Red Vertical lines on monitor
  1 / 2    
Hi guys,

Got a problem which i'll split into 2 segments to make it easier to read.

1. I was playing Football Manager 2 nights ago and suddenly the computer crashed and i got the Blue Screen of Death before the computer restarted and iput it into Safe Mode. The computer had about 4 blocks of vertical red lines but when i restarted back into normal mode they went away. This happened again the same night while playing Football Manager.

I did a virus scan with Avast which found 10 or so 'infected' files but after looking around the net i think these were just false positives.

Again the PC has crashed earlier today while playing Football Manager but with the Blue Screen of Death this time. Again the red lines appeared as i took it into safe mode first and then went away after i put it into normal mode. I checked Problems and Solutions in Windows and it said was due to a video adapter error or something and the solution was to download the new video driver and i installed it.

However, it was has crashed again while playing Football Manager. This time it just froze and there was noBlue Screen of Death. I put it into safe mode and rebooted back into normal mode, but unlike before the red vertical lines stay. I also used system restore to take the computer back to the settings of 2 days ago but again the red lines are there.

I checked some advice online which said to go into Safe mode and uninstall the video adapter and then go back into normal mode, set the resolution and download the driver. I uninstalled the video driver in safe mode but the problem was still there when i went back into normal mode and the windows software was automatically installing the new adapater as soon as windows started anyway.

2. Anyway, next morning the red lines are gone which is a surprise. However, was watching something on 4OD last night and again the same thing happened - got this scotch pattern of red but no BSOD. Shut down manually using power button.

Went to bed, put the PC on this morning and no red lines again. However, after using the PC for about half an hour, i tried to open a notepad file and the monitor just went into standy (blue 'on' light turned to orange and would not change). Again restarted manually by switching off from power button and the computer started up but instead of going to the windows screen i just got this complete light blue screen for ages then the BSOD again.

I changed the settings so the computer doesn't auto restart so i managed to get down the details:

***STOP: 0x00000116 (0x8A653238. 0x90EF4A50, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

*** NVLDDMK.SYS - Address 90EF4A50 base at 90E0A000, Datestamp 4bb7df30

I'm getting a monitor from a friend tonight to try that out but more and more i'm thinking this is a video card error. Also, i got Vista to check for system file corruption and got this message:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

I have accessed the CBS file but can't make any sense of it?

PLus, I've checked Device Manager and the nvidia card has the exclamation mark logo next to it and under device status it presents the regular message if something is wrong: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

The following are my specs:

Graphics card : NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
RAM: 3GB

I have the most recent version of the driver for the graphics card according to the nvidia site. Although i have the English USA version installed rather than the English UK one but this shouldn't be making any obvious difference with regards to the above problem?
Hi guys,

Got a problem which i'll split into 2 segments to make it easier to read.

1. I was playing Football Manager 2 nights ago and suddenly the computer crashed and i got the Blue Screen of Death before the computer restarted and iput it into Safe Mode. The computer had about 4 blocks of vertical red lines but when i restarted back into normal mode they went away. This happened again the same night while playing Football Manager.

I did a virus scan with Avast which found 10 or so 'infected' files but after looking around the net i think these were just false positives.

Again the PC has crashed earlier today while playing Football Manager but with the Blue Screen of Death this time. Again the red lines appeared as i took it into safe mode first and then went away after i put it into normal mode. I checked Problems and Solutions in Windows and it said was due to a video adapter error or something and the solution was to download the new video driver and i installed it.

However, it was has crashed again while playing Football Manager. This time it just froze and there was noBlue Screen of Death. I put it into safe mode and rebooted back into normal mode, but unlike before the red vertical lines stay. I also used system restore to take the computer back to the settings of 2 days ago but again the red lines are there.

I checked some advice online which said to go into Safe mode and uninstall the video adapter and then go back into normal mode, set the resolution and download the driver. I uninstalled the video driver in safe mode but the problem was still there when i went back into normal mode and the windows software was automatically installing the new adapater as soon as windows started anyway.

2. Anyway, next morning the red lines are gone which is a surprise. However, was watching something on 4OD last night and again the same thing happened - got this scotch pattern of red but no BSOD. Shut down manually using power button.

Went to bed, put the PC on this morning and no red lines again. However, after using the PC for about half an hour, i tried to open a notepad file and the monitor just went into standy (blue 'on' light turned to orange and would not change). Again restarted manually by switching off from power button and the computer started up but instead of going to the windows screen i just got this complete light blue screen for ages then the BSOD again.

