AW2310 vs GD245HQ (GD235HQ)
  1 / 5    
Hello

I doubt any1 has hold these two together and compared them.

But going from the specs, AW2310 400 cd/m2 3 ms, GD245HQ 300cd/m2 2 ms. Higher brightness or faster responce both dont solve ghosting so it doesnt matter ?

Or perhaps Alienware has better drivers for 3D vision(read this somewhere)

Its just a hard decision to make, both about same price.(Seems the AW2310 is actually 140 euros more, doubt its worth to pay 140 euros for a Alienware badge) But guess you would only be able to decide if you could actually test them if you had em both.

Maybe any1 got a link from some1 who tested em both ?
Hello

I doubt any1 has hold these two together and compared them.

But going from the specs, AW2310 400 cd/m2 3 ms, GD245HQ 300cd/m2 2 ms. Higher brightness or faster responce both dont solve ghosting so it doesnt matter ?

Or perhaps Alienware has better drivers for 3D vision(read this somewhere)

Its just a hard decision to make, both about same price.(Seems the AW2310 is actually 140 euros more, doubt its worth to pay 140 euros for a Alienware badge) But guess you would only be able to decide if you could actually test them if you had em both.

Maybe any1 got a link from some1 who tested em both ?

Posted 02/06/2010 06:42 PM   
I just received the Alienware in and have done 3d with it with my MSI 285 GTX... it works amazing and the monitor is great

I have also ordered the new Acer monitor to compare the two side by side...

If this thread is still open mid of next week I will write a review in here after I have tested both on my system.

-the one and only gekko
I just received the Alienware in and have done 3d with it with my MSI 285 GTX... it works amazing and the monitor is great

If this thread is still open mid of next week I will write a review in here after I have tested both on my system.

-the one and only gekko

Posted 02/06/2010 08:59 PM   
[quote name='gekko3558' post='996640' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:59 PM']I just received the Alienware in and have done 3d with it with my MSI 285 GTX... it works amazing and the monitor is great

-the one and only gekko[/quote]
Very nice, looking forward to it. The review on the 3d vision blog shows some promise, but not ready to commit until I hear more. Keeping my money for a VT25 plasma in the mean time. (Andrew, please get those certified before market release!)
[quote name='gekko3558' post='996640' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:59 PM']I just received the Alienware in and have done 3d with it with my MSI 285 GTX... it works amazing and the monitor is great

-the one and only gekko

Very nice, looking forward to it. The review on the 3d vision blog shows some promise, but not ready to commit until I hear more. Keeping my money for a VT25 plasma in the mean time. (Andrew, please get those certified before market release!)

Posted 02/06/2010 09:16 PM   
[quote name='gekko3558' post='996640' date='Feb 6 2010, 08:59 PM']I just received the Alienware in and have done 3d with it with my MSI 285 GTX... it works amazing and the monitor is great

-the one and only gekko[/quote]

Ooooooo great news, would be awesome to hear your verdict /banana.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':banana:' />

I still dont know wether to throw this money at the Acer and 3d tech......... so your input should help /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />
[quote name='gekko3558' post='996640' date='Feb 6 2010, 08:59 PM']I just received the Alienware in and have done 3d with it with my MSI 285 GTX... it works amazing and the monitor is great

-the one and only gekko

Ooooooo great news, would be awesome to hear your verdict /banana.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':banana:' />

I still dont know wether to throw this money at the Acer and 3d tech......... so your input should help /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

Posted 02/07/2010 01:11 PM   
Since I'm coming up from a Samsung sync master it's a no brainer for me. ACER. Not gonna spend 100+ for more or less the same performance. Allready wasited the money and upgraded. the Alienware would need to offer 25% better results before I was to dump 100 bucks more that way.
Since I'm coming up from a Samsung sync master it's a no brainer for me. ACER. Not gonna spend 100+ for more or less the same performance. Allready wasited the money and upgraded. the Alienware would need to offer 25% better results before I was to dump 100 bucks more that way.

Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.60GHZ

16 gig Ram

2 EVGA GTX 690 4gig (2X2) (1 currently in my other Rig)
PhysX GTX 570 (1 in each of my rigs with 1 GTX 690)
3 X ASUS VG278HE + Acer GD235HZ + Samsung SyncMaster (off to the side)

Nvidia 3Dvision

Windows 7 64bit

Posted 02/07/2010 03:49 PM   
Alienware monitor is worth it. Played halo 2 last night, even that game works flawless at low depth and the convergence turned up a little. /sorcerer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sorcerer:' />
Alienware monitor is worth it. Played halo 2 last night, even that game works flawless at low depth and the convergence turned up a little. /sorcerer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sorcerer:' />

Intel Core i7 940 2.93 to 3.2GHz

ASUS Rampage III Extreme MB

EVGA GTX 480

Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR3 2000MHz

Antec Quattro 1200W PSU

EK GPU block Acetal/Nickel

Heatkiller 3.0 CPU block

Swift tech/Koolance block Pump

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Alienware OptX AW2310 23"

Corsair Obsidian 800D

Posted 02/07/2010 04:02 PM   
[quote name='crimsonland1' post='997042' date='Feb 7 2010, 10:02 AM']Alienware monitor is worth it. Played halo 2 last night, even that game works flawless at low depth and the convergence turned up a little. /sorcerer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sorcerer:' />[/quote]

I got the alienware monitor. Even gaming in 2d (3d is fun but when i get competitive no sir it wont cut it) this monitor kicks ace. The lack of motion blur due to the good response and refresh makes a big difference in CSS and the color quality is top notch with very little bleed.
[quote name='crimsonland1' post='997042' date='Feb 7 2010, 10:02 AM']Alienware monitor is worth it. Played halo 2 last night, even that game works flawless at low depth and the convergence turned up a little. /sorcerer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sorcerer:' />

I got the alienware monitor. Even gaming in 2d (3d is fun but when i get competitive no sir it wont cut it) this monitor kicks ace. The lack of motion blur due to the good response and refresh makes a big difference in CSS and the color quality is top notch with very little bleed.

Posted 02/07/2010 06:33 PM   
The extra 50 dollars for the Alienware (10% coupon easilly found on the web) is totally worth it. There are a ton of customizable options on the Alienware and it is much more astetichally pleasing to the eye. The acer has a 2ms response time and the Alienware has 3ms. However, both monitors run at 3ms in 3D mode. I have the Alienware and it is a phenomenal monitor for gaming. It seems to me that 1 negative review on these forums is the only thing that comes up when it comes to reviews for this monitor. That review gives it a bad rap. The person who wrote that review is clearly looking for things in the monitor that a gamer is not. Alienware makes gaming gear. I would never buy one of their computers because I can build my own for half the cost but they do provide quality. This monitor = quality. It is an excellent monitor for gamers.
The extra 50 dollars for the Alienware (10% coupon easilly found on the web) is totally worth it. There are a ton of customizable options on the Alienware and it is much more astetichally pleasing to the eye. The acer has a 2ms response time and the Alienware has 3ms. However, both monitors run at 3ms in 3D mode. I have the Alienware and it is a phenomenal monitor for gaming. It seems to me that 1 negative review on these forums is the only thing that comes up when it comes to reviews for this monitor. That review gives it a bad rap. The person who wrote that review is clearly looking for things in the monitor that a gamer is not. Alienware makes gaming gear. I would never buy one of their computers because I can build my own for half the cost but they do provide quality. This monitor = quality. It is an excellent monitor for gamers.

3930K @ 4.5 Water cooled

15 Gigs DDR 3 2133

GTX 680x2

Obsidian 800D

Silvertone St-1500 watt

OCZ Vertex 120 gig SSD

ASUS 27 inch 3D monitor 3D vision 2.

Posted 02/07/2010 07:01 PM   
Nice to know its awesome ( lol i want it /sweat.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sweat:' /> ) but this is more about a comparison not opinion, for all i know you could of upgraded from a CRT or something and be all "wow" about quality. Where as it could be conisderd crap by a gamer who has used lots of differnt gear/screens.

Just looking for a detailed non-opionated comparison. /play_ball.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':playball:' />
Nice to know its awesome ( lol i want it /sweat.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sweat:' /> ) but this is more about a comparison not opinion, for all i know you could of upgraded from a CRT or something and be all "wow" about quality. Where as it could be conisderd crap by a gamer who has used lots of differnt gear/screens.

