4gb memory - memory remapping
I'm running an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe with a core 2 duo processor. I recently upgraded from 2 gigs of ram on 2 sticks to 4 gigs on 4 sticks and ran into a problem that seems to hit a lot of people which is windows has trouble with 4 gigs of memory installed in this way. After stressing a lot and reading way to many similar posts, i enabled the memory remap feature which fixed my problem...sort of.

Most people are complaining that with 4 gigs of memory installed in the system, windows only recognizes 3ish gigs. The way to solve this problem is to enable memory remapping in you bios and everybody is happy. In my case, with memory remapping disabled (the default setting) my computer takes about 25 minutes to boot and runs so slow that the mouse cursor only updates its location about once every 3 or 4 seconds. If i click on anything, the computer all but locks up (or actually does lock up depending on what i choose). Activating memory remapping solves this problem, the computer boots normally and everything at first seems fine but my sound card is now completely flipped out. I have a soundblaster x-fi card on a normal pci slot. The card is detected in windows just fine and the drivers are all up to date and it worked perfectly fine before the ram upgrade. It will make a sound every once in a while but there is a lot of static and eventually it goes quiet.

I was originally running vista 64 home premium and i actually upgraded to windows 7 professional hoping it would help the problem but the problem is still there. I've tried flashing the bios and updating every driver that could possibly be relevant to no avail.

I'm stumped so any help would be appreciated.
I'm running an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe with a core 2 duo processor. I recently upgraded from 2 gigs of ram on 2 sticks to 4 gigs on 4 sticks and ran into a problem that seems to hit a lot of people which is windows has trouble with 4 gigs of memory installed in this way. After stressing a lot and reading way to many similar posts, i enabled the memory remap feature which fixed my problem...sort of.

Most people are complaining that with 4 gigs of memory installed in the system, windows only recognizes 3ish gigs. The way to solve this problem is to enable memory remapping in you bios and everybody is happy. In my case, with memory remapping disabled (the default setting) my computer takes about 25 minutes to boot and runs so slow that the mouse cursor only updates its location about once every 3 or 4 seconds. If i click on anything, the computer all but locks up (or actually does lock up depending on what i choose). Activating memory remapping solves this problem, the computer boots normally and everything at first seems fine but my sound card is now completely flipped out. I have a soundblaster x-fi card on a normal pci slot. The card is detected in windows just fine and the drivers are all up to date and it worked perfectly fine before the ram upgrade. It will make a sound every once in a while but there is a lot of static and eventually it goes quiet.

I was originally running vista 64 home premium and i actually upgraded to windows 7 professional hoping it would help the problem but the problem is still there. I've tried flashing the bios and updating every driver that could possibly be relevant to no avail.

Posted 02/23/2010 05:23 AM   
[quote name='stuffffreak' post='1006418' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:23 PM']I'm running an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe with a core 2 duo processor. I recently upgraded from 2 gigs of ram on 2 sticks to 4 gigs on 4 sticks and ran into a problem that seems to hit a lot of people which is windows has trouble with 4 gigs of memory installed in this way. After stressing a lot and reading way to many similar posts, i enabled the memory remap feature which fixed my problem...sort of.

I'm stumped so any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

I don't really know about your specific computer setup, but I can tell you that on my older Dell with nForce 4 series mobo and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 SLI that there was no way to get the computer to recognize more that 3G of RAM with any x86 or x32 OS, so I recently upgraded my old Dell to Win 7 Ultimate x64 and was immediately able to install 8G of RAM with no issues what so ever, and no need for memory mapping -- the new RAM was instantly recognized. My old Dell boots into Win 7 with incredible speed, and now runs very stable and fast and everything works fine, EXCEPT sound which continues be a major issue due to crackles, pops, and hissing -- but from searching this forum that appears to be an inherent issue with older NVIDIA mobos interacting with large amounts of RAM and Creative Labs soundcards -- and apparently is not fixable.
[quote name='stuffffreak' post='1006418' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:23 PM']I'm running an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe with a core 2 duo processor. I recently upgraded from 2 gigs of ram on 2 sticks to 4 gigs on 4 sticks and ran into a problem that seems to hit a lot of people which is windows has trouble with 4 gigs of memory installed in this way. After stressing a lot and reading way to many similar posts, i enabled the memory remap feature which fixed my problem...sort of.

I don't really know about your specific computer setup, but I can tell you that on my older Dell with nForce 4 series mobo and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 SLI that there was no way to get the computer to recognize more that 3G of RAM with any x86 or x32 OS, so I recently upgraded my old Dell to Win 7 Ultimate x64 and was immediately able to install 8G of RAM with no issues what so ever, and no need for memory mapping -- the new RAM was instantly recognized. My old Dell boots into Win 7 with incredible speed, and now runs very stable and fast and everything works fine, EXCEPT sound which continues be a major issue due to crackles, pops, and hissing -- but from searching this forum that appears to be an inherent issue with older NVIDIA mobos interacting with large amounts of RAM and Creative Labs soundcards -- and apparently is not fixable.

Posted 05/08/2010 04:47 PM   
[quote name='rdo' post='1052347' date='May 8 2010, 12:47 PM']I don't really know about your specific computer setup, but I can tell you that on my older Dell with nForce 4 series mobo and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 SLI that there was no way to get the computer to recognize more that 3G of RAM with any x86 or x32 OS, so I recently upgraded my old Dell to Win 7 Ultimate x64 and was immediately able to install 8G of RAM with no issues what so ever, and no need for memory mapping -- the new RAM was instantly recognized. My old Dell boots into Win 7 with incredible speed, and now runs very stable and fast and everything works fine, EXCEPT sound which continues be a major issue due to crackles, pops, and hissing -- but from searching this forum that appears to be an inherent issue with older NVIDIA mobos interacting with large amounts of RAM and Creative Labs soundcards -- and apparently is not fixable.[/quote]

Please dont necromance old threads.
[quote name='rdo' post='1052347' date='May 8 2010, 12:47 PM']I don't really know about your specific computer setup, but I can tell you that on my older Dell with nForce 4 series mobo and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 SLI that there was no way to get the computer to recognize more that 3G of RAM with any x86 or x32 OS, so I recently upgraded my old Dell to Win 7 Ultimate x64 and was immediately able to install 8G of RAM with no issues what so ever, and no need for memory mapping -- the new RAM was instantly recognized. My old Dell boots into Win 7 with incredible speed, and now runs very stable and fast and everything works fine, EXCEPT sound which continues be a major issue due to crackles, pops, and hissing -- but from searching this forum that appears to be an inherent issue with older NVIDIA mobos interacting with large amounts of RAM and Creative Labs soundcards -- and apparently is not fixable.

Please dont necromance old threads.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 05/08/2010 10:25 PM   
Scroll To Top