Kernel Mode Driver keeps failing terribly
  1 / 2    
I just purchased a brand new Toshiba A500 satellite with a Geforce GT 330M graphics card. Unfortunately, whenever I watch videos on full screen I get the following error.

'Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 188.29 has stopped working and has successfully recovered'

The screen goes blanks and the sound distorts terribly.

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, as I really don't want to send the machine back to Toshiba as it'll take like a month to get it back .

Thanks,

Josh
I just purchased a brand new Toshiba A500 satellite with a Geforce GT 330M graphics card. Unfortunately, whenever I watch videos on full screen I get the following error.

'Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 188.29 has stopped working and has successfully recovered'

Any help would greatly be appreciated, as I really don't want to send the machine back to Toshiba as it'll take like a month to get it back .

Thanks,

Josh

Posted 02/26/2010 06:21 AM   
I would like to get some information on this as well. I have the same Toshiba Satelite A505 with the 310 card running windows 7 64bit. But my error happens randomly. Its the same message as yours. version 188.29 failed and recovered.

Any help or information would be great
I would like to get some information on this as well. I have the same Toshiba Satelite A505 with the 310 card running windows 7 64bit. But my error happens randomly. Its the same message as yours. version 188.29 failed and recovered.

Any help or information would be great

Posted 03/27/2010 07:42 PM   
[quote name='Joshebsworth' post='1008294' date='Feb 26 2010, 01:21 AM']I just purchased a brand new Toshiba A500 satellite with a Geforce GT 330M graphics card. Unfortunately, whenever I watch videos on full screen I get the following error.

Thanks,

Josh[/quote]
you need to go to the makers website and download the drivers because most have other things to add into the install file .if that don't work call Toshiba tech support.

read the support page here [url="http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=2584412&rpn=PSAT6U&modelFilter=A500-ST6644&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663"]http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663[/url]
[quote name='Joshebsworth' post='1008294' date='Feb 26 2010, 01:21 AM']I just purchased a brand new Toshiba A500 satellite with a Geforce GT 330M graphics card. Unfortunately, whenever I watch videos on full screen I get the following error.

Thanks,

Josh

you need to go to the makers website and download the drivers because most have other things to add into the install file .if that don't work call Toshiba tech support.

read the support page here http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

na

Posted 03/28/2010 02:56 PM   
I just bought my Satellite A500-1H5 YESTERDAY, and coming out of the box this same exact mistake keeps happening to it. I got a Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM and the graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. Sometimes at random, the screen will flicker black for a couple seconds, then the message will pop up saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, Version 187.98 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Unbelievable.This is a brand new laptop, straight out of the box. And I couldn't find a way to correct this. I tried using device manager to update the driver, but it says it's up-to-date. I installed the new NVIDIA driver, which just came out today, compatible to upgrade my GT 330M card, but that kept crashing my Windows 7 64-bit. Blue screens almost everytime I logged into Windows, just minutes into my work. Icouldn't solve this with System Restore and ultimately used the Recovery Disk to revert back to factory settings. I thought maybe my graphics drivers were corrupted, but now, after starting over with a clean slate machine, after 2 hours of work, trying some music and videos, just at random it happened twice again in under 2 minutes. And, sometimes, it doesn't just flicker, it goes into a short freeze followed by a BSOD, here's a screencap of it:

[url="http://imgur.com/XjOuX.jpg"][img]http://imgur.com/XjOuXl.jpg[/img][/url] Click for full size

I'm really grasping at straws here. Should I return the machine or wait for a solution? I'm checking the RAM test while I wait for any replies.

Thanks for reading.
I just bought my Satellite A500-1H5 YESTERDAY, and coming out of the box this same exact mistake keeps happening to it. I got a Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM and the graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. Sometimes at random, the screen will flicker black for a couple seconds, then the message will pop up saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, Version 187.98 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Unbelievable.This is a brand new laptop, straight out of the box. And I couldn't find a way to correct this. I tried using device manager to update the driver, but it says it's up-to-date. I installed the new NVIDIA driver, which just came out today, compatible to upgrade my GT 330M card, but that kept crashing my Windows 7 64-bit. Blue screens almost everytime I logged into Windows, just minutes into my work. Icouldn't solve this with System Restore and ultimately used the Recovery Disk to revert back to factory settings. I thought maybe my graphics drivers were corrupted, but now, after starting over with a clean slate machine, after 2 hours of work, trying some music and videos, just at random it happened twice again in under 2 minutes. And, sometimes, it doesn't just flicker, it goes into a short freeze followed by a BSOD, here's a screencap of it:

Image Click for full size

I'm really grasping at straws here. Should I return the machine or wait for a solution? I'm checking the RAM test while I wait for any replies.

