Nvidia driver crash "stopped responding and has succefully recoverd"
system: WIndows 7 Ultimate x64
card: GTX 275
Nvidia drivers crash randomly at all my 3D games except gta IV.
I also tried the beta drivers with no luck

Posted 03/02/2010 03:05 PM   
same issue with me...
the problem is caused 'cause of the TDR - timeout detection and recovery which only exists in vista and win7
but i still don't know how to solve it
there is a sticky thread in this forum about it which doesn't help at all the average person 'cause u need to be a computer mechanic to understand it properly

if u still have a warranty u should consider using it to fix it or changin' the video card to somethin' else (maybe ATI - the peoblem doesn't happen to them as much as it happens for nvidia)
same issue with me...

the problem is caused 'cause of the TDR - timeout detection and recovery which only exists in vista and win7

but i still don't know how to solve it

there is a sticky thread in this forum about it which doesn't help at all the average person 'cause u need to be a computer mechanic to understand it properly

if u still have a warranty u should consider using it to fix it or changin' the video card to somethin' else (maybe ATI - the peoblem doesn't happen to them as much as it happens for nvidia)

Posted 03/02/2010 04:14 PM   
If you can't understand the sticky at the top of this forum, then you're best taking your computer to a qualified technician for assistance. They'll likely just take a bunch of your money and not fix anything (the last part may only apply if they're part of the Geek Squad).

Most novices should be able to eliminate the most common causes of TDRs. You can check if your system is overheating with any of a dozen free utilities out there, there's even a free one from NVIDIA called NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support. Popping open your case and looking at the side of your PSU isn't hard, and it may not even require a screwdriver. Checking your RAM voltages and timing in BIOS is probably the most difficult thing about it. Reboot and hit the appropriate key during POST to open your BIOS. Look at your settings, compare them to the settings your memory is supposed to be at.

Best of all, you don't really have to understand what any of it means. You just need to gather the information and post it. There are a couple thousand people on these forums at any given time. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will be able to assist you.

TDRs happen for ATI, Intel and NVIDIA graphics users. The only guranteed way to not get a TDR is to not use Windows 7 or Vista (it'll just crash instead).

Amorphous
If you can't understand the sticky at the top of this forum, then you're best taking your computer to a qualified technician for assistance. They'll likely just take a bunch of your money and not fix anything (the last part may only apply if they're part of the Geek Squad).

Most novices should be able to eliminate the most common causes of TDRs. You can check if your system is overheating with any of a dozen free utilities out there, there's even a free one from NVIDIA called NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support. Popping open your case and looking at the side of your PSU isn't hard, and it may not even require a screwdriver. Checking your RAM voltages and timing in BIOS is probably the most difficult thing about it. Reboot and hit the appropriate key during POST to open your BIOS. Look at your settings, compare them to the settings your memory is supposed to be at.

Best of all, you don't really have to understand what any of it means. You just need to gather the information and post it. There are a couple thousand people on these forums at any given time. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will be able to assist you.

TDRs happen for ATI, Intel and NVIDIA graphics users. The only guranteed way to not get a TDR is to not use Windows 7 or Vista (it'll just crash instead).

Amorphous

This is not a regularly monitored account. Please contact Kris@NVIDIA for assistance.

If you're dying to reach me, hit me up at Amorphous@NVIDIA

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 03/03/2010 01:34 AM   
uninstall new driver and install the 260.99 driver!!
uninstall new driver and install the 260.99 driver!!

Posted 07/13/2011 04:06 PM   
I have the same problem but not in all games... there are two it happens in and that was when I played Age of Conan and now Saint's row the third...

Though after initial trouble shooting I have figured out that in my case, it only happens in these games if I use Directx 10 and oddly enough it's only in these two games it happens for me

if I run them with the directx 9 option, nothing happens and they work perfectly.... so I have this vague Idea that maybe when you have the options for 9 or 10.... it crashes at my computer...

