8700M GT Dell GPU BIOS Update WARNING!
I'm sharing my tale to get the word out about a very bad experience I just had. First off, my system specs:

Dell XPS M1730 Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100
Dual nVidia 8700M GTs in SLI
Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

I do not use this rig for gaming. It's a general use desktop replacement, but the capability is there should I choose to use it. Here's what happened:

I updated the GPU BIOS using the update from Dell's website:
Release Date: 7/30/2009
Version: 60.84.6A.00.0B/60.84.6A.00.0C , A00

All seemed well. Shortly thereafter, I installed nVidia's latest driver, 195.62. The graphics were benchmarking better than ever.

I began to notice that the rig felt hotter than normal at times while using it at work. Concerned, I installed GPU-Z to check the temps. Sure enough, instead of the usual temps of 65 deg C - 74 deg C, it was idling at 90+ deg C. The fans were not running. A reboot corrected that problem. Fans worked ok for the rest of the day. However, if the rig was powered off until cold, the issue would repeat itself. I rolled the driver back to the Dell OEM release, 176.78 to see if the situation corrected itself. It seemed to for a few days, but then the fans started to fail to come on. I strongly suspected the GPU BIOS update as the culprit, but sadly I didn't back up the original BIOS for retrieval.

The problem worsened. The inboard (center) fan was the only GPU fan that functioned. I decided to do a clean OS install in the hope that it was a software issue. No dice. Finally, the fans quit altogether. I called Dell support and told them that I felt that the GPU failed, time for a new one (rig is still under Dell's warranty). The support tech suggested that both the GPU and the motherboard should be replaced together. I was fine with that. They sent me both parts. Just a sidenote...Dell's support is incredible. I don't like anybody touching my stuff, and they actually allowed me to install my own parts when I asked if I could. Show me another vendor that'll allow that!

The new parts arrived in two days (wow!), and I promptly installed them. I did not need to reinstall the OS. I noted that the GPU shipped with the GPU BIOS that was OEM to my rig, NOT with the updated firmware. I promptly backed up the GPU BIOS for safekeeping. After the parts swap, everything worked properly, fans on, temps normal. I wanted to test my theory, so I decided to do some step-by-step diagnosis. I started by doing another clean install of the OS, and used only Dell factory drivers. Three days of major use, everything perfect. I installed the GPU BIOS firmware I referenced above. Three days later, odd fan behavior. Only the inboard (center) GPU fan was working, and at slower-than-normal RPM. It continued to do this for a full day. This is exactly what I needed to see happen.

Using NVflash, I loaded the OEM GPU firmware back into the GPUs. Fans normal, temps normal, has been since. I'm still running the OEM driver (176.78), but I'm absolutely convinced that there is a fault with the GPU firmware update that Dell has provided. Each GPU has separate firmware, and I believe that the firmware for the outboard GPU is faulty, causing that fan to quit working at times. The extra heat surely killed the last hardware.

In conclusion, I am recommending avoiding the GPU BIOS update until it gets a revision. Fortunately, this incident didn't cost me a cent, but Dell's listed price for the GPU is $499 US, and the mobo $499. Yep, $1000 in total. Nobody needs that headache. BTW, my current firmware that is working properly is 60.84.6A.00.06/60.84.6A.00.07. Thanks for the read, and share if you too have had any fan issues.
I'm sharing my tale to get the word out about a very bad experience I just had. First off, my system specs:

Dell XPS M1730 Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100

I do not use this rig for gaming. It's a general use desktop replacement, but the capability is there should I choose to use it. Here's what happened:

All seemed well. Shortly thereafter, I installed nVidia's latest driver, 195.62. The graphics were benchmarking better than ever.

I began to notice that the rig felt hotter than normal at times while using it at work. Concerned, I installed GPU-Z to check the temps. Sure enough, instead of the usual temps of 65 deg C - 74 deg C, it was idling at 90+ deg C. The fans were not running. A reboot corrected that problem. Fans worked ok for the rest of the day. However, if the rig was powered off until cold, the issue would repeat itself. I rolled the driver back to the Dell OEM release, 176.78 to see if the situation corrected itself. It seemed to for a few days, but then the fans started to fail to come on. I strongly suspected the GPU BIOS update as the culprit, but sadly I didn't back up the original BIOS for retrieval.

The problem worsened. The inboard (center) fan was the only GPU fan that functioned. I decided to do a clean OS install in the hope that it was a software issue. No dice. Finally, the fans quit altogether. I called Dell support and told them that I felt that the GPU failed, time for a new one (rig is still under Dell's warranty). The support tech suggested that both the GPU and the motherboard should be replaced together. I was fine with that. They sent me both parts. Just a sidenote...Dell's support is incredible. I don't like anybody touching my stuff, and they actually allowed me to install my own parts when I asked if I could. Show me another vendor that'll allow that!

The new parts arrived in two days (wow!), and I promptly installed them. I did not need to reinstall the OS. I noted that the GPU shipped with the GPU BIOS that was OEM to my rig, NOT with the updated firmware. I promptly backed up the GPU BIOS for safekeeping. After the parts swap, everything worked properly, fans on, temps normal. I wanted to test my theory, so I decided to do some step-by-step diagnosis. I started by doing another clean install of the OS, and used only Dell factory drivers. Three days of major use, everything perfect. I installed the GPU BIOS firmware I referenced above. Three days later, odd fan behavior. Only the inboard (center) GPU fan was working, and at slower-than-normal RPM. It continued to do this for a full day. This is exactly what I needed to see happen.

