GTX280 crashing during any gameplay
  1 / 2    
I have a GTX 280 that is giving me trouble. What happens is anytime I enter a program that uses 3D graphics after about 5 minutes my screen gets scrambled into a blue and white mess and I'm forced to reset. I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers on a fresh Windows XP install with SP3 and all recent system updates. This crash only happens when using any 3D apps like Call of Duty, leaving it at the desktop or using the internet is fine. When in the game itself I'm also not seeing any drops in FPS or graphic errors, it just suddenly crashes.

My current system specs are:
AMD Phenom X4 3.2ghz
4gb of ram
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT motherboard
BFGTech GTX280 1gb
Seagate 1TB HD
I have a GTX 280 that is giving me trouble. What happens is anytime I enter a program that uses 3D graphics after about 5 minutes my screen gets scrambled into a blue and white mess and I'm forced to reset. I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers on a fresh Windows XP install with SP3 and all recent system updates. This crash only happens when using any 3D apps like Call of Duty, leaving it at the desktop or using the internet is fine. When in the game itself I'm also not seeing any drops in FPS or graphic errors, it just suddenly crashes.

My current system specs are:

AMD Phenom X4 3.2ghz

4gb of ram

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT motherboard

BFGTech GTX280 1gb

Seagate 1TB HD

Posted 02/21/2010 06:01 PM   
is the card new? if not have you always had the problems?

whats your PSU?
is the card new? if not have you always had the problems?

whats your PSU?

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 02/21/2010 06:14 PM   
Kinda sounds like its a heat issue, what are the temps when running a game or anytime the card is under load? do you have a mid or full size case and whats your airflow like in the case?
Kinda sounds like its a heat issue, what are the temps when running a game or anytime the card is under load? do you have a mid or full size case and whats your airflow like in the case?

Posted 02/21/2010 06:23 PM   
[quote name='Qazax' post='1005463' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:14 PM']is the card new? if not have you always had the problems?

whats your PSU?[/quote]

I bought the card last May, so it's been less than a year. I have an ANTEC 750w PSU. I recently changed cases from an ANTEC 182PSE to a Cooler Master HAF932, and this wasn't happening in my old case.
[quote name='Qazax' post='1005463' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:14 PM']is the card new? if not have you always had the problems?

whats your PSU?

I bought the card last May, so it's been less than a year. I have an ANTEC 750w PSU. I recently changed cases from an ANTEC 182PSE to a Cooler Master HAF932, and this wasn't happening in my old case.

Posted 02/21/2010 06:26 PM   
[quote name='lastexile33' post='1005473' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:26 AM']I bought the card last May, so it's been less than a year. I have an ANTEC 750w PSU. I recently changed cases from an ANTEC 182PSE to a Cooler Master HAF932, and this wasn't happening in my old case.[/quote]
Well you should have excellent airflow and since it wasnt happening before I would check the power connections and make sure they are good and tight in the card and also in the PSU if you have a modular PSU, you may also what to try reseating the GPU to make sure it is properly and tightly seated in the motherboard :D
[quote name='lastexile33' post='1005473' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:26 AM']I bought the card last May, so it's been less than a year. I have an ANTEC 750w PSU. I recently changed cases from an ANTEC 182PSE to a Cooler Master HAF932, and this wasn't happening in my old case.

Well you should have excellent airflow and since it wasnt happening before I would check the power connections and make sure they are good and tight in the card and also in the PSU if you have a modular PSU, you may also what to try reseating the GPU to make sure it is properly and tightly seated in the motherboard :D

Posted 02/21/2010 06:30 PM   
download GPU-Z (its free) and let us know how hot it is idle and full load.
download GPU-Z (its free) and let us know how hot it is idle and full load.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 02/21/2010 06:34 PM   
[quote name='Qazax' post='1005480' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:34 PM']download GPU-Z (its free) and let us know how hot it is idle and full load.[/quote]

I have the program running right now and my idle GPU temp is hovering around 44-46, running AVP the temp has gone up to about 60.
[quote name='Qazax' post='1005480' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:34 PM']download GPU-Z (its free) and let us know how hot it is idle and full load.

I have the program running right now and my idle GPU temp is hovering around 44-46, running AVP the temp has gone up to about 60.

