geforce fx 5200 driver
Recently I had some windows 7 updates and I noticed one was for my graphics card so I included it. It said it was from nvidia as well. After installing the updates, I had to restart my pc. After doing so I was noticing flashing lines on my screen and then the pc would periodically freeze up. Only way to recover from it was to hold in the power button to shut it down. I originally thought it was an extra hard drive I had connected as there were previous issues with it but I removed it and it was doing the same thing. I decided to go the extra mile and format my pc thinking there was really something wrong. After getting the same update (I installed them one at a time from Windows update) for the graphics card, it started doing it again. I know it is the driver, I then uninstalled the driver (now using a crappy generic one that does not support the resolution I need which is 1600x900) and downloaded the latest from the nvidia site and same results.

Is there something going on with the latest driver that would cause this that is already a known issue? Since uninstalling the driver, I have had no issues what so ever. Only bad thing is that now the screen looks blown up in my face since I can not use the recommended resolution for my monitor. On a side note, I do not use my pc for gaming so I am not using up memory or resources for stuff like that. My pc is for web/app development, web browsing and email.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!
Recently I had some windows 7 updates and I noticed one was for my graphics card so I included it. It said it was from nvidia as well. After installing the updates, I had to restart my pc. After doing so I was noticing flashing lines on my screen and then the pc would periodically freeze up. Only way to recover from it was to hold in the power button to shut it down. I originally thought it was an extra hard drive I had connected as there were previous issues with it but I removed it and it was doing the same thing. I decided to go the extra mile and format my pc thinking there was really something wrong. After getting the same update (I installed them one at a time from Windows update) for the graphics card, it started doing it again. I know it is the driver, I then uninstalled the driver (now using a crappy generic one that does not support the resolution I need which is 1600x900) and downloaded the latest from the nvidia site and same results.

Is there something going on with the latest driver that would cause this that is already a known issue? Since uninstalling the driver, I have had no issues what so ever. Only bad thing is that now the screen looks blown up in my face since I can not use the recommended resolution for my monitor. On a side note, I do not use my pc for gaming so I am not using up memory or resources for stuff like that. My pc is for web/app development, web browsing and email.

Posted 01/27/2010 12:06 PM   
[quote name='johnkirchner' post='989936' date='Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM']Recently I had some windows 7 updates and I noticed one was for my graphics card so I included it. It said it was from nvidia as well. After installing the updates, I had to restart my pc. After doing so I was noticing flashing lines on my screen and then the pc would periodically freeze up. Only way to recover from it was to hold in the power button to shut it down. I originally thought it was an extra hard drive I had connected as there were previous issues with it but I removed it and it was doing the same thing. I decided to go the extra mile and format my pc thinking there was really something wrong. After getting the same update (I installed them one at a time from Windows update) for the graphics card, it started doing it again. I know it is the driver, I then uninstalled the driver (now using a crappy generic one that does not support the resolution I need which is 1600x900) and downloaded the latest from the nvidia site and same results.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

if its an agp 5200, anything past 175.xx will cause these issues.
[quote name='johnkirchner' post='989936' date='Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM']Recently I had some windows 7 updates and I noticed one was for my graphics card so I included it. It said it was from nvidia as well. After installing the updates, I had to restart my pc. After doing so I was noticing flashing lines on my screen and then the pc would periodically freeze up. Only way to recover from it was to hold in the power button to shut it down. I originally thought it was an extra hard drive I had connected as there were previous issues with it but I removed it and it was doing the same thing. I decided to go the extra mile and format my pc thinking there was really something wrong. After getting the same update (I installed them one at a time from Windows update) for the graphics card, it started doing it again. I know it is the driver, I then uninstalled the driver (now using a crappy generic one that does not support the resolution I need which is 1600x900) and downloaded the latest from the nvidia site and same results.

if its an agp 5200, anything past 175.xx will cause these issues.

Posted 01/27/2010 12:13 PM   
[quote name='bigirb2006' post='989940' date='Jan 27 2010, 06:13 AM']if its an agp 5200, anything past 175.xx will cause these issues.[/quote]

Like I said, it worked perfectly before the update. Is there a place to get the previous drivers?

