Driver Update Problems (blank square in the middle of screen)
Hello Nvidia Forums,

I'm having an odd video driver problem that I was hoping someone around here might be able to give me some advice on.

I'm running a Nvidia Geforce 260 gtx with the 186.18 drivers and when I try to update them to the 196.21 drivers I get a very strange blank square in the middle of the screen that bleeds through any application I have running over it (games, media players, browsers etc.)

I had this problem last time I tried to update and the only way I could find to fix it was to roll back to the 186.18 drivers which I would rather not do again. I've attached a screenshot of the issue to better show what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Hello Nvidia Forums,

I'm having an odd video driver problem that I was hoping someone around here might be able to give me some advice on.

I'm running a Nvidia Geforce 260 gtx with the 186.18 drivers and when I try to update them to the 196.21 drivers I get a very strange blank square in the middle of the screen that bleeds through any application I have running over it (games, media players, browsers etc.)

I had this problem last time I tried to update and the only way I could find to fix it was to roll back to the 186.18 drivers which I would rather not do again. I've attached a screenshot of the issue to better show what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Attachments

problem.JPG

Posted 02/17/2010 05:49 PM   
It is advised to turn off all running applications when updating drivers, turn off everything in the taskbar too.
It is advised to turn off all running applications when updating drivers, turn off everything in the taskbar too.

Posted 02/17/2010 07:25 PM   
[quote name='PeteRoy' post='1003145' date='Feb 17 2010, 02:25 PM']It is advised to turn off all running applications when updating drivers, turn off everything in the taskbar too.[/quote]

yeah, I didn't have all that stuff running when I updated it, that was just to show what was happening.
[quote name='PeteRoy' post='1003145' date='Feb 17 2010, 02:25 PM']It is advised to turn off all running applications when updating drivers, turn off everything in the taskbar too.

yeah, I didn't have all that stuff running when I updated it, that was just to show what was happening.

Posted 02/17/2010 08:16 PM   
I am also having this problem. Reverting to the old driver I was using fixed it, but I would still like to know what is causing it.
I am also having this problem. Reverting to the old driver I was using fixed it, but I would still like to know what is causing it.

Posted 02/18/2010 04:21 PM   
Yes, I think a lot of people would like to know. This issue seems to affect anyone with an 8 series GPU when trying to update to any driver 19X.XX or later. Most people seem to be able to run any driver in the 18X.XX series without issues.

I also have the same problem that started as soon as I tried to load one of the 192.XX drivers (8800GT, XP sp3, 185.16). I have been asking about this since last Summer and have never received a valid response from Nvidia. Uninstalling and removing all nvidia files, rebooting in safe mode, and running 5 different drivers sweepers before installing made no difference. There were a few rare instances where the square would fail to materialize on boot up, but it then would reappear the next time I rebooted. I suspect Nvidia has changed the way their programs operate and it is not compatible with the 8 series or older GPU's. The file list between the 180's and the 190's drivers are not the same. I just wish they would come out and say it, so we can stop wasting hours upon hours looking for other problems.
Yes, I think a lot of people would like to know. This issue seems to affect anyone with an 8 series GPU when trying to update to any driver 19X.XX or later. Most people seem to be able to run any driver in the 18X.XX series without issues.

I also have the same problem that started as soon as I tried to load one of the 192.XX drivers (8800GT, XP sp3, 185.16). I have been asking about this since last Summer and have never received a valid response from Nvidia. Uninstalling and removing all nvidia files, rebooting in safe mode, and running 5 different drivers sweepers before installing made no difference. There were a few rare instances where the square would fail to materialize on boot up, but it then would reappear the next time I rebooted. I suspect Nvidia has changed the way their programs operate and it is not compatible with the 8 series or older GPU's. The file list between the 180's and the 190's drivers are not the same. I just wish they would come out and say it, so we can stop wasting hours upon hours looking for other problems.

Posted 02/18/2010 05:22 PM   
Scroll To Top