win7 driver problem nforce4 sata
good evening ;) ,

i have discovered that there are some problems with the win7 sata raid driver for nforce4 mobos. it's the same for the driver which is included in win7 and the last official downloadable nforce driver. the symptoms are a clicking noises and sound drop-outs during stressing hdd's for example by copying a large file. by using the dpc latency checker during a hdd stress test i've seen, that the latency exceeds 16 000 microseconds... usually the value ranges bewtween 10 and 150 microseconds.
i can exclude a hardware fail, as under windows xp everything is fine, but therefore the hdd performance is about 25% lower :P i also changed the soundcard and the -slot without success.
in my opinion the nvidia programmers have added some performance features in the win7/vista driver (e.g. ncq or something) which causes the problem.
as u can imagine i'm really pissed off cause i don't want to step back to this old windows xp crap =)) no..the problem is, that i'm playing directx 10 games, win7 looks "slightly" better and it goes me extremely on my nerves when i want to chill by hearing some music and this noises appears..no way.
so maybe someone of you have heard anything about such problems, the release of new drivers, have some coding skills to modify the driver or any other solution. it'll be great if someone could help me.

i attached a sample to give you a little look of what i am talking about.

last but not least^^.. my hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2x 1024 MB OCZ Platinum DDR400
2x Samsung HD322HJ
ATI Radeon 4830
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2
OCZ ModXtreme 500W

greetz, MurPHmaN
good evening ;) ,

i have discovered that there are some problems with the win7 sata raid driver for nforce4 mobos. it's the same for the driver which is included in win7 and the last official downloadable nforce driver. the symptoms are a clicking noises and sound drop-outs during stressing hdd's for example by copying a large file. by using the dpc latency checker during a hdd stress test i've seen, that the latency exceeds 16 000 microseconds... usually the value ranges bewtween 10 and 150 microseconds.

i can exclude a hardware fail, as under windows xp everything is fine, but therefore the hdd performance is about 25% lower :P i also changed the soundcard and the -slot without success.

in my opinion the nvidia programmers have added some performance features in the win7/vista driver (e.g. ncq or something) which causes the problem.

as u can imagine i'm really pissed off cause i don't want to step back to this old windows xp crap =)) no..the problem is, that i'm playing directx 10 games, win7 looks "slightly" better and it goes me extremely on my nerves when i want to chill by hearing some music and this noises appears..no way.

so maybe someone of you have heard anything about such problems, the release of new drivers, have some coding skills to modify the driver or any other solution. it'll be great if someone could help me.

i attached a sample to give you a little look of what i am talking about.

last but not least^^.. my hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

2x 1024 MB OCZ Platinum DDR400

2x Samsung HD322HJ

ATI Radeon 4830

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2

OCZ ModXtreme 500W

greetz, MurPHmaN
Attachments

sample.mp3

sample.mp3

Posted 03/04/2010 09:30 PM   
@ MurPHmaN:
Welcome at NVIDIA Forums!
Clicking noises are a sign of a dying hdd.
So I am not sure, that you really have an nForce SATA/RAID driver issue.
Questions:
1. Did you install Win7 onto an nForce RAID array?
2. If yes, how did you get Win7 installed at all?
3. Which nForce SATA driver version are you running now? (open the Device Manager, right click onto the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" > Properties" > "Driver")

Regards
Fernando
@ MurPHmaN:

Welcome at NVIDIA Forums!

Clicking noises are a sign of a dying hdd.

So I am not sure, that you really have an nForce SATA/RAID driver issue.

