BFG GeForce 9600 GT OCX Major overheating Problems Not due to the driver update, this is totally dif
  1 / 3    
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM Kingston
PSU: Thermaltake 500W Truepower PSU
GSU: BFG Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT OCX (out of the box overclocked) 512mb

I am having some major overheating problems, or if not, I have no idea what. My temperatures go up to 57-60 Celcius on my GSU when I have my GSU fan at 35% speed. For some reason this card overheats at 50 Celcius or higher. Even with EVGA Precision, i've turned up my fan to 100%, and I have a table fan blowing in the open case. Even with this, when I am playing games like Team Fortress 2 on reccommended specs* it still hit 50 degrees and send my FPS from 160 to about 10 or less. Sometimes, it crashes my PC and my sound loops.

If this isn't an overheating issue, then I am completely lost, I have my case open, a fan blowing in it, and all my fans on 100%, the 9600GT requires a minimum 450W power supply, mine is 500W, why is it overheating? I see no reason for it. I've done a ton of reading and I see people with similar problems but NO solution. I don't have the warranty on this and it's a good card it just overheats WAY WAY WAY too easy. Someone please help me im down to my wits end.
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM Kingston

PSU: Thermaltake 500W Truepower PSU

GSU: BFG Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT OCX (out of the box overclocked) 512mb

I am having some major overheating problems, or if not, I have no idea what. My temperatures go up to 57-60 Celcius on my GSU when I have my GSU fan at 35% speed. For some reason this card overheats at 50 Celcius or higher. Even with EVGA Precision, i've turned up my fan to 100%, and I have a table fan blowing in the open case. Even with this, when I am playing games like Team Fortress 2 on reccommended specs* it still hit 50 degrees and send my FPS from 160 to about 10 or less. Sometimes, it crashes my PC and my sound loops.

If this isn't an overheating issue, then I am completely lost, I have my case open, a fan blowing in it, and all my fans on 100%, the 9600GT requires a minimum 450W power supply, mine is 500W, why is it overheating? I see no reason for it. I've done a ton of reading and I see people with similar problems but NO solution. I don't have the warranty on this and it's a good card it just overheats WAY WAY WAY too easy. Someone please help me im down to my wits end.

Posted 03/07/2010 10:47 AM   
50C is not hot for a graphics card - its actually the expected idle temp of the card.

nvidia cards have a max temp of 105C (at which they may incur damage) - but generally, the card should not slow down unless it get into the 90s.

The 9600s DO have smaller fans on them, being a single slot design - you could try getting an after market fan for it or using EVGA precision to lower the clocks to their nvidia-defined defaults.
50C is not hot for a graphics card - its actually the expected idle temp of the card.

nvidia cards have a max temp of 105C (at which they may incur damage) - but generally, the card should not slow down unless it get into the 90s.

The 9600s DO have smaller fans on them, being a single slot design - you could try getting an after market fan for it or using EVGA precision to lower the clocks to their nvidia-defined defaults.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' post='1014615' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:57 AM']50C is not hot for a graphics card - its actually the expected idle temp of the card.

The 9600s DO have smaller fans on them, being a single slot design - you could try getting an after market fan for it or using EVGA precision to lower the clocks to their nvidia-defined defaults.[/quote]

I PROMISE you that this is not a fan issue. I can use precision to max it, and my table fan, and it can get as low as 43C. But every time it hits 50C+, I get massive FPS drops in any game. Between 5-15 FPS. It's unbearable. My computer is perfectly capable of handling the Graphics Card, my air circulation probably isn't very good, but with the side off, and the case open, there is no reason for it to act like an overheating card, even if it isn't overheating.

Still no clue why it would do this, i've done ENDLESS research.

Also, i've tried lowering the clocks, it doesn't lower it even 1 degree.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' post='1014615' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:57 AM']50C is not hot for a graphics card - its actually the expected idle temp of the card.

I PROMISE you that this is not a fan issue. I can use precision to max it, and my table fan, and it can get as low as 43C. But every time it hits 50C+, I get massive FPS drops in any game. Between 5-15 FPS. It's unbearable. My computer is perfectly capable of handling the Graphics Card, my air circulation probably isn't very good, but with the side off, and the case open, there is no reason for it to act like an overheating card, even if it isn't overheating.

Also, i've tried lowering the clocks, it doesn't lower it even 1 degree.

Posted 03/07/2010 11:01 AM   
[quote name='airkain' post='1014617' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:01 AM']I PROMISE you that this is not a fan issue. I can use precision to max it, and my table fan, and it can get as low as 43C. But every time it hits 50C+, I get massive FPS drops in any game. Between 5-15 FPS. It's unbearable. My computer is perfectly capable of handling the Graphics Card, my air circulation probably isn't very good, but with the side off, and the case open, there is no reason for it to act like an overheating card, even if it isn't overheating.

