8800 GTS, strange stripes / dots all over the screen
  1 / 2    
I'm getting a really odd issue with my 8800 GTS for the last 2 hours.

I can't seem to log into my PC, since everything before windows login pops up has some strange lines all over it;

And the windows login screen is just purpleness with every color of the rainbow and strange flickering...

Funny thing is, I get none of those issues in safe mode. Reading the interwebs makes me wonder whenever or not it is a dying card issue or something else? I tried re-installing drivers and resetting bios so far.

Thanks.

Edit 1:
It all started with a game (World of Warcraft) freezing with weird colors all over the screen, followed by all of the above after I reset the PC.

Edit 2:
And here's the picture
[url="http://h.imagehost.org/view/0131/Image430"]Windows loading screen[/url]
I'm getting a really odd issue with my 8800 GTS for the last 2 hours.

I can't seem to log into my PC, since everything before windows login pops up has some strange lines all over it;

And the windows login screen is just purpleness with every color of the rainbow and strange flickering...

Funny thing is, I get none of those issues in safe mode. Reading the interwebs makes me wonder whenever or not it is a dying card issue or something else? I tried re-installing drivers and resetting bios so far.

Thanks.

Edit 1:

It all started with a game (World of Warcraft) freezing with weird colors all over the screen, followed by all of the above after I reset the PC.

Edit 2:

And here's the picture

Windows loading screen

Posted 05/13/2010 06:15 PM   
Just like me. Two possibilities: driver or the video card itself.
I have too a 8800 gts 320.
If it was overclocked try uninstalling the overclocking program from safe mode.
You can still use the pc but you'll need to uninstall the video drivers that's how i use it now, without drivers. It works like crap but at least i can use my pc 'till my new 5830 arrives.
I didn't manage to fix it by now...
Just like me. Two possibilities: driver or the video card itself.

I have too a 8800 gts 320.

If it was overclocked try uninstalling the overclocking program from safe mode.

You can still use the pc but you'll need to uninstall the video drivers that's how i use it now, without drivers. It works like crap but at least i can use my pc 'till my new 5830 arrives.

I didn't manage to fix it by now...

Posted 05/13/2010 06:57 PM   
Have you checked the gpu temp's with evga precision,msi afterburnergpu-z etc?Also make sure the fan and heat sync are clean and dust free with compressed air.
Have you checked the gpu temp's with evga precision,msi afterburnergpu-z etc?Also make sure the fan and heat sync are clean and dust free with compressed air.

Posted 05/13/2010 10:32 PM   
Well, uninstalling the driver helped me to finally get out of the safe mode;

However it also invalidated all gpu temp tools so I can't really follow the second advise :S

I'll try to find older version of the driver, see if that works. (Edit: Tried 3 drivers; Different stripes with each <_<. Fail?)

But I doubt it's the GPU temp that caused the issue, the fan is perfectly clean.
Well, uninstalling the driver helped me to finally get out of the safe mode;

However it also invalidated all gpu temp tools so I can't really follow the second advise :S

I'll try to find older version of the driver, see if that works. (Edit: Tried 3 drivers; Different stripes with each <_<. Fail?)

But I doubt it's the GPU temp that caused the issue, the fan is perfectly clean.

Posted 05/14/2010 05:55 AM   
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055480' date='May 14 2010, 12:55 AM']Well, uninstalling the driver helped me to finally get out of the safe mode;

But I doubt it's the GPU temp that caused the issue, the fan is perfectly clean.[/quote]
A clean fan doesn't rule out high temps. But whatever the cause, I'd say it's time for a new GPU.
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055480' date='May 14 2010, 12:55 AM']Well, uninstalling the driver helped me to finally get out of the safe mode;

A clean fan doesn't rule out high temps. But whatever the cause, I'd say it's time for a new GPU.

[indent]Image

[/indent]
Core i7 920@3850MHz_Corsair H-50 Water Cooler_EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1_1xEVGA GTX480 @825.1650.2000_3x2Gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20-1T

2x74Gb WD Raptor/RAID0-Windows7 _1x250Gb Seagate 7200.10_Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200w Modular PSU_Coolermaster Cosmos S

Vantage-22876, w/Physx-25636--3DMark06-24844

Posted 05/14/2010 06:46 AM   
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055480' date='May 13 2010, 10:55 PM']Well, uninstalling the driver helped me to finally get out of the safe mode;

But I doubt it's the GPU temp that caused the issue, the fan is perfectly clean.[/quote]
Cannot be solved, it's not the temperature the culprit.I think your cars is caught in an infinite loop. Try updating your video card bios. That's all you can try.
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055480' date='May 13 2010, 10:55 PM']Well, uninstalling the driver helped me to finally get out of the safe mode;

Cannot be solved, it's not the temperature the culprit.I think your cars is caught in an infinite loop. Try updating your video card bios. That's all you can try.

Posted 05/14/2010 12:22 PM   
[quote]Try updating your video card bios.[/quote]

Can I get some basic directions on that one?
Try updating your video card bios.

