NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Windows 7 SVIDEO Driver Multiple Displays Issue Temporary Solution For Driver
Conflict:

I needed to replace my video card, so I purchased an NVIDIA 8400GS 512MB PCIe card. I uninstalled old drivers and hardware, then placed my new video card into the PCIe slot. Windows 7 was able to find my driver, and installed it automatically. Once everything was set, I plugged one end of my s-video cable to the back of the graphics card, and the other end to the s-video slot on my television. Prior to checking anything, I restarted the computer, and logged back into Windows 7. The multiple monitors function was NOT working. At this point in time, I right clicked the desktop, choosing the NVIDIA Control Panel. I clicked the DISPLAYS : SET UP MULTIPLE DISPLAYS section. Next, I clicked the "My display is not shown" button, and selected "Rigorous Display Detection" and Yes. I restarted. Nothing changed. The multiple display function was not working, so I started testing other pieces of the puzzle. I continued by using 3 different s-video cables, and even tried on 2 different TV's.

NVIDIA'S PROBLEM:

The driver NVIDIA provides their customers with does not function properly. It simply does not "do" what it says it is able to "do." When installing this graphics card into a computer running on Windows 7, it is not possible to use the s-video multiple monitors function. This piece of a "driver" has been in packages for over 10 years, and NVIDIA did not get the technology right.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:

Although NVIDIA released a broken driver to their customers, there is an older driver that can perform correctly. You can find it here: [url="http://www.filehippo.com/download_nvidia_forceware_vista_64/tech/5453/"]http://www.filehippo.com/download_nvidia_f...a_64/tech/5453/[/url]

Install this driver instead (it works fine on Windows 7 even though it was designed for Windows Vista) and you will be able to use multiple monitors.

NVIDIA currently has a reputation of ignoring the problems of it's "driver complaint community", so hopefully this helps other customers (such as myself) until NVIDIA offers proper support for their products.

Take Care!
Conflict:

I needed to replace my video card, so I purchased an NVIDIA 8400GS 512MB PCIe card. I uninstalled old drivers and hardware, then placed my new video card into the PCIe slot. Windows 7 was able to find my driver, and installed it automatically. Once everything was set, I plugged one end of my s-video cable to the back of the graphics card, and the other end to the s-video slot on my television. Prior to checking anything, I restarted the computer, and logged back into Windows 7. The multiple monitors function was NOT working. At this point in time, I right clicked the desktop, choosing the NVIDIA Control Panel. I clicked the DISPLAYS : SET UP MULTIPLE DISPLAYS section. Next, I clicked the "My display is not shown" button, and selected "Rigorous Display Detection" and Yes. I restarted. Nothing changed. The multiple display function was not working, so I started testing other pieces of the puzzle. I continued by using 3 different s-video cables, and even tried on 2 different TV's.

NVIDIA'S PROBLEM:

The driver NVIDIA provides their customers with does not function properly. It simply does not "do" what it says it is able to "do." When installing this graphics card into a computer running on Windows 7, it is not possible to use the s-video multiple monitors function. This piece of a "driver" has been in packages for over 10 years, and NVIDIA did not get the technology right.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:

Although NVIDIA released a broken driver to their customers, there is an older driver that can perform correctly. You can find it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_nvidia_f...a_64/tech/5453/

Install this driver instead (it works fine on Windows 7 even though it was designed for Windows Vista) and you will be able to use multiple monitors.

NVIDIA currently has a reputation of ignoring the problems of it's "driver complaint community", so hopefully this helps other customers (such as myself) until NVIDIA offers proper support for their products.

Take Care!

Posted 02/07/2010 06:37 AM   
I have the same problem on my 8600GT on the second DVI port.
Works fine on 182.50

Works fine on 182.50

Posted 04/15/2010 07:15 PM   
Works fine on 182.50

Works fine on 182.50

Posted 04/15/2010 07:15 PM   
Scroll To Top