Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT - Screen Flickers/Flashes Need help.
So like the title says, my screen often flashes on my Acer Aspire 5920G
Now what i understand is that it must be the GPU, which is a Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT because it only happens when i install newer drivers.
The only driver that works normally is the one given by Acer, 7.15.11.7590 to be precise.

The newer driver that i installed was this one : 8.15.11.8664 And that one gives the flashing/flickering.
Also weird is that this never happened before with newer drivers, one year ago everything worked fine, no flashes, but now it happens allot with the newer drivers.

Info :
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5550 1,83 GHz.
15,4 WXGA Acer Crystalbite LCD
Up to 1280 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT TurboCache
4 GB DDR2
250GB HDD <-- Hitachi
Blu-Ray

And thats all, i also updated lately to the newer Bios, to see if that helped, not the slightest.

Please help. :unsure:
So like the title says, my screen often flashes on my Acer Aspire 5920G

Now what i understand is that it must be the GPU, which is a Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT because it only happens when i install newer drivers.

The only driver that works normally is the one given by Acer, 7.15.11.7590 to be precise.

The newer driver that i installed was this one : 8.15.11.8664 And that one gives the flashing/flickering.

Also weird is that this never happened before with newer drivers, one year ago everything worked fine, no flashes, but now it happens allot with the newer drivers.

Info :

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5550 1,83 GHz.

15,4 WXGA Acer Crystalbite LCD

Up to 1280 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT TurboCache

4 GB DDR2

250GB HDD <-- Hitachi

Blu-Ray

And thats all, i also updated lately to the newer Bios, to see if that helped, not the slightest.

Please help. :unsure:

Posted 03/03/2010 03:31 PM   
Also asked Nvidia about this a few months back, they said they would test it out after numerous questions. Never got a answer back since then.
So is this really to much to ask? Does nobody knows whats the problem? does the 8600M GT suffers poor quality? Overheating? Anything?
Also asked Nvidia about this a few months back, they said they would test it out after numerous questions. Never got a answer back since then.

So is this really to much to ask? Does nobody knows whats the problem? does the 8600M GT suffers poor quality? Overheating? Anything?

Posted 03/03/2010 05:02 PM   
Nobody?

:mellow:
Nobody?

:mellow:

Posted 03/03/2010 09:03 PM   
Should i post this somewhere else to get a answer?
Or does really nobody knows this?
Should i post this somewhere else to get a answer?

Or does really nobody knows this?

Posted 03/04/2010 08:27 AM   
It is usualy best to stick with the driver off the laptop manufacturer's webpage.If you require a newer one contact them and see what they recomend.
It is usualy best to stick with the driver off the laptop manufacturer's webpage.If you require a newer one contact them and see what they recomend.

Posted 03/04/2010 04:57 PM   
Alright, but how come that nobody knows the true answer? On what the problem is?
I mean even Nvidia didn't know, i'm still awaiting for a answer since 4 months ago after they told me they were going to "Test" it.

Also the driver is given trough the Device Manager, can i state by that that its a good / recommended driver?
Alright, but how come that nobody knows the true answer? On what the problem is?

I mean even Nvidia didn't know, i'm still awaiting for a answer since 4 months ago after they told me they were going to "Test" it.

Also the driver is given trough the Device Manager, can i state by that that its a good / recommended driver?

Posted 03/04/2010 06:47 PM   
[quote name='Jan-Sander' post='1012476' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:47 PM']Alright, but how come that nobody knows the true answer? On what the problem is?

Also the driver is given trough the Device Manager, can i state by that that its a good / recommended driver?[/quote]
qoute from a different topic:

You can run Nvgpu pro and disable powermizer, I use it also on my 5920G.
Nvpro

i'll try it know ...
[quote name='Jan-Sander' post='1012476' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:47 PM']Alright, but how come that nobody knows the true answer? On what the problem is?

qoute from a different topic:

You can run Nvgpu pro and disable powermizer, I use it also on my 5920G.

Nvpro

i'll try it know ...

Posted 03/13/2010 04:57 PM   
Few months later, still no fix.
Even the 250 driver didn't work, should i let my Laptop get fixed or just buy a new one. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
Few months later, still no fix.

