OpenGL Stereo in GeForce (Non-Quadro) Cards
Hello,
I have few questions about 3D Vision for OpenGL applications.

1. I have a Stereo OpenGL application that runs in Quadro FX 1500M. Now, I want it to be run in GeForce cards using (1) old stereo driver, and (2) new 3D vision. I was able to activate stereo with old driver (GeForce 7900GT + 162.5 Forceware + Stereo Driver) in a fullscreen mode. The first question is whether I will get the same result with new 3D Vision setup without modifying my code (ex. GeForce 9600GT + 3D Vision Kit).

2. The first hurdle I had was to make application mode to fullscreen. I created the app Window myself, not using glut game mode functions. When I make fullscreen to be toggle, it's not simple and I would have to change the interface quite a lot. Is fullscreen mode still a requirement to activate 3D Vision with new 3D Vision setup?

3. With the old stereo driver, I was able to activate stereo in fullscreen mode, but I still want to draw the right eye image myself. Can I render the right eye image myself? Is this possible? Or the driver/GPU exclusively takes care of two framebuffers. I was looking for document or SDK/API that I can access to the framebuffer object for right eye image, or even any interface that I can arrange/coordinate the stereo images to the display device.

No luck to find a good document for my situation; any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Hello,

I have few questions about 3D Vision for OpenGL applications.

1. I have a Stereo OpenGL application that runs in Quadro FX 1500M. Now, I want it to be run in GeForce cards using (1) old stereo driver, and (2) new 3D vision. I was able to activate stereo with old driver (GeForce 7900GT + 162.5 Forceware + Stereo Driver) in a fullscreen mode. The first question is whether I will get the same result with new 3D Vision setup without modifying my code (ex. GeForce 9600GT + 3D Vision Kit).

2. The first hurdle I had was to make application mode to fullscreen. I created the app Window myself, not using glut game mode functions. When I make fullscreen to be toggle, it's not simple and I would have to change the interface quite a lot. Is fullscreen mode still a requirement to activate 3D Vision with new 3D Vision setup?

3. With the old stereo driver, I was able to activate stereo in fullscreen mode, but I still want to draw the right eye image myself. Can I render the right eye image myself? Is this possible? Or the driver/GPU exclusively takes care of two framebuffers. I was looking for document or SDK/API that I can access to the framebuffer object for right eye image, or even any interface that I can arrange/coordinate the stereo images to the display device.

No luck to find a good document for my situation; any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Posted 04/30/2010 08:35 PM   
The new Nvidia consumer driver does not support OpenGL at all. Sorry.
The new Nvidia consumer driver does not support OpenGL at all. Sorry.
Posted 05/01/2010 01:14 AM   
[quote name='cybereality' post='1048331' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:14 PM']The new Nvidia consumer driver does not support OpenGL at all. Sorry.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand what you mean.
Do you mean that Nvidia will still make old type Stereo Drivers for new GeForce cards, so that they can be used for OpenGL Stereo apps?
Or do you mean that OpenGL Stereo will never be available for GeForce cards, and only be possible with expensive Quadro cards?
Is there any document I can refer to?
[quote name='cybereality' post='1048331' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:14 PM']The new Nvidia consumer driver does not support OpenGL at all. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand what you mean.

Do you mean that Nvidia will still make old type Stereo Drivers for new GeForce cards, so that they can be used for OpenGL Stereo apps?

Or do you mean that OpenGL Stereo will never be available for GeForce cards, and only be possible with expensive Quadro cards?

Posted 05/01/2010 01:39 AM   
[quote name='yskimo57' post='1048337' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:39 PM']OpenGL Stereo will never be available for GeForce cards, and only be possible with expensive Quadro cards?
Is there any document I can refer to?[/quote]
Never saw any documentation other than opengl not being included in the compatibility list. They likely make the majority of their money on quadro cards so don't expect this stance to change. Andrew Fear posted here before that it will not be supported. You would think that they would have a better way to obtain the best of both worlds.
[quote name='yskimo57' post='1048337' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:39 PM']OpenGL Stereo will never be available for GeForce cards, and only be possible with expensive Quadro cards?