I changed the settings so the computer doesn't auto restart so i managed to get down the details:

***STOP: 0x00000116 (0x8A653238. 0x90EF4A50, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

*** NVLDDMK.SYS - Address 90EF4A50 base at 90E0A000, Datestamp 4bb7df30

I'm getting a monitor from a friend tonight to try that out but more and more i'm thinking this is a video card error. Also, i got Vista to check for system file corruption and got this message:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

I have accessed the CBS file but can't make any sense of it?

PLus, I've checked Device Manager and the nvidia card has the exclamation mark logo next to it and under device status it presents the regular message if something is wrong: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

The following are my specs:

Graphics card : NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz

RAM: 3GB

I have the most recent version of the driver for the graphics card according to the nvidia site. Although i have the English USA version installed rather than the English UK one but this shouldn't be making any obvious difference with regards to the above problem?

Posted 05/19/2010 04:21 PM   
When you boot into safe mode you are using the standard windows driver not the nvidia one. And sad to say most times when you see graphical errors with a windows driver this usually is a sign of the hardware going bad.

Also the reason you boot sector keeps getting corrupted is because it hangs during startup and you have to force a restart without properly shutting down.

I have a question though do you monitor your GPUs temps? and if so whats the idle and load temps?
When you boot into safe mode you are using the standard windows driver not the nvidia one. And sad to say most times when you see graphical errors with a windows driver this usually is a sign of the hardware going bad.

Also the reason you boot sector keeps getting corrupted is because it hangs during startup and you have to force a restart without properly shutting down.

I have a question though do you monitor your GPUs temps? and if so whats the idle and load temps?

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 05/19/2010 04:50 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1058321' date='May 19 2010, 05:50 PM']When you boot into safe mode you are using the standard windows driver not the nvidia one. And sad to say most times when you see graphical errors with a windows driver this usually is a sign of the hardware going bad.

I have a question though do you monitor your GPUs temps? and if so whats the idle and load temps?[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks i'm leaning strongly to the GPU being faulty but really hoping i can somehow save things as i can't afford to pay for new hardware! I'm afraid i don't monitor the GPU's temps so can't give you any data :(

I did find this : [url="http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/91986-post4.html"]Link[/url]

Tried following it but seems like it isn't working either. I guess i need to buy another graphics card eh
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1058321' date='May 19 2010, 05:50 PM']When you boot into safe mode you are using the standard windows driver not the nvidia one. And sad to say most times when you see graphical errors with a windows driver this usually is a sign of the hardware going bad.

Hi,

Thanks i'm leaning strongly to the GPU being faulty but really hoping i can somehow save things as i can't afford to pay for new hardware! I'm afraid i don't monitor the GPU's temps so can't give you any data :(

I did find this : Link

Tried following it but seems like it isn't working either. I guess i need to buy another graphics card eh

Posted 05/20/2010 12:45 AM   
Also i checked and the GPU fan is still spinning. It must be working to some effect as i touched the GPU while running and it was reasonably hot as expected but not burning (i would be able to keep my hand on it without fear of scalding).

Some friends have told me to run a driver cleaner then install the official latest driver again. However i am hesitant because i have heard bad things about driver cleaners as completely messing up entire systems.

Really not sure what to do now
Also i checked and the GPU fan is still spinning. It must be working to some effect as i touched the GPU while running and it was reasonably hot as expected but not burning (i would be able to keep my hand on it without fear of scalding).

Some friends have told me to run a driver cleaner then install the official latest driver again. However i am hesitant because i have heard bad things about driver cleaners as completely messing up entire systems.

Really not sure what to do now

Posted 05/21/2010 12:11 PM   
Not any driver cleaner but this one.
[url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html"]http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Drive...nload-1655.html[/url]

The trick here is when you scan for drivers to remove make sure to only remove the nvidia display drivers. Also you will need to manually go to add or remove programs in the windows control panel and make sure the nvidia display drivers were removed and delete any stereoscopic drivers and the nvidia control panel. Do all this before you restart to install the new driver. best to download the driver to the desktop where it can be gotten easily.
Not any driver cleaner but this one.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Drive...nload-1655.html

The trick here is when you scan for drivers to remove make sure to only remove the nvidia display drivers. Also you will need to manually go to add or remove programs in the windows control panel and make sure the nvidia display drivers were removed and delete any stereoscopic drivers and the nvidia control panel. Do all this before you restart to install the new driver. best to download the driver to the desktop where it can be gotten easily.