Still no clue why it would do this, i've done ENDLESS research.[/quote]

I should say, shortly after within the hour it goes above 50C, it drops in FPS. It acts like an overheating problem but it should not be doing this..
[quote name='airkain' post='1014617' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:01 AM']I PROMISE you that this is not a fan issue. I can use precision to max it, and my table fan, and it can get as low as 43C. But every time it hits 50C+, I get massive FPS drops in any game. Between 5-15 FPS. It's unbearable. My computer is perfectly capable of handling the Graphics Card, my air circulation probably isn't very good, but with the side off, and the case open, there is no reason for it to act like an overheating card, even if it isn't overheating.

I should say, shortly after within the hour it goes above 50C, it drops in FPS. It acts like an overheating problem but it should not be doing this..

Posted 03/07/2010 11:02 AM   
Try forcing Maximum Performance, instead of adaptive mode, in the nvidia control panel.

I think you may be having a problem with your card thinking it should use the 2D clocks instead...

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/wakles.jpg[/img]
Try forcing Maximum Performance, instead of adaptive mode, in the nvidia control panel.

I think you may be having a problem with your card thinking it should use the 2D clocks instead...

[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' post='1014623' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:08 AM']Try forcing Maximum Performance, instead of adaptive mode, in the nvidia control panel.

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/wakles.jpg[/img][/quote]

I will try this, but Im taking some screenshots of my GPU temps rising etc. to show you how drastic it is. It'll be up in a few mintues.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' post='1014623' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:08 AM']Try forcing Maximum Performance, instead of adaptive mode, in the nvidia control panel.

I will try this, but Im taking some screenshots of my GPU temps rising etc. to show you how drastic it is. It'll be up in a few mintues.

Posted 03/07/2010 11:12 AM   
[quote name='airkain' post='1014625' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:12 AM']I will try this, but Im taking some screenshots of my GPU temps rising etc. to show you how drastic it is. It'll be up in a few mintues.[/quote]
BEFORE-http://img192.imageshack.us/i/100percentgpucopy.gif/
AFTER-http://img297.imageshack.us/i/60degreescopy.gif/

It had climbed to 60 within 5 minutes, strangly, I didn't drop in FPS in-game, which leads me to believe it is a different problem, not with overheating, but with the card or something.

I couldn't see how it could be overheating in the first place, it was just the most logical problem to me. Any help on this is appreciated.
[quote name='airkain' post='1014625' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:12 AM']I will try this, but Im taking some screenshots of my GPU temps rising etc. to show you how drastic it is. It'll be up in a few mintues.

BEFORE-http://img192.imageshack.us/i/100percentgpucopy.gif/

AFTER-http://img297.imageshack.us/i/60degreescopy.gif/

It had climbed to 60 within 5 minutes, strangly, I didn't drop in FPS in-game, which leads me to believe it is a different problem, not with overheating, but with the card or something.

I couldn't see how it could be overheating in the first place, it was just the most logical problem to me. Any help on this is appreciated.

Posted 03/07/2010 11:33 AM   
Sorry double post.
Sorry double post.

Posted 03/07/2010 11:33 AM   
This is my GTX275 running Furmark

It goes from 43C to 80C in 119 seconds. Graphics cards heat up VERY fast.

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/am2rgz.jpg[/img]

Is the Max Performance change working out? You said you didn't downclock this time? Test it out a bit longer :)
This is my GTX275 running Furmark

It goes from 43C to 80C in 119 seconds. Graphics cards heat up VERY fast.

Is the Max Performance change working out? You said you didn't downclock this time? Test it out a bit longer :)
I don't have that option to force maximum performance.... this doesn't sound good :S.

It's missing JUST that one tab. Why?? :S

EDIT: I'll even screen shot it...

[url="http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3375/nooption.jpg"]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3375/nooption.jpg[/url]
I don't have that option to force maximum performance.... this doesn't sound good :S.

It's missing JUST that one tab. Why?? :S

EDIT: I'll even screen shot it...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3375/nooption.jpg

Posted 03/07/2010 11:42 AM   
196.21 , latest on Nvidia website, I just downloaded it.

Apparently there was a bad driver update and Nvidia rolled back to fix the problem.

EDIT: This has been doing this long before the last driver update, it's been doing this since like... September 09... and earlier probably.
196.21 , latest on Nvidia website, I just downloaded it.

Apparently there was a bad driver update and Nvidia rolled back to fix the problem.

EDIT: This has been doing this long before the last driver update, it's been doing this since like... September 09... and earlier probably.

Posted 03/07/2010 11:52 AM   
Yup, 196.75 fried a few cards.

Anywho, i dunno why you cant see that option, maybe its not supported on XP
Gahhhhhhhhhhh lol.

How does not even Nvidia staff not know the problem. Where is some assurance?
Gahhhhhhhhhhh lol.

How does not even Nvidia staff not know the problem. Where is some assurance?

Posted 03/07/2010 11:57 AM   
nVidia staff? where? lol

Uh, maybe your card doesn't support the profile... i'm not sure =/
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top