The Unofficial NVIDIA SLI Technology User Reference Guide
  1 / 3    
New guide is available here: [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/532913/]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/532913/[/url]
New guide is available here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/532913/

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 02/04/2010 11:40 PM   
New guide is available here: [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/532913/]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/532913/[/url]

Posted 02/04/2010 11:42 PM   

Posted 02/04/2010 11:43 PM   
Excellent work! Scimmed through it and I will definitely read up on this later on before I ask any rhetorical questions! :)
Excellent work! Scimmed through it and I will definitely read up on this later on before I ask any rhetorical questions! :)

Posted 02/04/2010 11:57 PM   
Wow, excellent guide - signature linked :)

Its convinced me to spend a little more time tweaking the 3D settings especially, I have been rather too impatient in the past with my testing of how the changes affect performance.

J
Wow, excellent guide - signature linked :)

Its convinced me to spend a little more time tweaking the 3D settings especially, I have been rather too impatient in the past with my testing of how the changes affect performance.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 02/05/2010 05:27 PM   
Thanks guys. I should mention that the guide may be removed from viewing for brief periods of time, but when this happens it generally means I've moved it to our testing area where I can control HTML tags (which can't be done in the SLI Zone sub-forums.) I had originally written this for use on SLI Zone, where only the dark gray skin is used, but when we merged with the NVIDIA forums I found that a lot of the images were nearly invisible since I had used the PNG file format to preserve transparencies that made image creation easier for me, so now I have to use HTML to block-quote and use tables to color the guide in the intended viewing color. At any rate, it won't be down for long, and links to the thread won't be affected when it's returned to this forum.

Over the weekend I hope to introduce SLI AA (which somehow slipped by unnoticed, whoops) and insert some visual breaks in Section 3 since it's rather text-heavy, which I've tried to tone down compared to previous guides I've done.
Thanks guys. I should mention that the guide may be removed from viewing for brief periods of time, but when this happens it generally means I've moved it to our testing area where I can control HTML tags (which can't be done in the SLI Zone sub-forums.) I had originally written this for use on SLI Zone, where only the dark gray skin is used, but when we merged with the NVIDIA forums I found that a lot of the images were nearly invisible since I had used the PNG file format to preserve transparencies that made image creation easier for me, so now I have to use HTML to block-quote and use tables to color the guide in the intended viewing color. At any rate, it won't be down for long, and links to the thread won't be affected when it's returned to this forum.

Over the weekend I hope to introduce SLI AA (which somehow slipped by unnoticed, whoops) and insert some visual breaks in Section 3 since it's rather text-heavy, which I've tried to tone down compared to previous guides I've done.

Posted 02/05/2010 05:42 PM   
How much time do you have invested into this ? This is just so people that read through this thread will understand the time and effort that goes into this type of thing. Many dont appreciate the amount of time and effort put forth into all of the personal testing by forum members and Mods alike.

I also linked this into my signature. And Andrew this is another fine tribute to Chris. But thank you for all of the personal time you put in here trying to make the forums a better place for us all. this isnt said enough when it matters.
How much time do you have invested into this ? This is just so people that read through this thread will understand the time and effort that goes into this type of thing. Many dont appreciate the amount of time and effort put forth into all of the personal testing by forum members and Mods alike.

I also linked this into my signature. And Andrew this is another fine tribute to Chris. But thank you for all of the personal time you put in here trying to make the forums a better place for us all. this isnt said enough when it matters.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 02/05/2010 05:58 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='995964' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:58 PM']How much time do you have invested into this ? This is just so people that read through this thread will understand the time and effort that goes into this type of thing. Many dont appreciate the amount of time and effort put forth into all of the personal testing by forum members and Mods alike.

