Can't enable SLI in Control Panel I just updated to 196.21
Hi,

I just updated my two 260 SLI cards to the 196.21 drivers. After updating, though, opening NVidia Control Panel reveals a completely new format and I can't enable SLI.

Does anyone have advice for the new menu system and how to use it?

Chris
Hi,

I just updated my two 260 SLI cards to the 196.21 drivers. After updating, though, opening NVidia Control Panel reveals a completely new format and I can't enable SLI.

Does anyone have advice for the new menu system and how to use it?

Chris

Posted 03/11/2010 11:47 PM   
Do you have it on Advanced Settings? If so, and Enable SLI still doesn't show up, try reinstalling the drivers.
Do you have it on Advanced Settings? If so, and Enable SLI still doesn't show up, try reinstalling the drivers.

[indent]Image

[/indent]
Core i7 920@3850MHz_Corsair H-50 Water Cooler_EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1_1xEVGA GTX480 @825.1650.2000_3x2Gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20-1T

2x74Gb WD Raptor/RAID0-Windows7 _1x250Gb Seagate 7200.10_Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200w Modular PSU_Coolermaster Cosmos S

Vantage-22876, w/Physx-25636--3DMark06-24844

Posted 03/12/2010 12:00 AM   
Not sure what can be causing this problem. It's odd, honestly because I had the exact same problem when I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) the first time and tried enabling my SLI technology. You can read about the frustrations I had in [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=162108"]this thread[/url].

However, since then, I have installed Windows XP Professional x64 bit to no avail. (The Microsoft Windows would fail each update except 2 or 3 at a time) and I finally got fed up with that. I didn't want to go back to Windows XP x32 bit so I broke down and said I'd deal with Windows 7 without SLI.

After reading a couple of posts here since my previous thread I figured what the hell, might as well try it again. 20 minutes ago from this post, I shut down my rig, put in my 2nd 9800GT, placed the bridge, and started her up. The machine recognized the new hardware, installed it successfully, and refreshed the monitor.

Now according to my Device Manager, my driver version for my cards is "8.17.11.9621" -- Thinking logically here I'm guessing this is the same version due to the digits of "196.21", given via NVIDIA's website. Going off previous experiences, I restarted the machine with SLI enabled expecting a BSOD. Guess what. I got what I expected. So when the rig automatically restarted I got the message generic message of "Windows failed to shut down properly" and was given a choice to either attempt a repair on Windows or just start it normally. I chose to start normally. Surprisingly it loaded right up, with SLI enabled.

================

I tell you this drawn out story because frankly I'm stumped. I did the exact same thing, twice in a row, and got two totally different outcomes. Multiple people are having issues with SLI while others, obviously are not. All I have to ask.... wtf is goin on here lmao.... can someone make sense of this all?
Not sure what can be causing this problem. It's odd, honestly because I had the exact same problem when I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) the first time and tried enabling my SLI technology. You can read about the frustrations I had in this thread.

However, since then, I have installed Windows XP Professional x64 bit to no avail. (The Microsoft Windows would fail each update except 2 or 3 at a time) and I finally got fed up with that. I didn't want to go back to Windows XP x32 bit so I broke down and said I'd deal with Windows 7 without SLI.

After reading a couple of posts here since my previous thread I figured what the hell, might as well try it again. 20 minutes ago from this post, I shut down my rig, put in my 2nd 9800GT, placed the bridge, and started her up. The machine recognized the new hardware, installed it successfully, and refreshed the monitor.

Now according to my Device Manager, my driver version for my cards is "8.17.11.9621" -- Thinking logically here I'm guessing this is the same version due to the digits of "196.21", given via NVIDIA's website. Going off previous experiences, I restarted the machine with SLI enabled expecting a BSOD. Guess what. I got what I expected. So when the rig automatically restarted I got the message generic message of "Windows failed to shut down properly" and was given a choice to either attempt a repair on Windows or just start it normally. I chose to start normally. Surprisingly it loaded right up, with SLI enabled.

================

I tell you this drawn out story because frankly I'm stumped. I did the exact same thing, twice in a row, and got two totally different outcomes. Multiple people are having issues with SLI while others, obviously are not. All I have to ask.... wtf is goin on here lmao.... can someone make sense of this all?

Thermaltake Armor+MX Midtower ATX Case || Asus Sabertooth 55i Intel P55 ATX Mobo || Thermaltake Toughpower 800W ATX 12V PSU || Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz CPU

4GB Corsair Dominator-GT DDR3 2000 (2 x 2GB) || 2 EVGA 1GB 256-Bit 9800GT PCI-E 2.0 x16 GPU SLI || Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB HDD || 2 ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner

Posted 03/12/2010 04:42 AM   
I had the same problem when updating, my fix was using driver sweeper to clear out all of the NVIDIA and PHYSX drivers, restarting and installing the new drivers, worked for me.
I had the same problem when updating, my fix was using driver sweeper to clear out all of the NVIDIA and PHYSX drivers, restarting and installing the new drivers, worked for me.

