Notebook Powermizer Issues - Please post here
  1 / 46    
For those experiencing certain notebook issues which go away when disabling Powermizer, can you please post your system information here.

Specifically I am looking for the following information

1) Notebook make and model
2) Operating system
3) NVIDIA Display Driver Version
4) NVIDIA GPU
5) Detailed description of the problem. Provide as much details as possible
For those experiencing certain notebook issues which go away when disabling Powermizer, can you please post your system information here.

2) Operating system

4) NVIDIA GPU

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 01/25/2010 10:23 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' post='988707' date='Jan 25 2010, 05:23 PM']For those experiencing certain notebook issues which go away when disabling Powermizer, can you please post your system information here.

2) Operating system
4) NVIDIA GPU
5) Detailed description of the problem. Provide as much details as possible[/quote]

1) Sager NP8662 (Clevo M860TU)
2) Windows 7 64 bit
3) 195.62
4) GTX 260m
5) Each time the GPU throttles (observed with GPUz and/or EVEREST), it causes a DPC latency spike (~ 60k us in my case, measured with dpclat.exe) which causes sound glitches (audio crackling, popping, stuttering). I've tried all the Realtek and NVidia driver combinations, but the only efficient way to get rid of the problem is to stop the GPU from throttling (i.e. disabling Powermizer), or connecting an external monitor (which automatically switches the GPU to high performance and stops throttling).

I've seen hundreds of users complain about the same problem on various forums. We've all wasted a lot of our leisure time trying to find a solution... but we're not getting paid to do so, you are! :D Please, fix this!
[quote name='ManuelG' post='988707' date='Jan 25 2010, 05:23 PM']For those experiencing certain notebook issues which go away when disabling Powermizer, can you please post your system information here.

2) Operating system

4) NVIDIA GPU

1) Sager NP8662 (Clevo M860TU)

2) Windows 7 64 bit

3) 195.62

4) GTX 260m

5) Each time the GPU throttles (observed with GPUz and/or EVEREST), it causes a DPC latency spike (~ 60k us in my case, measured with dpclat.exe) which causes sound glitches (audio crackling, popping, stuttering). I've tried all the Realtek and NVidia driver combinations, but the only efficient way to get rid of the problem is to stop the GPU from throttling (i.e. disabling Powermizer), or connecting an external monitor (which automatically switches the GPU to high performance and stops throttling).

I've seen hundreds of users complain about the same problem on various forums. We've all wasted a lot of our leisure time trying to find a solution... but we're not getting paid to do so, you are! :D Please, fix this!

Posted 01/29/2010 03:13 AM   
1) Alienware M17x
2) Windows 7 64 Ultimate
3) 195.62
4) GTX 280m x 2
5) The unit pops and crackles when playing music, videos, games. Same issue as the poster above me. DPC latency spikes. Heavily discussed at the Notebookreview forums for Alienware m17x systems. Serious problem for such an expensive/awesome unit to have.

This is one of the many posts about the issue...
[url="http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=434691"]http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=434691[/url]
1) Alienware M17x

2) Windows 7 64 Ultimate

3) 195.62

4) GTX 280m x 2

5) The unit pops and crackles when playing music, videos, games. Same issue as the poster above me. DPC latency spikes. Heavily discussed at the Notebookreview forums for Alienware m17x systems. Serious problem for such an expensive/awesome unit to have.

This is one of the many posts about the issue...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=434691

Posted 01/29/2010 07:19 AM   
1) Toshiba A505-S6986
2) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
3) 8.15.11.8642 (7-23-2009) 186.42 64 bit
4) NVIDIA Geforce GT 230M
5) Due to powermizer throttling with the mixture of drivers and windows 7 of course GET high DPC LATENCY every 10-20 seconds of idle activity sitting at desktop with win7 aero enabled with system optimized and tweaked doing nothing. Used DPC Latency checker ver. 1.2 Chipset is Intel Cantiga GM45 using a intel T6600 cpu with power throttling as well and latest bios from toshiba! Due to DPC latency spikes and issues game audio and overall system audio will reverb and go slow motion and sound like a robot when the spikes occur during games and anything audio related in win7!!!! Audio chipset is realtek!

