Alien Swarm ([i]and it is free![/i]) Assasin's Creed AudioSurf Batman: Arkham Asylum Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Black & White 2 Brutal Legend ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig[/i]) Civilization V Company of Heroes Containment: The Zombie Puzzler Darksiders Darksiders 2 ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig[/i]) Dawn of War 2 Dragon Age: Origins ([i]Top down view is impressive. Set convergence so character is at screen depth - at this setting 2D mouse is at the correct depth and double's less[/i] Empire: Total War ([i]The strategy world map has 2D icons, battles are fine[/i]) Firefall ([i]Turn off nameplates[/i]) Gothic 3 - ([i]Requires latest community patch which fixes the sky for 3D[/i] [url]http://www.worldofgothic.com/#496[/url]) GTA4 ([i]Turn off shadows and reflections - fortunately cars still have basic shadows. Use basic crosshair[/i]) GTA:SA Guildwars 2 ([i]Set shadows to low - ground spell effects cut into ground at high levels[/i] Half-Life 2 + EPs Just Cause 2 Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ([i]Use Helix Mod in sig but remove the 3D HUD files as per instructions[/i]) Legend of Grimrock ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig[/i]) Lego: Star Wars Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) ([i]Need to disable player names and crosshair[/i]) Max Payne 2 Max Payne 3 Medieval 2: Total War ([i]The strategy world map has 2D icons, battles are fine[/i]) Mirrors Edge ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig[/i]) Napoleon: Total War ([i]The strategy world map has 2D icons, battles are fine[/i]) Path of Exile ([i]Turn off nameplates[/i]) Prince of Persia Quantum Conundrum ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig[/i]) Sonic Heroes Starcraft 2 SW:TOR ([i]Turn off nameplates[/i]) Street Fighter 4 Supersonic Sled The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion ([i]3rd person only, remove shadows and crosshair or use nVidia's[/i]) The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim ([i]Use Helix Mod in sig, 3rd person fine, comfortable low to moderate toyification can also be achieved in 1st person by using [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215250&view=findpost&p=1334072"]these[/url] settings[/i]) The Secret World ([i]Turn off nameplates[/i]) The Witcher ([i]Use the Camera Mod, allows scrolling from First Person to 3rd Person, high res texture packs.[/i] [url]http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/203[/url]) The Witcher 2 ([i]Go [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=200281&view=findpost&p=1319928"]here[/url] for .ini settings but set ConvergenceOutside=1.5[/i]) Tiger Woods 08 Tombraider Underworld Torchlight ([i]Set convergence so character is at screen depth - at this setting 2D mouse is at the correct depth and doesnt double[/i] Torchlight 2 ([i]Not quite as good as first one as isometric viewing angle seems greater reducing toyification limit. Set convergence so character is at screen depth.[/i] Toy Soldiers ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig[/i]) Trine Trine 2 Wargame: European Escalation ([i]remove lenseflare in .ini and set shader to low [Unlike the 'Very Low' setting, only subtle visual differences between Low and High shaders][/i]) World of Tanks [color="#FF0000"][s]World of Warcraft[/s][/color] ([i]currently broken by patch, may get fixed by another[/i]) XCOM: Enemy Unknown ([i]Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig; Use 2D HUD preset/controller and turn off all action cameras.[/i]) [b]Also consider:[/b] Avatar ([i]pop-out of player character may be uncomfortable[/i]) Burnout Paradise ([i]tail lights at incorrect depth[/i]) Mass Effect 2 ([i]Need to remove HUD and crosshair - [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=171771&view=findpost&p=1085663"]follow me[/url] for solution[/i])
test

Aion (Remove player's name)
Alice: Madness Returns
Alien Breed: Impact (Turn off dynamic shadows and focus convergence on your character)
Alien Swarm (and it is free!)
Assasin's Creed
AudioSurf
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Black & White 2
Brutal Legend (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig)
Civilization V
Company of Heroes
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler
Darksiders
Darksiders 2 (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig)
Dawn of War 2
Dragon Age: Origins (Top down view is impressive. Set convergence so character is at screen depth - at this setting 2D mouse is at the correct depth and double's less
Empire: Total War (The strategy world map has 2D icons, battles are fine)
Firefall (Turn off nameplates)
Gothic 3 - (Requires latest community patch which fixes the sky for 3D http://www.worldofgothic.com/#496)
GTA4 (Turn off shadows and reflections - fortunately cars still have basic shadows. Use basic crosshair)
GTA:SA
Guildwars 2 (Set shadows to low - ground spell effects cut into ground at high levels
Half-Life 2 + EPs
Just Cause 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (Use Helix Mod in sig but remove the 3D HUD files as per instructions)
Legend of Grimrock (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig)
Lego: Star Wars
Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) (Need to disable player names and crosshair)
Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
Medieval 2: Total War (The strategy world map has 2D icons, battles are fine)
Mirrors Edge (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig)
Napoleon: Total War (The strategy world map has 2D icons, battles are fine)
Path of Exile (Turn off nameplates)
Prince of Persia
Quantum Conundrum (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig)
Sonic Heroes
Starcraft 2
SW:TOR (Turn off nameplates)
Street Fighter 4
Supersonic Sled
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (3rd person only, remove shadows and crosshair or use nVidia's)
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (Use Helix Mod in sig, 3rd person fine, comfortable low to moderate toyification can also be achieved in 1st person by using these settings)
The Secret World (Turn off nameplates)
The Witcher (Use the Camera Mod, allows scrolling from First Person to 3rd Person, high res texture packs. http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/203)
The Witcher 2 (Go here for .ini settings but set ConvergenceOutside=1.5)
Tiger Woods 08
Tombraider Underworld
Torchlight (Set convergence so character is at screen depth - at this setting 2D mouse is at the correct depth and doesnt double
Torchlight 2 (Not quite as good as first one as isometric viewing angle seems greater reducing toyification limit. Set convergence so character is at screen depth.
Toy Soldiers (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig)
Trine
Trine 2
Wargame: European Escalation (remove lenseflare in .ini and set shader to low [Unlike the 'Very Low' setting, only subtle visual differences between Low and High shaders])
World of Tanks
World of Warcraft (currently broken by patch, may get fixed by another)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Use the Helix Mod fix - see sig; Use 2D HUD preset/controller and turn off all action cameras.)