Posted 05/21/2010 12:51 PM   
If you are still getting these red lines have you tried going into the bios to see if the red lines are there as well?

If they are present in the bios screen then its a problem with the hardware of the card and not the driver files.

another thing you could try is to download a Linux live cd, like Knoppix Live CD or Ubuntu Live CD and see if you get the artifacts there as well.

I had a similar problem with red lines on my screen and it turned out that the problem was bad solder joints on the board.

I cooked my card in the oven and it fixed it.
Read [url="http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658"]http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658[/url] for details of similar issues.
If you are still getting these red lines have you tried going into the bios to see if the red lines are there as well?

If they are present in the bios screen then its a problem with the hardware of the card and not the driver files.

another thing you could try is to download a Linux live cd, like Knoppix Live CD or Ubuntu Live CD and see if you get the artifacts there as well.

I had a similar problem with red lines on my screen and it turned out that the problem was bad solder joints on the board.

I cooked my card in the oven and it fixed it.

Read http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658 for details of similar issues.

Posted 05/21/2010 02:18 PM   
Cooking a card should only be tried when there is no other option. We have forum members who have used that method and it rarely works because it will only fix micro fissures in the solder. For any other issue it will only make the GPU into a paper weight.

Do as you please as its your property but as I stated that method only works if the issue is solder related and rarely then.

EG
Cooking a card should only be tried when there is no other option. We have forum members who have used that method and it rarely works because it will only fix micro fissures in the solder. For any other issue it will only make the GPU into a paper weight.

Do as you please as its your property but as I stated that method only works if the issue is solder related and rarely then.

EG

Posted 05/21/2010 02:29 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1059364' date='May 21 2010, 03:29 PM']Cooking a card should only be tried when there is no other option. We have forum members who have used that method and it rarely works because it will only fix micro fissures in the solder. For any other issue it will only make the GPU into a paper weight.

EG[/quote]

Good point there, I should have added that myself.
In my own case it was a last resort as I was resigned to the fact that my card was screwed and I would be buying a new one.
At that point to me it was a paperweight, since the artefacts were coming up in the bios screen I knew that it wasn't software related.

But yeah, goes without saying, unless you have exhausted all other options, cooking should not be considered.
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1059364' date='May 21 2010, 03:29 PM']Cooking a card should only be tried when there is no other option. We have forum members who have used that method and it rarely works because it will only fix micro fissures in the solder. For any other issue it will only make the GPU into a paper weight.

EG

Good point there, I should have added that myself.

In my own case it was a last resort as I was resigned to the fact that my card was screwed and I would be buying a new one.

At that point to me it was a paperweight, since the artefacts were coming up in the bios screen I knew that it wasn't software related.

But yeah, goes without saying, unless you have exhausted all other options, cooking should not be considered.

Posted 05/21/2010 02:57 PM   
tho, theres not much to lose if it doenst work and its not under warranty anymore.
tho, theres not much to lose if it doenst work and its not under warranty anymore.

Posted 05/21/2010 03:03 PM   
Blame solder issues on Rohos compliance. but not like companies have a choice, they have to comply. And the solders they now use will crack over time from expansion and contraction due to heating up and cooling down. Thats why its important to buy products from GPU manufacturers that provide excellent warranties and use good solid hardware in the production process.

[url="http://www.rohs.gov.uk/"]http://www.rohs.gov.uk/[/url]

EG
Blame solder issues on Rohos compliance. but not like companies have a choice, they have to comply. And the solders they now use will crack over time from expansion and contraction due to heating up and cooling down. Thats why its important to buy products from GPU manufacturers that provide excellent warranties and use good solid hardware in the production process.

http://www.rohs.gov.uk/

EG

Posted 05/21/2010 03:04 PM   
OK guys tried cleaning the drivers and registry so i am guessing the graphics card is done :(

I will need to buy a new one. However i have a couple of questions that i was hoping people could answer as i am a hardware novice to be honest.

1. How do i tell if my graphics card is stand-alone or integrated with the motherboard?
2. What would you guys say is a comparable graphics card to the Geforce 880 GT in todays market as i can't seem to find it to buy anywhere?
3. Can anyone recommend a basic card that i can buy that will cost no more than £50 (approx $72)? Rarely play games now maybe one game a year to be honest.

