Flickering 3rd party shutter glasses problem solved (Elsa Revelator)
I still had my Elsa Revelator 3D wired shutter glasses from 1999, so when Fujifilm launched their W1 stereo digicam, it renewed my interest in 3D and I decided to check out some of the sample pictures and videos from the camera. But when I tried connecting my Elsa Revelator 3D glasses, all I got from them was random flickering. They used to work some years ago, but my initial thought was that they were broken and I needed to buy a new pair. Then I found that lots of people on the net had the same problem.

Here's what I found you need for third party 3D shutter glasses to work:

- a CRT monitor (a second-hand 21" is probably most readily and affordably available)
- Windows XP (Vista/7 drivers no longer support 3rd party glasses). If XP is not your main OS, you probably need to either dual-boot or install it on a separate partition.
- ForceWare drivers 71.89, 78.01, 84.21, 91.31 or 162.50 at the very latest with their respective 3D stereo enabling counterparts. 162.50 were the last drivers to suppord 3rd party glasses.
- a GeForce 7900GS, 7800gtx, 7900GT, 7900GTX or 7950 older card. Those were the last cards to fully support 3rd party glasses. Reportedly 8800 gtx, 8800 gts (the old one with 320 and 640 mb ram) and 8800 Ultra cards can be made to work with lots of hacking, but only for DirecX (so no OpenGL)

You can then either make a fresh Windows XP install or follow these guidelines:
- download and install any of the above drivers (for example 91.31_winxp2kmce_english_whql.exe). then download and install the 3D stereo enabler that corresponds to the driver number (for example 91.31_forceware_3dstereo.exe). reboot.
- the CRT monitor has to be the only monitor enabled in XP. at first I tried a dual-monitor setup with my LCD monitor and never got the glasses to work. disable LCD monitor in XP's display properties or reboot the computer without LCD monitor attatched.
- launch the Nvidia Control panel (I prefer the classic version), go to 3D Stereo settings, click "Enable 3D stereo" (writing this from memory, the actual names may differ somewhat), make sure the selected method is shutter glasses. Use the test applications in the control panel to see whether your glasses are working (one is called Medical Test Image, the other is the one where you can select monitor size, resolution and refresh rate).
- try different video cable configurations. at first I tried a narrow modern cable that came with my LCD and all I got was random flickering. then I tried an older tougher cable that came with my CRT but still got random flickering. suddenly I noticed a sticker on one end of the cable saying "This side to monitor" - and of course it was connected to my video card. I switched the ends around and suddenly the glasses started working properly. I could see all the test images and applications in glorious 3D. I guess it even matters WHICH WAY you connect the cable.
- at first everything worked great, I watched movies and pictures in 3D but then a while later I noticed a random flicker (like a white flash) starting to appear every now and then. I traced this down to having installed a USB WIFI dongle and enabled a web connection. when I disabled the network connection, the flickering was gone. when I enabled network connection, the flickering was back. so if you have a network connection and get flickering, try disabling it. if that doesn't work, try disabling any external USB devices.

So this is how I got my 3D back after a pause of nearly... must have been 6 or 7 years. Hopefully this short guide can be of help to others with the same problem as well.

My own setup for the test:
* Windows XP Pro SP3 + Nvidia ForceWare 91.31 with 3D Stereo
* 21" CRT (Dell P1110) + 22" LCD (Samsung 226BW)

I also tried this setup on two computers and it worked on both (upgraded my sys in the meantime):
* AMD Sempron 64 3400+ platform with Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP
* AMD Phenom II X4 940 platform with Nvidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-E
I still had my Elsa Revelator 3D wired shutter glasses from 1999, so when Fujifilm launched their W1 stereo digicam, it renewed my interest in 3D and I decided to check out some of the sample pictures and videos from the camera. But when I tried connecting my Elsa Revelator 3D glasses, all I got from them was random flickering. They used to work some years ago, but my initial thought was that they were broken and I needed to buy a new pair. Then I found that lots of people on the net had the same problem.

- a CRT monitor (a second-hand 21" is probably most readily and affordably available)

- Windows XP (Vista/7 drivers no longer support 3rd party glasses). If XP is not your main OS, you probably need to either dual-boot or install it on a separate partition.

- ForceWare drivers 71.89, 78.01, 84.21, 91.31 or 162.50 at the very latest with their respective 3D stereo enabling counterparts. 162.50 were the last drivers to suppord 3rd party glasses.

- a GeForce 7900GS, 7800gtx, 7900GT, 7900GTX or 7950 older card. Those were the last cards to fully support 3rd party glasses. Reportedly 8800 gtx, 8800 gts (the old one with 320 and 640 mb ram) and 8800 Ultra cards can be made to work with lots of hacking, but only for DirecX (so no OpenGL)

- download and install any of the above drivers (for example 91.31_winxp2kmce_english_whql.exe). then download and install the 3D stereo enabler that corresponds to the driver number (for example 91.31_forceware_3dstereo.exe). reboot.

