Nvidia GeForce 210 overheating The fan is not spinning
I recently bought a new graphics card for my PC because the initial card's fan in my PC was making a horrible sound. Now I've been having problems while playing Maplestory, a simple game that does not require much to be played. When I play fullscreen for 15 min, my monitor shuts down and a message saying Monitor going to sleep appears. The only way to get out of that is restarting the computer. After searching the net, I came with the conclusion that the card is overheating. I shut down the computer took a look at the card and confirmed that it's burning hot. I never found a solution to the problem and gave up. But today, it happened again and I opened the lid and realised that the fan on the card is not spinning. On my old card there was a 2 pin cable connecting my motherboard to that video card but on the new one there's not place to connect that cable so I left it hanging. Is this where the problem is? I put the installation cd in my pc and it does say that I have have to connect a cable to my card, but which one and how? I guess I just didn't connect it properly. Can I get some help here? There is absolutely nowhere to connect this cable. Though, there's a two pin cable on the card itself, it seems to connect the fan to the card. Do I take it out and place the hanging cable in there?

Thank you in advance.
Shib
I recently bought a new graphics card for my PC because the initial card's fan in my PC was making a horrible sound. Now I've been having problems while playing Maplestory, a simple game that does not require much to be played. When I play fullscreen for 15 min, my monitor shuts down and a message saying Monitor going to sleep appears. The only way to get out of that is restarting the computer. After searching the net, I came with the conclusion that the card is overheating. I shut down the computer took a look at the card and confirmed that it's burning hot. I never found a solution to the problem and gave up. But today, it happened again and I opened the lid and realised that the fan on the card is not spinning. On my old card there was a 2 pin cable connecting my motherboard to that video card but on the new one there's not place to connect that cable so I left it hanging. Is this where the problem is? I put the installation cd in my pc and it does say that I have have to connect a cable to my card, but which one and how? I guess I just didn't connect it properly. Can I get some help here? There is absolutely nowhere to connect this cable. Though, there's a two pin cable on the card itself, it seems to connect the fan to the card. Do I take it out and place the hanging cable in there?

Thank you in advance.

Shib

Posted 03/16/2010 02:28 PM   
Picture's would be nice.I am assuming the cable that is just hanging is maybe the spdif cable and that has nothing to do with the fan on the video card.The 210 should pull all of it's power from the pci-e slot so if the fan is'nt spinning it is time to rma the card.
Picture's would be nice.I am assuming the cable that is just hanging is maybe the spdif cable and that has nothing to do with the fan on the video card.The 210 should pull all of it's power from the pci-e slot so if the fan is'nt spinning it is time to rma the card.

Posted 03/16/2010 05:29 PM   
[quote name='Impatient' post='1020508' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:29 PM']Picture's would be nice.I am assuming the cable that is just hanging is maybe the spdif cable and that has nothing to do with the fan on the video card.The 210 should pull all of it's power from the pci-e slot so if the fan is'nt spinning it is time to rma the card.[/quote]

rma? can you explain what that is? the card is brand new. I took the card out and put it back and now the fan is spinning but it's still burning hot.
[quote name='Impatient' post='1020508' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:29 PM']Picture's would be nice.I am assuming the cable that is just hanging is maybe the spdif cable and that has nothing to do with the fan on the video card.The 210 should pull all of it's power from the pci-e slot so if the fan is'nt spinning it is time to rma the card.

rma? can you explain what that is? the card is brand new. I took the card out and put it back and now the fan is spinning but it's still burning hot.

Posted 03/17/2010 02:55 AM   
Use EVGA precision (it will work for any GPU) to monitor your temps on your GPU and you can manualy set the fan speed higher to lower temps.

And RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. That getting authorization from the company to have the warrantied GPU replaced.
Use EVGA precision (it will work for any GPU) to monitor your temps on your GPU and you can manualy set the fan speed higher to lower temps.

And RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. That getting authorization from the company to have the warrantied GPU replaced.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 03/17/2010 02:57 AM   
At no time should the fan not be spinning unless the system is shut off.RMA=check the warranty.How have you checked the temperature,i usualy use gpu-z or similar utility.
Normal temp should be 45c to 50c at idle with no load and max temp should be no more than 90c but preferably lower.
At no time should the fan not be spinning unless the system is shut off.RMA=check the warranty.How have you checked the temperature,i usualy use gpu-z or similar utility.

Normal temp should be 45c to 50c at idle with no load and max temp should be no more than 90c but preferably lower.

Posted 03/17/2010 03:07 AM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1020853' date='Mar 16 2010, 10:57 PM']Use EVGA precision (it will work for any GPU) to monitor your temps on your GPU and you can manualy set the fan speed higher to lower temps.

And RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. That getting authorization from the company to have the warrantied GPU replaced.[/quote]

Ok so I got EVGA precision and my temp is at 75c. I cant change the fan speed also, it's locked at the minimum. So now I need to find a way to change the fan's speed because it's not doing it's job properly.
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1020853' date='Mar 16 2010, 10:57 PM']Use EVGA precision (it will work for any GPU) to monitor your temps on your GPU and you can manualy set the fan speed higher to lower temps.

Ok so I got EVGA precision and my temp is at 75c. I cant change the fan speed also, it's locked at the minimum. So now I need to find a way to change the fan's speed because it's not doing it's job properly.

Posted 03/17/2010 03:47 AM   
Do you have driver version 196.21 installed.If so you will have to use Rivatuner to set the fan speed.
Do you have driver version 196.21 installed.If so you will have to use Rivatuner to set the fan speed.

Posted 03/17/2010 03:35 PM   
Scroll To Top