Posted 02/21/2010 06:48 PM   
[quote name='lastexile33' post='1005492' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:48 AM']I have the program running right now and my idle GPU temp is hovering around 44-46, running AVP the temp has gone up to about 60.[/quote]
Those are really good temps so that just leavs hardware issue, try downloading OCCT and run a test on your GPU memory, it might also be good to also download memtest and test your system memory
[quote name='lastexile33' post='1005492' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:48 AM']I have the program running right now and my idle GPU temp is hovering around 44-46, running AVP the temp has gone up to about 60.

Those are really good temps so that just leavs hardware issue, try downloading OCCT and run a test on your GPU memory, it might also be good to also download memtest and test your system memory

Posted 02/21/2010 06:59 PM   
[quote name='PimpmasterF' post='1005503' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:59 PM']Those are really good temps so that just leavs hardware issue, try downloading OCCT and run a test on your GPU memory, it might also be good to also download memtest and test your system memory[/quote]

10 pass GPU memory test in OCCT had no errors, I'll see about running memtest as well.

edit:

I've also removed and re-inserted the GPU, dusted out my case and the card and removed and re-installed drivers. Still no luck, got about 1 minute of gameplay with AVP before my screen scrambled.
[quote name='PimpmasterF' post='1005503' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:59 PM']Those are really good temps so that just leavs hardware issue, try downloading OCCT and run a test on your GPU memory, it might also be good to also download memtest and test your system memory

10 pass GPU memory test in OCCT had no errors, I'll see about running memtest as well.

edit:

I've also removed and re-inserted the GPU, dusted out my case and the card and removed and re-installed drivers. Still no luck, got about 1 minute of gameplay with AVP before my screen scrambled.

Posted 02/21/2010 07:16 PM   
try some other drivers?
try some other drivers?

Posted 02/21/2010 07:43 PM   
[quote name='Qazax' post='1005520' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:43 PM']try some other drivers?[/quote]

Tried the 186.18 drivers from July and no go /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
[quote name='Qazax' post='1005520' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:43 PM']try some other drivers?

Tried the 186.18 drivers from July and no go /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Posted 02/21/2010 08:05 PM   
Try putting the card into the other PCIe slot
Try putting the card into the other PCIe slot

Posted 02/21/2010 08:24 PM   
No go on that as well /pinch.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pinch:' />
No go on that as well /pinch.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pinch:' />

Posted 02/21/2010 08:45 PM   
I started having this problem a few weeks back, so I installed the new drivers, however the same thing is happening.. worse even.

I start up Global agenda or Bioshock 2, then i play for about a minute or 2, then the screen goes nuts like when you yank a nintendo game out of an NES without turning the power off. I hear many people having the same problem recently. Im still trying to figure out what the problem is.

Temperature is fine.
I started having this problem a few weeks back, so I installed the new drivers, however the same thing is happening.. worse even.

I start up Global agenda or Bioshock 2, then i play for about a minute or 2, then the screen goes nuts like when you yank a nintendo game out of an NES without turning the power off. I hear many people having the same problem recently. Im still trying to figure out what the problem is.

Temperature is fine.

Posted 02/23/2010 04:40 PM   
i have been having the same problem with my gtx280.. It was running good and smooth until a couple months ago when it started loosing performance and fps started dropping and now when i play cod mw2 or gta iv, It just crashs and my screen goes weird, Random colors and the game starts going weird shaped ect.. And im forced to restart comp, Sometimes it goes to blue screen. Seems like I am having the same problem heaps of other people are having.

I have a 600 watt PSU - always run perfect never any troubles.. All my other components still seem to be running strong.
My temperatures are always under 65 degrees when im gaming on about 80% fan speed and on idle about 40 - 50 degrees..
I think i might try a fresh reinstall of vista and see how it turns out. :rolleyes:

I have been gaming with this gcard for about a year and 3 months so i am just thinking it is getting old??? :mellow:
i have been having the same problem with my gtx280.. It was running good and smooth until a couple months ago when it started loosing performance and fps started dropping and now when i play cod mw2 or gta iv, It just crashs and my screen goes weird, Random colors and the game starts going weird shaped ect.. And im forced to restart comp, Sometimes it goes to blue screen. Seems like I am having the same problem heaps of other people are having.

I have a 600 watt PSU - always run perfect never any troubles.. All my other components still seem to be running strong.

My temperatures are always under 65 degrees when im gaming on about 80% fan speed and on idle about 40 - 50 degrees..

I think i might try a fresh reinstall of vista and see how it turns out. :rolleyes:

I have been gaming with this gcard for about a year and 3 months so i am just thinking it is getting old??? :mellow:

Posted 02/24/2010 05:18 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top