GTX480 - Died in a few days :-(
  1 / 6    
I recently received my Zotac GTX480 and installed it..

All has been working fine for a few days, frame rates where as expected, no stability problems etc

However, today.. when trying to turn my PC on, the fans and lights kicked in for about a second and it powered down straight away.. So I unplugged it from the wall, left it for a few mins and tried again.. same problem

I disconnected the power cables to the GTX480 and the computer turns on ok.
So I installed my previous 3 x 280GTX cards and it all works as it did previously..

Needless to say, I tried this a few times, numerous ways... the GTX 480 seems to be causing some
form of short circuit or something causing my PC to not turn on :-(

My hardware is a QX9650, 790 ultra sli Motherboard, Corsair HX1000 (which powers 3-way SLI fine)

Obviously... Im going to have to RMA the card, but 3 days... lol... thats as long as it lasted !
With stock availability the way it is, Im expecting a long wait until I can get it replaced :-(
Or would you think going direct to Zotac instead of Dabs would be a better way to deal with it [b](Ive never had to RMA a card)[/b]

I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-(

All has been working fine for a few days, frame rates where as expected, no stability problems etc

However, today.. when trying to turn my PC on, the fans and lights kicked in for about a second and it powered down straight away.. So I unplugged it from the wall, left it for a few mins and tried again.. same problem

So I installed my previous 3 x 280GTX cards and it all works as it did previously..

Needless to say, I tried this a few times, numerous ways... the GTX 480 seems to be causing some

My hardware is a QX9650, 790 ultra sli Motherboard, Corsair HX1000 (which powers 3-way SLI fine)

Obviously... Im going to have to RMA the card, but 3 days... lol... thats as long as it lasted !

With stock availability the way it is, Im expecting a long wait until I can get it replaced :-(

Or would you think going direct to Zotac instead of Dabs would be a better way to deal with it (Ive never had to RMA a card)

I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-(

System : I7 980X | Corsair H50 | P6X58D | GTX 480 SLI (air) | 12GB Corsair Dominator |
3D Vision / Acer H5360 | Dell 3008FPW 30" | Coolermaster HAF X Case | Windows 7 64bit |

Posted 04/18/2010 01:43 PM   

Or would you think going direct to Zotac instead of Dabs would be a better way to deal with it [b](Ive never had to RMA a card)[/b]

Or would you think going direct to Zotac instead of Dabs would be a better way to deal with it (Ive never had to RMA a card)

System : I7 980X | Corsair H50 | P6X58D | GTX 480 SLI (air) | 12GB Corsair Dominator |
3D Vision / Acer H5360 | Dell 3008FPW 30" | Coolermaster HAF X Case | Windows 7 64bit |

Posted 04/18/2010 01:43 PM   
ask the place you purchased the card from first.

[quote name='SWSUK' post='1041540' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:43 PM']I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-([/quote]
i would urge you to not make impressions based on a single bad experience.

[quote name='SWSUK' post='1041540' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:43 PM']I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-(

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 04/18/2010 02:17 PM   

[quote name='SWSUK' post='1041540' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:43 PM']I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-([/quote]

[quote name='SWSUK' post='1041540' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:43 PM']I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-(

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 04/18/2010 02:17 PM   
[quote name='Qazax' post='1041545' date='Apr 18 2010, 03:17 PM']ask the place you purchased the card from first.

i would urge you to not make impressions based on a single bad experience.[/quote]

Should have read...
I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually scrap the idea for a while :-(

I would love to know what went wrong.. but I guess Ill never know the answer to that one.
[quote name='Qazax' post='1041545' date='Apr 18 2010, 03:17 PM']ask the place you purchased the card from first.

Should have read...

I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually scrap the idea for a while :-(

I would love to know what went wrong.. but I guess Ill never know the answer to that one.

Posted 04/18/2010 03:04 PM   

i would urge you to not make impressions based on a single bad experience.[/quote]

Should have read...

Should have read...

Posted 04/18/2010 03:04 PM   
sounds like part of the voltage control module or PCI-e power connector is at fault, to me but its a deffinate RMA unfortuanately. it doesnt sound like it is anything you could have prevented and you have already tested the PSU and the rest of the machine with your other graphics cards so there isnt much you can do i am afraid.
sounds like part of the voltage control module or PCI-e power connector is at fault, to me but its a deffinate RMA unfortuanately. it doesnt sound like it is anything you could have prevented and you have already tested the PSU and the rest of the machine with your other graphics cards so there isnt much you can do i am afraid.

Posted 04/18/2010 03:09 PM   

Posted 04/18/2010 03:09 PM   
[quote name='SWSUK' post='1041540' date='Apr 18 2010, 06:43 AM']I recently received my Zotac GTX480 and installed it..