Can I get some basic directions on that one?

Posted 05/14/2010 12:38 PM   
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055624' date='May 14 2010, 05:38 AM']Can I get some basic directions on that one?[/quote]
Infinite loop is an error message given by your video card suggesting that is a problem with the drivers or the device itself. But you said that you already changed drivers but with the same result, so the only one remaining possibility is that your card is broken.
If you wanna try a bios update just search on Google, you'll have a little work to do.
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055624' date='May 14 2010, 05:38 AM']Can I get some basic directions on that one?

Infinite loop is an error message given by your video card suggesting that is a problem with the drivers or the device itself. But you said that you already changed drivers but with the same result, so the only one remaining possibility is that your card is broken.

If you wanna try a bios update just search on Google, you'll have a little work to do.

Posted 05/14/2010 02:13 PM   
[quote name='Jax63' post='1055660' date='May 14 2010, 09:13 AM']Infinite loop is an error message given by your video card suggesting that is a problem with the drivers or the device itself. But you said that you already changed drivers but with the same result, so the only one remaining possibility is that your card is broken.
If you wanna try a bios update just search on Google, you'll have a little work to do.[/quote]

But if you edit the bios etc you will most likely void your warranty if you have one.
[quote name='Jax63' post='1055660' date='May 14 2010, 09:13 AM']Infinite loop is an error message given by your video card suggesting that is a problem with the drivers or the device itself. But you said that you already changed drivers but with the same result, so the only one remaining possibility is that your card is broken.

But if you edit the bios etc you will most likely void your warranty if you have one.

Posted 05/14/2010 02:16 PM   
[quote]But if you edit the bios etc you will most likely void your warranty if you have one.[/quote]

Nope, 12 to 24 months too late for that I am afraid.

Although... Isn't there a piece of software that allows me to edit the GPU bios without having to go into DOS and type out the stuff I have no idea about? Because, quite frankly, bios is a closed book to me.

Somehow I am positive it CAN be fixed; Not sure if the price is worth the risk, however.

Nope, 12 to 24 months too late for that I am afraid.

Although... Isn't there a piece of software that allows me to edit the GPU bios without having to go into DOS and type out the stuff I have no idea about? Because, quite frankly, bios is a closed book to me.

Somehow I am positive it CAN be fixed; Not sure if the price is worth the risk, however.

Posted 05/14/2010 02:23 PM   
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055666' date='May 14 2010, 07:23 AM']Nope, 12 to 24 months too late for that I am afraid.

Somehow I am positive it CAN be fixed; Not sure if the price is worth the risk, however.[/quote]
Nope...Only dos disk or a dos usb stick. Don't you keep high hopes though...but good luck anyway
Try a new windows install, maybe, maybe...
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1055666' date='May 14 2010, 07:23 AM']Nope, 12 to 24 months too late for that I am afraid.

Nope...Only dos disk or a dos usb stick. Don't you keep high hopes though...but good luck anyway

Try a new windows install, maybe, maybe...

Posted 05/14/2010 02:42 PM   
You're probably thinking of NiBiTor. I've never used it but I know you can use it to flash video BIOS and change some settings, I think. It might be worth a try, but I'm afraid your card is dead or dying, unfortunately.
You're probably thinking of NiBiTor. I've never used it but I know you can use it to flash video BIOS and change some settings, I think. It might be worth a try, but I'm afraid your card is dead or dying, unfortunately.

[indent]Image

[/indent]
Core i7 920@3850MHz_Corsair H-50 Water Cooler_EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1_1xEVGA GTX480 @825.1650.2000_3x2Gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20-1T

2x74Gb WD Raptor/RAID0-Windows7 _1x250Gb Seagate 7200.10_Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200w Modular PSU_Coolermaster Cosmos S

Vantage-22876, w/Physx-25636--3DMark06-24844

Posted 05/14/2010 11:56 PM   
Try backing off on the clock speed of the GPU and memory and see if that helps.

Posted 05/15/2010 12:23 AM   
[quote]Try backing off on the clock speed of the GPU and memory and see if that helps.[/quote]

Erm... Again, stupid question, how?

For all I know I didnt overclock it as I am not sure how do I do it in the first place.

Erm... Again, stupid question, how?

For all I know I didnt overclock it as I am not sure how do I do it in the first place.

Posted 05/15/2010 09:34 AM   
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1056093' date='May 15 2010, 02:34 AM']Erm... Again, stupid question, how?

For all I know I didnt overclock it as I am not sure how do I do it in the first place.[/quote]
it's time to say goodbye to your card. save some money for a new one, or you can buy one in installments if you don't have money or you don't want to burn money now. that's what i did...it's crisis now...:(
[quote name='Marcus Core' post='1056093' date='May 15 2010, 02:34 AM']Erm... Again, stupid question, how?

it's time to say goodbye to your card. save some money for a new one, or you can buy one in installments if you don't have money or you don't want to burn money now. that's what i did...it's crisis now...:(

Posted 05/15/2010 12:25 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top