GeForce GTX 470 in Mac Pro running Windows XP Trying to install a GTX 470 card in a Mac Pro (quad 2.
Hey, I'm running a 3D visualizer and I need more graphics power, a lot more. I'm trying to put the GTX 470 into my Mac Pro tower because the Apple cards are all kinds of dogs. I don't plan on ever using this particular card with OSX, ONLY with Windows XP etc. running natively in Boot Camp. So Mac compatibility is not an issue, I just need to use it in what is basically a windows machine with a apple sticker on the side.

The drivers say they are not finding the hardware, I haven't connected the power supply cable to the card, I'm thinking that's the culprit. However, I'm not positive where the power supply cable will run to. It seems there might be additional power available on the board inside the case, but I'm not such an experienced genius that I can tell. Should I instead somehow run a dedicated power supply to the card?

Does anyone have any idears?

Dave
Hey, I'm running a 3D visualizer and I need more graphics power, a lot more. I'm trying to put the GTX 470 into my Mac Pro tower because the Apple cards are all kinds of dogs. I don't plan on ever using this particular card with OSX, ONLY with Windows XP etc. running natively in Boot Camp. So Mac compatibility is not an issue, I just need to use it in what is basically a windows machine with a apple sticker on the side.

The drivers say they are not finding the hardware, I haven't connected the power supply cable to the card, I'm thinking that's the culprit. However, I'm not positive where the power supply cable will run to. It seems there might be additional power available on the board inside the case, but I'm not such an experienced genius that I can tell. Should I instead somehow run a dedicated power supply to the card?

Dave

Posted 05/19/2010 01:20 PM   
[quote name='dslodki' post='1058194' date='May 19 2010, 06:20 AM']Hey, I'm running a 3D visualizer and I need more graphics power, a lot more. I'm trying to put the GTX 470 into my Mac Pro tower because the Apple cards are all kinds of dogs. I don't plan on ever using this particular card with OSX, ONLY with Windows XP etc. running natively in Boot Camp. So Mac compatibility is not an issue, I just need to use it in what is basically a windows machine with a apple sticker on the side.

Dave[/quote]

Your MacPro should have two 6pin power ports on the motherboard. Make sure the card is plugged into those ports. Check Ebay for cables if you need them. Also early Mac Pros (First ones) only had a PCI 1.x bus so they probably can't support newer cards... or at least this might be an issue. Later ones all had a 2.x bus.
[quote name='dslodki' post='1058194' date='May 19 2010, 06:20 AM']Hey, I'm running a 3D visualizer and I need more graphics power, a lot more. I'm trying to put the GTX 470 into my Mac Pro tower because the Apple cards are all kinds of dogs. I don't plan on ever using this particular card with OSX, ONLY with Windows XP etc. running natively in Boot Camp. So Mac compatibility is not an issue, I just need to use it in what is basically a windows machine with a apple sticker on the side.

Dave

Your MacPro should have two 6pin power ports on the motherboard. Make sure the card is plugged into those ports. Check Ebay for cables if you need them. Also early Mac Pros (First ones) only had a PCI 1.x bus so they probably can't support newer cards... or at least this might be an issue. Later ones all had a 2.x bus.

Posted 07/02/2010 09:13 AM   

Dave[/quote]

Dave

Posted 07/02/2010 09:13 AM   
Scroll To Top