NVIDIA 9800GTS with 1GB of dedicated video RAM Any Good? Laptop Video Card
  1 / 2    
[b]hi im going to get a laptop and it has NVIDIA 9800GTS with 1GB of dedicated video RAM was just wonder'n if anyone out there has one in there laptop and can tell me if its running games good?[/b]
hi im going to get a laptop and it has NVIDIA 9800GTS with 1GB of dedicated video RAM was just wonder'n if anyone out there has one in there laptop and can tell me if its running games good?

Posted 05/22/2010 09:09 PM   
[b]hi im going to get a laptop and it has NVIDIA 9800GTS with 1GB of dedicated video RAM was just wonder'n if anyone out there has one in there laptop and can tell me if its running games good?[/b]
hi im going to get a laptop and it has NVIDIA 9800GTS with 1GB of dedicated video RAM was just wonder'n if anyone out there has one in there laptop and can tell me if its running games good?

Posted 05/22/2010 09:09 PM   
Many of us on this forum believe laptop and gaming do not mix because laptops have a really hard time keeping cool when gaming.

IMO, that 9800GTX should be fine to game with, but wat are the rest of the specs. Those other specs can easily bog down the performance for gaming.

Gaming is no longer about how powerful a graphic card is, the whole package has to be balanced. You computer is as fast as the slowest part in it.
Many of us on this forum believe laptop and gaming do not mix because laptops have a really hard time keeping cool when gaming.

IMO, that 9800GTX should be fine to game with, but wat are the rest of the specs. Those other specs can easily bog down the performance for gaming.

Gaming is no longer about how powerful a graphic card is, the whole package has to be balanced. You computer is as fast as the slowest part in it.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 05/22/2010 09:20 PM   

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 05/22/2010 09:20 PM   
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1060040' date='May 22 2010, 10:20 PM']Many of us on this forum believe laptop and gaming do not mix because laptops have a really hard time keeping cool when gaming.

Gaming is no longer about how powerful a graphic card is, the whole package has to be balanced. You computer is as fast as the slowest part in it.[/quote]

[b]Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400@2.26GHz
GPU: NVIDIA 9800GTS with 1GB of dedicated video RAM
RAM: 4GB DDR3 PC-8500
HDD: 320GB 7200RPM Drive with second empty drive bay
Display: 17" WUXGA 1920x1200 Full HD
Optical: 8xDVD±RW with LabelFlash
Wi-Fi: Intel 5100AGN

Other: 1.3MP Webcam
HDMI Out,
3x USB 2.0 Ports
e-Sata Port
Firewire Port
Gigabit Ethernet Port
Built-in 56K Modem
Headphone Jack
Microphone Jack

And was going to get a good cooling pad also to help keep the laptop cool.[/b]
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1060040' date='May 22 2010, 10:20 PM']Many of us on this forum believe laptop and gaming do not mix because laptops have a really hard time keeping cool when gaming.

Specs:

HDMI Out,

3x USB 2.0 Ports

e-Sata Port

Firewire Port

Gigabit Ethernet Port

Built-in 56K Modem

Headphone Jack

Microphone Jack

And was going to get a good cooling pad also to help keep the laptop cool.

Posted 05/22/2010 10:00 PM   

Gaming is no longer about how powerful a graphic card is, the whole package has to be balanced. You computer is as fast as the slowest part in it.[/quote]

[b]Specs:

HDMI Out,
3x USB 2.0 Ports
e-Sata Port
Firewire Port
Gigabit Ethernet Port
Built-in 56K Modem
Headphone Jack
Microphone Jack

And was going to get a good cooling pad also to help keep the laptop cool.[/b]

Specs:

HDMI Out,

3x USB 2.0 Ports

e-Sata Port

Firewire Port

Gigabit Ethernet Port

Built-in 56K Modem

Headphone Jack

Microphone Jack

And was going to get a good cooling pad also to help keep the laptop cool.

Posted 05/22/2010 10:00 PM   
With that amount ram and that video card I would have though they would have put a much faster processor in it. That may bottleneck the GPU and not let you realize the full performance of the video card.
With that amount ram and that video card I would have though they would have put a much faster processor in it. That may bottleneck the GPU and not let you realize the full performance of the video card.

Processor: AMD Phenom IIx2 3.1ghz unlocked to 4 cores 3.33 ghz, 8 gigs OCZ DDR3 1600 Memory,WD 250 gig HD, Onboard sound, 22x DVD/RW drive ,Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker and sub, MOMO Racing FF Wheel and Pedals, ECS GT240 1gb GDDR5, Thermaltake 775w Modular Power Supply

Posted 05/23/2010 01:10 AM   

Processor: AMD Phenom IIx2 3.1ghz unlocked to 4 cores 3.33 ghz, 8 gigs OCZ DDR3 1600 Memory,WD 250 gig HD, Onboard sound, 22x DVD/RW drive ,Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker and sub, MOMO Racing FF Wheel and Pedals, ECS GT240 1gb GDDR5, Thermaltake 775w Modular Power Supply

Posted 05/23/2010 01:10 AM   
I wouldn't neccessarily say that he'd be bottlneced by the CPU however I would totally agree that you're not really going to be getting a great gaming experience on a laptop with that kind of hardware.

Although, what games are wanting to play?

Why are you considering a laptop in the first place? For the same kind of money you could probably build yourself a nice desktop gaming rig.
I wouldn't neccessarily say that he'd be bottlneced by the CPU however I would totally agree that you're not really going to be getting a great gaming experience on a laptop with that kind of hardware.

Why are you considering a laptop in the first place? For the same kind of money you could probably build yourself a nice desktop gaming rig.

Posted 05/23/2010 01:31 AM   

Posted 05/23/2010 01:31 AM   
The spec's seem more like a multi-media laptop than a gaming laptop.You will be bottle necked with the cpu and the gpu will not be able to keep up with the native screen resolution on many of the game's released in the last two year's.

The only way to keep up with the 1920x1200 screen resolution would be if it's sli and if that's the case you would be severely cpu bottle necked.

As other's have noted laptop's need to be balanced out for throughput even more so than desktop's.

If you give us list of what you want to do we could help you make a very informed decision based on our own experience's instead of manufacturer
misadvertising oop's i mean advertising.
The spec's seem more like a multi-media laptop than a gaming laptop.You will be bottle necked with the cpu and the gpu will not be able to keep up with the native screen resolution on many of the game's released in the last two year's.

The only way to keep up with the 1920x1200 screen resolution would be if it's sli and if that's the case you would be severely cpu bottle necked.

As other's have noted laptop's need to be balanced out for throughput even more so than desktop's.

If you give us list of what you want to do we could help you make a very informed decision based on our own experience's instead of manufacturer

Posted 05/23/2010 02:36 AM   

Posted 05/23/2010 02:36 AM   

I did not know you could get 1920x1200 on a 17" screen.
is this something new, or did I miss I something.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Posted 05/23/2010 03:45 AM   

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Posted 05/23/2010 03:45 AM   
Yes it should work fine depending on which game you play on:) But on games like crysis 2, you will experience some slow down on higher settings.
Yes it should work fine depending on which game you play on:) But on games like crysis 2, you will experience some slow down on higher settings.

1/10 Winners for PC Gamer's Geforce LAN 6 Giveaway :)

Posted 05/23/2010 04:30 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top