I have the gtx 280.

well that is all I guess...
I have the same problem but not in all games... there are two it happens in and that was when I played Age of Conan and now Saint's row the third...

Though after initial trouble shooting I have figured out that in my case, it only happens in these games if I use Directx 10 and oddly enough it's only in these two games it happens for me

if I run them with the directx 9 option, nothing happens and they work perfectly.... so I have this vague Idea that maybe when you have the options for 9 or 10.... it crashes at my computer...

I have the gtx 280.

well that is all I guess...

Posted 12/02/2011 12:29 PM   
[quote name='hengegnu' date='02 March 2010 - 07:05 AM' timestamp='1267542332' post='1010840']
[/quote]
driver 275.33 has worked very good for me. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
[quote name='hengegnu' date='02 March 2010 - 07:05 AM' timestamp='1267542332' post='1010840']

driver 275.33 has worked very good for me. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 12/03/2011 05:02 AM   
Two the first two posters:
If your crashes are [b]during high use 3d gaming/apps[/b] you should rule out the usual suspects first for both yourselves and other posters to help you with. GPU temperature, PSU adequacy, overclocked cpu/gpu. On the PSU you might need to make sure the right 12v rails are being used by the graphics card. Use things like prime95 and memtest+ to rule out cpu/ram.

With these ruled out the next step might be to test the ram on the card, if it is a cuda card (anything 8series of newer?) you can use memtestg80 to test the graphics card ram.

Next step would be something like try UNDERclocking your GPU (msi afterburner is a good tool). If this works or as an alternative you can try the stock speed of the card and bumping the voltage up A SMALL AMOUNT.

That the OP is crashing in all 3d apps apart from GTA4 is curious. One thing I will say is that GTA4 is notoriously cpu hungry and it is possible that the card isn't required to do very much but this is pure speculation.

The best tool for stress testing a graphics card is probably furmark. You can read [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194254"]here[/url] that ManuelG says that it will stress the card like no other program. It is important that you monitor temperatures during this test (which furmark will do automatically) and you should also heed ManuelG's advice that turning off over-temperature or over-voltage protection could invalidate your warranty. I have no idea how (I suspect would require at the very least a custom bios flash) or really why you would turn these protections off but this is sound advice is applicable to all software programs not just furmark.
Two the first two posters:

If your crashes are during high use 3d gaming/apps you should rule out the usual suspects first for both yourselves and other posters to help you with. GPU temperature, PSU adequacy, overclocked cpu/gpu. On the PSU you might need to make sure the right 12v rails are being used by the graphics card. Use things like prime95 and memtest+ to rule out cpu/ram.

With these ruled out the next step might be to test the ram on the card, if it is a cuda card (anything 8series of newer?) you can use memtestg80 to test the graphics card ram.

Next step would be something like try UNDERclocking your GPU (msi afterburner is a good tool). If this works or as an alternative you can try the stock speed of the card and bumping the voltage up A SMALL AMOUNT.

That the OP is crashing in all 3d apps apart from GTA4 is curious. One thing I will say is that GTA4 is notoriously cpu hungry and it is possible that the card isn't required to do very much but this is pure speculation.

The best tool for stress testing a graphics card is probably furmark. You can read here that ManuelG says that it will stress the card like no other program. It is important that you monitor temperatures during this test (which furmark will do automatically) and you should also heed ManuelG's advice that turning off over-temperature or over-voltage protection could invalidate your warranty. I have no idea how (I suspect would require at the very least a custom bios flash) or really why you would turn these protections off but this is sound advice is applicable to all software programs not just furmark.

GPU: MSI GTX560Ti Twin Frozr II OC 880/4200 (factory overclock)

Monitor: Dell 2312HM 1920x1080@60hz
Monitor/TV: LG32LH5000 1920x1080@50hz

Posted 12/03/2011 12:32 PM   
Scroll To Top