Changing video cards under Windows 7 Replace GTX 260 with GTX 285 Windows 7
I have a Windows 7 64-bit PC with an NVidia GTX 260 card and version 197 drivers installed. I need to replace the GTX 260 with a GTX 285 I purchased recently to run Adobe CS5 (sort of a sideways upgrade but Adobe basically forces this if you want GPU acceleration).

What is the best way to swap out a GTX 260 with a GTX 285 under 64-bit Windows 7? Should I first UNINSTALL the drivers on my PC, then shutdown, then replace the video card, then restart the PC?

How do I completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers, I think there is more than one entry in my uninstall control panel that says NVidia, whats the best way to uninstall my video drivers under Windows 7? Which entries to I uninstall and which entries do I skip if any?

-Roger Uzun
uzun@san.rr.com
I have a Windows 7 64-bit PC with an NVidia GTX 260 card and version 197 drivers installed. I need to replace the GTX 260 with a GTX 285 I purchased recently to run Adobe CS5 (sort of a sideways upgrade but Adobe basically forces this if you want GPU acceleration).

What is the best way to swap out a GTX 260 with a GTX 285 under 64-bit Windows 7? Should I first UNINSTALL the drivers on my PC, then shutdown, then replace the video card, then restart the PC?

How do I completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers, I think there is more than one entry in my uninstall control panel that says NVidia, whats the best way to uninstall my video drivers under Windows 7? Which entries to I uninstall and which entries do I skip if any?

-Roger Uzun

uzun@san.rr.com

Posted 04/30/2010 07:00 PM   
[quote]I need to replace the GTX 260 with a GTX 285 I purchased recently to run Adobe CS5 (sort of a sideways upgrade but Adobe basically forces this if you want GPU acceleration).[/quote]
I don't understand, what does the 285 have that the 260 didn't? I used CS4 with a 260 and got GPU acceleration.

[quote]How do I completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers, I think there is more than one entry in my uninstall control panel that says NVidia, whats the best way to uninstall my video drivers under Windows 7? Which entries to I uninstall and which entries do I skip if any?[/quote]
You probably have four entries in the control panel applet... Stereo driver, PhysX, Video Driver and Control Panel. I uninstall these as follows: Stereo, PhysX & Video Driver (which should also remove the control panel). BUT, before you start, read though my procedure:
[list=1]
[*]Download the latest driver from nVidia for your new card and OS (ForceWare 197.45),
[*]Download and install Driver Sweeper from [url="http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/"]>> here <<[/url],
[*]Uninstall the nVidia Stereo driver,
[*]Uninstall PhysX,
[*]Uninstall the video driver,
[*]The last uninstall requires a reboot, ensure you start the machine in "Safe Mode" (mash the F8 key),
[*]Start Driver Sweeper and check "NVIDIA - Display" & "NVIDIA - PhysX",
[*]Press "Clean" (at the end of the cleaning, Driver Swweper requires a reboot),
[*]Restart normally,
[*]Install the required nVidia driver downloaded in step 1,
[*]Reboot.
[/list]

Hope this helps
I need to replace the GTX 260 with a GTX 285 I purchased recently to run Adobe CS5 (sort of a sideways upgrade but Adobe basically forces this if you want GPU acceleration).

I don't understand, what does the 285 have that the 260 didn't? I used CS4 with a 260 and got GPU acceleration.

You probably have four entries in the control panel applet... Stereo driver, PhysX, Video Driver and Control Panel. I uninstall these as follows: Stereo, PhysX & Video Driver (which should also remove the control panel). BUT, before you start, read though my procedure:

[list=1]

• Download the latest driver from nVidia for your new card and OS (ForceWare 197.45),
  • Download and install Driver Sweeper from >> here <<,
  • Uninstall the nVidia Stereo driver,
  • Uninstall PhysX,
  • Uninstall the video driver,
  • The last uninstall requires a reboot, ensure you start the machine in "Safe Mode" (mash the F8 key),
  • Start Driver Sweeper and check "NVIDIA - Display" & "NVIDIA - PhysX",
  • Press "Clean" (at the end of the cleaning, Driver Swweper requires a reboot),
  • Restart normally,
  • Install the required nVidia driver downloaded in step 1,
  • Reboot.
  • [/list]

Hope this helps

Posted 04/30/2010 08:26 PM   
    Thanks so much for the reply, that helps a lot.

So after I use Driver Sweeper in Safe mode to remove all traces of the old driver, I should shut down the PC and physically remove the 260, then replace it with the 285, correct?

I should do all the uninstalls with the 260 in place, then after using driver sweeper physically swap cards, then restart and do the installation of the new Nvidia Driver. I just want to be sure I do the card swap at the right time.

Premiere Pro CS5 offers much more effective GPU utilization than CS4 did, but it supports only a few select Nvidia cards. Although there is no logical reason the 295, 280, 260 etc are excluded, they are. You have to have a GTX 285 card to get GPU acceleration with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, or one of a few Quadro Cards. I don't know why they did this, at this time even the GTX 400 series are excluded, although I'm sure they will support at least one of them at a later date.
    Thanks so much for the reply, that helps a lot.

So after I use Driver Sweeper in Safe mode to remove all traces of the old driver, I should shut down the PC and physically remove the 260, then replace it with the 285, correct?

I should do all the uninstalls with the 260 in place, then after using driver sweeper physically swap cards, then restart and do the installation of the new Nvidia Driver. I just want to be sure I do the card swap at the right time.

Premiere Pro CS5 offers much more effective GPU utilization than CS4 did, but it supports only a few select Nvidia cards. Although there is no logical reason the 295, 280, 260 etc are excluded, they are. You have to have a GTX 285 card to get GPU acceleration with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, or one of a few Quadro Cards. I don't know why they did this, at this time even the GTX 400 series are excluded, although I'm sure they will support at least one of them at a later date.

Posted 04/30/2010 08:36 PM   
    Uninstall the old driver. You can either reboot into Safe Mode and sweep the driver before swapping cards. Or you can shut down the PC, swap cards, then boot to Safe Mode and sweep drivers. Safe mode disables all video card related drivers except stock generic ones to render a simple, crappy display. Doesn't matter if you swap cards before or after you got to Safe Mode.
    Uninstall the old driver. You can either reboot into Safe Mode and sweep the driver before swapping cards. Or you can shut down the PC, swap cards, then boot to Safe Mode and sweep drivers. Safe mode disables all video card related drivers except stock generic ones to render a simple, crappy display. Doesn't matter if you swap cards before or after you got to Safe Mode.

Posted 04/30/2010 09:47 PM   
    Scroll To Top