Clean Driver Install
Hey guys just wondering what the best way is to install drivers i've noticed a few of you mention a clean driver install can anyone break that down for me, thanks guys :rolleyes:
Hey guys just wondering what the best way is to install drivers i've noticed a few of you mention a clean driver install can anyone break that down for me, thanks guys :rolleyes:

Where the Games At?!

Checkout my music here:

http://soundcloud.com/ninjabeets/tracks

Posted 03/18/2010 08:40 PM   
Sure no worries

A clean driver install means that you get rid of all associated nvidia driver files to ensure there is no crap left over that my interfere with your new driver.

1st up get the latest driver and save it somwhere,

then goto control panel add remove programs select nvidia drivers and right click, select remove display driver only,

another good idea is to uninstall phys-x as your new driver will have the latest pakage as part of it,

on re start go ito safe mode and run driver sweeper or a similar program and select nvidia driver and phys x, clean / remove what ever it says

restart again but this time ensure your machine cant acces the net so pull the ethernet cable or disable what ever you are connected to the net with ( this just stops windows trying to load a driver for your card/s)

run the driver exe, re start again and your all set

right click desk top goto nvcp and set your Sli phys-x and all that good stuff

thats about it

Rick
Sure no worries

A clean driver install means that you get rid of all associated nvidia driver files to ensure there is no crap left over that my interfere with your new driver.

then goto control panel add remove programs select nvidia drivers and right click, select remove display driver only,

another good idea is to uninstall phys-x as your new driver will have the latest pakage as part of it,

on re start go ito safe mode and run driver sweeper or a similar program and select nvidia driver and phys x, clean / remove what ever it says

restart again but this time ensure your machine cant acces the net so pull the ethernet cable or disable what ever you are connected to the net with ( this just stops windows trying to load a driver for your card/s)

thats about it

Rick

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel i7 980X @4.6 ghz 24/7 1.39v, 6 GB Dom GT CL7, Tri channel, EK'd Asus GTX 680 Sli , Displays : 3 X Hanns-G HG281D 2D Surround, Case, Xigmatek Elysium, Corsair AX 1200W, Win 7 64, 2 x Crucial C300 128gb 6gb/s SSDs Raid 0, 2 x 300 gig WD velociraptors Raid 0, 64 GB Crucial M4 non raid boot drive 6 g/bs, Asus Xonar DX2 Sound, Roccat Kave 5:1 Headset, Track IR Pro, Noctua and TFC Triebwewrk fans controled by Lamptron FC6 black and Zalman ZM-FC1Plus black, Roccat Isku K/B, Steelseries Sensei mouse, Logitech G27 wheel, Custom water cooling, EK FB RE3 full board block , Black Ice GTX 480 Extreme Quad, Black Ice GTX Extreme 360, both rads running TFC Triebwerk mid speeds, Dual loop 3 D5 pumps.

Posted 03/18/2010 09:32 PM   
[quote name='fmsam' post='1022258' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:32 PM']Sure no worries

thats about it

Rick[/quote]

thats alot of friggin stuff lol, but pretty much it ensures that my card is running nicely with the new driver, would you say it's a bog standard thing to do tho?
[quote name='fmsam' post='1022258' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:32 PM']Sure no worries

thats about it

Rick

thats alot of friggin stuff lol, but pretty much it ensures that my card is running nicely with the new driver, would you say it's a bog standard thing to do tho?

Where the Games At?!

Checkout my music here:

Posted 03/18/2010 10:23 PM   
Pulling the internet connection does not work. I don't think? WIN7 will still install drivers since they come with WIN7.
Pulling the internet connection does not work. I don't think? WIN7 will still install drivers since they come with WIN7.

Posted 03/18/2010 11:07 PM   
For what its worth, I've been working at NVIDIA for 10 years and I've never encountered a driver installation problem. My steps are the following:

1) Download/copy over newer driver
2) Disable UAC (Vista/Win7)
3) Uninstall NVIDIA Drivers in the Windows Control Panel
4) Reboot
5) Run the driver installation file you downloaded from NVIDIA.com
6) Reboot one last time once it is done
7) Re-enable UAC (if you prefer)
For what its worth, I've been working at NVIDIA for 10 years and I've never encountered a driver installation problem. My steps are the following:

1) Download/copy over newer driver

2) Disable UAC (Vista/Win7)

3) Uninstall NVIDIA Drivers in the Windows Control Panel

4) Reboot

5) Run the driver installation file you downloaded from NVIDIA.com

6) Reboot one last time once it is done

7) Re-enable UAC (if you prefer)

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 03/18/2010 11:39 PM   
well, thanks for the clarification there Manuel !
well, thanks for the clarification there Manuel !

