GTX470 Idling Temp High With Dual Monitors
So when I am using dual monitors with automatic fan control the GTX470 GPU temperature is around 81°C. When I only have 1 monitor configured the idle temp is 51°C or lower with automatic fan control.

The core clock is not decreasing when using 2 monitors after a period of GPU inactivity like it does with 1 monitor. The core clock is staying at 1674 MHz which is causing the higher thermal load. When using 1 monitor the core clock will decrease to below 300 MHz when the GPU is idling. With 2 monitors the GPU never reduces its core clock for some reason which I believe must be a driver bug.

I am using Windows 7 64 Bit Professional edition.

Please let me know if anyone is experiencing this and if it is a known bug or not. I just got the card and will return it if this is not resolved. It is ridiculous to be sitting at 81°C while doing nothing.

I have adjusted the fan to manual control at 65% which is managing to keep the GPU temp at 60°C but this is not a long term solution.
So when I am using dual monitors with automatic fan control the GTX470 GPU temperature is around 81°C. When I only have 1 monitor configured the idle temp is 51°C or lower with automatic fan control.

The core clock is not decreasing when using 2 monitors after a period of GPU inactivity like it does with 1 monitor. The core clock is staying at 1674 MHz which is causing the higher thermal load. When using 1 monitor the core clock will decrease to below 300 MHz when the GPU is idling. With 2 monitors the GPU never reduces its core clock for some reason which I believe must be a driver bug.

I am using Windows 7 64 Bit Professional edition.

Please let me know if anyone is experiencing this and if it is a known bug or not. I just got the card and will return it if this is not resolved. It is ridiculous to be sitting at 81°C while doing nothing.

I have adjusted the fan to manual control at 65% which is managing to keep the GPU temp at 60°C but this is not a long term solution.

Posted 04/26/2010 07:04 AM   
My understanding is that all Nvidia cards stay in 3d mode when you have two outputs hooked up.

Set the fan up like you did, that is the solution. That, or liquid cooling. The GTX4xx series was designed around running at 90 degrees. Seams high to me, but Nvidia claims it can take it
My understanding is that all Nvidia cards stay in 3d mode when you have two outputs hooked up.

Set the fan up like you did, that is the solution. That, or liquid cooling. The GTX4xx series was designed around running at 90 degrees. Seams high to me, but Nvidia claims it can take it

Using Left over CPU coolers to keep phones cool since 2012.

Posted 04/26/2010 01:25 PM   
[quote name='Lordred' post='1045355' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:25 PM']My understanding is that all Nvidia cards stay in 3d mode when you have two outputs hooked up.

Set the fan up like you did, that is the solution. That, or liquid cooling. The GTX4xx series was designed around running at 90 degrees. Seams high to me, but Nvidia claims it can take it[/quote]

I believe the card is still supposed to down clock in dual monitor mode, but just not as much as in single monitor mode. It is completely rediculous to have the card working at full power with dual monitors to just display 2D stuff.
[quote name='Lordred' post='1045355' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:25 PM']My understanding is that all Nvidia cards stay in 3d mode when you have two outputs hooked up.

I believe the card is still supposed to down clock in dual monitor mode, but just not as much as in single monitor mode. It is completely rediculous to have the card working at full power with dual monitors to just display 2D stuff.

Posted 04/27/2010 09:31 PM   
[quote name='S1ngular1ty' post='1045263' date='Apr 26 2010, 03:04 PM']The core clock is staying at 1674 MHz which is causing the higher thermal load.[/quote]
Are you using the latest version of monitoring software?
1674MHz isn't the core clock speed - it sounds like the memory clock speed.
If two monitors are connected then memory doesn't downclock ever.
[quote name='S1ngular1ty' post='1045263' date='Apr 26 2010, 03:04 PM']The core clock is staying at 1674 MHz which is causing the higher thermal load.

Are you using the latest version of monitoring software?

1674MHz isn't the core clock speed - it sounds like the memory clock speed.

If two monitors are connected then memory doesn't downclock ever.

Posted 04/29/2010 04:23 PM   
The card is supposed to downclock something for power management even with dual monitors. It isn't supposed to run full speed all the time.

And even if it does run full speed all the time, the fan curves Nvidia has in the card are stupid. They make the card idle at 81°C. Why not increase the fan speed a little? The fan is usually at ~45% and the fan remains quite up to 65%. Why not make the fan run faster to lower the idle temps? Why not allow users to customize the fan profile in the driver without installing a 3rd party tool?

Nvidia either needs to fix the not downclocking issue or fix the fan curves because something is screwed up with this card if it idles at such high temperatures (81°C) while simply idling.
The card is supposed to downclock something for power management even with dual monitors. It isn't supposed to run full speed all the time.

And even if it does run full speed all the time, the fan curves Nvidia has in the card are stupid. They make the card idle at 81°C. Why not increase the fan speed a little? The fan is usually at ~45% and the fan remains quite up to 65%. Why not make the fan run faster to lower the idle temps? Why not allow users to customize the fan profile in the driver without installing a 3rd party tool?

Nvidia either needs to fix the not downclocking issue or fix the fan curves because something is screwed up with this card if it idles at such high temperatures (81°C) while simply idling.

Posted 05/01/2010 08:18 PM   
I am experiencing the same problem. The 470 does not clock down when dual monitors are enabled, and idle temps are in the 70C range. The card clocks down on single monitor and idles near 40C. Latest drivers. Any fix yet? Does nvidia know about the issue?
I am experiencing the same problem. The 470 does not clock down when dual monitors are enabled, and idle temps are in the 70C range. The card clocks down on single monitor and idles near 40C. Latest drivers. Any fix yet? Does nvidia know about the issue?