[quote name='ManuelG' post='988707' date='Jan 25 2010, 02:23 PM']For those experiencing certain notebook issues which go away when disabling Powermizer, can you please post your system information here.

2) Operating system
4) NVIDIA GPU
5) Detailed description of the problem. Provide as much details as possible[/quote]
1) Toshiba A505-S6986

2) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

3) 8.15.11.8642 (7-23-2009) 186.42 64 bit

4) NVIDIA Geforce GT 230M

5) Due to powermizer throttling with the mixture of drivers and windows 7 of course GET high DPC LATENCY every 10-20 seconds of idle activity sitting at desktop with win7 aero enabled with system optimized and tweaked doing nothing. Used DPC Latency checker ver. 1.2 Chipset is Intel Cantiga GM45 using a intel T6600 cpu with power throttling as well and latest bios from toshiba! Due to DPC latency spikes and issues game audio and overall system audio will reverb and go slow motion and sound like a robot when the spikes occur during games and anything audio related in win7!!!! Audio chipset is realtek!

[quote name='ManuelG' post='988707' date='Jan 25 2010, 02:23 PM']For those experiencing certain notebook issues which go away when disabling Powermizer, can you please post your system information here.

2) Operating system

4) NVIDIA GPU

Posted 01/29/2010 07:38 AM   
Thank you. I will check with the driver team and report back.
Thank you. I will check with the driver team and report back.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 01/29/2010 08:22 AM   
1) Alienware M17x
2) Windows 7 Pro 64
3) 195.62
4) GTX 260M x 2
5) The laptop has serious DPC latency cannot play games without stuttering same for music.Streaming music, U Tube is same.Making the M17x unusable in everyday things .when Gtx 260m sli downclock causes huge spikes in system.Tried every nVidia driver suitable for my system same bad results .Many M17x users have same issue with nVidia gpu combinatrions.
1) Alienware M17x

2) Windows 7 Pro 64

3) 195.62

4) GTX 260M x 2

5) The laptop has serious DPC latency cannot play games without stuttering same for music.Streaming music, U Tube is same.Making the M17x unusable in everyday things .when Gtx 260m sli downclock causes huge spikes in system.Tried every nVidia driver suitable for my system same bad results .Many M17x users have same issue with nVidia gpu combinatrions.

Alienware M17x Space Black | T9800 @ 3.5| Dual SLI GTX 260M | 4GB DDR3 |2x 512GB 7200 | SONY AD-7640S | 1920 x 1200 | Windows 7 Ulti 64 | nVidia 195.62 drivers |
Cooler Master Cosmos S | Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6800 @ 3.5 | GTX 295 | 8GB DDR2|2 x 300GB VelociRaptor RAID 0 + 1TB 7200 | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Win 7 Ulti 64| Hanns.G 28" |

Posted 01/29/2010 01:36 PM   
1) Alienware M17x Bios A03
2) Windows 7 64 Home Premium
3) 195.81
4) GTX 260M x 2
5) I am getting DLP spikes mainly on Down Clock of GPUs, which causes the audio stuttering. See here for a screen cap of the DLP, If I set the power option to performance the spikes go away but then the cards are running at full clocks all the time:
[url="http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=5777974&postcount=177"]http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=177[/url]

3) 195.81

4) GTX 260M x 2

5) I am getting DLP spikes mainly on Down Clock of GPUs, which causes the audio stuttering. See here for a screen cap of the DLP, If I set the power option to performance the spikes go away but then the cards are running at full clocks all the time:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=177

SFF Fractal Node MSI Z87 | i5-4670K | 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | 1TB Seagate Hybrid SSD/HDD| AW2310 Monitor |Win7 x64 |EVGA Tegra Note Tegra 4|HTC One X+ Tegra 3

Posted 01/29/2010 03:05 PM   
3) 186.64
4) GTX 280M x 2
5) huge DPC spikes once every 15-20 seconds if using laptop. If idle with nothing running, no spikes.