Questions:

1. Did you install Win7 onto an nForce RAID array?

2. If yes, how did you get Win7 installed at all?

3. Which nForce SATA driver version are you running now? (open the Device Manager, right click onto the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" > Properties" > "Driver")

Regards

Fernando

Posted 03/04/2010 09:47 PM   
thank you for the fast answer!

as i sad that the problems only appears while using [b]windows 7[/b] i am quite sure, that my hdd's are fine. furthermore the noise only come outside my speakers! take a listening sample ;)
1. i installed windows on a raid0 array
2. the installation is a long time ago, so i'm not really sure, how i made it.. i guess i've copied the sata drivers to a usb stick and installed them during the setup process
Driver Date: 18.08.2008
Driver Version: 10.3.0.42

a few days ago i installed this driver.. it's the last nforce driver, which can be downloaded on the nvidia site. there were also a newer one installed by windows update but due to the fact that i had also problems with the newer i tried the older one.
thank you for the fast answer!

as i sad that the problems only appears while using windows 7 i am quite sure, that my hdd's are fine. furthermore the noise only come outside my speakers! take a listening sample ;)

1. i installed windows on a raid0 array

2. the installation is a long time ago, so i'm not really sure, how i made it.. i guess i've copied the sata drivers to a usb stick and installed them during the setup process

Driver Date: 18.08.2008

Driver Version: 10.3.0.42

a few days ago i installed this driver.. it's the last nforce driver, which can be downloaded on the nvidia site. there were also a newer one installed by windows update but due to the fact that i had also problems with the newer i tried the older one.

Posted 03/04/2010 10:08 PM   
The best nForce SATA and RAID drivers for nForce4 chipsets are the v9.98 WHQL or - even better - the v9.99.09, but the latter has to be customized, because the nForce4 HardwareID's are missing within the original INF files.
For further informations you may look [url="http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/windows-7-nvraid-installation-guide-t72447.html"]>here<[/url].
The best nForce SATA and RAID drivers for nForce4 chipsets are the v9.98 WHQL or - even better - the v9.99.09, but the latter has to be customized, because the nForce4 HardwareID's are missing within the original INF files.

For further informations you may look >here<.

Posted 03/04/2010 10:32 PM   
nice reply /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />
so now i have to make a clean windows 7 install?!... i'll give it a try and make a test installation on a new partition.
i'm really excited if win7 will coop with the winxp driver ;)

thank you for the moment. I'll be back
nice reply /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />

so now i have to make a clean windows 7 install?!... i'll give it a try and make a test installation on a new partition.

thank you for the moment. I'll be back

Posted 03/04/2010 10:50 PM   
[quote name='MurPHmaN' post='1012647' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:50 PM']so now i have to make a clean windows 7 install?!... i'll give it a try and make a test installation on a new partition.[/quote]Alternatively you may try to do a manually "downgrade" of the nForce SATA and RAID driver version according the following method:[list]
[*]Open the "Device Manager", select "View" and check the "Show hidden devices" option.
[*]Search for devices named [u][i][color="darkblue"]"NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller"[/color][/i][/u] (within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" or "Storage Controllers" section) and update [u]ALL[/u] listed devices with the said name by loading the [size=100]SATA_IDE[/size] driver folder of your prepared new nForce driver package. DO NOT REBOOT!
[*]Open the "Storage Controllers" section and update [u]ALL[/u] listed [u][i][color="darkblue"]"NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller"[/color][/i][/u] devices and [u]ALL[/u] listed devices named [u][i][color="darkblue"]"NVIDIA RAID DEVICE"[/color][/i][/size][/u] by loading the [size=100]SATARAID[/size] driver folder of your prepared new nForce driver package. DO NOT REBOOT!
[*]Check the driver version of all previous mentioned devices to verify, that all of them have properly updated drivers.
[*]NOW YOU CAN REBOOT."
[/list]
[quote]i'm really excited if win7 will coop with the winxp driver ;)[/quote]You should not use XP drivers. The nForce IDE drivers v9.98 and v9.99.09 I have mentioned are Vista drivers.
These drivers are part of formerly released nForce chipset driver sets, which were designed for being used with Vista, but they are fully compatible with Win7.
To make it easier to find them, I have uploaded them separately. Here are the download links:[list]
[*][url="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnz32mmlwzm"]32bit Vista_Win7 nForce IDE drivers v9.98 WHQL[/url] (supporting nForce4 chipsets from scratch)
[*][url="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mkx4mdnmytt"]64bit Vista_Win7 nForce IDE drivers v9.98 WHQL[/url] (supporting nForce4 chipsets from scratch)
[*][url="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?czvzzzdnzwy"]32bit Vista_Win7 nForce IDE drivers v9.99.09 mod[/url] (customized for being usable with nForce4 and other NF4-7 chipsets)
[*][url="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?knomj5wjteg"]64bit Vista_Win7 nForce IDE drivers v9.99.09 mod[/url] (customized for being usable with nForce4 and other NF4-7 chipsets]
[/list]
Good luck!
Fernando
[quote name='MurPHmaN' post='1012647' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:50 PM']so now i have to make a clean windows 7 install?!... i'll give it a try and make a test installation on a new partition.Alternatively you may try to do a manually "downgrade" of the nForce SATA and RAID driver version according the following method:

• Open the "Device Manager", select "View" and check the "Show hidden devices" option.
  • Search for devices named "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" (within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" or "Storage Controllers" section) and update ALL listed devices with the said name by loading the SATA_IDE driver folder of your prepared new nForce driver package. DO NOT REBOOT!
  • Open the "Storage Controllers" section and update ALL listed "NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller" devices and ALL listed devices named "NVIDIA RAID DEVICE"[/size] by loading the SATARAID driver folder of your prepared new nForce driver package. DO NOT REBOOT!
  • Check the driver version of all previous mentioned devices to verify, that all of them have properly updated drivers.
  • NOW YOU CAN REBOOT."

You should not use XP drivers. The nForce IDE drivers v9.98 and v9.99.09 I have mentioned are Vista drivers.

These drivers are part of formerly released nForce chipset driver sets, which were designed for being used with Vista, but they are fully compatible with Win7.

To make it easier to find them, I have uploaded them separately. Here are the download links:

Good luck!

Fernando

Posted 03/05/2010 07:42 AM   
[quote name='Fernando' post='1012931' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:42 AM']You should not use XP drivers. The nForce IDE drivers v9.98 and v9.99.09 I have mentioned are Vista drivers.
These drivers are part of formerly released nForce chipset driver sets, which were designed for being used with Vista, but they are fully compatible with Win7.[/quote]

I have another problems with nForce4 SATA drivers for win7.
In my "Device Manager", I can't find "nVidia Serial ATA Controller" but "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".
The motherboard (ASUS A8N-E) drivers are too old to intall and I can't find new drivers for win7.
So all the sata hdd can't be accessed.

I want your nForce IDE drivers. But all the links are missed so that I can't open it. Can u mail them to me?

[b]hughman@gmail.com[/b]
thx.
Hughman

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT:[/color]
I have found nForce sata driver v9.98 and v9.99.9
After I installed it, in the device manager, "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" becomes "nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller".
But when I enable the sata hdd and reboot, the system will still crash, especially after opening explorer. The sata hdd can't be accessed.

ASUS A8N-E motherboard, nForce4-Ultra
AMD 939 64 3000+
Gabyte GV-G2100C-512 (new, if I install winxp, this card driver conficts with system-_-)
Kingston 512M*2
Seagate IDE 60G (system)
WD sataII enterprise 250G
SUMSUNG sata 200G
[quote name='Fernando' post='1012931' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:42 AM']You should not use XP drivers. The nForce IDE drivers v9.98 and v9.99.09 I have mentioned are Vista drivers.

I have another problems with nForce4 SATA drivers for win7.

In my "Device Manager", I can't find "nVidia Serial ATA Controller" but "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

The motherboard (ASUS A8N-E) drivers are too old to intall and I can't find new drivers for win7.

So all the sata hdd can't be accessed.

I want your nForce IDE drivers. But all the links are missed so that I can't open it. Can u mail them to me?

hughman@gmail.com

thx.

Hughman

EDIT:

I have found nForce sata driver v9.98 and v9.99.9

After I installed it, in the device manager, "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" becomes "nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller".

But when I enable the sata hdd and reboot, the system will still crash, especially after opening explorer. The sata hdd can't be accessed.