Thank you for your input!
[quote name='bigirb2006' post='989940' date='Jan 27 2010, 06:13 AM']if its an agp 5200, anything past 175.xx will cause these issues.

Like I said, it worked perfectly before the update. Is there a place to get the previous drivers?

Thank you for your input!

Posted 01/28/2010 10:13 PM   
I found my old pc system restore disk that had the original drivers for xp. I installed them but still not the same. I at least have a better resolution. Those were the drivers I have always used but whenever an update came out from Windows update, I always updated them. It ran perfectly (with the correct resolution I need) until this last update. I would like to know what the previous version was to this very last update.
I found my old pc system restore disk that had the original drivers for xp. I installed them but still not the same. I at least have a better resolution. Those were the drivers I have always used but whenever an update came out from Windows update, I always updated them. It ran perfectly (with the correct resolution I need) until this last update. I would like to know what the previous version was to this very last update.

Posted 01/28/2010 11:29 PM   
i don't know, i've never been idiotic enough to use windows update for display drivers.
i don't know, i've never been idiotic enough to use windows update for display drivers.

Posted 01/29/2010 06:39 AM   
I would suggest updating your graphics card to a Geforce 6 series GPU or higher. The GeforceFX family is not officially supported under Windows 7.
I would suggest updating your graphics card to a Geforce 6 series GPU or higher. The GeforceFX family is not officially supported under Windows 7.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 01/29/2010 08:40 AM   
[quote name='bigirb2006' post='991256' date='Jan 29 2010, 12:39 AM']i don't know, i've never been idiotic enough to use windows update for display drivers.[/quote]

Wow, nice advice...jerk off. Since you appear to be the idiot and need educated, Windows update uses drivers SUPPLIED to them from manufacturers so it is no different than downloading them from the source. Oh wait, I believe I posted that I did that as well already. You chose to be a dick about it and make a retarded post to show your true ignorance and offer no help whatsoever.

Anyways, go ahead...modify or delete my post as I will not be coming back here as I can see what kind of community support there is. Even if I upgrade my card, sure wont be nvidia at this rate as the drivers directly before the last update worked perfectly. Thanks for wasting my time as I was hoping for some real answers.
[quote name='bigirb2006' post='991256' date='Jan 29 2010, 12:39 AM']i don't know, i've never been idiotic enough to use windows update for display drivers.

Wow, nice advice...jerk off. Since you appear to be the idiot and need educated, Windows update uses drivers SUPPLIED to them from manufacturers so it is no different than downloading them from the source. Oh wait, I believe I posted that I did that as well already. You chose to be a dick about it and make a retarded post to show your true ignorance and offer no help whatsoever.

Anyways, go ahead...modify or delete my post as I will not be coming back here as I can see what kind of community support there is. Even if I upgrade my card, sure wont be nvidia at this rate as the drivers directly before the last update worked perfectly. Thanks for wasting my time as I was hoping for some real answers.

Posted 01/29/2010 11:08 AM   
[quote]Wow, nice advice...jerk off. Since you appear to be the idiot and need educated, Windows update uses drivers SUPPLIED[/quote]

First off, i wasn't calling you an idiot, however using windows update drivers pertains to idiotic behavior.
Second, The majority of experienced users here, have experienced problems using Windows Update drivers, namely because they are near impossible to remove in many instances. (Hence why the view on idiocy being using windows update drivers)

[url="http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23021928-Drivers-from-Windows-Update-Yay-or-Nay"]http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23021928-...date-Yay-or-Nay[/url]
Wow, nice advice...jerk off. Since you appear to be the idiot and need educated, Windows update uses drivers SUPPLIED

First off, i wasn't calling you an idiot, however using windows update drivers pertains to idiotic behavior.

Second, The majority of experienced users here, have experienced problems using Windows Update drivers, namely because they are near impossible to remove in many instances. (Hence why the view on idiocy being using windows update drivers)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23021928-...date-Yay-or-Nay

Posted 01/29/2010 01:05 PM   
Scroll To Top