Nvidia Control Panel Settings for World of Warcraft?
I am using a GeForce GTX 275 to play World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.
It would be helpful to get an idea of what my Nvidia Control Panel Settings should be to maximize performance and quality. My monitor has a max refresh of 60hz and native resolution of 1680x1050.
I can get 60 fps most anywhere except Dalaran or in a heavy formed raid with the Shadow Quality setting in game turned down 1 level. Other than that, the game's effect settings are equal to Ultra. The game is also set to AA 4x and Vertical Sync + Triple Buffering is enabled.

How should the following settings in the Nvidia control panel go?
Ambient Occluion - Off(experimental, really want to use it if possible)
Antialising - Enhance the application setting - 4x (changeable?)
Maximum pre-rendered frames - 0 (changeable?)
Sample optimization - Off (changeable?)
Triple Buffering - On
Vertical Sync - On(must remain on or the game experiences noticeable screen tearing)
Trilinear Optimization - Off (changeable?)
Anisotropic filtering - use the application setting (i have no idea how to even turn on AF for WoW)

Any other tweaks to get maximum quality without losing too much performance would also be great.
I want to turn the settings as high as they can go without making the game losing too much FPS.
I am using a GeForce GTX 275 to play World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.

It would be helpful to get an idea of what my Nvidia Control Panel Settings should be to maximize performance and quality. My monitor has a max refresh of 60hz and native resolution of 1680x1050.

I can get 60 fps most anywhere except Dalaran or in a heavy formed raid with the Shadow Quality setting in game turned down 1 level. Other than that, the game's effect settings are equal to Ultra. The game is also set to AA 4x and Vertical Sync + Triple Buffering is enabled.

How should the following settings in the Nvidia control panel go?

Antialising - Enhance the application setting - 4x (changeable?)

Maximum pre-rendered frames - 0 (changeable?)

Sample optimization - Off (changeable?)

Triple Buffering - On

Vertical Sync - On(must remain on or the game experiences noticeable screen tearing)

Trilinear Optimization - Off (changeable?)

Anisotropic filtering - use the application setting (i have no idea how to even turn on AF for WoW)

Any other tweaks to get maximum quality without losing too much performance would also be great.

I want to turn the settings as high as they can go without making the game losing too much FPS.

Posted 03/31/2010 10:21 PM   
There's a bit of work to be done here, so sit back and grab a drink or something. ;) There are no "TL;DR"s here!

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']I am using a GeForce GTX 275 to play World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.
I can get 60 fps most anywhere except Dalaran or in a heavy formed raid with the Shadow Quality setting in game turned down 1 level. Other than that, the game's effect settings are equal to Ultra. The game is also set to AA 4x and Vertical Sync + Triple Buffering is enabled.[/quote]
While these settings are certainly reasonable for your GPU and playing resolution, World of Warcraft is predominately CPU-limited by vertex assembly and network traffic; in terms of hardware, this means that your processor clock and core configuration can significantly affect the game's performance model in most circumstances far in advance compared to the other major subsystems. For the software aspect of this, configuring the game itself to run optimally given your CPU specifications is just as critical. Addressing those concerns includes overclocking and file modification respectively, but in the interest of simplicity, we'll focus on modifying game behavior for now - it's easier to do and errors won't cost you money.

If you've ever hand-tuned your UI, you're probably familiar with modifying the Config.WTF file in the WTF folder. If not, simply right-click the file and open with Notepad, but before changing anything, make sure that WoW is closed out (or changed will be reverted) and also save a copy of the file somewhere for safe keeping in the event something goes wrong. Now, with the file open, you'll no doubt be facing a wall of text composed of a questionable arrangement of strings and variables; this is a much less user-friendly but considerably more powerful arrangement of your rendering preferences for WoW. For now, only one of the contained strings interests us: [i]SET processAffinityMask "XX"[/i]. The XX will be a number that, when converted to a bit string, represents the processor threads WoW uses when being run. "84" is considered the best for hyper-threaded quad-core processors such as the i7s due to it dedicating the program to the primary threads of the second, third, and fourth processor core, leaving the first core free to handle background tasks. The threads are split among the other free cores to encourage the most efficient resource usage; despite there being no performance difference between the primary and "hyper" thread, loading the game onto both can unnecessarily saturate the core. To determine which configuration would be best, think of your processor threads as a bit string first.

So for the above, it would look as follows:
84 = 0b01010100

Ignoring the sign bit and reading it in the standard big-endian (LSB first, right-to-left fashion,) we can read how the processor cores/threads are assigned.
01 01 01 00 = 4th 3rd 2nd 1st

From here, read the bit ordering to see which threads the program will occupy.
01 01 01 00 = Primary(4th) Primary(3rd) Primary(2nd) None(1st)

A few different examples would be:
1111 = "15" = Quad-core/Hyper-threaded dual-core: all threads used.
0101 = "5" = Quad-core/Hyper-threaded dual-core: first and third threads used/both primary threads are used..
010101 = "21" = 6-core/Hyper-threaded three-core: first, third, and fifth threads used/all primary threads are used.
10101010 = "170" = 8-core/Hyper-threaded quad-core: second, fourth, sixth, and eighth threads are used/all hyper threads of the four cores are used.
00110100 = "52" = 8-core/Hyper-threaded quad-core: third, fifth, and sixth threads are used/primary thread of the second core and both threads of the third core are used.
11111111 = "255" = 8-core/Hyper-threaded quad-core: all threads used.

