nVidia Control Panel will not open
When I try to open the nVidia Control Panel (specifically, because I want to enable SLI) my cursor changes for a split second to the waiting cursor (the new circle equivalent of the old rotating hourglass) and the nothing happens. The focus just switches back to whatever other window I had open, or to the desktop.

I have found solutions to this (and many more people who had this problem) from as far back as early 2007, with a variety of fixes. I am currently working with the video card manufacturer, but so far nothing has worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen times with the same driver, older driver, DriverSweeper, etc.

I am out of ideas, and I need some help.

I have a GTX260 (the other is waiting to be installed until I can use the Control Panel to enable SLI), running Windows 7.
When I try to open the nVidia Control Panel (specifically, because I want to enable SLI) my cursor changes for a split second to the waiting cursor (the new circle equivalent of the old rotating hourglass) and the nothing happens. The focus just switches back to whatever other window I had open, or to the desktop.

I have found solutions to this (and many more people who had this problem) from as far back as early 2007, with a variety of fixes. I am currently working with the video card manufacturer, but so far nothing has worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen times with the same driver, older driver, DriverSweeper, etc.

I have a GTX260 (the other is waiting to be installed until I can use the Control Panel to enable SLI), running Windows 7.

Posted 03/18/2010 12:11 AM   
[quote name='smithts86' post='1021611' date='Mar 17 2010, 07:11 PM']When I try to open the nVidia Control Panel (specifically, because I want to enable SLI) my cursor changes for a split second to the waiting cursor (the new circle equivalent of the old rotating hourglass) and the nothing happens. The focus just switches back to whatever other window I had open, or to the desktop.

I have a GTX260 (the other is waiting to be installed until I can use the Control Panel to enable SLI), running Windows 7.[/quote]

this happened to me as well i reinstalled the drive and the control panel came back. I think it has something to do with removing the drivers and windows 7 automatically installing the default vga adapter when you uninstall the driver you should have see windows detected the vga adapter i think this interfered with the install. just install over the driver again.

FYI form Nvidias Site

FYI

Source

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/drivers_faq.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/drivers_faq.html[/url]

Help Installing Drivers:

Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?
A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to over install the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.
[quote name='smithts86' post='1021611' date='Mar 17 2010, 07:11 PM']When I try to open the nVidia Control Panel (specifically, because I want to enable SLI) my cursor changes for a split second to the waiting cursor (the new circle equivalent of the old rotating hourglass) and the nothing happens. The focus just switches back to whatever other window I had open, or to the desktop.

this happened to me as well i reinstalled the drive and the control panel came back. I think it has something to do with removing the drivers and windows 7 automatically installing the default vga adapter when you uninstall the driver you should have see windows detected the vga adapter i think this interfered with the install. just install over the driver again.

FYI form Nvidias Site

FYI

Source

http://www.nvidia.com/object/drivers_faq.html

Help Installing Drivers:

Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?

A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to over install the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.

Posted 03/18/2010 05:10 AM   
You don't uninstall the win 7 vga drivers just double click on the nvidia EXE that you download and it will extract the driver to your C:\ drive and install the drivers, then after the install go into your C:\ drive and if you wish delete the nvidia folder, or leave it want hurt a thing..I don't understand how hard this can be, it is so very simple, self made install as they say on TV---even a caveman can do it LOL.........CHEERS
You don't uninstall the win 7 vga drivers just double click on the nvidia EXE that you download and it will extract the driver to your C:\ drive and install the drivers, then after the install go into your C:\ drive and if you wish delete the nvidia folder, or leave it want hurt a thing..I don't understand how hard this can be, it is so very simple, self made install as they say on TV---even a caveman can do it LOL.........CHEERS

Posted 03/18/2010 06:25 AM   
I have reinstalled the drivers. I know you don't normally have to uninstall them, but reinstalling the drivers doesn't fix the problem. I do know how to install drivers...that's not the problem. Everything works without a problem; the drivers are working. The problem is that I can't open the nVidia Control Panel. I can navigate to the Control Panel .exe (nvcplui.exe), but even running that just gives the momentary waiting cursor and then nothing.
I have reinstalled the drivers. I know you don't normally have to uninstall them, but reinstalling the drivers doesn't fix the problem. I do know how to install drivers...that's not the problem. Everything works without a problem; the drivers are working. The problem is that I can't open the nVidia Control Panel. I can navigate to the Control Panel .exe (nvcplui.exe), but even running that just gives the momentary waiting cursor and then nothing.