I also linked this into my signature. And Andrew this is another fine tribute to Chris. But thank you for all of the personal time you put in here trying to make the forums a better place for us all. this isnt said enough when it matters.[/quote]

In retrospect, probably too much, haha. This has been in a work in progress for well over a year, having been redone on several occasions; data for graphs re-tested nearly a dozen times (which will probably be updated again when I get some free time,) whole sections written then removed or condensed, visual cues reworked, technical aspects refined and updated... The list goes on. There was a lot to maintain, and there still is, but to give you a date it has occupied space on my HDDs since the beginning of November, 2008. Granted not [i]all[/i] of the time between then and now was spent working on it, as personal and work-related complications soaked up my attention fairly often. Part of the guide that I wanted to include I'm having to hold off on until a yet-unannounced project with NVIDIA is completed, but I got tired of the bitrot and simply cut it out for now.

You have my many thanks for your continued support, EG. It is deeply appreciated.
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='995964' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:58 PM']How much time do you have invested into this ? This is just so people that read through this thread will understand the time and effort that goes into this type of thing. Many dont appreciate the amount of time and effort put forth into all of the personal testing by forum members and Mods alike.

In retrospect, probably too much, haha. This has been in a work in progress for well over a year, having been redone on several occasions; data for graphs re-tested nearly a dozen times (which will probably be updated again when I get some free time,) whole sections written then removed or condensed, visual cues reworked, technical aspects refined and updated... The list goes on. There was a lot to maintain, and there still is, but to give you a date it has occupied space on my HDDs since the beginning of November, 2008. Granted not all of the time between then and now was spent working on it, as personal and work-related complications soaked up my attention fairly often. Part of the guide that I wanted to include I'm having to hold off on until a yet-unannounced project with NVIDIA is completed, but I got tired of the bitrot and simply cut it out for now.

You have my many thanks for your continued support, EG. It is deeply appreciated.

Posted 02/05/2010 06:15 PM   
Read this for the 3rd time, really went into detail and perfect explanation. /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />
Read this for the 3rd time, really went into detail and perfect explanation. /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

Posted 02/05/2010 07:03 PM   
I was wondering if and when you were going to post this. I still have a section of it in a txt file on my desktop.
I was wondering if and when you were going to post this. I still have a section of it in a txt file on my desktop.

Posted 02/05/2010 08:40 PM   
[quote name='420Ryme' post='996034' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:40 PM']I was wondering if and when you were going to post this. I still have a section of it in a txt file on my desktop.[/quote]

Heh, yeah. The project stagnated for a few months while I was distracted in helping NVIDIA in the forum merge and other matters, and after that it because an issue of not having enough time. In light of recent events, though, I figured it was complete enough to finally release. Not to mention it seemed like a fitting tribute to Chris' legacy.
[quote name='420Ryme' post='996034' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:40 PM']I was wondering if and when you were going to post this. I still have a section of it in a txt file on my desktop.

Heh, yeah. The project stagnated for a few months while I was distracted in helping NVIDIA in the forum merge and other matters, and after that it because an issue of not having enough time. In light of recent events, though, I figured it was complete enough to finally release. Not to mention it seemed like a fitting tribute to Chris' legacy.

Posted 02/05/2010 08:45 PM   
I too have been anticipating this document, and after spending the last hour reading it I can say I'm in no way disapointed. Having been roaming around these forums for a while now, I was starting to think of SLI less and less as 'magic' and starting to understand how it actually works. From reading this review I can see I still have a massive amount to learn :). Huge props to Exitios for authoring an outstanding piece of informative literature [the likes of which you just don't get on wiki !], and also for such a fitting tribute to Chris.
I know I probably sound like I'm creeping round the teacher for extra marks here, but I just feel like it has to be said.. You should be proud of yourself Exitios, 'cus I'm proud of you.
I too have been anticipating this document, and after spending the last hour reading it I can say I'm in no way disapointed. Having been roaming around these forums for a while now, I was starting to think of SLI less and less as 'magic' and starting to understand how it actually works. From reading this review I can see I still have a massive amount to learn :). Huge props to Exitios for authoring an outstanding piece of informative literature [the likes of which you just don't get on wiki !], and also for such a fitting tribute to Chris.

I know I probably sound like I'm creeping round the teacher for extra marks here, but I just feel like it has to be said.. You should be proud of yourself Exitios, 'cus I'm proud of you.