Onward!

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']How should the following settings in the Nvidia control panel go?
Ambient Occluion - Off(experimental, really want to use it if possible)[/quote]
Ambient occlusion is strictly an image quality enhancement feature. If you aren't sure of what it does or how it will look, click [url="http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ambientocclusion_home.html"]here[/url] for a spread of before-and-after shots. While the effect is impressive, it is very computationally expensive and can severely affect frame rates, particularly in zones like Grizzly Hills or when flying because of the scene complexity. For the sake of consistent and playable performance, I would recommend this feature be left disabled.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Antialising - Enhance the application setting - 4x (changeable?)[/quote]
Because you are already applying 4x MSAA within the game, setting this to enhance the application setting will effectively cause the process to be performed twice, which obviously can affect performance. You can leave this to either be controlled by the application or override the application and use any of the listed modes as you see fit. If you choose the latter, reduce the multisampling rate in-game to 1x to prevent the game engine from sampling the frames. (This would basically be the same situation as the first.)

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Maximum pre-rendered frames - 0 (changeable?)[/quote]
This will permit the CPU to prepare vertex data for (up to) a set number of frames ahead of the current one being displayed to maximize performance. Although this can smooth performance out at low frame rates, it can also affect input latency quite noticeably when set too high because of increased idle time induced by the extended storage period. A setting of 3 frames ahead is recommended for the best compromise between performance and real-time representation.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Sample optimization - Off (changeable?)[/quote]
Assuming you mean anisotropic sample optimization on transparent textures, this determines whether texture compression optimizations are applied to the mipmaps used for anisotropic filtering. It's an optimization, so the simple answer is to enable it. If you're absolutely concerned with preserving image quality - and won't be swayed by me saying I've yet to notice any condition where there is a definitive difference in appearance with the use of this optimization as opposed to without - you can leave it disabled and probably won't suffer any frames for it considering your GPU.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Triple Buffering - On[/quote]
Due to the DirectX API controlling frame buffering internally, this setting will only effect rendering behavior if you have intentionally set the renderer to OpenGL for WoW within Config.WTF. Since you have it enabled in-game, you can leave this as application-controlled or left enabled - it won't make a bit of difference either way.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Vertical Sync - On(must remain on or the game experiences noticeable screen tearing)[/quote]
As above, you can leave this as enabled or application-controlled. I can't play without it enabled either.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Trilinear Optimization - Off (changeable?)[/quote]
What drivers are you using? This has been removed from the NVCP for quite a while now. At any rate, you can leave this enabled or disabled at your discretion. As with the anisotropic filtering optimization, this reduces the memory footprint consumed by textures that are processed with trilinear filtering. If you are using anisotropic filtering, which you basically always should be unless benchmarking, this won't have any effect on performance or image quality.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Anisotropic filtering - use the application setting (i have no idea how to even turn on AF for WoW)[/quote]
In WoW, AF is labeled simply as "texture filtering" and includes what I'd expect to be 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x since I haven't been able to notice any difference between 16x forced through the NVCP or applied by it left on "High" in-game. Therefore, you can leave this as being application-controlled.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Any other tweaks to get maximum quality without losing too much performance would also be great.
I want to turn the settings as high as they can go without making the game losing too much FPS.[/quote]
One other thing you can do to your Config.WTF file is configure the game to use your graphics memory as texture cache for faster fetching. Search for or input: [i]SET gxTextureCacheSize "XXX"[/i], where again the XXX will be a number, this time in Megabytes, indicating the maximum space that can be addressed for this purpose; entering your total graphics memory will be more than enough. Overshooting the available VRAM may push the frame buffer to physical memory if the memory is oversaturated, and that's never a good thing.

What's basically left after all this in terms of obtaining better performance is overclocking your processor!
There's a bit of work to be done here, so sit back and grab a drink or something. ;) There are no "TL;DR"s here!

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']I am using a GeForce GTX 275 to play World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.

While these settings are certainly reasonable for your GPU and playing resolution, World of Warcraft is predominately CPU-limited by vertex assembly and network traffic; in terms of hardware, this means that your processor clock and core configuration can significantly affect the game's performance model in most circumstances far in advance compared to the other major subsystems. For the software aspect of this, configuring the game itself to run optimally given your CPU specifications is just as critical. Addressing those concerns includes overclocking and file modification respectively, but in the interest of simplicity, we'll focus on modifying game behavior for now - it's easier to do and errors won't cost you money.

If you've ever hand-tuned your UI, you're probably familiar with modifying the Config.WTF file in the WTF folder. If not, simply right-click the file and open with Notepad, but before changing anything, make sure that WoW is closed out (or changed will be reverted) and also save a copy of the file somewhere for safe keeping in the event something goes wrong. Now, with the file open, you'll no doubt be facing a wall of text composed of a questionable arrangement of strings and variables; this is a much less user-friendly but considerably more powerful arrangement of your rendering preferences for WoW. For now, only one of the contained strings interests us: SET processAffinityMask "XX". The XX will be a number that, when converted to a bit string, represents the processor threads WoW uses when being run. "84" is considered the best for hyper-threaded quad-core processors such as the i7s due to it dedicating the program to the primary threads of the second, third, and fourth processor core, leaving the first core free to handle background tasks. The threads are split among the other free cores to encourage the most efficient resource usage; despite there being no performance difference between the primary and "hyper" thread, loading the game onto both can unnecessarily saturate the core. To determine which configuration would be best, think of your processor threads as a bit string first.