Thanks for reading.

Posted 03/30/2010 07:47 PM   
[quote name='JoseA' post='1030620' date='Mar 30 2010, 08:47 PM']I just bought my Satellite A500-1H5 YESTERDAY, and coming out of the box this same exact mistake keeps happening to it. I got a Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM and the graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. Sometimes at random, the screen will flicker black for a couple seconds, then the message will pop up saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, Version 187.98 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Unbelievable.This is a brand new laptop, straight out of the box. And I couldn't find a way to correct this. I tried using device manager to update the driver, but it says it's up-to-date. I installed the new NVIDIA driver, which just came out today, compatible to upgrade my GT 330M card, but that kept crashing my Windows 7 64-bit. Blue screens almost everytime I logged into Windows, just minutes into my work. Icouldn't solve this with System Restore and ultimately used the Recovery Disk to revert back to factory settings. I thought maybe my graphics drivers were corrupted, but now, after starting over with a clean slate machine, after 2 hours of work, trying some music and videos, just at random it happened twice again in under 2 minutes. And, sometimes, it doesn't just flicker, it goes into a short freeze followed by a BSOD, here's a screencap of it:

[url="http://imgur.com/XjOuX.jpg"][img]http://imgur.com/XjOuXl.jpg[/img][/url] Click for full size

Thanks for reading.[/quote]

I have just the same problem.
did you found any solutions for this problem???

best regards
[quote name='JoseA' post='1030620' date='Mar 30 2010, 08:47 PM']I just bought my Satellite A500-1H5 YESTERDAY, and coming out of the box this same exact mistake keeps happening to it. I got a Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM and the graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. Sometimes at random, the screen will flicker black for a couple seconds, then the message will pop up saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, Version 187.98 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Unbelievable.This is a brand new laptop, straight out of the box. And I couldn't find a way to correct this. I tried using device manager to update the driver, but it says it's up-to-date. I installed the new NVIDIA driver, which just came out today, compatible to upgrade my GT 330M card, but that kept crashing my Windows 7 64-bit. Blue screens almost everytime I logged into Windows, just minutes into my work. Icouldn't solve this with System Restore and ultimately used the Recovery Disk to revert back to factory settings. I thought maybe my graphics drivers were corrupted, but now, after starting over with a clean slate machine, after 2 hours of work, trying some music and videos, just at random it happened twice again in under 2 minutes. And, sometimes, it doesn't just flicker, it goes into a short freeze followed by a BSOD, here's a screencap of it:

Thanks for reading.

best regards

Posted 04/17/2010 08:40 PM   

Thanks for reading.[/quote]

best regards

Thanks for reading.

best regards

Posted 04/17/2010 08:40 PM   
[quote name='siriushhh' post='1041294' date='Apr 17 2010, 10:40 PM']I have just the same problem.

best regards[/quote]

Hi,

I have just also the same problem.

best regards
Johan
[quote name='siriushhh' post='1041294' date='Apr 17 2010, 10:40 PM']I have just the same problem.

best regards

Hi,

best regards

Johan

Posted 04/24/2010 06:59 AM   
[quote name='zalman4ever' post='1044319' date='Apr 24 2010, 07:59 AM']Hi,

best regards
Johan[/quote]

I have the same problem. Solution?
[quote name='zalman4ever' post='1044319' date='Apr 24 2010, 07:59 AM']Hi,

best regards

Johan

I have the same problem. Solution?

Posted 04/25/2010 12:56 AM   
The problem with the suggestion to go to the Toshiba website is the download they have there is for the 32 bit. I run Windows 7 64 bit. I've contacted Toshiba tech support and they weren't overly helpful. Any other suggestions on how to deal with the mode driver failing? It does it even when I'm not running videos or things like that. I could be working on one of my writing projects in Word and the mode driver error message will pop up and cause issues for a while.
The problem with the suggestion to go to the Toshiba website is the download they have there is for the 32 bit. I run Windows 7 64 bit. I've contacted Toshiba tech support and they weren't overly helpful. Any other suggestions on how to deal with the mode driver failing? It does it even when I'm not running videos or things like that. I could be working on one of my writing projects in Word and the mode driver error message will pop up and cause issues for a while.

Posted 05/17/2010 04:33 PM   
I have the same situation myself as 6 of my customers do with Vid driver stop responding then restarting.
This seems to be a Satellite A500 Nvidia chipset issue and I feel many other notebooks with the same chipset will have the same problem.

My specs of my notebook are:

Model Toshiba Satellite A500

Part Number PSAR9A-O2J001

Intel Core i5 processor

Windows 7 Home premium (32 bit)

4GB memory

500Gb Sata storage

NVidia GeForce GT 330M graphics.