Just looking for a detailed non-opionated comparison. /play_ball.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':playball:' />

Posted 02/07/2010 07:47 PM   
[quote name='Siberian_Khatru' post='997107' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:01 PM']The extra 50 dollars for the Alienware (10% coupon easilly found on the web) is totally worth it. There are a ton of customizable options on the Alienware and it is much more astetichally pleasing to the eye. The acer has a 2ms response time and the Alienware has 3ms. However, both monitors run at 3ms in 3D mode. I have the Alienware and it is a phenomenal monitor for gaming. It seems to me that 1 negative review on these forums is the only thing that comes up when it comes to reviews for this monitor. That review gives it a bad rap. The person who wrote that review is clearly looking for things in the monitor that a gamer is not. Alienware makes gaming gear. I would never buy one of their computers because I can build my own for half the cost but they do provide quality. This monitor = quality. It is an excellent monitor for gamers.[/quote]

Really nice feedback, but the thing you said about both screens being 3MS during 3D, where did you find that ?

Problem is AW2310 doesnt seem to be sold in my country and having it get shipped over gives alot of trouble when a problems shows up etc.
[quote name='Siberian_Khatru' post='997107' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:01 PM']The extra 50 dollars for the Alienware (10% coupon easilly found on the web) is totally worth it. There are a ton of customizable options on the Alienware and it is much more astetichally pleasing to the eye. The acer has a 2ms response time and the Alienware has 3ms. However, both monitors run at 3ms in 3D mode. I have the Alienware and it is a phenomenal monitor for gaming. It seems to me that 1 negative review on these forums is the only thing that comes up when it comes to reviews for this monitor. That review gives it a bad rap. The person who wrote that review is clearly looking for things in the monitor that a gamer is not. Alienware makes gaming gear. I would never buy one of their computers because I can build my own for half the cost but they do provide quality. This monitor = quality. It is an excellent monitor for gamers.

Really nice feedback, but the thing you said about both screens being 3MS during 3D, where did you find that ?

Problem is AW2310 doesnt seem to be sold in my country and having it get shipped over gives alot of trouble when a problems shows up etc.

Posted 02/07/2010 09:00 PM   
My mistake. I misread the 3D Vision blog review of the Acer monitor. "As with the previous generation of 120Hz 3D-ready displays the Acer GD245HQ is also using a fast response TN panel with 2ms response rate for the pixels compared to 3ms (for 3D mode) in the first generation." The Acer is 2ms compared to 3ms for the Alienware. Sorry guys.

To be honest, I was waiting for the Acer, but I found the 10% off and free shipping coupon for the alienware and I went for it. A side by side comparsion of the 2 will be interesting to read. I am not an alienware fan boy by any means. I just fell that the Alienware monitor has been given a negative vibe and I want everyone to know that it is a great monitor.

Regardless gaming in 3D is like going from ST to HD. It is truly makes a huge difference when playing a game that works well with the technology. There are some drawbacks though. I played half of Dragon Age with 3D enable and it was incredible. The game works wonderfully with 3D vision. I was hoping for the same experience with Mass Effect 2 but it is not the same. Mass Effect 2 in 3D has a lot of issues that make the experience less enjoyable. Now having experienced 3D vision I want to use it with all of my games. I find it hard to play games unless they are 3D now. Mass Effect 2 looks better in 3D than in 2D but it doesn't work perfectly. Now I wonder if I would have enjoyed the experience more if I had just started it in 2D. Playing in 2d provides a perfect experience but it lacks the visual flash of 3D. So now the question I am left with when it comes to games that aren't fully supported by 3D vision is do I accept a better looking flawed performance or a worse looking perfect 2D performance. I can't wait for the day (if it ever comes) when all games are 3D enabled by Nvidia or not.

Again, sorry for the 3ms vs. 2ms mistake.
My mistake. I misread the 3D Vision blog review of the Acer monitor. "As with the previous generation of 120Hz 3D-ready displays the Acer GD245HQ is also using a fast response TN panel with 2ms response rate for the pixels compared to 3ms (for 3D mode) in the first generation." The Acer is 2ms compared to 3ms for the Alienware. Sorry guys.

To be honest, I was waiting for the Acer, but I found the 10% off and free shipping coupon for the alienware and I went for it. A side by side comparsion of the 2 will be interesting to read. I am not an alienware fan boy by any means. I just fell that the Alienware monitor has been given a negative vibe and I want everyone to know that it is a great monitor.