So for the above, it would look as follows:

84 = 0b01010100

Ignoring the sign bit and reading it in the standard big-endian (LSB first, right-to-left fashion,) we can read how the processor cores/threads are assigned.

01 01 01 00 = 4th 3rd 2nd 1st

From here, read the bit ordering to see which threads the program will occupy.

01 01 01 00 = Primary(4th) Primary(3rd) Primary(2nd) None(1st)

A few different examples would be:

1111 = "15" = Quad-core/Hyper-threaded dual-core: all threads used.

0101 = "5" = Quad-core/Hyper-threaded dual-core: first and third threads used/both primary threads are used..

010101 = "21" = 6-core/Hyper-threaded three-core: first, third, and fifth threads used/all primary threads are used.

10101010 = "170" = 8-core/Hyper-threaded quad-core: second, fourth, sixth, and eighth threads are used/all hyper threads of the four cores are used.

00110100 = "52" = 8-core/Hyper-threaded quad-core: third, fifth, and sixth threads are used/primary thread of the second core and both threads of the third core are used.

11111111 = "255" = 8-core/Hyper-threaded quad-core: all threads used.

Onward!

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']How should the following settings in the Nvidia control panel go?

Ambient occlusion is strictly an image quality enhancement feature. If you aren't sure of what it does or how it will look, click here for a spread of before-and-after shots. While the effect is impressive, it is very computationally expensive and can severely affect frame rates, particularly in zones like Grizzly Hills or when flying because of the scene complexity. For the sake of consistent and playable performance, I would recommend this feature be left disabled.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Antialising - Enhance the application setting - 4x (changeable?)

Because you are already applying 4x MSAA within the game, setting this to enhance the application setting will effectively cause the process to be performed twice, which obviously can affect performance. You can leave this to either be controlled by the application or override the application and use any of the listed modes as you see fit. If you choose the latter, reduce the multisampling rate in-game to 1x to prevent the game engine from sampling the frames. (This would basically be the same situation as the first.)

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Maximum pre-rendered frames - 0 (changeable?)

This will permit the CPU to prepare vertex data for (up to) a set number of frames ahead of the current one being displayed to maximize performance. Although this can smooth performance out at low frame rates, it can also affect input latency quite noticeably when set too high because of increased idle time induced by the extended storage period. A setting of 3 frames ahead is recommended for the best compromise between performance and real-time representation.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Sample optimization - Off (changeable?)

Assuming you mean anisotropic sample optimization on transparent textures, this determines whether texture compression optimizations are applied to the mipmaps used for anisotropic filtering. It's an optimization, so the simple answer is to enable it. If you're absolutely concerned with preserving image quality - and won't be swayed by me saying I've yet to notice any condition where there is a definitive difference in appearance with the use of this optimization as opposed to without - you can leave it disabled and probably won't suffer any frames for it considering your GPU.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Triple Buffering - On

Due to the DirectX API controlling frame buffering internally, this setting will only effect rendering behavior if you have intentionally set the renderer to OpenGL for WoW within Config.WTF. Since you have it enabled in-game, you can leave this as application-controlled or left enabled - it won't make a bit of difference either way.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Vertical Sync - On(must remain on or the game experiences noticeable screen tearing)

As above, you can leave this as enabled or application-controlled. I can't play without it enabled either.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Trilinear Optimization - Off (changeable?)

What drivers are you using? This has been removed from the NVCP for quite a while now. At any rate, you can leave this enabled or disabled at your discretion. As with the anisotropic filtering optimization, this reduces the memory footprint consumed by textures that are processed with trilinear filtering. If you are using anisotropic filtering, which you basically always should be unless benchmarking, this won't have any effect on performance or image quality.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Anisotropic filtering - use the application setting (i have no idea how to even turn on AF for WoW)

In WoW, AF is labeled simply as "texture filtering" and includes what I'd expect to be 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x since I haven't been able to notice any difference between 16x forced through the NVCP or applied by it left on "High" in-game. Therefore, you can leave this as being application-controlled.

[quote name='theihouse' post='1031502' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Any other tweaks to get maximum quality without losing too much performance would also be great.

One other thing you can do to your Config.WTF file is configure the game to use your graphics memory as texture cache for faster fetching. Search for or input: SET gxTextureCacheSize "XXX", where again the XXX will be a number, this time in Megabytes, indicating the maximum space that can be addressed for this purpose; entering your total graphics memory will be more than enough. Overshooting the available VRAM may push the frame buffer to physical memory if the memory is oversaturated, and that's never a good thing.

What's basically left after all this in terms of obtaining better performance is overclocking your processor!

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 03/31/2010 11:30 PM   
I was very excited to find your post! You seem very knowledgeable and helpful.
While it might be user error, I cannot find the lines for set processaffinitymask or set gxtexturecachesize in my config file - is that something I have to manually add?