I have been a computer techy in my own business for over 15 years and have come across many wonderful and weird situations on all types of systems.
This is what I have come up with my situation from doing test and diagnostics etc to try solving this problem.

As for upgrading the bin file (bios) there is no update yet available, I feel that it would not make a difference to it.
I have upgraded the Video driver from the Nvidia website, it was a later driver for the chipset but the problem still showed it ugly face
I feel it may be a software driver problem but I am feeling strongly that it may be the chipset on the mainboard.
I have tried everything and to get this chipset to communicate with the driver and the Os but I have not come up with a work around to sort the fix out.

My next move will first be to contact a Nvidia high level techy to ask my questions needing answered, then if I get no bliss with them, then I will call Toshiba and see what they say, if I'm not happy with their comments or feel they are trying to pass me off, I will ask them to recall all the models back for a replacement video chipset to be install on the mainboard or to upgrade me to the L550 and no extra cost for the time and hassles I have had to go though and on behalf of my customers also.
I have the same situation myself as 6 of my customers do with Vid driver stop responding then restarting.

This seems to be a Satellite A500 Nvidia chipset issue and I feel many other notebooks with the same chipset will have the same problem.

Intel Core i5 processor

4GB memory

500Gb Sata storage

I have been a computer techy in my own business for over 15 years and have come across many wonderful and weird situations on all types of systems.

This is what I have come up with my situation from doing test and diagnostics etc to try solving this problem.

As for upgrading the bin file (bios) there is no update yet available, I feel that it would not make a difference to it.

I have upgraded the Video driver from the Nvidia website, it was a later driver for the chipset but the problem still showed it ugly face

I feel it may be a software driver problem but I am feeling strongly that it may be the chipset on the mainboard.

I have tried everything and to get this chipset to communicate with the driver and the Os but I have not come up with a work around to sort the fix out.

My next move will first be to contact a Nvidia high level techy to ask my questions needing answered, then if I get no bliss with them, then I will call Toshiba and see what they say, if I'm not happy with their comments or feel they are trying to pass me off, I will ask them to recall all the models back for a replacement video chipset to be install on the mainboard or to upgrade me to the L550 and no extra cost for the time and hassles I have had to go though and on behalf of my customers also.

Posted 05/19/2010 03:21 PM   
i got an a500 with the same issue as well. its at random times and it seems to get worse. on the toshiba forums people say there is no permanent fix at this stage, when i bought the laptop it was a runout end of line model.so if toshiba knew this was a problem with these laptops then they should never sold them, especially seeing as there still seems no fix to this dilema.
i got an a500 with the same issue as well. its at random times and it seems to get worse. on the toshiba forums people say there is no permanent fix at this stage, when i bought the laptop it was a runout end of line model.so if toshiba knew this was a problem with these laptops then they should never sold them, especially seeing as there still seems no fix to this dilema.

Posted 05/28/2010 09:40 AM   
[quote name='Dani Gaye' post='1058274' date='May 20 2010, 12:21 AM']I have the same situation myself as 6 of my customers do with Vid driver stop responding then restarting.

Intel Core i5 processor

4GB memory

500Gb Sata storage

My next move will first be to contact a Nvidia high level techy to ask my questions needing answered, then if I get no bliss with them, then I will call Toshiba and see what they say, if I'm not happy with their comments or feel they are trying to pass me off, I will ask them to recall all the models back for a replacement video chipset to be install on the mainboard or to upgrade me to the L550 and no extra cost for the time and hassles I have had to go though and on behalf of my customers also.[/quote]

Hi, I have same model too & same specs as above, took it to a registered Toshiba repairer who downloaded new driver & still having problems. I also have problem of computer starting itself at night when shut down. I have BIOS version 1.2, can't seem to find an updated version for it now but am certain there was one previously on their website but not there now. I couldn't update the bios when tried earlier & technician couldn't either, paid the bill and computer in same state as it was prior to ''being fixed', so very annoyed if it is a common problem as wasn't covered under warranty. Find it strange the bios upgrade isn't on their site anymore for this model
[quote name='Dani Gaye' post='1058274' date='May 20 2010, 12:21 AM']I have the same situation myself as 6 of my customers do with Vid driver stop responding then restarting.