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel i7 980X @4.6 ghz 24/7 1.39v, 6 GB Dom GT CL7, Tri channel, EK'd Asus GTX 680 Sli , Displays : 3 X Hanns-G HG281D 2D Surround, Case, Xigmatek Elysium, Corsair AX 1200W, Win 7 64, 2 x Crucial C300 128gb 6gb/s SSDs Raid 0, 2 x 300 gig WD velociraptors Raid 0, 64 GB Crucial M4 non raid boot drive 6 g/bs, Asus Xonar DX2 Sound, Roccat Kave 5:1 Headset, Track IR Pro, Noctua and TFC Triebwewrk fans controled by Lamptron FC6 black and Zalman ZM-FC1Plus black, Roccat Isku K/B, Steelseries Sensei mouse, Logitech G27 wheel, Custom water cooling, EK FB RE3 full board block , Black Ice GTX 480 Extreme Quad, Black Ice GTX Extreme 360, both rads running TFC Triebwerk mid speeds, Dual loop 3 D5 pumps.

Posted 03/18/2010 11:59 PM   
tekias, no mate , you dont have to do this every time , not at all, this is only done if you are having a known driver issue and its rare that happens.
tekias, no mate , you dont have to do this every time , not at all, this is only done if you are having a known driver issue and its rare that happens.

Posted 03/19/2010 12:02 AM   
Easiest method below.

D/L Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper below and install it.

[b][url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745"]Driver Cleaner Pro Download Link[/url][/b]

[b][url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29_d1655.html"]Driver Sweeper Download Link[/url][/b]

[quote]1) Uninstall your GPU drivers
2) Restart Computer
3) Enter Safe Mode..Tap F8 during Post
4) Once in Safe Mode> Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper > Select nVidia (not nForceChipset/For ATI select ATI, ATI CCC, ATI WMD)> start Cleaning
5) Do step 7 Twice with Driver Cleaner Pro - With Driver Sweeper do it once.
6) Restart Computer> Cancel out of New Found Hardware Wizard
7) Navigate to the Location of your Drivers and Install.[/quote]
Easiest method below.

D/L Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper below and install it.

Driver Cleaner Pro Download Link

Driver Sweeper Download Link

1) Uninstall your GPU drivers

2) Restart Computer

3) Enter Safe Mode..Tap F8 during Post

4) Once in Safe Mode> Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper > Select nVidia (not nForceChipset/For ATI select ATI, ATI CCC, ATI WMD)> start Cleaning

5) Do step 7 Twice with Driver Cleaner Pro - With Driver Sweeper do it once.

6) Restart Computer> Cancel out of New Found Hardware Wizard

7) Navigate to the Location of your Drivers and Install.

Intel Core i7 940 @ 3.8Ghz

ASUS P6TD Deluxe

12GB (6x2GB) G.Skill DDR3-1600Mhz

EVGA GTX 480 1536MB In SLI With/Accelero Xtreme Plus

Corsair AX1200W

2 x Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB RAID 0 /WD VelociRaptor 150GB

Prolimatech Megahalems W/Push & Pull

Corsair 650D

Sharp Aquos 40LE700UN LED 40" Widescreen 1080p

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Posted 03/19/2010 01:49 AM   
I agree that driver sweeper is a good idea. Sorry ManualG, but the driver packages do leave a lot of trash around even after uninstalling from the control panel.

Also see the screen cap below for how to disable windows auto driver install through gpedit.msc

one note also enable administrator override (the top one).
I agree that driver sweeper is a good idea. Sorry ManualG, but the driver packages do leave a lot of trash around even after uninstalling from the control panel.

Also see the screen cap below for how to disable windows auto driver install through gpedit.msc

one note also enable administrator override (the top one).

Posted 03/19/2010 01:55 AM   
Thanks guys i did the clean install and it worked amazingly well! my games are much quicker and my control panel is now listening to me lol, only thing i could'nt do was enter safe mode after i uninstalled the nvidia driver O.O it started up but then i had a no signal then the computer restarted normally, all the same i just installed the latest driver and been happy since, thankyou =)
Thanks guys i did the clean install and it worked amazingly well! my games are much quicker and my control panel is now listening to me lol, only thing i could'nt do was enter safe mode after i uninstalled the nvidia driver O.O it started up but then i had a no signal then the computer restarted normally, all the same i just installed the latest driver and been happy since, thankyou =)

Where the Games At?!

Checkout my music here:

Posted 03/22/2010 08:45 AM   
Scroll To Top