Also - you seem to firmly believe CPU power has more to do with game performance. I've looked all over the internet and the opinions on this sway between "upgrade cpu" and "upgrade gpu". I dont know which is the biggest bottleneck!!!

I have an nVidia GeForce 9800GT w/ 512Mb. My CPU is a Pentium D dual core 2.66Ghz and I have 4Gb of RAM. The only time I really see a slow down is in raids with a lot of spells and activities happening.

I dont know how much I can upgrade my processor - a Core Duo 3Ghz is the highest I can go on my mob without having to buy a new one (and RAM).
I just dont know if it's worth it to put the money in a processor that might or might not improve performance!!!

Any thoughts you have on whether or not a cpu upgrade would help and what I'm missing in the config would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I was very excited to find your post! You seem very knowledgeable and helpful.

While it might be user error, I cannot find the lines for set processaffinitymask or set gxtexturecachesize in my config file - is that something I have to manually add?

Also - you seem to firmly believe CPU power has more to do with game performance. I've looked all over the internet and the opinions on this sway between "upgrade cpu" and "upgrade gpu". I dont know which is the biggest bottleneck!!!

I have an nVidia GeForce 9800GT w/ 512Mb. My CPU is a Pentium D dual core 2.66Ghz and I have 4Gb of RAM. The only time I really see a slow down is in raids with a lot of spells and activities happening.

I dont know how much I can upgrade my processor - a Core Duo 3Ghz is the highest I can go on my mob without having to buy a new one (and RAM).

I just dont know if it's worth it to put the money in a processor that might or might not improve performance!!!

Any thoughts you have on whether or not a cpu upgrade would help and what I'm missing in the config would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted 04/10/2010 12:34 AM   
[quote name='Merlinver' post='1037138' date='Apr 9 2010, 08:34 PM']I was very excited to find your post! You seem very knowledgeable and helpful.
While it might be user error, I cannot find the lines for set processaffinitymask or set gxtexturecachesize in my config file - is that something I have to manually add?[/quote]
I've noticed the gxTextureCacheSize and processAffinityMask variables being wiped away with some of the recent patches, so yes, if your version of the game is current, you'll have to add them yourself. Simply append the following to the end of your Config file as follows:

[quote]SET gxTextureCacheSize "XX"SET processAffinityMask "YY"[/quote]

XX is the portion of your graphics memory (in Megabytes) you wish to flag as addressable for texture caching. Entering 512 for this will allow all of your GPU's memory to be used for caching when possible, for example. YY is the number converted from the bit string representation mess I covered earlier. Considering your processor, this will probably only work being set as 3. (Primary and secondary cores used.)

[quote name='Merlinver' post='1037138' date='Apr 9 2010, 08:34 PM']Also - you seem to firmly believe CPU power has more to do with game performance. I've looked all over the internet and the opinions on this sway between "upgrade cpu" and "upgrade gpu". I dont know which is the biggest bottleneck!!!

I just dont know if it's worth it to put the money in a processor that might or might not improve performance!!![/quote]
Well, for World of Warcraft, the CPU will be the prime performance determinant in a large number of cases due to the nature of the game relying on substantial client-server interactions with dozens or hundreds of other players and NPCs as well as the game's rather minimal overall visual fidelity causing the system to depend on CPU throughput much more critically than the graphics subsystem for the completion of a frame. These conditions are further affected by your visual preferences and the playing resolution. Is this where your performance issues stem from? Possibly, but that isn't such an easy question to answer in complete confidence because there are a few unknowns, not to mention that your performance can be improved without spending any money at all.

[list]
[*]What are your other system specifications? As the bare minimum, please post your motherboard, power supply, and operating system. A DxDiag log isn't necessary.
[*]What are your in-game visual settings? Include the multisampling rate and any additional information such as vertical sync, triple buffering, use of windowed mode, etc.
[*]What resolution are you playing at?
[*]Have you modified the WoW.exe performance profile from within the NVIDIA control panel to force features such as ambient occlusion, an adjusted prerender limit, or enhanced/overridden anti-aliasing?
[*]If you decide to upgrade your processor at some point, what would be your budget ceiling? Furthermore, is this a prebuilt machine or one you've assembled, and would you be comfortable installing a new CPU?
[/list]
The reason for the last question is because it is very likely that your CPU is your primary performance limitation, but I don't like to dole out hardware purchasing suggestions until the very end of the process. If you play other games regularly on your system, though, it may be in your best interest to consider upgrading. Still, let's not get ahead of things. This will wait for later.

For the [faction]!
[quote name='Merlinver' post='1037138' date='Apr 9 2010, 08:34 PM']I was very excited to find your post! You seem very knowledgeable and helpful.

I've noticed the gxTextureCacheSize and processAffinityMask variables being wiped away with some of the recent patches, so yes, if your version of the game is current, you'll have to add them yourself. Simply append the following to the end of your Config file as follows:

SET gxTextureCacheSize "XX"SET processAffinityMask "YY"

XX is the portion of your graphics memory (in Megabytes) you wish to flag as addressable for texture caching. Entering 512 for this will allow all of your GPU's memory to be used for caching when possible, for example. YY is the number converted from the bit string representation mess I covered earlier. Considering your processor, this will probably only work being set as 3. (Primary and secondary cores used.)