3) 186.64

4) GTX 280M x 2

5) huge DPC spikes once every 15-20 seconds if using laptop. If idle with nothing running, no spikes.

Alienware M17x, Intel C2D T9600@3.06GHZ, 4GB DDR3 1333, 2 x 500GB (RAID 0), NVidia 280M GTX SLI

Posted 01/29/2010 04:47 PM   
1) Notebook make and model: Alienware M17x Rev 1, Bios A03
2) Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (up to date)
3) NVIDIA Display Driver Version: Latest verde driver (have tried Dell driver and others - clean installed)
4) NVIDIA GPU - 2x 280m GTX and 9400m G in Hybrid SLI (stutter stops on power saver mode)
5) Detailed description of the problem. Provide as much details as possible:

On idle with nothing else running expect a media player I have a 15 second interval stutter. DPC Latency Checker shows spike of about 131,000. It is easily repeated.

I also get bigger occassional double spikes but its harder for me to relate them to anything.

If the 280m cards are off, there is no stutter.
1) Notebook make and model: Alienware M17x Rev 1, Bios A03

2) Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (up to date)

3) NVIDIA Display Driver Version: Latest verde driver (have tried Dell driver and others - clean installed)

4) NVIDIA GPU - 2x 280m GTX and 9400m G in Hybrid SLI (stutter stops on power saver mode)

5) Detailed description of the problem. Provide as much details as possible:

On idle with nothing else running expect a media player I have a 15 second interval stutter. DPC Latency Checker shows spike of about 131,000. It is easily repeated.

I also get bigger occassional double spikes but its harder for me to relate them to anything.

If the 280m cards are off, there is no stutter.

Posted 01/29/2010 05:12 PM   
1) Alienware (DELL) M17x R1 A03 Bios
2) Windows 7 Ultimate
3) Dell 186.64 WHQL, A02
4) Nvidia GTX 260M SLI and Integrated 9400M
5) Huge DPC Latency spikes every 5-20 seconds (almost 1 billion on some spikes), random system stuttering when doing anything (checking email, watching videos, downloading, playing games etc), audio popping and cracking when listening to CD's, MP3, playing games, watching videos etc..

When using the integrated 9400M I have less (and lower) spikes than when I enable the SLI 260M's which makes playing games (what this system is supposed to be made for) almost impossible and definitely not very enjoyable.

Many (but not all) of the DPC spikes are caused by powermizer.
1) Alienware (DELL) M17x R1 A03 Bios

2) Windows 7 Ultimate

3) Dell 186.64 WHQL, A02

4) Nvidia GTX 260M SLI and Integrated 9400M

5) Huge DPC Latency spikes every 5-20 seconds (almost 1 billion on some spikes), random system stuttering when doing anything (checking email, watching videos, downloading, playing games etc), audio popping and cracking when listening to CD's, MP3, playing games, watching videos etc..

When using the integrated 9400M I have less (and lower) spikes than when I enable the SLI 260M's which makes playing games (what this system is supposed to be made for) almost impossible and definitely not very enjoyable.

Many (but not all) of the DPC spikes are caused by powermizer.

Posted 01/29/2010 06:15 PM   
1) mySN XMG5 (Clevo M860TU)
2) Windows 7 64 bit
3) 196.32 beta modded and all official mobile drivers..
4) GTX 260m
5) Same as the first post.. stuttering with sound with powermizer on..

When i'm browsing firefox/google chrome it gets worse when loading pages with large pictures (jpeg) or flash..
Dpc latency program is a good software for confirming the hiccups..