XFX 790i ULTRA Motherboard
C2Q Q6700 @ 3.4
Noctua NH-U12P cooler single fan.
2 gigs Patriot PC3-16000
EVGA GTX 480
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
Coolermaster HAF-932 case

Posted 03/12/2010 08:07 PM   
[quote name='Sajakain' post='1017956' date='Mar 12 2010, 04:42 AM']Not sure what can be causing this problem. It's odd, honestly because I had the exact same problem when I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) the first time and tried enabling my SLI technology. You can read about the frustrations I had in [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=162108"]this thread[/url].

================

I tell you this drawn out story because frankly I'm stumped. I did the exact same thing, twice in a row, and got two totally different outcomes. Multiple people are having issues with SLI while others, obviously are not. All I have to ask.... wtf is goin on here lmao.... can someone make sense of this all?[/quote]

This is what I've been fighting with for the last couple of days.
I've tried the 192.61 and 196.34 drivers. Both have had SLi not show up until a random number of restarts later to be followed by BSOD at the next startup which has only been fixed by uninstalling the drivers and running driver sweeper in safe mode.

I have:
Win7 x64
EVGA x58 SLi mobo
i7 920 @ 3.0GHz
6GB DDR3 PC3 16000
Raid 0: 2 x 250 GB 7,200 RPM HDD
Dual GTX260s

What gives?
[quote name='Sajakain' post='1017956' date='Mar 12 2010, 04:42 AM']Not sure what can be causing this problem. It's odd, honestly because I had the exact same problem when I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) the first time and tried enabling my SLI technology. You can read about the frustrations I had in this thread.

================

This is what I've been fighting with for the last couple of days.

I've tried the 192.61 and 196.34 drivers. Both have had SLi not show up until a random number of restarts later to be followed by BSOD at the next startup which has only been fixed by uninstalling the drivers and running driver sweeper in safe mode.

I have:

Win7 x64

EVGA x58 SLi mobo

i7 920 @ 3.0GHz

6GB DDR3 PC3 16000

Raid 0: 2 x 250 GB 7,200 RPM HDD

Dual GTX260s

What gives?

Posted 03/14/2010 12:42 AM   
I'm also having this problem. My SLI worked until I had to reinstall Windows 7 a while back, but now there's no option. I just updated to the beta 197.13 drivers, but no luck here. I've checked under the NVidia system information link in the NVidia Control Panel, and it shows 2 identical cards both using the correct NVIDIA drivers. EDIT: Also, nHancer says in the SLI tab: SLI setup detected. SLI disabled.

Is there any motherboard setting for SLI with the EVGA x58? I can't find it anywhere in the BIOS.

Configuration:
Win7 x64
EVGA x58 SLI <-- BIOS version 48
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
6 GB DDR 1333 MHz
Dual GTX 285s
I'm also having this problem. My SLI worked until I had to reinstall Windows 7 a while back, but now there's no option. I just updated to the beta 197.13 drivers, but no luck here. I've checked under the NVidia system information link in the NVidia Control Panel, and it shows 2 identical cards both using the correct NVIDIA drivers. EDIT: Also, nHancer says in the SLI tab: SLI setup detected. SLI disabled.

Is there any motherboard setting for SLI with the EVGA x58? I can't find it anywhere in the BIOS.

Configuration:

Win7 x64

EVGA x58 SLI <-- BIOS version 48

i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz

6 GB DDR 1333 MHz

Dual GTX 285s

Posted 03/18/2010 04:28 AM   
[quote name='danno428cj' post='1018276' date='Mar 12 2010, 03:07 PM']I had the same problem when updating, my fix was using driver sweeper to clear out all of the NVIDIA and PHYSX drivers, restarting and installing the new drivers, worked for me.[/quote]

Hey danno,

that's what I've had to do too. I wound up nuking every nvidia file I could find; I finally got the control panel back the way it was supposed to be.

Thanks for the advice.
[quote name='danno428cj' post='1018276' date='Mar 12 2010, 03:07 PM']I had the same problem when updating, my fix was using driver sweeper to clear out all of the NVIDIA and PHYSX drivers, restarting and installing the new drivers, worked for me.