[quote name='Merlinver' post='1037138' date='Apr 9 2010, 08:34 PM']Also - you seem to firmly believe CPU power has more to do with game performance. I've looked all over the internet and the opinions on this sway between "upgrade cpu" and "upgrade gpu". I dont know which is the biggest bottleneck!!!

Well, for World of Warcraft, the CPU will be the prime performance determinant in a large number of cases due to the nature of the game relying on substantial client-server interactions with dozens or hundreds of other players and NPCs as well as the game's rather minimal overall visual fidelity causing the system to depend on CPU throughput much more critically than the graphics subsystem for the completion of a frame. These conditions are further affected by your visual preferences and the playing resolution. Is this where your performance issues stem from? Possibly, but that isn't such an easy question to answer in complete confidence because there are a few unknowns, not to mention that your performance can be improved without spending any money at all.

• What are your other system specifications? As the bare minimum, please post your motherboard, power supply, and operating system. A DxDiag log isn't necessary.
  • What are your in-game visual settings? Include the multisampling rate and any additional information such as vertical sync, triple buffering, use of windowed mode, etc.
  • What resolution are you playing at?
  • Have you modified the WoW.exe performance profile from within the NVIDIA control panel to force features such as ambient occlusion, an adjusted prerender limit, or enhanced/overridden anti-aliasing?
  • If you decide to upgrade your processor at some point, what would be your budget ceiling? Furthermore, is this a prebuilt machine or one you've assembled, and would you be comfortable installing a new CPU?

The reason for the last question is because it is very likely that your CPU is your primary performance limitation, but I don't like to dole out hardware purchasing suggestions until the very end of the process. If you play other games regularly on your system, though, it may be in your best interest to consider upgrading. Still, let's not get ahead of things. This will wait for later.

For the [faction]!

Posted 04/10/2010 01:30 AM   
[list]
[*]What are your other system specifications? As the bare minimum, please post your motherboard, power supply, and operating system. A DxDiag log isn't necessary.

I have an Asus P5LD2-VM motherboard, Intel 805D 2.66mhz processor, 630 watt psu, and running Win 7.

[*]What are your in-game visual settings? Include the multisampling rate and any additional information such as vertical sync, triple buffering, use of windowed mode, etc.

MultiSample: 24 @ 8x
Vert Sync: ON
Triple Buffering: OFF
Windowed mode: sometimes - depends on what I'm doing in game. Lately I've been playing in windowed mode maximized. I hadn't thought of that as an issue - I dont remember if I've switched it when going into raids or not.

1920x1080

[*]Have you modified the WoW.exe performance profile from within the NVIDIA control panel to force features such as ambient occlusion, an adjusted prerender limit, or enhanced/overridden anti-aliasing?

I've left all NVIDIA control panel settings at default.

[*]If you decide to upgrade your processor at some point, what would be your budget ceiling? Furthermore, is this a prebuilt machine or one you've assembled, and would you be comfortable installing a new CPU?

I've built all my pc's for 15 years, so I'm comfortable with installing upgrades.

Budget.....isnt the answer always "low"?!!!! It's $100 for the fastest chip that will run on my board (E6600 3 ghz). To upgrade everything to i5 would be around $500. Not having a job at the moment really excludes a full upgrade right now. I'm willing to spend a little tax return on the $100 upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do so if it really wont benefit me much since I'll probably upgrade everything once I have a job and get caught up. I expect that to be within a few months since I'm getting 5 IT certifications through a government program for the unemployed - and the training center is required to find me a job (if they want to continue receiving government funding).

I overclocked the chip today using the Asus BIOS - things are stable at 2.99 mhz (up from 2.66), but I haven't raided yet so I dont know if it will make a difference.
[/list]

For the HORDE!!!!

Thanks for the help!

• What are your other system specifications? As the bare minimum, please post your motherboard, power supply, and operating system. A DxDiag log isn't necessary.

• I have an Asus P5LD2-VM motherboard, Intel 805D 2.66mhz processor, 630 watt psu, and running Win 7.

• What are your in-game visual settings? Include the multisampling rate and any additional information such as vertical sync, triple buffering, use of windowed mode, etc.

• MultiSample: 24 @ 8x

Windowed mode: sometimes - depends on what I'm doing in game. Lately I've been playing in windowed mode maximized. I hadn't thought of that as an issue - I dont remember if I've switched it when going into raids or not.

• 1920x1080

• Have you modified the WoW.exe performance profile from within the NVIDIA control panel to force features such as ambient occlusion, an adjusted prerender limit, or enhanced/overridden anti-aliasing?

• I've left all NVIDIA control panel settings at default.

• If you decide to upgrade your processor at some point, what would be your budget ceiling? Furthermore, is this a prebuilt machine or one you've assembled, and would you be comfortable installing a new CPU?

• I've built all my pc's for 15 years, so I'm comfortable with installing upgrades.