Also, now the red vertical lines have gone and i am in normal Windows mode. However, if i go to Device Manager the Geforce card will have the icon next to it with the exlamation mark and windows saying it can't load the driver for it. Why has it fixed itself (temporarily)?
OK guys tried cleaning the drivers and registry so i am guessing the graphics card is done :(

I will need to buy a new one. However i have a couple of questions that i was hoping people could answer as i am a hardware novice to be honest.

1. How do i tell if my graphics card is stand-alone or integrated with the motherboard?

2. What would you guys say is a comparable graphics card to the Geforce 880 GT in todays market as i can't seem to find it to buy anywhere?

3. Can anyone recommend a basic card that i can buy that will cost no more than £50 (approx $72)? Rarely play games now maybe one game a year to be honest.

Also, now the red vertical lines have gone and i am in normal Windows mode. However, if i go to Device Manager the Geforce card will have the icon next to it with the exlamation mark and windows saying it can't load the driver for it. Why has it fixed itself (temporarily)?

Posted 05/22/2010 11:30 PM   

Posted 05/22/2010 11:30 PM   
[quote]How do i tell if my graphics card is stand-alone or integrated with the motherboard?[/quote]All 8800GT are stand-alone. These are PCIe video cards.

[quote]What would you guys say is a comparable graphics card to the Geforce 880 GT in todays market as i can't seem to find it to buy anywhere?[/quote]Performance of the 8800GT is about midway between 9600GT and 9800GT

[quote]Can anyone recommend a basic card that i can buy that will cost no more than £50 (approx $72)? Rarely play games now maybe one game a year to be honest.[/quote]The best I can think of within your £50 budget is the 9600gt - it's a good card but not quite as fast as the 8800gt. Here's a link for where you can buy them from.
[url="http://www.staticice.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=9600gt&spos=1"]http://www.staticice.co.uk/cgi-bin/search....00gt&spos=1[/url]
How do i tell if my graphics card is stand-alone or integrated with the motherboard?
All 8800GT are stand-alone. These are PCIe video cards.

What would you guys say is a comparable graphics card to the Geforce 880 GT in todays market as i can't seem to find it to buy anywhere?
Performance of the 8800GT is about midway between 9600GT and 9800GT

Can anyone recommend a basic card that i can buy that will cost no more than £50 (approx $72)? Rarely play games now maybe one game a year to be honest.
The best I can think of within your £50 budget is the 9600gt - it's a good card but not quite as fast as the 8800gt. Here's a link for where you can buy them from.

http://www.staticice.co.uk/cgi-bin/search....00gt&spos=1

Posted 05/23/2010 12:12 AM   
[quote]How do i tell if my graphics card is stand-alone or integrated with the motherboard?[/quote]All 8800GT are stand-alone. These are PCIe video cards.

[quote]What would you guys say is a comparable graphics card to the Geforce 880 GT in todays market as i can't seem to find it to buy anywhere?[/quote]Performance of the 8800GT is about midway between 9600GT and 9800GT

[quote]Can anyone recommend a basic card that i can buy that will cost no more than £50 (approx $72)? Rarely play games now maybe one game a year to be honest.[/quote]The best I can think of within your £50 budget is the 9600gt - it's a good card but not quite as fast as the 8800gt. Here's a link for where you can buy them from.
[url="http://www.staticice.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=9600gt&spos=1"]http://www.staticice.co.uk/cgi-bin/search....00gt&spos=1[/url]
How do i tell if my graphics card is stand-alone or integrated with the motherboard?
All 8800GT are stand-alone. These are PCIe video cards.

What would you guys say is a comparable graphics card to the Geforce 880 GT in todays market as i can't seem to find it to buy anywhere?
Performance of the 8800GT is about midway between 9600GT and 9800GT

Can anyone recommend a basic card that i can buy that will cost no more than £50 (approx $72)? Rarely play games now maybe one game a year to be honest.
The best I can think of within your £50 budget is the 9600gt - it's a good card but not quite as fast as the 8800gt. Here's a link for where you can buy them from.

http://www.staticice.co.uk/cgi-bin/search....00gt&spos=1

Posted 05/23/2010 12:12 AM   
I assume you mean an 8800gt.If so the closest would be a 9800gt, in fact almost the same card.But in the U.S they are about $90.00 dollar's + or - a couple.

A 240gt would probably be the closest for your price range but their performance is a bit under an 8800gt.
I assume you mean an 8800gt.If so the closest would be a 9800gt, in fact almost the same card.But in the U.S they are about $90.00 dollar's + or - a couple.

A 240gt would probably be the closest for your price range but their performance is a bit under an 8800gt.

Posted 05/23/2010 12:22 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top