Posted 05/07/2010 06:47 PM   
The heightened memory domain frequency is to avoid a hardware limitation that affects all multi-monitor configurations connected to a single graphics card that operates through multiple power states. The GPU will maintain higher memory clocks to prevent screen flickering when shifting between power states, which does have an effect idle temperatures. NVIDIA is well aware of this and it is something they would like to better address.
The heightened memory domain frequency is to avoid a hardware limitation that affects all multi-monitor configurations connected to a single graphics card that operates through multiple power states. The GPU will maintain higher memory clocks to prevent screen flickering when shifting between power states, which does have an effect idle temperatures. NVIDIA is well aware of this and it is something they would like to better address.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 05/07/2010 07:06 PM   
Thanks for the info.

The card I just switched from, an ATI 5770, showed no increase (edit: actually about 4C increase with dual monitors now that I think about it) in idle temps with the exact same dual monitor configuration. I can appreciate that there are some technical aspects to this issue, but as a consumer of this product and energy, a near 30C idle temperature increase is simply too much.

Can this issue be fixed, and if so, when?
Thanks for the info.

The card I just switched from, an ATI 5770, showed no increase (edit: actually about 4C increase with dual monitors now that I think about it) in idle temps with the exact same dual monitor configuration. I can appreciate that there are some technical aspects to this issue, but as a consumer of this product and energy, a near 30C idle temperature increase is simply too much.

Can this issue be fixed, and if so, when?

Posted 05/07/2010 07:34 PM   
I looked at this some more today. I can manually set the fan speed to 50% (still silent in my system) and the card idles at 65C with dual monitors running. My best guess is that it will cost an extra $40-50/year to run the 470 vs. 5850.

Although 65C is better then 73C and the card is silent, I am not convinced that this is the right card for a dual monitor set-up. It is $50 more then a 5850 and $50 more per year to run.

I used the wattage finding from Hardware Canucks [url="http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-29.html"]http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-29.html[/url]

I used an online KWh cost calculator to see the daily and yearly cost.

I am undecided as of right now. I may get a 5850, and I may swallow the cost and heat of the 470. Hopefully, Nvidia can tweak something to get a better dual monitor power scheme. As it stands, on the 470/480...running dual monitors is just silly.
I looked at this some more today. I can manually set the fan speed to 50% (still silent in my system) and the card idles at 65C with dual monitors running. My best guess is that it will cost an extra $40-50/year to run the 470 vs. 5850.

Although 65C is better then 73C and the card is silent, I am not convinced that this is the right card for a dual monitor set-up. It is $50 more then a 5850 and $50 more per year to run.

I used the wattage finding from Hardware Canucks http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-29.html

I used an online KWh cost calculator to see the daily and yearly cost.

I am undecided as of right now. I may get a 5850, and I may swallow the cost and heat of the 470. Hopefully, Nvidia can tweak something to get a better dual monitor power scheme. As it stands, on the 470/480...running dual monitors is just silly.

Posted 05/08/2010 07:02 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='1051962' date='May 7 2010, 08:06 PM']The heightened memory domain frequency is to avoid a hardware limitation that affects all multi-monitor configurations connected to a single graphics card that operates through multiple power states. The GPU will maintain higher memory clocks to prevent screen flickering when shifting between power states, which does have an effect idle temperatures. NVIDIA is well aware of this and it is something they would like to better address.[/quote]

Hi Exitios,

I would like to say a big thank you for clarifying the cause of this issue /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> .

I posted the same reason for the problem in the following two threads:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=167079"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=167079[/url]

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=166957"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=166957[/url]

At the time, I was 99% sure I was right about what was causing the higher temperatures. Thank you for clearing up the doubt I had.

I hope for anyone experiencing the high idle temperatures that a fix arrives soon /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> .

Good luck everyone :) .

Jimboc
[quote name='Exitios' post='1051962' date='May 7 2010, 08:06 PM']The heightened memory domain frequency is to avoid a hardware limitation that affects all multi-monitor configurations connected to a single graphics card that operates through multiple power states. The GPU will maintain higher memory clocks to prevent screen flickering when shifting between power states, which does have an effect idle temperatures. NVIDIA is well aware of this and it is something they would like to better address.

Hi Exitios,

I would like to say a big thank you for clarifying the cause of this issue /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> .

I posted the same reason for the problem in the following two threads:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=167079

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=166957

At the time, I was 99% sure I was right about what was causing the higher temperatures. Thank you for clearing up the doubt I had.

I hope for anyone experiencing the high idle temperatures that a fix arrives soon /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> .

Good luck everyone :) .

Jimboc

Useful GPU Temperature Monitoring Guide , The Unofficial NVIDIA SLI Technology User Reference Guide , Nvidia Multi GPU SLI/PhysX Setup Guide , NVLDDMKM Problems (Very Helpful Thread), How To Choose The Correct Power Supply

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Disease etc. by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford Universities' Research projects
Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with these guides (Team Number: 142900)

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 | Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 | 1x 6GB EVGA Geforce GTX Titan (836 Mhz Base, 876 Mhz Boost) | Corsair HX1000 PSU | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Dell U2711 LCD | Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

You have to be "totally up for it" and motivated otherwise you just wouldn't win. - Jessica Ennis-Hill

Posted 05/09/2010 04:55 PM   
Scroll To Top