Another thing is that my refreshrate (with Vsync on) is hardlocked to 59,5 were it has to be 60 in some of the applications.
Maybe this stutter has something to do with this.. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> (refreshrate says 60 in Nvidia config screen)

Be aware Nvidia if CLEVO, SAGER, ALIENWARE ETC need a bios or firmware update for their mobile geforce cards.. Please contact them if this is needed..
Otherwise off course, a driver solution will be fine..

Thank you for the support Nvidia..
1) mySN XMG5 (Clevo M860TU)

2) Windows 7 64 bit

3) 196.32 beta modded and all official mobile drivers..

4) GTX 260m

5) Same as the first post.. stuttering with sound with powermizer on..

When i'm browsing firefox/google chrome it gets worse when loading pages with large pictures (jpeg) or flash..

Dpc latency program is a good software for confirming the hiccups..

Another thing is that my refreshrate (with Vsync on) is hardlocked to 59,5 were it has to be 60 in some of the applications.

Maybe this stutter has something to do with this.. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> (refreshrate says 60 in Nvidia config screen)

Be aware Nvidia if CLEVO, SAGER, ALIENWARE ETC need a bios or firmware update for their mobile geforce cards.. Please contact them if this is needed..

Otherwise off course, a driver solution will be fine..

Thank you for the support Nvidia..

Posted 01/29/2010 06:41 PM   
1) Alienware M17X BIOS A03
2) Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
3) all drivers from 186.62 to 195.81
4) GTX 280M sli or with hybrid sli enabled (no difference)
5) DPC stuttering red spikes when listening to music and browsing at the same time or even randomly. Those spikes appear every 15 seconds under any cicumstance that may overclock the gpus of while they are downclocking (like after exiting a game). Red spikes and strong stuttering in games especially when graphics go demanding. And of course gtx 280M in sli can deal with them. Of course none of this occurs when i set performance mode to prefer performance on 195.xx driver series. This of course as you know keeps the gpus overclocked and of course as you know constant stressing of gpus reduces their life time.

NOTE: none driver can set hz of the screen to 60HZ on win7 x64. Thus can you confirm you work with Dell for this issue? Needless to say people with this machine and ATIs dont have those red spikes so take your responsibilities as soon as possible. But i guess you know that already
1) Alienware M17X BIOS A03

2) Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

3) all drivers from 186.62 to 195.81

4) GTX 280M sli or with hybrid sli enabled (no difference)

5) DPC stuttering red spikes when listening to music and browsing at the same time or even randomly. Those spikes appear every 15 seconds under any cicumstance that may overclock the gpus of while they are downclocking (like after exiting a game). Red spikes and strong stuttering in games especially when graphics go demanding. And of course gtx 280M in sli can deal with them. Of course none of this occurs when i set performance mode to prefer performance on 195.xx driver series. This of course as you know keeps the gpus overclocked and of course as you know constant stressing of gpus reduces their life time.

NOTE: none driver can set hz of the screen to 60HZ on win7 x64. Thus can you confirm you work with Dell for this issue? Needless to say people with this machine and ATIs dont have those red spikes so take your responsibilities as soon as possible. But i guess you know that already

Posted 01/29/2010 06:53 PM   
nVidia,

I'm using an Dell/Alienware M17x - A03 Bios and am having issues with my 280M GTX cards (SLI'd) in both Vista64 and Win7-64bit:

1) Dell Approved Driver 186.64 no longer downclocks both cards properly from 3D to 2D mode. Clocks for GPU #2 will remain @ default (583/950/1450) whereas GPU #1 will return to 200/100.

2) nVidia released 186.81 does downclock properly however when switching from 3D to 2D mode it will produce a DPC latency spike (during each phase of the downclock) disrupting audio playback. Anytime the cards downclock it produces audio stutter. (FYI - This driver will not install at all on M17x's running Win7).

3) Performance seems to be severely lacking on all of the 195 series drivers. I've had my 280s downclock to 2D mode mid-game causing very severe stuttering or even a hard crash. Also, their constant upclocking/downclocking produce audio stutter and severe disruption even when attempting to listen to MP3 files in both Windows Media Player and iTunes. This issue also causes professional audio programs (SoundForge, Acid, and Premier) to drop frames making them almost unusable.