Regardless gaming in 3D is like going from ST to HD. It is truly makes a huge difference when playing a game that works well with the technology. There are some drawbacks though. I played half of Dragon Age with 3D enable and it was incredible. The game works wonderfully with 3D vision. I was hoping for the same experience with Mass Effect 2 but it is not the same. Mass Effect 2 in 3D has a lot of issues that make the experience less enjoyable. Now having experienced 3D vision I want to use it with all of my games. I find it hard to play games unless they are 3D now. Mass Effect 2 looks better in 3D than in 2D but it doesn't work perfectly. Now I wonder if I would have enjoyed the experience more if I had just started it in 2D. Playing in 2d provides a perfect experience but it lacks the visual flash of 3D. So now the question I am left with when it comes to games that aren't fully supported by 3D vision is do I accept a better looking flawed performance or a worse looking perfect 2D performance. I can't wait for the day (if it ever comes) when all games are 3D enabled by Nvidia or not.

Again, sorry for the 3ms vs. 2ms mistake.

3930K @ 4.5 Water cooled

15 Gigs DDR 3 2133

GTX 680x2

Obsidian 800D

Silvertone St-1500 watt

OCZ Vertex 120 gig SSD

Posted 02/08/2010 04:25 AM   
Yeah, the guy who originally reviewed the Alienware monitor was pretty critical. Testing color levels, and such.

Honestly, I could care less. I just want it to look good, and I'd wager most people fall in that boat. That's why it's a shame that your average gamer will read his review and decide not to buy a quality monitor.
Yeah, the guy who originally reviewed the Alienware monitor was pretty critical. Testing color levels, and such.

Honestly, I could care less. I just want it to look good, and I'd wager most people fall in that boat. That's why it's a shame that your average gamer will read his review and decide not to buy a quality monitor.

Posted 02/08/2010 06:00 AM   
[quote name='Chukibu' post='997339' date='Feb 8 2010, 06:00 AM']Yeah, the guy who originally reviewed the Alienware monitor was pretty critical. Testing color levels, and such.[/quote]

well... I can see where you're coming from, but I understand their point of view as well. At the end of the day, a monitor should be able to perform its basic function, which is, you know, to display properly. At this premium price one can't be blamed for expecting at least the same level of quality as their 60Hz counterparts. Don't forget that not all people who buy a 120 Hz display will use it for games, and not everbody who use it for games will play in 3D. Finally, even those dying after 3D vision won't use it for that 100% of the time.
[quote name='Chukibu' post='997339' date='Feb 8 2010, 06:00 AM']Yeah, the guy who originally reviewed the Alienware monitor was pretty critical. Testing color levels, and such.

well... I can see where you're coming from, but I understand their point of view as well. At the end of the day, a monitor should be able to perform its basic function, which is, you know, to display properly. At this premium price one can't be blamed for expecting at least the same level of quality as their 60Hz counterparts. Don't forget that not all people who buy a 120 Hz display will use it for games, and not everbody who use it for games will play in 3D. Finally, even those dying after 3D vision won't use it for that 100% of the time.

Posted 02/08/2010 08:01 PM   
I have zero problems with using this monitor outside of gaming either. My previous monitor was a Samsung T240 HD which is an excellent monitor and I can easilly say that this Alienware is better in my opinion. That being said I don't do work and I don't watch movies on this computer. Someone who does may have a different opinion.
I have zero problems with using this monitor outside of gaming either. My previous monitor was a Samsung T240 HD which is an excellent monitor and I can easilly say that this Alienware is better in my opinion. That being said I don't do work and I don't watch movies on this computer. Someone who does may have a different opinion.

3930K @ 4.5 Water cooled

15 Gigs DDR 3 2133

GTX 680x2

Obsidian 800D

Silvertone St-1500 watt

OCZ Vertex 120 gig SSD

Posted 02/08/2010 09:00 PM   
So hard to make a decision.

Even though the Acer is 1ms faster which should reduce ghosting people still agree AW2310 is the way to go.
So hard to make a decision.

Even though the Acer is 1ms faster which should reduce ghosting people still agree AW2310 is the way to go.

Posted 02/08/2010 09:13 PM   
  1 / 5    
Scroll To Top