- the CRT monitor has to be the only monitor enabled in XP. at first I tried a dual-monitor setup with my LCD monitor and never got the glasses to work. disable LCD monitor in XP's display properties or reboot the computer without LCD monitor attatched.

- launch the Nvidia Control panel (I prefer the classic version), go to 3D Stereo settings, click "Enable 3D stereo" (writing this from memory, the actual names may differ somewhat), make sure the selected method is shutter glasses. Use the test applications in the control panel to see whether your glasses are working (one is called Medical Test Image, the other is the one where you can select monitor size, resolution and refresh rate).

- try different video cable configurations. at first I tried a narrow modern cable that came with my LCD and all I got was random flickering. then I tried an older tougher cable that came with my CRT but still got random flickering. suddenly I noticed a sticker on one end of the cable saying "This side to monitor" - and of course it was connected to my video card. I switched the ends around and suddenly the glasses started working properly. I could see all the test images and applications in glorious 3D. I guess it even matters WHICH WAY you connect the cable.

- at first everything worked great, I watched movies and pictures in 3D but then a while later I noticed a random flicker (like a white flash) starting to appear every now and then. I traced this down to having installed a USB WIFI dongle and enabled a web connection. when I disabled the network connection, the flickering was gone. when I enabled network connection, the flickering was back. so if you have a network connection and get flickering, try disabling it. if that doesn't work, try disabling any external USB devices.

So this is how I got my 3D back after a pause of nearly... must have been 6 or 7 years. Hopefully this short guide can be of help to others with the same problem as well.

I also tried this setup on two computers and it worked on both (upgraded my sys in the meantime):

Posted 03/20/2010 07:17 AM   
Description of "old school" nvidiastereodriver usage. There's excellent support for older games (avp2 and tr2 are my faves with this config) with this. Expect no success with newer games though since only xp as well as maximum 7950 is supported. I prefer to run a dual op-system setup because of this: The winxp and 7900 (169.21fw+162.50 stereo) allows me to play older games while i use the 8800gtx+iz3d-drivers for newer.
Description of "old school" nvidiastereodriver usage. There's excellent support for older games (avp2 and tr2 are my faves with this config) with this. Expect no success with newer games though since only xp as well as maximum 7950 is supported. I prefer to run a dual op-system setup because of this: The winxp and 7900 (169.21fw+162.50 stereo) allows me to play older games while i use the 8800gtx+iz3d-drivers for newer.

Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Cpu: C2D E6600

Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX

3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Stereodrivers: Iz3d & Tridef ignition and nvidia old school.

Posted 03/20/2010 11:27 AM   
[quote name='sir_tonyx' post='1023320' date='Mar 20 2010, 08:17 AM']I still had my Elsa Revelator 3D wired shutter glasses from 1999, so when Fujifilm launched their W1 stereo digicam, it renewed my interest in 3D and I decided to check out some of the sample pictures and videos from the camera. But when I tried connecting my Elsa Revelator 3D glasses, all I got from them was random flickering. They used to work some years ago, but my initial thought was that they were broken and I needed to buy a new pair. Then I found that lots of people on the net had the same problem.

* AMD Phenom II X4 940 platform with Nvidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-E[/quote]

Hi Anton Klink,

I'm planning to buy some ELSA Revelator shutter glasses on eBay.
I'm using Windows 7 with Geforce 8400GS and would like to know if it is possible to use the Elsa glasses with the new Windows Vista/7 drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/legacy_stereo_3d_drivers.html) that still exists for the Zalman Trimon 3D displays.
I think the Zalman Trimon 3D displays where supported by the old 91.31 drivers, so maybe this new drivers work with the Elsa glasses too.
Can you test this? Many thanks.

Regards,

Michael

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english :)
[quote name='sir_tonyx' post='1023320' date='Mar 20 2010, 08:17 AM']I still had my Elsa Revelator 3D wired shutter glasses from 1999, so when Fujifilm launched their W1 stereo digicam, it renewed my interest in 3D and I decided to check out some of the sample pictures and videos from the camera. But when I tried connecting my Elsa Revelator 3D glasses, all I got from them was random flickering. They used to work some years ago, but my initial thought was that they were broken and I needed to buy a new pair. Then I found that lots of people on the net had the same problem.

Hi Anton Klink,

I'm using Windows 7 with Geforce 8400GS and would like to know if it is possible to use the Elsa glasses with the new Windows Vista/7 drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/legacy_stereo_3d_drivers.html) that still exists for the Zalman Trimon 3D displays.

I think the Zalman Trimon 3D displays where supported by the old 91.31 drivers, so maybe this new drivers work with the Elsa glasses too.

Regards,

Michael

Posted 06/07/2010 11:48 PM   
[quote name='michael.santos' post='1069912' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:48 AM']Hi Anton Klink,

Regards,

Michael

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english :)[/quote]

i may be wrong but ELSA Revelator shutter glasses ( if you use the vga dongle) will not work on a graphic adapter newer than a 6k serie.
Nvidia dissabled the vga pins needed to get the synch pulse from the graphic adapter.

regards
Bigben
[quote name='michael.santos' post='1069912' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:48 AM']Hi Anton Klink,

Regards,

Michael

i may be wrong but ELSA Revelator shutter glasses ( if you use the vga dongle) will not work on a graphic adapter newer than a 6k serie.