Posted 03/18/2010 10:47 AM   
Seems that you have a registery problem that is not working, something caused the path to not work with the control panel register..try and do a restore at least to a point where it worked or if it nver worked try a window repair of your system to correct the registery problem..........CHEERS

BTW: I suggest you keep a backup of your registery or a clone of your Harddrive ( hell but a 300gig HD for $50 bucks and well worth it for a backup drive (once you clone it take it out of your computer ot unplug it ) once you get everthing working normal, then when you have a probelm just do a clean install with the clone backup, I use it all the time and works great. I use WD drives and there cloneing software program works great.
Seems that you have a registery problem that is not working, something caused the path to not work with the control panel register..try and do a restore at least to a point where it worked or if it nver worked try a window repair of your system to correct the registery problem..........CHEERS

BTW: I suggest you keep a backup of your registery or a clone of your Harddrive ( hell but a 300gig HD for $50 bucks and well worth it for a backup drive (once you clone it take it out of your computer ot unplug it ) once you get everthing working normal, then when you have a probelm just do a clean install with the clone backup, I use it all the time and works great. I use WD drives and there cloneing software program works great.

Posted 03/18/2010 08:27 PM   
[quote name='SHARKMEAT' post='1022202' date='Mar 18 2010, 04:27 PM']Seems that you have a registery problem that is not working, something caused the path to not work with the control panel register..try and do a restore at least to a point where it worked or if it nver worked try a window repair of your system to correct the registery problem..........CHEERS

BTW: I suggest you keep a backup of your registery or a clone of your Harddrive ( hell but a 300gig HD for $50 bucks and well worth it for a backup drive (once you clone it take it out of your computer ot unplug it ) once you get everthing working normal, then when you have a probelm just do a clean install with the clone backup, I use it all the time and works great. I use WD drives and there cloneing software program works great.[/quote]

I was actually planning to make an image of my HD...as soon as I had SLI working, so I could reset to that configurations. But nVidia Control Panel has never worked since I started. I'm going to try a full reformat and hope for the best.
[quote name='SHARKMEAT' post='1022202' date='Mar 18 2010, 04:27 PM']Seems that you have a registery problem that is not working, something caused the path to not work with the control panel register..try and do a restore at least to a point where it worked or if it nver worked try a window repair of your system to correct the registery problem..........CHEERS

I was actually planning to make an image of my HD...as soon as I had SLI working, so I could reset to that configurations. But nVidia Control Panel has never worked since I started. I'm going to try a full reformat and hope for the best.

Posted 03/18/2010 08:37 PM   
[quote name='smithts86' post='1022212' date='Mar 18 2010, 04:37 PM']I was actually planning to make an image of my HD...as soon as I had SLI working, so I could reset to that configurations. But nVidia Control Panel has never worked since I started. I'm going to try a full reformat and hope for the best.[/quote]
It will work after a reinstall of windows...cheers
BTW: I would install your second video card and and any other hardware and let win 7 pick it up, and reboot then put in your Video drivers.
[quote name='smithts86' post='1022212' date='Mar 18 2010, 04:37 PM']I was actually planning to make an image of my HD...as soon as I had SLI working, so I could reset to that configurations. But nVidia Control Panel has never worked since I started. I'm going to try a full reformat and hope for the best.

It will work after a reinstall of windows...cheers

BTW: I would install your second video card and and any other hardware and let win 7 pick it up, and reboot then put in your Video drivers.

Posted 03/18/2010 09:51 PM   
Scroll To Top