Intel Core i5 processor

4GB memory

500Gb Sata storage

Hi, I have same model too & same specs as above, took it to a registered Toshiba repairer who downloaded new driver & still having problems. I also have problem of computer starting itself at night when shut down. I have BIOS version 1.2, can't seem to find an updated version for it now but am certain there was one previously on their website but not there now. I couldn't update the bios when tried earlier & technician couldn't either, paid the bill and computer in same state as it was prior to ''being fixed', so very annoyed if it is a common problem as wasn't covered under warranty. Find it strange the bios upgrade isn't on their site anymore for this model

Posted 06/28/2010 09:11 AM   
I have had the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite A505 with the display driver kernel mode. I have spent countless phone calls with Toshiba warranty people. They had me download the same version driver. Then, had me download a different driver. Then had me go back to factory settings (that was a stupid idea). I then sent it back to their repair depot in Louisville Kentucky. They had it two weeks and sent it back stating they found no problems even though over the phone they had receiverd more than one PC back with the same problem. They had me send it to them again after I spoke to a customer service rep. They had it from June 7 to July 4th. The sent it back to me after they removed and replaced the system board. They reimaged the hard drive to factory settings. Set the DMI and updated the BIOS to 1.30. And they stated on the invoice that the unit passed all tests. Hah! I have it back only one day and still had the same problem.

Is there a resolution? There may be one, but Toshiba doesn't know how to fix it. Thankfully, I am still under warranty. Maybe someday they may fix it. In the meantime, I can't tell how annoyed I am.

Note: I have read on some sites it is a compatibility problem with the driver.
I have had the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite A505 with the display driver kernel mode. I have spent countless phone calls with Toshiba warranty people. They had me download the same version driver. Then, had me download a different driver. Then had me go back to factory settings (that was a stupid idea). I then sent it back to their repair depot in Louisville Kentucky. They had it two weeks and sent it back stating they found no problems even though over the phone they had receiverd more than one PC back with the same problem. They had me send it to them again after I spoke to a customer service rep. They had it from June 7 to July 4th. The sent it back to me after they removed and replaced the system board. They reimaged the hard drive to factory settings. Set the DMI and updated the BIOS to 1.30. And they stated on the invoice that the unit passed all tests. Hah! I have it back only one day and still had the same problem.

Is there a resolution? There may be one, but Toshiba doesn't know how to fix it. Thankfully, I am still under warranty. Maybe someday they may fix it. In the meantime, I can't tell how annoyed I am.

Note: I have read on some sites it is a compatibility problem with the driver.

Posted 07/09/2010 06:01 AM   
Hate to tell people but I have 2 systems running system 7 64 bit, one running a simple 9800GTX+ and the other running 260's in SLI.

They both get BSOD's randomly. Both point to the nv drivers, and both have gone through several itterations of drivers with no resolution.

I have gone as far as wiping drives and reinstalling from scratch.

My guess is that this is a system 7 issue, and MS has found a way to deflect errors to look like other problems than take the heat for their own errors.

I have run one system as dual boot with XP, and the XP side doesn't crash. Go figure.

I suggest people also consider that system 7 64bit is less than stable.
Hate to tell people but I have 2 systems running system 7 64 bit, one running a simple 9800GTX+ and the other running 260's in SLI.

They both get BSOD's randomly. Both point to the nv drivers, and both have gone through several itterations of drivers with no resolution.

I have gone as far as wiping drives and reinstalling from scratch.

My guess is that this is a system 7 issue, and MS has found a way to deflect errors to look like other problems than take the heat for their own errors.

I have run one system as dual boot with XP, and the XP side doesn't crash. Go figure.

I suggest people also consider that system 7 64bit is less than stable.

Posted 07/09/2010 12:13 PM   
[quote name='Joshebsworth' post='1008294' date='Feb 26 2010, 08:21 AM']I just purchased a brand new Toshiba A500 satellite with a Geforce GT 330M graphics card. Unfortunately, whenever I watch videos on full screen I get the following error.

'Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 188.29 has stopped working and has successfully recovered'[/quote]

Hi all, i've got an ASUS X5DIE with geforce 310M and it shows the same message error. It happends during 3D applications or simply in the windows 7 aero theme, it's like gpu had an overloading or something like that. Asus give users only one stupid driver release (187.70) very old and slow, but pretty stable. Solution from ASUS : Wait for other NVIDIA releases more stable; solution from NVIDIA: wait for productor's drivers for you specific system. xD
Hope someone of us can resolve the issue... /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
[quote name='Joshebsworth' post='1008294' date='Feb 26 2010, 08:21 AM']I just purchased a brand new Toshiba A500 satellite with a Geforce GT 330M graphics card. Unfortunately, whenever I watch videos on full screen I get the following error.

Hi all, i've got an ASUS X5DIE with geforce 310M and it shows the same message error. It happends during 3D applications or simply in the windows 7 aero theme, it's like gpu had an overloading or something like that. Asus give users only one stupid driver release (187.70) very old and slow, but pretty stable. Solution from ASUS : Wait for other NVIDIA releases more stable; solution from NVIDIA: wait for productor's drivers for you specific system. xD

Hope someone of us can resolve the issue... /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Posted 07/20/2010 10:39 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top