Never saw any documentation other than opengl not being included in the compatibility list. They likely make the majority of their money on quadro cards so don't expect this stance to change. Andrew Fear posted here before that it will not be supported. You would think that they would have a better way to obtain the best of both worlds.

Posted 05/01/2010 03:32 AM   
The last Geforce card that will support regular OpenGL applications is the 7 series (ie Geforce 7950) using Windows XP and the old Nvidia stereo driver. This will allow support of standard OpenGL games like DOOM 3. The modern Nvidia driver only works on Windows Vista/7 and only works on Geforce cards 8800 and above. This driver does not support OpenGL at all. On the professional line Quadro cards OpenGL is supported but I believe only QuadBuffer OpenGL. For example, I don't think you could play DOOM 3 with that driver. But if you are developing your own applications this is probably what you are looking for. Again, Geforce cards are not supported (unless you want to go the legacy route).
The last Geforce card that will support regular OpenGL applications is the 7 series (ie Geforce 7950) using Windows XP and the old Nvidia stereo driver. This will allow support of standard OpenGL games like DOOM 3. The modern Nvidia driver only works on Windows Vista/7 and only works on Geforce cards 8800 and above. This driver does not support OpenGL at all. On the professional line Quadro cards OpenGL is supported but I believe only QuadBuffer OpenGL. For example, I don't think you could play DOOM 3 with that driver. But if you are developing your own applications this is probably what you are looking for. Again, Geforce cards are not supported (unless you want to go the legacy route).
Posted 05/01/2010 05:08 PM   
[quote name='cybereality' post='1048602' date='May 1 2010, 01:08 PM']The last Geforce card that will support regular OpenGL applications is the 7 series (ie Geforce 7950) using Windows XP and the old Nvidia stereo driver. This will allow support of standard OpenGL games like DOOM 3. The modern Nvidia driver only works on Windows Vista/7 and only works on Geforce cards 8800 and above. This driver does not support OpenGL at all.[/quote]
Cybereality, I'm not sure why you say that. The nVidia site says OpenGL 3 is supported on any Fermi and Quadro FX 370, 570, 1700, 3700, 4600, 4700x2, 4800, 5600, 5800, Quadro VX200, Quadro CX, and GeForce 8000 series or higher; Geforce G100, GT120, 130, 220, GTS 150, GTS 250, GT310, 320, 330, 340, GeForce GTX 260 and higher, any ION based products. Also OpenGL 4 was just released and is supported by any Fermi processor. [url="http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html"]http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html[/url]

Do you have a reason why you say nVidia doesn't have or is dropping OpenGL support? This is very important to my software development plans.
[quote name='cybereality' post='1048602' date='May 1 2010, 01:08 PM']The last Geforce card that will support regular OpenGL applications is the 7 series (ie Geforce 7950) using Windows XP and the old Nvidia stereo driver. This will allow support of standard OpenGL games like DOOM 3. The modern Nvidia driver only works on Windows Vista/7 and only works on Geforce cards 8800 and above. This driver does not support OpenGL at all.

Cybereality, I'm not sure why you say that. The nVidia site says OpenGL 3 is supported on any Fermi and Quadro FX 370, 570, 1700, 3700, 4600, 4700x2, 4800, 5600, 5800, Quadro VX200, Quadro CX, and GeForce 8000 series or higher; Geforce G100, GT120, 130, 220, GTS 150, GTS 250, GT310, 320, 330, 340, GeForce GTX 260 and higher, any ION based products. Also OpenGL 4 was just released and is supported by any Fermi processor. http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html

Do you have a reason why you say nVidia doesn't have or is dropping OpenGL support? This is very important to my software development plans.

Posted 07/08/2010 02:55 AM   
He's only referring to the fact that you cannot use 3D Vision to view OpenGL graphics in 3D... he's not saying OpenGL support was stripped away entirely.
He's only referring to the fact that you cannot use 3D Vision to view OpenGL graphics in 3D... he's not saying OpenGL support was stripped away entirely.

Posted 07/08/2010 03:37 AM   
Scroll To Top