Posted 02/05/2010 10:37 PM   
Very nice guide Exitios, I'm sure it will come in handy for alot of people.
I especially liked the part in the third section describing the 3d settings menu, I have been through that menu tons of times and I have had to google most of whats in there at one point.. NVIDIA's quick descriptions are good for starters, but the way you put it in the guide is awesome. The extensive look at v-sync with triple buffer is nice as well, I think v-sync is one of the least used features in the control panel, everyone always wants more. As I saw there were more settings in the Sli performance mode, for triple sli and quad sli :ninja:

I see you want to fill up some of the text with some demo's of some sort? I came accross this a while ago when the 185 driver came out and was wondering if this is something possible for all the settings , a before and after effect? [url="http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ambientocclusion_home.html"]http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ambientocclusion_home.html[/url]

But anyways /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> again for the informative guide it really shows how much you and Chris put into this community,
it is much appreciated, as well a big thanks to all the other contributors.
[img]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/jdoyle26/pPETS-5934543_alternate1_t400.jpg[/img]
Very nice guide Exitios, I'm sure it will come in handy for alot of people.

I especially liked the part in the third section describing the 3d settings menu, I have been through that menu tons of times and I have had to google most of whats in there at one point.. NVIDIA's quick descriptions are good for starters, but the way you put it in the guide is awesome. The extensive look at v-sync with triple buffer is nice as well, I think v-sync is one of the least used features in the control panel, everyone always wants more. As I saw there were more settings in the Sli performance mode, for triple sli and quad sli :ninja:

I see you want to fill up some of the text with some demo's of some sort? I came accross this a while ago when the 185 driver came out and was wondering if this is something possible for all the settings , a before and after effect? http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ambientocclusion_home.html

But anyways /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> again for the informative guide it really shows how much you and Chris put into this community,

it is much appreciated, as well a big thanks to all the other contributors.

Posted 02/06/2010 07:44 AM   
Yummy! *does the happy dance*

JieMan - Something like that would be nice, but the forum has a maximum of 10 [IMG]s per post. A few items have comparisons linked in their descriptions (SSAO, AA, AF should be getting one soon, etc.) but I do agree that some before-after contrasts would help represent the information in a more readily digestible format, not to mention it'd be a little more friendly on the eyes. The weekend is looking fairly busy, though, so I can't say when they might be added.

Obone - D'aw. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and I'm already warm and fuzzy on the outside!) Want some of my rawhide bone? :[i][/i]P
Yummy! *does the happy dance*

JieMan - Something like that would be nice, but the forum has a maximum of 10 [IMG]s per post. A few items have comparisons linked in their descriptions (SSAO, AA, AF should be getting one soon, etc.) but I do agree that some before-after contrasts would help represent the information in a more readily digestible format, not to mention it'd be a little more friendly on the eyes. The weekend is looking fairly busy, though, so I can't say when they might be added.

Obone - D'aw. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and I'm already warm and fuzzy on the outside!) Want some of my rawhide bone? :[i][/i]P

Posted 02/06/2010 04:25 PM   
[quote name='Exitios' post='996497' date='Feb 6 2010, 04:25 PM']Obone - D'aw. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and I'm already warm and fuzzy on the outside!) Want some of my rawhide bone? :[i][/i]P[/quote]

Hehe, you can't beat warm and fuzzy, as for the bone, no thanks I already ate /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> ..

[img]http://www.loonyasylum.net/imagehosting2/hosted/687741265474835.png[/img]

[quote name='Exitios' post='995970' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:15 PM']Part of the guide that I wanted to include I'm having to hold off on until a yet-unannounced project with NVIDIA is completed,[/quote]

*Intrigued look*.
[quote name='Exitios' post='996497' date='Feb 6 2010, 04:25 PM']Obone - D'aw. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and I'm already warm and fuzzy on the outside!) Want some of my rawhide bone? :[i][/i]P

Hehe, you can't beat warm and fuzzy, as for the bone, no thanks I already ate /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' /> ..

[quote name='Exitios' post='995970' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:15 PM']Part of the guide that I wanted to include I'm having to hold off on until a yet-unannounced project with NVIDIA is completed,

*Intrigued look*.

Posted 02/06/2010 04:58 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top