Is my Graphics Card Dead?
I assume that my graphics card has died, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to get a second opinion before I go out and buy new hardware.

Currently have a Geforce 8800 GTS. After a system lockout last night, there are now various types of multi-color lines on my monitor. This affects everything, from BIOS to Windows XP, though the lines will change positions slightly or change into mutli-color boxes when rebooting. The system will still lock up after a few minutes of use, though Windows typically will load.

After attempting to install the latest drivers, the installer failed and old drivers were reinstalled instead. After that, the graphics card was no longer fully recognized by Windows XP (it recognizes that there's something in the PCI slot, and it displays output to my monitor, but that's about all - lines are still present and lockouts still occur).

I initially thought the card may have been overheating (similar symptoms) but keeping the system off overnight removed the lines for about 5 minutes before my system locked up, and the lines reappeared. No luck with more circulation / opening up the case and so on.

Is my video card dead? I'm fairly certain that it's the card and not my monitor - can't test unfortunately - but I was curious if there's anything else I should try before heading off to Newegg. Not exactly a computer expert, so thanks in advance :]
I assume that my graphics card has died, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to get a second opinion before I go out and buy new hardware.

Currently have a Geforce 8800 GTS. After a system lockout last night, there are now various types of multi-color lines on my monitor. This affects everything, from BIOS to Windows XP, though the lines will change positions slightly or change into mutli-color boxes when rebooting. The system will still lock up after a few minutes of use, though Windows typically will load.

After attempting to install the latest drivers, the installer failed and old drivers were reinstalled instead. After that, the graphics card was no longer fully recognized by Windows XP (it recognizes that there's something in the PCI slot, and it displays output to my monitor, but that's about all - lines are still present and lockouts still occur).

I initially thought the card may have been overheating (similar symptoms) but keeping the system off overnight removed the lines for about 5 minutes before my system locked up, and the lines reappeared. No luck with more circulation / opening up the case and so on.

Is my video card dead? I'm fairly certain that it's the card and not my monitor - can't test unfortunately - but I was curious if there's anything else I should try before heading off to Newegg. Not exactly a computer expert, so thanks in advance :]

Posted 01/29/2010 02:08 PM   
If you have distortion before you get a windows login screen then your GPU is damaged. The drivers dont kick in untill the OS loads, before the OS loads you are running standard windows drivers. So its not a driver issue.

Sorry to say I believe your hardware requires replacement.
If you have distortion before you get a windows login screen then your GPU is damaged. The drivers dont kick in untill the OS loads, before the OS loads you are running standard windows drivers. So its not a driver issue.

Sorry to say I believe your hardware requires replacement.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 01/29/2010 02:22 PM   
What about error code's?
What about error code's?

Posted 01/29/2010 02:29 PM   
I did not receive any sort of error when my system froze up or when booting. When installing, the installation did complete, but the installer (the generic file downloaded for Geforce 8 series cards for Windows XP off the Nvidia site) notified me that the latest drivers could not complete installation and would be reverted to last known working drivers, and the installation of those old drivers were successful.

Is there any sort of error log I should pull up? I'm confident it's dead at this point but always open to the possibility that it's salvagable.

@Extreme: thanks.
I did not receive any sort of error when my system froze up or when booting. When installing, the installation did complete, but the installer (the generic file downloaded for Geforce 8 series cards for Windows XP off the Nvidia site) notified me that the latest drivers could not complete installation and would be reverted to last known working drivers, and the installation of those old drivers were successful.

Is there any sort of error log I should pull up? I'm confident it's dead at this point but always open to the possibility that it's salvagable.

@Extreme: thanks.

Posted 01/29/2010 02:45 PM   
If you are running Vista or Win 7 go into the event viewer under admin tools and any errors will be logged there. And inspection of those errors could net some useful info.
If you are running Vista or Win 7 go into the event viewer under admin tools and any errors will be logged there. And inspection of those errors could net some useful info.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 01/29/2010 04:11 PM   
I have had similar problems with my card... it looks like a complete hardware failure... however, if you down grade your nvidia drivers to 186.18 this should fix the problem.

You may have to boot in safe mode to uninstall whatever drivers you have. This is a big problem and you're not alone, I'm not sure why NVIDIA didn't fix this in the latest release.

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=155857&pid=991522&st=0&#entry991522"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry991522[/url]
Check here to.
I have had similar problems with my card... it looks like a complete hardware failure... however, if you down grade your nvidia drivers to 186.18 this should fix the problem.

You may have to boot in safe mode to uninstall whatever drivers you have. This is a big problem and you're not alone, I'm not sure why NVIDIA didn't fix this in the latest release.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry991522

Check here to.

Posted 01/30/2010 07:15 AM   
Scroll To Top