Nvidia dissabled the vga pins needed to get the synch pulse from the graphic adapter.

regards

Bigben

Posted 06/09/2010 11:56 AM   
[quote name='bigben' post='1070703' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:56 PM']i may be wrong but ELSA Revelator shutter glasses ( if you use the vga dongle) will not work on a graphic adapter newer than a 6k serie.

regards
Bigben[/quote]

Hi, i've read on another forum that some cards does not have the power pin (+5V) on the VGA connector, but this can be corrected by changing the connector to get the power from USB... I will look If I can find the link and post it here... But what I wold like to know is If it works with the new driver i posted...
[quote name='bigben' post='1070703' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:56 PM']i may be wrong but ELSA Revelator shutter glasses ( if you use the vga dongle) will not work on a graphic adapter newer than a 6k serie.

regards

Bigben

Hi, i've read on another forum that some cards does not have the power pin (+5V) on the VGA connector, but this can be corrected by changing the connector to get the power from USB... I will look If I can find the link and post it here... But what I wold like to know is If it works with the new driver i posted...

Posted 06/09/2010 12:34 PM   
[quote name='michael.santos' post='1070721' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:34 PM']Hi, i've read on another forum that some cards does not have the power pin (+5V) on the VGA connector, but this can be corrected by changing the connector to get the power from USB... I will look If I can find the link and post it here... But what I wold like to know is If it works with the new driver i posted...[/quote]

Ok... I've found the links :)

One does not exist anymore, but we can use "The Wayback Machine" to access it: [url="http://web.archive.org/web/20060323192031/www.nord-com.net/accot.schulz/Shutters/main_LCD.html"]http://web.archive.org/web/20060323192031/...s/main_LCD.html[/url]

And here [url="http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm"]http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm[/url] are some home made projects that control the shutter glasses using 3-in-1-VGA-pass-through controllers, that includes the ELSA shutter glasses.

The question is, if the new nvidia drivers work with the ELSA glasses we don't need to build home made controllers.

Regards,

Michael
[quote name='michael.santos' post='1070721' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:34 PM']Hi, i've read on another forum that some cards does not have the power pin (+5V) on the VGA connector, but this can be corrected by changing the connector to get the power from USB... I will look If I can find the link and post it here... But what I wold like to know is If it works with the new driver i posted...

Ok... I've found the links :)

One does not exist anymore, but we can use "The Wayback Machine" to access it: http://web.archive.org/web/20060323192031/...s/main_LCD.html

And here http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm are some home made projects that control the shutter glasses using 3-in-1-VGA-pass-through controllers, that includes the ELSA shutter glasses.

The question is, if the new nvidia drivers work with the ELSA glasses we don't need to build home made controllers.

Regards,

Michael

Posted 06/09/2010 11:11 PM   
About the only card and driver combinations I've ever been able to get Revelator glasses to work are:

GeForce FX5200 with Forceware 45.23 and Stereo 45.23, with a Viewsonic 19" CRT with an analog VGA plug and WinXPsp3 on a Pentium 4 machine.

Also, a GeForce2 with the 45.23, running Win98SP on an old Pentium 3.

Any full screen DirectX or OpenGL game runs great on both boxes with an occasional flicker. I'll try shutting the network connection to see if that eliminates the flicker.

All the new equipment looks great though. It would be nice if I could get all the old ELSA wireless glasses I have hanging around to work on the new gadgets.
About the only card and driver combinations I've ever been able to get Revelator glasses to work are:

GeForce FX5200 with Forceware 45.23 and Stereo 45.23, with a Viewsonic 19" CRT with an analog VGA plug and WinXPsp3 on a Pentium 4 machine.

Also, a GeForce2 with the 45.23, running Win98SP on an old Pentium 3.

Any full screen DirectX or OpenGL game runs great on both boxes with an occasional flicker. I'll try shutting the network connection to see if that eliminates the flicker.

All the new equipment looks great though. It would be nice if I could get all the old ELSA wireless glasses I have hanging around to work on the new gadgets.

Posted 07/10/2010 04:42 AM   
I remember an article that states that this flickering is caused by the standard VESA energy saving status signal that is present on all PC monitors. I Can't say that I have solved it by disabling the energy saving features in the operating system, but I strongly agree that the flickering is caused by that feedback signal.
It may be disabled thru the cmos setup, or may be by disabling the Vesa pin on the cable connectors.
I experienced the flicker on both mini d sub vga connector, or hdmi cable.
I remember an article that states that this flickering is caused by the standard VESA energy saving status signal that is present on all PC monitors. I Can't say that I have solved it by disabling the energy saving features in the operating system, but I strongly agree that the flickering is caused by that feedback signal.

It may be disabled thru the cmos setup, or may be by disabling the Vesa pin on the cable connectors.

I experienced the flicker on both mini d sub vga connector, or hdmi cable.

Posted 06/03/2011 04:53 PM   
Scroll To Top