Budget.....isnt the answer always "low"?!!!! It's $100 for the fastest chip that will run on my board (E6600 3 ghz). To upgrade everything to i5 would be around $500. Not having a job at the moment really excludes a full upgrade right now. I'm willing to spend a little tax return on the $100 upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do so if it really wont benefit me much since I'll probably upgrade everything once I have a job and get caught up. I expect that to be within a few months since I'm getting 5 IT certifications through a government program for the unemployed - and the training center is required to find me a job (if they want to continue receiving government funding).

I overclocked the chip today using the Asus BIOS - things are stable at 2.99 mhz (up from 2.66), but I haven't raided yet so I dont know if it will make a difference.

For the HORDE!!!!

Thanks for the help!

Posted 04/19/2010 01:28 AM   
[list]

I have an Asus P5LD2-VM motherboard, Intel 805D 2.66mhz processor, 630 watt psu, and running Win 7.

MultiSample: 24 @ 8x

1920x1080

I've left all NVIDIA control panel settings at default.

I've built all my pc's for 15 years, so I'm comfortable with installing upgrades.

[/list]

For the HORDE!!!!

Thanks for the help!

• I have an Asus P5LD2-VM motherboard, Intel 805D 2.66mhz processor, 630 watt psu, and running Win 7.

• MultiSample: 24 @ 8x

• 1920x1080

• I've left all NVIDIA control panel settings at default.

• I've built all my pc's for 15 years, so I'm comfortable with installing upgrades.

For the HORDE!!!!

Thanks for the help!

Posted 04/19/2010 01:28 AM   
Nice topic, im trying every time customize my gpu for the best settings to play that game.
I have double 9800 gtx SLI MODE
double kingston 2gb+2gb 667 mhz
process intel core 2 duo e4600 2.4GHZ
monitor samsung 2233rz 120hz 3d ready

Im looking for best settings, my actual settings is:
Anisotropic filtering =16x
Antialiasing - Mode = Enhanced
Antialiasing - Seting SLI 32X
Antialiasing - Transparency = Multisampling
Extension limit On
Maximum pre-rendered frames =8
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode
Preferred refresh rate = Use global setting
SLI performance mode Single-GPU
Texture filtering - Anisotropic.... = off
Texture filtering - Negative... = allow
Texture filtering - Quality = Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear.,... = on

I got 30 fps on dalaran
Any sugestion to get more performance?
Nice topic, im trying every time customize my gpu for the best settings to play that game.

Extension limit On

I got 30 fps on dalaran

Posted 05/13/2010 02:03 AM   
[quote name='stailhe' post='1054822' date='May 12 2010, 10:03 PM']Nice topic, im trying every time customize my gpu for the best settings to play that game.

Extension limit On

I got 30 fps on dalaran
Any sugestion to get more performance?[/quote]

Hope you won't mind the "rapid fire" answer, but give this a try:

In the NVIDIA Control Panel...
[list]
[*]Disable SLI or run World of Warcraft in Single-GPU mode as per the application definition. (As you have it.)
[*]Change the anisotropic filtering setting to be application-controlled.
[*]Change the anti-aliasing setting to a single-GPU process. (Not an SLI type, ex: 4x or 16xQ, not SLI 4x or SLI 16xQ.)
[*]Change the anti-aliasing mode to override the application's AA settings.
[*]Enable the anisotropic optimization for texture filtering.
[/list]
In World of Warcraft itself...
[list]
[*]Disable windowed mode and input latency correction if they are enabled.
[*]Disable or uninstall add-ons that you do not use or only use on certain characters.
[*]Reduce shadow detail to be one notch below Ultra settings.
[*]Reduce the in-game multisampling rate to 1x.
[*]Enable vertical synchronization and triple buffering if they are disabled.
[/list]
In the Config.WTF file...
[list]
[*]Find and set/adjust the optimal core allocation.
[*]Find and set/adjust the texture caching volume.
[/list]
In Windows itself... (Not necessary, merely suggestions.)
[list]
[*]Download and run the [url="http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html"]Leatrix Latency Fix[/url] followed by [url="http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16336-PingEnhancer.html"]PingEnhancer[/url] to improve network performance.
[*]Regularly defragment your HDD(s) to maintain optimum performance inside the game and out.
[/list]

If you have any questions regarding why a change was suggested, by all means ask and I'll do my best to provide some clarity.
[quote name='stailhe' post='1054822' date='May 12 2010, 10:03 PM']Nice topic, im trying every time customize my gpu for the best settings to play that game.

Extension limit On

I got 30 fps on dalaran

Hope you won't mind the "rapid fire" answer, but give this a try:

In the NVIDIA Control Panel...

• Disable SLI or run World of Warcraft in Single-GPU mode as per the application definition. (As you have it.)
  • Change the anisotropic filtering setting to be application-controlled.
  • Change the anti-aliasing setting to a single-GPU process. (Not an SLI type, ex: 4x or 16xQ, not SLI 4x or SLI 16xQ.)
  • Change the anti-aliasing mode to override the application's AA settings.
  • Enable the anisotropic optimization for texture filtering.

In World of Warcraft itself...

• Disable windowed mode and input latency correction if they are enabled.
  • Disable or uninstall add-ons that you do not use or only use on certain characters.
  • Reduce shadow detail to be one notch below Ultra settings.
  • Reduce the in-game multisampling rate to 1x.
  • Enable vertical synchronization and triple buffering if they are disabled.