ASUS A8N-E motherboard, nForce4-Ultra

AMD 939 64 3000+

Gabyte GV-G2100C-512 (new, if I install winxp, this card driver conficts with system-_-)

Kingston 512M*2

Seagate IDE 60G (system)

WD sataII enterprise 250G

SUMSUNG sata 200G

Posted 03/27/2010 11:33 AM   
[quote name='hughman' post='1028092' date='Mar 27 2010, 12:33 PM']I want your nForce IDE drivers. But all the links are missed so that I can't open it. Can u mail them to me?[/quote]I just tested the links to the drivers. They are fine.
Just download and unzip the suitable ones (32bit or 64bit).

[quote]After I installed it, in the device manager, "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" becomes "nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller".
But when I enable the sata hdd and reboot, the system will still crash, especially after opening explorer. The sata hdd can't be accessed.[/quote]What do you mean with "when I enable SATA hdd"? What have you done? Where did you "enable" the hdd?
[quote name='hughman' post='1028092' date='Mar 27 2010, 12:33 PM']I want your nForce IDE drivers. But all the links are missed so that I can't open it. Can u mail them to me?I just tested the links to the drivers. They are fine.

Just download and unzip the suitable ones (32bit or 64bit).

What do you mean with "when I enable SATA hdd"? What have you done? Where did you "enable" the hdd?

Posted 03/27/2010 04:28 PM   
[quote]I just tested the links to the drivers. They are fine.[/quote]
maybe mediafire is blocked by our gfw :(. I am from china
I found it in nforcesqh again.

[quote name='Fernando' post='1028247' date='Mar 27 2010, 05:28 PM']What do you mean with "when I enable SATA hdd"? What have you done? Where did you "enable" the hdd?[/quote]

connet the data line to mb or not :) my box is always open

thanks for good job. but your drivers set seems no effect for me
the sata hdd can't be read or detect in win7.
I just tested the links to the drivers. They are fine.

maybe mediafire is blocked by our gfw :(. I am from china

I found it in nforcesqh again.

[quote name='Fernando' post='1028247' date='Mar 27 2010, 05:28 PM']What do you mean with "when I enable SATA hdd"? What have you done? Where did you "enable" the hdd?

connet the data line to mb or not :) my box is always open

thanks for good job. but your drivers set seems no effect for me

the sata hdd can't be read or detect in win7.

Posted 03/27/2010 05:09 PM   
Now I'm sure that it's caused by the confict between geforce 210 driver and sata.
It's not in relation to os. Since in winxp, if I have installed gf210 driver (190.55, or 196.xx, or the lastest 197.13 whql), it can't boot into desktop normally. While in Win7, the sata hdd can't be detected or access to.
Now I'm sure that it's caused by the confict between geforce 210 driver and sata.

It's not in relation to os. Since in winxp, if I have installed gf210 driver (190.55, or 196.xx, or the lastest 197.13 whql), it can't boot into desktop normally. While in Win7, the sata hdd can't be detected or access to.

Posted 03/28/2010 09:22 AM   
[quote name='hughman' post='1028265' date='Mar 27 2010, 06:09 PM'][quote name='Fernando']What do you mean with "when I enable SATA hdd"? What have you done? Where did you "enable" the hdd?[/quote]connet the data line to mb or not :) my box is always open[/quote]You are not able to install a driver properly, if the related hardware (in this case the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller") is not enabled and "in use".
[quote name='hughman' post='1028265' date='Mar 27 2010, 06:09 PM']
Fernando said:What do you mean with "when I enable SATA hdd"? What have you done? Where did you "enable" the hdd?
connet the data line to mb or not :) my box is always openYou are not able to install a driver properly, if the related hardware (in this case the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller") is not enabled and "in use".

Posted 03/28/2010 09:56 AM   
Just breezing over this thread.....

Try reinstalling the SATA driver again, now that the sata drives are enabled.
Just breezing over this thread.....

Try reinstalling the SATA driver again, now that the sata drives are enabled.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 03/28/2010 02:28 PM   
Scroll To Top