I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-([/quote]

I have critcised NVIDIA for short life expectancy of video cards but this is rediculous.

I am so paranoid when I ordered a new motherbaord, I ordered an ATI chipset. I just bought an Asus M4A77D, basic board for my Windows box. The old board has a problem with the SATA connectors, and the new one has more SATA.

Now I am pondering video cards. I do not like RMA, it costs extra. I hate hidden costs. Vendor should pay for shoddy equipment returns.
[quote name='SWSUK' post='1041540' date='Apr 18 2010, 06:43 AM']I recently received my Zotac GTX480 and installed it..

I have critcised NVIDIA for short life expectancy of video cards but this is rediculous.

I am so paranoid when I ordered a new motherbaord, I ordered an ATI chipset. I just bought an Asus M4A77D, basic board for my Windows box. The old board has a problem with the SATA connectors, and the new one has more SATA.

Now I am pondering video cards. I do not like RMA, it costs extra. I hate hidden costs. Vendor should pay for shoddy equipment returns.

Posted 04/18/2010 05:15 PM   

I was hoping to go SLi with a pair of these, but may actually decide to scrap the idea altogether for a while now :-([/quote]

Posted 04/18/2010 05:15 PM   
[quote name='Vegan' post='1041587' date='Apr 18 2010, 06:15 PM']I have critcised NVIDIA for short life expectancy of video cards but this is rediculous.

Now I am pondering video cards. I do not like RMA, it costs extra. I hate hidden costs. Vendor should pay for shoddy equipment returns.[/quote]

Luckily with Dabs, as long as its broken, they will arrange collection and replacement.

The problem is... the earliest collection is on Wednesday.. Plus they have no stock, so what are they going to replace it with ? ?

I don't know how they handle their allocations, so Ill either have to wait until all the pre-orders have been allocated, or perhaps it will be bumped above the pre-orders when they eventually get more stock.. or perhaps due to lack of stock, they will just refund me.. which means my original pre-order was a waste of time...

It could be worse... I could have sold my 280's which I was going to this week so I could fund another 480. Id have no computer at all then lol.
Id have to go and get the cheapest nastiest video card lol... at extra cost and hassle whilst I wait to see whats going to happen.
[quote name='Vegan' post='1041587' date='Apr 18 2010, 06:15 PM']I have critcised NVIDIA for short life expectancy of video cards but this is rediculous.

Luckily with Dabs, as long as its broken, they will arrange collection and replacement.

The problem is... the earliest collection is on Wednesday.. Plus they have no stock, so what are they going to replace it with ? ?

I don't know how they handle their allocations, so Ill either have to wait until all the pre-orders have been allocated, or perhaps it will be bumped above the pre-orders when they eventually get more stock.. or perhaps due to lack of stock, they will just refund me.. which means my original pre-order was a waste of time...

It could be worse... I could have sold my 280's which I was going to this week so I could fund another 480. Id have no computer at all then lol.

Id have to go and get the cheapest nastiest video card lol... at extra cost and hassle whilst I wait to see whats going to happen.

Posted 04/18/2010 05:45 PM   

Now I am pondering video cards. I do not like RMA, it costs extra. I hate hidden costs. Vendor should pay for shoddy equipment returns.[/quote]

Posted 04/18/2010 05:45 PM   

and right now i am criticising you for your innacurate analysis. three days is quite obviously a LOT shorter than the cards are designed to last and the fact that you even try to link a faulty card with the life expectancy of a fully functional card is quite frankly quite silly.

and right now i am criticising you for your innacurate analysis. three days is quite obviously a LOT shorter than the cards are designed to last and the fact that you even try to link a faulty card with the life expectancy of a fully functional card is quite frankly quite silly.

Posted 04/18/2010 06:10 PM   

Posted 04/18/2010 06:10 PM   
[quote name='Vegan' post='1041587' date='Apr 18 2010, 01:15 PM']I have critcised NVIDIA for short life expectancy of video cards but this is rediculous.

It's now been over 3 years with mine without a single RMA. I even have an old TNT2 Ultra that still works.
[quote name='Vegan' post='1041587' date='Apr 18 2010, 01:15 PM']I have critcised NVIDIA for short life expectancy of video cards but this is rediculous.

It's now been over 3 years with mine without a single RMA. I even have an old TNT2 Ultra that still works.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.20Ghz | Win7 x64 Ultimate | 7.7 WEI

EVGA GTX480 SC @ 820 Mhz SLI | Asus VG278H 27" 3D Vision 2

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 F6 | 24GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600

OCZ 240GB RevoDrive X2 | 4.0TB Hitachi/Seagate/Western Digital HDD's

MOTU UltraLite | X-Fi Titanium

Antec Nine Hundred Two | Silverstone DA1000

Posted 04/18/2010 06:40 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top