HDMI audio does not work with Nvidia 197.45 WHQL drivers using Windows 7 32-bit and XFX GT 240 video
I built a new computer and I can't get the Nvidia HDMI audio device to be recognized in Windows 7:

1) Windows 7 32-bit with all updates. This is a fresh install of Windows.
2) XFX 240 GT video card. This card provides audio over HDMI without a separate SPDIF cable. Video card is connected to an Insignia 50" LCD via HDMI.
3) Asrock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard with the newest 3.10 bios. Motherboard uses Realtek ALC888 Audio Codec. Newest Realtek 2.48 audio driver is installed.

I've installed the Nvidia 197.45 WHQL drivers and video looks great over HDMI, but there is no HDMI audio out. The Nvidia HDMI device won`t show under the Sound properties in Windows 7 Control panel. I`ve tried to separately install Nvidia hdaudio driver versions 1.0.9.1, 1.00.00.59 and 1.00.00.63 unsuccessfully. In fact, when I run each Nvidia hdaudio driver .exe, the driver install window won't even appear.

In the Nvidia Control panel, HDMI-HDTV audio is enabled. I've disabled the HDMI-HDTV audio option in the Nvidia Control Panel, rebooted, re-enabled the HDMI-HDTV audio option in the Nvidia Control Panel with no results.

I`ve uninstalled and reinstalled the the video driver and used Driver Sweeper and there is no difference.

I`ve changed the onboard audio option in the motherboard bios from "enabled" to "auto" to "disabled" with no effect. Sound comes out of the motherboard analog out, but I can't get Windows 7 to recognize the Nvidia HDMI device under the Sound properties in the Windows 7 Control panel so I am unable to tell Windows 7 to use the Nvidia HDMI audio.

XFX recommends the newest Nvidia 197.45 WHQL driver for this card. Other posts in this forum have stated HDMI audio is broke for drivers after 191.07. I want to use a new driver because I am using Flash 10.1 RC4 so I can take advantage of hardware accelerated Flash when watching steaming video.

Any ideas?
I built a new computer and I can't get the Nvidia HDMI audio device to be recognized in Windows 7:

1) Windows 7 32-bit with all updates. This is a fresh install of Windows.

2) XFX 240 GT video card. This card provides audio over HDMI without a separate SPDIF cable. Video card is connected to an Insignia 50" LCD via HDMI.

3) Asrock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard with the newest 3.10 bios. Motherboard uses Realtek ALC888 Audio Codec. Newest Realtek 2.48 audio driver is installed.

I've installed the Nvidia 197.45 WHQL drivers and video looks great over HDMI, but there is no HDMI audio out. The Nvidia HDMI device won`t show under the Sound properties in Windows 7 Control panel. I`ve tried to separately install Nvidia hdaudio driver versions 1.0.9.1, 1.00.00.59 and 1.00.00.63 unsuccessfully. In fact, when I run each Nvidia hdaudio driver .exe, the driver install window won't even appear.

In the Nvidia Control panel, HDMI-HDTV audio is enabled. I've disabled the HDMI-HDTV audio option in the Nvidia Control Panel, rebooted, re-enabled the HDMI-HDTV audio option in the Nvidia Control Panel with no results.

I`ve uninstalled and reinstalled the the video driver and used Driver Sweeper and there is no difference.

I`ve changed the onboard audio option in the motherboard bios from "enabled" to "auto" to "disabled" with no effect. Sound comes out of the motherboard analog out, but I can't get Windows 7 to recognize the Nvidia HDMI device under the Sound properties in the Windows 7 Control panel so I am unable to tell Windows 7 to use the Nvidia HDMI audio.

XFX recommends the newest Nvidia 197.45 WHQL driver for this card. Other posts in this forum have stated HDMI audio is broke for drivers after 191.07. I want to use a new driver because I am using Flash 10.1 RC4 so I can take advantage of hardware accelerated Flash when watching steaming video.

Any ideas?

Posted 05/17/2010 03:20 AM   
I am sorry but there are two different versions of the GT 240, one that has HDMI audio built in and one that has SPDIF passthrough. If there are no "NVIDIA High Defination Audio" devices in your Device Manager, it appears as if you have the model with SPDIF passthrough. I would recommend exchanging this card for a different Geforce GT 240 model with HDMI audio built in.
I am sorry but there are two different versions of the GT 240, one that has HDMI audio built in and one that has SPDIF passthrough. If there are no "NVIDIA High Defination Audio" devices in your Device Manager, it appears as if you have the model with SPDIF passthrough. I would recommend exchanging this card for a different Geforce GT 240 model with HDMI audio built in.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 05/17/2010 05:20 AM   
The exact video card I have is the XFX GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR5 HDMI (GT-240X-YHFC). I have been in touch with XFX technical support and so far, they believe it is a Nvidia driver problem. I sent them the above Nvidia response and I am waiting on their response.

My video card does not have a SPDIF in and I have never heard of a GT 240 that still uses a SPDIF pass through cable (I read lots of hardware reviews.) Integrated audio over HDMI is one of the main selling points of the GT 240, GT 220 and GT 210 cards in addition to DirectX 10.1, 40nm, low power usage, etc.