Also consider:
Avatar (pop-out of player character may be uncomfortable)
Burnout Paradise (tail lights at incorrect depth)
Mass Effect 2 (Need to remove HUD and crosshair - follow me for solution)

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
-------------------

GameGrade 3D

Posted 06/01/2010 05:50 PM   
I love the toyification effect. If possible I play all of my games like that. Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 are not nearly as fun for me without it. :D ;) [quote name='andysonofbob' post='1065972' date='Jun 1 2010, 01:50 PM'][b]Good examples of games which toyificate[/b] Assasin's Creed AudioSurf Batman: Arkham Asylum GTA4 GTA:SA Half-Life 2 + EPs Medieval2:Total War The Witcher Tombraider Underworld Torchlight (Set convergence so character is at screen depth - at this setting 2D mouse is at the correct depth and doesnt double ;))< -------------- World of Warcraft (pre 1.12)[/quote]
I love the toyification effect. If possible I play all of my games like that. Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 are not nearly as fun for me without it.
:D ;)
[quote name='andysonofbob' post='1065972' date='Jun 1 2010, 01:50 PM']Good examples of games which toyificate

Assasin's Creed
AudioSurf
Batman: Arkham Asylum
GTA4
GTA:SA
Half-Life 2 + EPs
Medieval2:Total War
The Witcher
Tombraider Underworld
Torchlight (Set convergence so character is at screen depth - at this setting 2D mouse is at the correct depth and doesnt double ;))<

--------------

World of Warcraft (pre 1.12)

Posted 06/01/2010 06:12 PM   
Do you guys have any screenshots of what toyification is supposed to look like?
Do you guys have any screenshots of what toyification is supposed to look like?

Posted 06/01/2010 07:16 PM   
Works with battlefield badco too.

But I think I did it with that depth reg file ? (don't remember)
Works with battlefield badco too.

But I think I did it with that depth reg file ? (don't remember)

Intel I7 930 2.8 Ghz (3.75 Ghz)MSI MS7760 Motherboard, 6GB )2x MSI GTX670 (SLI),OCZ SSD 30Gb,OCZ SSD Agility 120Gb, Asus 3D VG278HR ,Optoma HD67 3D DLP Beamer with 95inch 2.5 gain screen.

Posted 06/01/2010 07:53 PM   
I have this in sonic heroes on a small screen. However when gaming on a big rig objects gets more lifesizelike. Don't know if it's really should be called "toyification" when using a big screen. It's more like really entering the gameworld, especially for some games. It's also way nicer playing with more depth (most things within the screen and keep popout for those rare golden moments you get a rocket in your face or similar.
I have this in sonic heroes on a small screen. However when gaming on a big rig objects gets more lifesizelike. Don't know if it's really should be called "toyification" when using a big screen. It's more like really entering the gameworld, especially for some games. It's also way nicer playing with more depth (most things within the screen and keep popout for those rare golden moments you get a rocket in your face or similar.

Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Cpu: C2D E6600

Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX

3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Stereodrivers: Iz3d & Tridef ignition and nvidia old school.

Posted 06/01/2010 08:33 PM   
[quote name='Steve93138' post='1066029' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:16 PM']Do you guys have any screenshots of what toyification is supposed to look like?[/quote]
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=150581&view=findpost&p=1024312"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1024312[/url]

look at the above link link and download GTA, Tombraider and AC. NOT prototype.

I tried to upload a comparason but I have run out of room. How do I clear my attachment space?
[quote name='Steve93138' post='1066029' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:16 PM']Do you guys have any screenshots of what toyification is supposed to look like?

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1024312

look at the above link link and download GTA, Tombraider and AC. NOT prototype.

