Macbook pro bootcamp cant get drivers to install
Hey
I have a new MBP 15" Intel Core i7, 4GB Memory,etc, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB. I just installed a fresh copy of windows 7 32bit through boot camp.. and now when i try to install drivers for the graphics card it says that "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware"

I have tried both the 197.13 and 197.16 drivers, and both of them say the same thing. Right now the current driver is just set as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Any suggestions on where i should look to get the correct driver would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hey

I have a new MBP 15" Intel Core i7, 4GB Memory,etc, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB. I just installed a fresh copy of windows 7 32bit through boot camp.. and now when i try to install drivers for the graphics card it says that "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware"

I have tried both the 197.13 and 197.16 drivers, and both of them say the same thing. Right now the current driver is just set as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Any suggestions on where i should look to get the correct driver would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted 04/25/2010 05:10 AM   
[quote name='jbaird13' post='1044765' date='Apr 25 2010, 01:10 AM']Any suggestions on where i should look to get the correct driver would be appreciated.[/quote]

The "correct" driver is on the install disk that came with your Mac along with the rest of the Boot Camp drivers. You can also [url="http://support.apple.com/kb/DL996"]download the Boot Camp drivers[/url] from Apple's website.

I place "correct" in parentheses because the driver Apple provides is [i]months[/i] old and very unstable. I have been unable to play Left 4 Dead 2 for more than 2 minutes, or use Skype video chat or watch Flash video for more than 5-10 minutes before either the program crashes or my MacBook Pro freezes completely.

The newest Nvidia drivers can be forcibly installed but the instructions cannot be posted here. I'm going to try to install the latest drivers and report back with my results.

(edit) Left 4 Dead 2 crashes are Valve's, not Nvidia's or Apple's, fault. They can be stopped by setting shaders to medium or less for now. I haven't encountered any issues with Flash video or Skype video chat yet since installing the latest drivers reconfigured to recognize the GeForce 330M in the MacBook Pro. I think I'll keep this driver installed until official updated driver is made available by Nvidia or Apple, as this seems more stable.

(edit 2) Interesting... extracting the Boot Camp installation package and the contained cabinet file for the Nvidia driver reveals the same compatibility error message as with the latest retail Nvidia driver when attempting to run setup.exe manually... Apple didn't even bother modifying nvao.inf to include proper installation procedure for the 330M's hardware ID, although they did make sure it passed Windows 7 driver validation.
[quote name='jbaird13' post='1044765' date='Apr 25 2010, 01:10 AM']Any suggestions on where i should look to get the correct driver would be appreciated.

The "correct" driver is on the install disk that came with your Mac along with the rest of the Boot Camp drivers. You can also download the Boot Camp drivers from Apple's website.

I place "correct" in parentheses because the driver Apple provides is months old and very unstable. I have been unable to play Left 4 Dead 2 for more than 2 minutes, or use Skype video chat or watch Flash video for more than 5-10 minutes before either the program crashes or my MacBook Pro freezes completely.

The newest Nvidia drivers can be forcibly installed but the instructions cannot be posted here. I'm going to try to install the latest drivers and report back with my results.

(edit) Left 4 Dead 2 crashes are Valve's, not Nvidia's or Apple's, fault. They can be stopped by setting shaders to medium or less for now. I haven't encountered any issues with Flash video or Skype video chat yet since installing the latest drivers reconfigured to recognize the GeForce 330M in the MacBook Pro. I think I'll keep this driver installed until official updated driver is made available by Nvidia or Apple, as this seems more stable.

(edit 2) Interesting... extracting the Boot Camp installation package and the contained cabinet file for the Nvidia driver reveals the same compatibility error message as with the latest retail Nvidia driver when attempting to run setup.exe manually... Apple didn't even bother modifying nvao.inf to include proper installation procedure for the 330M's hardware ID, although they did make sure it passed Windows 7 driver validation.

Posted 04/25/2010 06:56 AM   
Scroll To Top