In the Config.WTF file...

• Find and set/adjust the optimal core allocation.
  • Find and set/adjust the texture caching volume.

In Windows itself... (Not necessary, merely suggestions.)

• Download and run the Leatrix Latency Fix followed by PingEnhancer to improve network performance.
  • Regularly defragment your HDD(s) to maintain optimum performance inside the game and out.

If you have any questions regarding why a change was suggested, by all means ask and I'll do my best to provide some clarity.

Posted 05/13/2010 04:35 PM   
Thank you so much for faster asnwer, well im using your configurations except input lag and windowed. I have question about config.WTF file, i dont know what parametres i should input, can you help me? Sorry my english, im brazilian.
Thank you so much for faster asnwer, well im using your configurations except input lag and windowed. I have question about config.WTF file, i dont know what parametres i should input, can you help me? Sorry my english, im brazilian.

Posted 05/14/2010 01:19 AM   
[quote name='stailhe' post='1055418' date='May 13 2010, 09:19 PM']Thank you so much for faster asnwer, well im using your configurations except input lag and windowed. I have question about config.WTF file, i dont know what parametres i should input, can you help me? Sorry my english, im brazilian.[/quote]

Windowed mode is going to have a fairly strong impact on your frame rate since the GPU must draw both your desktop and the 3D scene within the game for each frame, and if you insist on running in this mode, I'd at least advise it's done while in "full screen" and with resizing disabled. Input lag reduction is essentially the same as adjusting the CPU vertex prerender limit in the NVCP; by reducing how far ahead of the current frame the CPU can prepare vertex data for, it allows for more real-time processing of input commands from peripheral devices. The drawback to this is that performance will suffer at lower frame rates.

For your Config.WTF file, try inputting or adjusting the following parameters in the proper format:

SET processAffinityMask "10"
SET gxTextureCacheSize "512"

[size=1](Note to other users: these settings are specific to [b]stailhe[/b]'s system configuration. Your optimal settings will most likely differ.)[/size]

I'd like to lastly mention that the texture cache size depends on the type of 9800 GTXs you have; 512 MB or 1024 MB editions, so set accordingly. The setting I provided is for the former.
[quote name='stailhe' post='1055418' date='May 13 2010, 09:19 PM']Thank you so much for faster asnwer, well im using your configurations except input lag and windowed. I have question about config.WTF file, i dont know what parametres i should input, can you help me? Sorry my english, im brazilian.

Windowed mode is going to have a fairly strong impact on your frame rate since the GPU must draw both your desktop and the 3D scene within the game for each frame, and if you insist on running in this mode, I'd at least advise it's done while in "full screen" and with resizing disabled. Input lag reduction is essentially the same as adjusting the CPU vertex prerender limit in the NVCP; by reducing how far ahead of the current frame the CPU can prepare vertex data for, it allows for more real-time processing of input commands from peripheral devices. The drawback to this is that performance will suffer at lower frame rates.

For your Config.WTF file, try inputting or adjusting the following parameters in the proper format:

SET processAffinityMask "10"

SET gxTextureCacheSize "512"

(Note to other users: these settings are specific to stailhe's system configuration. Your optimal settings will most likely differ.)

I'd like to lastly mention that the texture cache size depends on the type of 9800 GTXs you have; 512 MB or 1024 MB editions, so set accordingly. The setting I provided is for the former.

Posted 05/14/2010 02:43 AM   
NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/14/2010 23:57:05
System name: LUCIANO-PC

[Display]
Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Driver version: 197.45
CUDA Cores: 128
Core clock: 740 MHz
Shader clock: 1836 MHz
Memory clock: 1100 MHz (2200 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 256-bit
Total available graphics memory: 2303 MB
Dedicated video memory: 512 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1791 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.92.56.00.06
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16
NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/14/2010 23:57:05

System name: LUCIANO-PC

[Display]

Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Driver version: 197.45

CUDA Cores: 128

Core clock: 740 MHz

Shader clock: 1836 MHz

Memory clock: 1100 MHz (2200 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 256-bit

Total available graphics memory: 2303 MB

Dedicated video memory: 512 MB

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 1791 MB

Video BIOS version: 62.92.56.00.06

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16

Posted 05/15/2010 02:52 AM   
[quote name='stailhe' post='1055992' date='May 14 2010, 10:52 PM']Dedicated video memory: 512 MB[/quote]

This would be our point of interest. Therefore, the two lines from my previous post to be inputted into the Config.WTF file will behave correctly with your system.
[quote name='stailhe' post='1055992' date='May 14 2010, 10:52 PM']Dedicated video memory: 512 MB

This would be our point of interest. Therefore, the two lines from my previous post to be inputted into the Config.WTF file will behave correctly with your system.

Posted 05/15/2010 10:15 AM   
Understand, well when i have nHancer i got more performance then nvidia control panel, ill try get best configuration fo this game, any sugestion im here to test. thx man
Understand, well when i have nHancer i got more performance then nvidia control panel, ill try get best configuration fo this game, any sugestion im here to test. thx man

Posted 05/15/2010 07:52 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='1056102' date='May 15 2010, 07:15 AM']This would be our point of interest. Therefore, the two lines from my previous post to be inputted into the Config.WTF file will behave correctly with your system.[/quote]

Can you helpo me config my PC to Best performance in World of Warcraft?