Hey danno,

that's what I've had to do too. I wound up nuking every nvidia file I could find; I finally got the control panel back the way it was supposed to be.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted 03/29/2010 01:42 AM   
About 90% of the time its 1 pesky driver that doesn't get deleted. Sometimes it can cause a world of trouble.
About 90% of the time its 1 pesky driver that doesn't get deleted. Sometimes it can cause a world of trouble.

XFX 790i ULTRA Motherboard
C2Q Q6700 @ 3.4
Noctua NH-U12P cooler single fan.
2 gigs Patriot PC3-16000
EVGA GTX 480
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
Coolermaster HAF-932 case

Posted 03/30/2010 01:59 PM   
Just a suggestion, off my experience recently. If your MOBO is using a Realtek Ethernet adapter, try rolling back the Realtek Ethernet driver to revision 7.003. I know this sounds stupid... no way the driver is related. My experience recently... I have found similar described issues, which I resolved with said Realtek driver rollback.

Story in short is that I have seen the same similar trouble... NO SLI option in the latest nVidia Driver sets on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. This includes the following GeForce Driver revisions... 197.13, 196.21, 195.62, 195.55. Hardware being used... ASUS P6T (x58) BIOS revisons 0801 and 1303... CPU's i7-965, i7-920, i7-930... Graphic Cards 2-N250GTS, 2-N260GTX, 2-9800GT. I found while I had the latest realtek driver 7.017 (7.17) released 03/04/2010 no matter what, I could not enable SLI. In fact it would never appear, or only appear immediatly after the nVidia drivers where installed. After reboot... the nVidia Control Panel would never show the SLI enable option. Rolled back the Realtek driver to 7.003 release 5/22/2009 and low and behold... I have SLI enable options. I also found the Windows 7 x64 "inbox" drivers will unlock or allow for the SLI option to appear. So worst case, just uninstall the Ethernet adapter and Drivers via your device manager. Let Windows 7 x64 redetect using it's own Microsoft drivers. Restart your machine, and see if SLI option appears.

Please note Windows 7 Automatic updates will offer Realtek drivers also, as an optional update. Although I havenot yet tested... i would assume this could lead to a similar issue.

I hope this helps...
Enjoy.
Just a suggestion, off my experience recently. If your MOBO is using a Realtek Ethernet adapter, try rolling back the Realtek Ethernet driver to revision 7.003. I know this sounds stupid... no way the driver is related. My experience recently... I have found similar described issues, which I resolved with said Realtek driver rollback.

Story in short is that I have seen the same similar trouble... NO SLI option in the latest nVidia Driver sets on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. This includes the following GeForce Driver revisions... 197.13, 196.21, 195.62, 195.55. Hardware being used... ASUS P6T (x58) BIOS revisons 0801 and 1303... CPU's i7-965, i7-920, i7-930... Graphic Cards 2-N250GTS, 2-N260GTX, 2-9800GT. I found while I had the latest realtek driver 7.017 (7.17) released 03/04/2010 no matter what, I could not enable SLI. In fact it would never appear, or only appear immediatly after the nVidia drivers where installed. After reboot... the nVidia Control Panel would never show the SLI enable option. Rolled back the Realtek driver to 7.003 release 5/22/2009 and low and behold... I have SLI enable options. I also found the Windows 7 x64 "inbox" drivers will unlock or allow for the SLI option to appear. So worst case, just uninstall the Ethernet adapter and Drivers via your device manager. Let Windows 7 x64 redetect using it's own Microsoft drivers. Restart your machine, and see if SLI option appears.

Please note Windows 7 Automatic updates will offer Realtek drivers also, as an optional update. Although I havenot yet tested... i would assume this could lead to a similar issue.

I hope this helps...

Enjoy.

Posted 04/09/2010 02:08 AM   
[quote name='Tech-E4' post='1036590' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:08 PM']Just a suggestion, off my experience recently. If your MOBO is using a Realtek Ethernet adapter, try rolling back the Realtek Ethernet driver to revision 7.003. I know this sounds stupid... no way the driver is related. My experience recently... I have found similar described issues, which I resolved with said Realtek driver rollback.[/quote]

Possibly the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard...

And yet it worked for me too. Appreciate the post as I'm sure I never would have tried this and have no idea how you figured it out.

Using an ASUS P6T which has Realtek onboard network adapters. Trying to SLI my two GTX 480s and was having no luck. Now, I was using my old 9800 GTX+ on the same machine while I was waiting for the GTX 480s to come in stock, so I assumed it was a driver issue (not a Realtek one though...) from having used multiple video cards on the same Windows installation.