Using NVflash, I loaded the OEM GPU firmware back into the GPUs. Fans normal, temps normal, has been since. I'm still running the OEM driver (176.78), but I'm absolutely convinced that there is a fault with the GPU firmware update that Dell has provided. Each GPU has separate firmware, and I believe that the firmware for the outboard GPU is faulty, causing that fan to quit working at times. The extra heat surely killed the last hardware.

In conclusion, I am recommending avoiding the GPU BIOS update until it gets a revision. Fortunately, this incident didn't cost me a cent, but Dell's listed price for the GPU is $499 US, and the mobo $499. Yep, $1000 in total. Nobody needs that headache. BTW, my current firmware that is working properly is 60.84.6A.00.06/60.84.6A.00.07. Thanks for the read, and share if you too have had any fan issues.

Posted 02/10/2010 02:23 AM   
Exactly what is happening to me right now. Unfortunately im not a technical guy, ive never flashed a bios before in my life. Temperature right now is in the high 80's and 90's, and thats idle. Where do i find the bios i need?

Im running the same cards on the M1730, BIOS versions are 60.84.6A.00.06 and 60.84.6A.00.07 .... which is odd, because you are saying they are working for you..
Exactly what is happening to me right now. Unfortunately im not a technical guy, ive never flashed a bios before in my life. Temperature right now is in the high 80's and 90's, and thats idle. Where do i find the bios i need?

Im running the same cards on the M1730, BIOS versions are 60.84.6A.00.06 and 60.84.6A.00.07 .... which is odd, because you are saying they are working for you..

Posted 02/23/2010 05:48 PM   
Evidently there's no way to keep the GT 8700M cards alive. They died again, and this time Dell replaced the XPS with an Alienware M17x. Lots of upgrades, this machine outshines my XPS 2 to 1. The M17x is equipped with an integrated nVIDIA 9400 video chip that handles the general desktop duties, and then dual GTX 280M cards for the performance work. This thing runs really cool, so I'm confident that she'll go the distance. Thanks Dell.
Evidently there's no way to keep the GT 8700M cards alive. They died again, and this time Dell replaced the XPS with an Alienware M17x. Lots of upgrades, this machine outshines my XPS 2 to 1. The M17x is equipped with an integrated nVIDIA 9400 video chip that handles the general desktop duties, and then dual GTX 280M cards for the performance work. This thing runs really cool, so I'm confident that she'll go the distance. Thanks Dell.

Posted 03/22/2010 01:52 AM   
Hey can you post the original firmware for the 8700's? I need to try and downgrade mine due to second card not being detected
Hey can you post the original firmware for the 8700's? I need to try and downgrade mine due to second card not being detected

Posted 07/26/2010 12:26 AM   
[quote name='jaev' post='1093512' date='Jul 25 2010, 06:26 PM']Hey can you post the original firmware for the 8700's? I need to try and downgrade mine due to second card not being detected[/quote]
Wow...I literally tossed them out with a clean install I did just last week. I didn't see any reason to keep 'em. Sorry man. :unsure:
[quote name='jaev' post='1093512' date='Jul 25 2010, 06:26 PM']Hey can you post the original firmware for the 8700's? I need to try and downgrade mine due to second card not being detected

Wow...I literally tossed them out with a clean install I did just last week. I didn't see any reason to keep 'em. Sorry man. :unsure:

Posted 07/26/2010 12:39 AM   
[quote name='strych9' post='1093515' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:39 PM']Wow...I literally tossed them out with a clean install I did just last week. I didn't see any reason to keep 'em. Sorry man. :unsure:[/quote]

darn alright
[quote name='strych9' post='1093515' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:39 PM']Wow...I literally tossed them out with a clean install I did just last week. I didn't see any reason to keep 'em. Sorry man. :unsure:

darn alright

Posted 07/26/2010 12:50 AM   
related to

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19318265/20056921.aspx#20056921

also posted a fix for this issue
related to

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19318265/20056921.aspx#20056921

also posted a fix for this issue

Posted 08/03/2010 01:10 PM   
[quote name='strych9' post='998569' date='Feb 10 2010, 11:53 AM']I'm sharing my tale to get the word out about a very bad experience I just had. First off, my system specs:

Dell XPS M1730 Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100

In conclusion, I am recommending avoiding the GPU BIOS update until it gets a revision. Fortunately, this incident didn't cost me a cent, but Dell's listed price for the GPU is $499 US, and the mobo $499. Yep, $1000 in total. Nobody needs that headache. BTW, my current firmware that is working properly is 60.84.6A.00.06/60.84.6A.00.07. Thanks for the read, and share if you too have had any fan issues.[/quote]
That doesn't sound like Dell because my delivery came 4 days late and their customer support took ages.
[quote name='strych9' post='998569' date='Feb 10 2010, 11:53 AM']I'm sharing my tale to get the word out about a very bad experience I just had. First off, my system specs:

Dell XPS M1730 Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100

That doesn't sound like Dell because my delivery came 4 days late and their customer support took ages.

Posted 09/11/2010 06:05 AM   

Dell XPS M1730 Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100

In conclusion, I am recommending avoiding the GPU BIOS update until it gets a revision. Fortunately, this incident didn't cost me a cent, but Dell's listed price for the GPU is $499 US, and the mobo $499. Yep, $1000 in total. Nobody needs that headache. BTW, my current firmware that is working properly is 60.84.6A.00.06/60.84.6A.00.07. Thanks for the read, and share if you too have had any fan issues.[/quote]

Dell XPS M1730 Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100

Posted 09/11/2010 06:05 AM   
Scroll To Top