In my further attempts to diagnose this issue, I have installed Nvidia drivers 197.57 Beta, 197.45 WHQL, 197.13 WHQL, 196.21 WHQL, and 195.55 Beta (I believe the first driver that supports the GT 240) with no success. I've used Driver Sweeper each time to prevent driver conflicts.

I believe my problem is a Nvidia driver issue. Maybe a conflict with the Realtek chip. Who wants to take the time or has the time to troubleshoot these problems? I just want it to work out of the box with a fresh driver!

I own a Geforce TNT 2 (paid $299.99 for this bad boy the day it hit the shelves), Geforce 3 Ti200, Geforce Ti4400, Geforce 6800, Geforce 7950GT, Geforce 9400, Geforce 9800 GTX+ and now this Geforce GT240 for my HTPC.

I want to be loyal to Nvidia, but this is pushing me towards an ATI Radeon solution. I would appreciate a serious answer and resolution from Nvidia or from this forum's helpful members!

Any one have any ideas? :unsure:
The exact video card I have is the XFX GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR5 HDMI (GT-240X-YHFC). I have been in touch with XFX technical support and so far, they believe it is a Nvidia driver problem. I sent them the above Nvidia response and I am waiting on their response.

My video card does not have a SPDIF in and I have never heard of a GT 240 that still uses a SPDIF pass through cable (I read lots of hardware reviews.) Integrated audio over HDMI is one of the main selling points of the GT 240, GT 220 and GT 210 cards in addition to DirectX 10.1, 40nm, low power usage, etc.

In my further attempts to diagnose this issue, I have installed Nvidia drivers 197.57 Beta, 197.45 WHQL, 197.13 WHQL, 196.21 WHQL, and 195.55 Beta (I believe the first driver that supports the GT 240) with no success. I've used Driver Sweeper each time to prevent driver conflicts.

I believe my problem is a Nvidia driver issue. Maybe a conflict with the Realtek chip. Who wants to take the time or has the time to troubleshoot these problems? I just want it to work out of the box with a fresh driver!

I own a Geforce TNT 2 (paid $299.99 for this bad boy the day it hit the shelves), Geforce 3 Ti200, Geforce Ti4400, Geforce 6800, Geforce 7950GT, Geforce 9400, Geforce 9800 GTX+ and now this Geforce GT240 for my HTPC.

I want to be loyal to Nvidia, but this is pushing me towards an ATI Radeon solution. I would appreciate a serious answer and resolution from Nvidia or from this forum's helpful members!

Any one have any ideas? :unsure:

Posted 05/18/2010 04:41 PM   
I wish there was something I could do inversiondrive but the fact that the devices aren't even showing up in the Device Manager means that it just isn't there. Perhaps I could confirm it if your board has a reference design number printed on the PCB. Is there a letter "P" followed by three digits anywhere on the PCB? It might help me confirm whether or not your version has native HDMI Audio codec or not.
I wish there was something I could do inversiondrive but the fact that the devices aren't even showing up in the Device Manager means that it just isn't there. Perhaps I could confirm it if your board has a reference design number printed on the PCB. Is there a letter "P" followed by three digits anywhere on the PCB? It might help me confirm whether or not your version has native HDMI Audio codec or not.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 05/19/2010 02:09 AM   
I was not able to locate a code beginning with "P" followed by 3 digits. [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=14-150-452-TS&SpinSet=14-150-452-RS&ISList=14-150-452-Z01,14-150-452-Z02,14-150-452-Z03,14-150-452-Z04,14-150-452-Z05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16814150452&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=XFX%20GT240XYHFC%20GeForce%20GT%20240%20512MB%20128-bit%20GDDR5%20PCI%20Express%202.0%20x16%20HDCP%20Ready%20%20Video%20Card"]Here[/url] is a link to images of the top and bottom of the card. You can zoom in on the images and pan. XFX tech support got back to me and stated this card sends audio over HDMI.
I was not able to locate a code beginning with "P" followed by 3 digits. Here is a link to images of the top and bottom of the card. You can zoom in on the images and pan. XFX tech support got back to me and stated this card sends audio over HDMI.

Posted 05/20/2010 02:12 AM   
Browser error double posted above response. Sorry.
Browser error double posted above response. Sorry.

Posted 05/20/2010 02:12 AM   
Any other ideas before I RMA this card?

Posted 05/26/2010 01:18 PM   

Posted 05/26/2010 01:18 PM   
257.15 drivers did not work either. Nvidia, XFX and AsRock were not able to provide a solution so I returned the card. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
257.15 drivers did not work either. Nvidia, XFX and AsRock were not able to provide a solution so I returned the card. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 05/31/2010 03:12 AM   
i have a gainward 240 gt and i have the same problem, no trace of hdmi audio in device manager or sound playback, tried the latest nvidia driver but nothing, i have the intergrated hdmi audio.
i have a gainward 240 gt and i have the same problem, no trace of hdmi audio in device manager or sound playback, tried the latest nvidia driver but nothing, i have the intergrated hdmi audio.

Posted 03/08/2011 09:49 AM   
i have the same problem no audio with the HDMI connection PC to HDTV(NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI) video card installed.
I'd like to know if (NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI)card supports audio? some body let me know.
i have the same problem no audio with the HDMI connection PC to HDTV(NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI) video card installed.

I'd like to know if (NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI)card supports audio? some body let me know.

Posted 03/10/2011 09:59 PM   
Scroll To Top