While it sounds ridiculous, I suggest trying it if you're in the same scenario.
[quote name='Tech-E4' post='1036590' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:08 PM']Just a suggestion, off my experience recently. If your MOBO is using a Realtek Ethernet adapter, try rolling back the Realtek Ethernet driver to revision 7.003. I know this sounds stupid... no way the driver is related. My experience recently... I have found similar described issues, which I resolved with said Realtek driver rollback.

Possibly the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard...

And yet it worked for me too. Appreciate the post as I'm sure I never would have tried this and have no idea how you figured it out.

Using an ASUS P6T which has Realtek onboard network adapters. Trying to SLI my two GTX 480s and was having no luck. Now, I was using my old 9800 GTX+ on the same machine while I was waiting for the GTX 480s to come in stock, so I assumed it was a driver issue (not a Realtek one though...) from having used multiple video cards on the same Windows installation.

Posted 05/06/2010 10:35 PM   
[quote name='Bongoojingie' post='1051600' date='May 6 2010, 03:35 PM']Possibly the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard...

While it sounds ridiculous, I suggest trying it if you're in the same scenario.[/quote]

LOL me too!! thank you for the great help!!
[quote name='Bongoojingie' post='1051600' date='May 6 2010, 03:35 PM']Possibly the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard...

LOL me too!! thank you for the great help!!

Posted 05/07/2010 08:53 PM   
Yeah well I got 2 internal ethernet cards and when I uninstall them and search for changes in hardware it tells me that I got one uninstalled ethernet card and one unknown SLI bridge device, and after that it works the new Windows 7 Magic and reinstalls the drivers I just uninstalled and doesn't even give me chance to interrupt this highly annoying feature of male cows outcome of emptying bowel. I just can't stand the amount of crap they throw at me. I got freaking solutions here but I can't proceed with them with ways that are humanly doable because I have to boot to some freaking safemode and still I have to shut the automatical driver installs from task manager fast enough for the drivers not to install. This is freaking ridiculous. I'm disgusted by the lack of effort in this industry for not doing one single step forward in terms of compatibility. All people focus are just new toys and if your shiny and fast, but slightly oldish model isn't working right the only solution is spend freaking MORE money into the devils pocket that turned you off in the first place. Dumb enough to do so? Why am I not surpriced. If you weren't they'd fix some stuff. I sure as hell am not gonna spend another buck for gaming in a while.

I tell you dudes, go out for a picking, I don't give a damn if it's raining out there it's better than reinstalling your drivers 24/7 just to notice your SLI flickers so much it's unplayable. People are just dumb enough to be taken advantage of.

I guess thats the problem right there, my games are working perfect on my setup. I'm not producing money for the people responsible. So what next? Well, make my setup not work. Oh, it sounds like a conspiracy theory? Well go ahead and make the geezers a little bit more rich then.

The best way to avoid this is to get good enough job to buy a new computer every time you get a glitch. Propably gonna be once a week so I encourage you to pre-orded the upcoming models, only costs few bucks extra.

P.S. my setup worked perfect until a month ago or so.
Yeah well I got 2 internal ethernet cards and when I uninstall them and search for changes in hardware it tells me that I got one uninstalled ethernet card and one unknown SLI bridge device, and after that it works the new Windows 7 Magic and reinstalls the drivers I just uninstalled and doesn't even give me chance to interrupt this highly annoying feature of male cows outcome of emptying bowel. I just can't stand the amount of crap they throw at me. I got freaking solutions here but I can't proceed with them with ways that are humanly doable because I have to boot to some freaking safemode and still I have to shut the automatical driver installs from task manager fast enough for the drivers not to install. This is freaking ridiculous. I'm disgusted by the lack of effort in this industry for not doing one single step forward in terms of compatibility. All people focus are just new toys and if your shiny and fast, but slightly oldish model isn't working right the only solution is spend freaking MORE money into the devils pocket that turned you off in the first place. Dumb enough to do so? Why am I not surpriced. If you weren't they'd fix some stuff. I sure as hell am not gonna spend another buck for gaming in a while.

I tell you dudes, go out for a picking, I don't give a damn if it's raining out there it's better than reinstalling your drivers 24/7 just to notice your SLI flickers so much it's unplayable. People are just dumb enough to be taken advantage of.

I guess thats the problem right there, my games are working perfect on my setup. I'm not producing money for the people responsible. So what next? Well, make my setup not work. Oh, it sounds like a conspiracy theory? Well go ahead and make the geezers a little bit more rich then.

The best way to avoid this is to get good enough job to buy a new computer every time you get a glitch. Propably gonna be once a week so I encourage you to pre-orded the upcoming models, only costs few bucks extra.

P.S. my setup worked perfect until a month ago or so.

Posted 05/10/2010 10:20 PM   
Scroll To Top