Even the 250 driver didn't work, should i let my Laptop get fixed or just buy a new one. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Posted 07/15/2010 10:53 PM   
[quote name='Jan-Sander' post='1011535' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:31 AM']So like the title says, my screen often flashes on my Acer Aspire 5920G
The only driver that works normally is the one given by Acer, 7.15.11.7590 to be precise.[/quote]

You said that the driver from Acer works. You should just keep this one loaded on your computer at all times.
[quote name='Jan-Sander' post='1011535' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:31 AM']So like the title says, my screen often flashes on my Acer Aspire 5920G

You said that the driver from Acer works. You should just keep this one loaded on your computer at all times.

Posted 07/16/2010 07:57 PM   
[quote name='gregit' post='1089069' date='Jul 16 2010, 09:57 PM']You said that the driver from Acer works. You should just keep this one loaded on your computer at all times.[/quote]
But that one is really outdated, and it apears to be a problem on more laptops. Especcialy the 5920G.
[quote name='gregit' post='1089069' date='Jul 16 2010, 09:57 PM']You said that the driver from Acer works. You should just keep this one loaded on your computer at all times.

But that one is really outdated, and it apears to be a problem on more laptops. Especcialy the 5920G.

Posted 07/16/2010 08:31 PM   
[quote name='Jan-Sander' post='1089086' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:31 PM']But that one is really outdated, and it apears to be a problem on more laptops. Especcialy the 5920G.[/quote]
It's a issue caused by powermizer feature. Black flashes happen when GPU switches performance modes. Google how to disable it.
I failed on Linux /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> And I think nothing will really be fixed since you can find posts on ubuntu forums dated 2007. If you're card is replaceable you can try ATI. They don't seem to have such ineradicable bugs
[quote name='Jan-Sander' post='1089086' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:31 PM']But that one is really outdated, and it apears to be a problem on more laptops. Especcialy the 5920G.

It's a issue caused by powermizer feature. Black flashes happen when GPU switches performance modes. Google how to disable it.

I failed on Linux /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> And I think nothing will really be fixed since you can find posts on ubuntu forums dated 2007. If you're card is replaceable you can try ATI. They don't seem to have such ineradicable bugs

Posted 07/19/2010 09:45 AM   
I understand that the driver is outdated, however, it is more important that the driver is stable. I work in IT and for graphics drivers, I always load the drivers from the PC manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell). The drivers on Dell's web site are always older than what Nvidia has on their web site.

This is how technology works, we will always go with the stable option. It is the reason why 63% of computers are still running Windows XP even though there has been two brand new operating systems released (less than 30% are using Windows 7 and Windows Vista combined).

source: netmarketshare.com
I understand that the driver is outdated, however, it is more important that the driver is stable. I work in IT and for graphics drivers, I always load the drivers from the PC manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell). The drivers on Dell's web site are always older than what Nvidia has on their web site.

This is how technology works, we will always go with the stable option. It is the reason why 63% of computers are still running Windows XP even though there has been two brand new operating systems released (less than 30% are using Windows 7 and Windows Vista combined).

source: netmarketshare.com

Posted 07/20/2010 01:44 PM   
Most laptop builder's modify the the driver to fit the hardware and most don't release a new one unless they find that the old one is'nt compatible or
they have enough customer's complain.
Most newer driver's have more option's etc but they are not alway's better for older hardware.
Nvidia build's the driver's for their gpu's and pretty much know what they are doing but it does'nt mean it will play well together with all different hardware
combination's out there.
I prefer having a stable system even if it is an older driver as long as it does'nt give issue's with current game's.
As far as the new driver not playing nice with your system well i don't know the answer perhap's contact acer.
Most laptop builder's modify the the driver to fit the hardware and most don't release a new one unless they find that the old one is'nt compatible or

they have enough customer's complain.

Most newer driver's have more option's etc but they are not alway's better for older hardware.

Nvidia build's the driver's for their gpu's and pretty much know what they are doing but it does'nt mean it will play well together with all different hardware

combination's out there.

I prefer having a stable system even if it is an older driver as long as it does'nt give issue's with current game's.

As far as the new driver not playing nice with your system well i don't know the answer perhap's contact acer.

Posted 07/20/2010 03:28 PM   
Yeah, keep the outdated driver unless some game requires a new one. For example, my linux PC is running 173 driver. That's two (or more) major releases behind, but it works perfectly for me. Why bother? =)
Yeah, keep the outdated driver unless some game requires a new one. For example, my linux PC is running 173 driver. That's two (or more) major releases behind, but it works perfectly for me. Why bother? =)

Posted 07/20/2010 05:54 PM   
Scroll To Top