I tried to upload a comparason but I have run out of room. How do I clear my attachment space?

-------------------

GameGrade 3D

Posted 06/01/2010 09:08 PM   
Dawn of war 2, company of heroes, star wars empire at war. Pretty much all rts games I have tried showcase this very very well.
Dawn of war 2, company of heroes, star wars empire at war. Pretty much all rts games I have tried showcase this very very well.

Q6600 @ 3.2 (1600)
4 gb ram Linked and Synced
EVGA 780i
2 x EVGA GTX275 F.T.W. Editions
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750
Crapload of fans

Posted 06/02/2010 02:33 AM   
Hello again. Will add the titles. Thanks :)

@ Steve
I sussed out how to manage my attachments - I went into the 'manage my attachments' section :">

This link shows WoW. Unfortunately I havent done a direct comparason but you should see what I mean. The two attachments with should in the title show the effect, the other two do not.
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=163485&view=findpost&p=1023641"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1023641[/url]

However the attachment shows a direct comparason in Torchlight; though it doesn't do it justice. You obviously need to see it moving - it looks as though you a raiding in a high detailed, high definition model world.

@ Likey
With respect (I see you are clearly a veteran stereo gamer - good man!), the subject effect is very distinctive and believe it would remain so on a cinema screen. 100% depth with plenty of convergence yah? Doesnt the model world simply become a much bigger model world? :)
Toyification is prolly not the best way to describe it though. Modelification? Dude, you come up with a noun to describe it!
Hello again. Will add the titles. Thanks :)

@ Steve

I sussed out how to manage my attachments - I went into the 'manage my attachments' section :">

This link shows WoW. Unfortunately I havent done a direct comparason but you should see what I mean. The two attachments with should in the title show the effect, the other two do not.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1023641

However the attachment shows a direct comparason in Torchlight; though it doesn't do it justice. You obviously need to see it moving - it looks as though you a raiding in a high detailed, high definition model world.

@ Likey

With respect (I see you are clearly a veteran stereo gamer - good man!), the subject effect is very distinctive and believe it would remain so on a cinema screen. 100% depth with plenty of convergence yah? Doesnt the model world simply become a much bigger model world? :)

Toyification is prolly not the best way to describe it though. Modelification? Dude, you come up with a noun to describe it!

-------------------

GameGrade 3D

Posted 06/02/2010 07:24 AM   
i think Street Fighter IV should be the first on that list xD
i think Street Fighter IV should be the first on that list xD
Kk, just had a look at the linked screenies, and I can see why it's referred to as toyification. But do you guys really play with thos settings. I already ofound it exhausting to look at stills with these settings, I can only imagine my eyes melting out of my head if I attempted to play like that...
Kk, just had a look at the linked screenies, and I can see why it's referred to as toyification. But do you guys really play with thos settings. I already ofound it exhausting to look at stills with these settings, I can only imagine my eyes melting out of my head if I attempted to play like that...

Posted 06/02/2010 09:24 AM   
I think my favourite so far with this effect are , Medieval War 2 and Burnout Paradise.
I think my favourite so far with this effect are , Medieval War 2 and Burnout Paradise.

Posted 06/02/2010 11:36 AM   
Cheers dudes! Updated. Forgot about Street Fighter 4. Got that on a recommendation here. Looks great. It just changes before the fighter's legs clip the HUD.

@ jmbuehler
Your eyes completely adjust to it. I used to wear glasses for driving but I no longer need to. I guess this is because playing games strained my eyes but now they look through the monitor I have restored some sight. I can read number plates a good 2-3 cars further than I could! :)

@ pele01
Is there any way of removing the corona effect from the tail lights? They become rendered incorrectly when I add convergence... I understand this isnt too annoying (being only two lights) but it frustrates me.

Thanks!
Cheers dudes! Updated. Forgot about Street Fighter 4. Got that on a recommendation here. Looks great. It just changes before the fighter's legs clip the HUD.

@ jmbuehler

Your eyes completely adjust to it. I used to wear glasses for driving but I no longer need to. I guess this is because playing games strained my eyes but now they look through the monitor I have restored some sight. I can read number plates a good 2-3 cars further than I could! :)

@ pele01

Is there any way of removing the corona effect from the tail lights? They become rendered incorrectly when I add convergence... I understand this isnt too annoying (being only two lights) but it frustrates me.

Thanks!

-------------------

GameGrade 3D

Posted 06/02/2010 03:57 PM   
[img]http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/22610/ss_a8b1ee72c5bdc8b464939488407b5212079e4dd4.600x338.jpg[/img]

Alien breed, 23hours away from impact. Get your demo on steam now!

Alien breed, 23hours away from impact. Get your demo on steam now!

Posted 06/02/2010 06:43 PM   
I haven't tested this myself but I would expect Dragon Age: Origins to be good with this effect
I haven't tested this myself but I would expect Dragon Age: Origins to be good with this effect

Posted 06/02/2010 11:05 PM   
  1 / 7    
Scroll To Top