My system spec:

Key Features
Laptop Type Thin and Light Laptop
Use Home Use
Processor Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz
Installed Memory 4 GB (DDR3 SDRAM)
Display 14.1 in. WXGA TFT Active Matrix
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Mobile Technology Wi-Fi Certified
Weight 2.4 kg
Processor
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Type Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed 2.13 GHz
Motherboard
Chipset Intel PM45 Express
Bus Speed 1066 MHz
Memory
Installed RAM 4 GB
RAM Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Max Supported RAM 8 GB
RAM Speed 1066 MHz
Installed Cache Memory 3072 KB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB
Hard Drive Rotation Speed 5,400 RPM
Storage Controller Type Serial ATA
CD / DVD
CD / DVD Type Blu-Ray
Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD) • 8x (DVD)
Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD) • 8x (DVD+R) • 8x (DVD-R) • 6x (DVD+R DL) • 6x (DVD-R DL)
Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 10x (CD-RW) • 24x (CD-RW) • 8x (DVD+RW) • 8x (DVD-RW) • 6x (DVD-RW) • 5x (DVD-RAM)
Display
Display Tech WXGA TFT Active Matrix
Screen Size 14.1 in.
Display Max. Resolution 1366 x 768
Video
Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Installed Video Memory 512 MB
Audio
Audio Output Type Headphones • Sound card • Speaker(s) • Analog Audio
Audio Input Type Microphone
Operating System
Platform PC
Technical Features
Expandability 1 x SD Card Slot, 1 x Memory Stick DUO, Memory Stick PRO HG Duo
Expansion Ports 1 x IEEE 1394a (FireWire), VGA out, RJ-45 (NIC), TV Out (RCA), HDMI
Security Features Slot For Cable Lock
Special Features Integrated Video Camera
Input Method Track Pad
Networking
Networking Type Bluetooth • Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card • Integrated Wireless LAN
Data Link Protocol Bluetooth • Ethernet • Fast Ethernet • Gigabit Ethernet • IEEE 802.11a • IEEE 802.11b • IEEE 802.11g • IEEE 802.11n
Battery
Battery Run Time 3.75 Hours
Battery Technology Lithium ion
[quote name='Exitios' post='1056102' date='May 15 2010, 07:15 AM']This would be our point of interest. Therefore, the two lines from my previous post to be inputted into the Config.WTF file will behave correctly with your system.

My system spec:

Key Features

Use Home Use

Weight 2.4 kg

Processor

Processor Speed 2.13 GHz

Motherboard

Bus Speed 1066 MHz

Memory

Installed RAM 4 GB

Max Supported RAM 8 GB

RAM Speed 1066 MHz

Hard Drive

CD / DVD

CD / DVD Type Blu-Ray

Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD) • 8x (DVD+R) • 8x (DVD-R) • 6x (DVD+R DL) • 6x (DVD-R DL)

Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 10x (CD-RW) • 24x (CD-RW) • 8x (DVD+RW) • 8x (DVD-RW) • 6x (DVD-RW) • 5x (DVD-RAM)

Display

Screen Size 14.1 in.

Video

Audio

Operating System

Platform PC

Technical Features

Expansion Ports 1 x IEEE 1394a (FireWire), VGA out, RJ-45 (NIC), TV Out (RCA), HDMI

Input Method Track Pad

Networking

Networking Type Bluetooth • Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card • Integrated Wireless LAN

Data Link Protocol Bluetooth • Ethernet • Fast Ethernet • Gigabit Ethernet • IEEE 802.11a • IEEE 802.11b • IEEE 802.11g • IEEE 802.11n

Battery

Posted 09/02/2010 10:54 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='1056102' date='May 15 2010, 07:15 AM']This would be our point of interest. Therefore, the two lines from my previous post to be inputted into the Config.WTF file will behave correctly with your system.[/quote]

My system spec:

Key Features
Use Home Use
Weight 2.4 kg
Processor
Processor Speed 2.13 GHz
Motherboard
Bus Speed 1066 MHz
Memory
Installed RAM 4 GB
Max Supported RAM 8 GB
RAM Speed 1066 MHz
Hard Drive
CD / DVD
CD / DVD Type Blu-Ray
Display
Screen Size 14.1 in.
Video
Audio
Operating System
Platform PC
Technical Features
Input Method Track Pad
Networking
Battery
[quote name='Exitios' post='1056102' date='May 15 2010, 07:15 AM']This would be our point of interest. Therefore, the two lines from my previous post to be inputted into the Config.WTF file will behave correctly with your system.

My system spec:

Key Features

Use Home Use

Weight 2.4 kg

Processor

Processor Speed 2.13 GHz

Motherboard

Bus Speed 1066 MHz

Memory

Installed RAM 4 GB

Max Supported RAM 8 GB

RAM Speed 1066 MHz

Hard Drive

CD / DVD

CD / DVD Type Blu-Ray

Display

Screen Size 14.1 in.

Video

Audio

Operating System

Platform PC

Technical Features

Input Method Track Pad

Networking

Battery

Posted 09/02/2010 10:54 PM   
Scroll To Top