As you can see from this thread on Notebook Review the issue appears to be VERY widespread:

[url="http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=408300"]http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=408300[/url]

Dell is supposed to have contacted your engineering folks regarding this issue (http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/11/18/dell-dpc-latency-and-you.aspx).

Also, your nForce Chipset Driver for the MCP79 needs to be investigated as well... The problem seems to be even worse for those running RAID 0.

It is now 'judgement day' with the Alienware owners... Most of us have dealt with this issue for almost a year. Enough is enough.. We EXPECT this to be fixed ASAP! We also expect that future driver versions will not resurect this issue.
nVidia,

I'm using an Dell/Alienware M17x - A03 Bios and am having issues with my 280M GTX cards (SLI'd) in both Vista64 and Win7-64bit:

1) Dell Approved Driver 186.64 no longer downclocks both cards properly from 3D to 2D mode. Clocks for GPU #2 will remain @ default (583/950/1450) whereas GPU #1 will return to 200/100.

2) nVidia released 186.81 does downclock properly however when switching from 3D to 2D mode it will produce a DPC latency spike (during each phase of the downclock) disrupting audio playback. Anytime the cards downclock it produces audio stutter. (FYI - This driver will not install at all on M17x's running Win7).

3) Performance seems to be severely lacking on all of the 195 series drivers. I've had my 280s downclock to 2D mode mid-game causing very severe stuttering or even a hard crash. Also, their constant upclocking/downclocking produce audio stutter and severe disruption even when attempting to listen to MP3 files in both Windows Media Player and iTunes. This issue also causes professional audio programs (SoundForge, Acid, and Premier) to drop frames making them almost unusable.

As you can see from this thread on Notebook Review the issue appears to be VERY widespread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=408300

Dell is supposed to have contacted your engineering folks regarding this issue (http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/11/18/dell-dpc-latency-and-you.aspx).

Also, your nForce Chipset Driver for the MCP79 needs to be investigated as well... The problem seems to be even worse for those running RAID 0.

It is now 'judgement day' with the Alienware owners... Most of us have dealt with this issue for almost a year. Enough is enough.. We EXPECT this to be fixed ASAP! We also expect that future driver versions will not resurect this issue.

Posted 01/29/2010 07:09 PM   
1) Clevo M980NU
2) Windows 7 64bit AND Windows Vista 64bit (happens with both)
3) 185.xx onwards
4) GTX280m SLI
5) Whenever either GPUs downclock, there is a large DPC latency spike, which causes a noticeable system stutter, or in some cases freezes for a few seconds. If I remove Nvidia GPU drivers, the issue instantly dissapears. I've reformatted about 15 times trying to cure this. I finally made the issue manageable by manually disabling powermizer via the registry, I also disable the Nvidia Display Driver Service. I've tried numerous driver revisions, and I KNOW, both Dell AND Clevo have contacted you over this issue. There is a major issue with your cards downclocking, and for mobile SLI...well guess what there's no reliable way to disable it. Your new Power Management Mode option, even if set to Maximum Performance under Global, DOES NOT reliably disable Powermizer on both cards, it just stops one card downclocking...yeah good game, that works well!
Im absolutely fed up of this issue, and given it affects a large number of Nvidia GTX2xx owners, and also affects both units with the MCP79 SLI mobile chipset [Alienware M17x and the Clevo M980NU], plus the issue dissapears if I remove your drivers and use windows VGA drivers, well it's pretty damned clear where the issue comes from. Your hardware and software DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY, I'm pretty sure issues with both the MCP79SLI aka 730I chipset,and the GTX2xxm series come into this.

I've been very patient with my vendor but I know from speaking to them, that they contacted you OVER TWO MONTHS AGO, on the DPC issue, they were able to reproduce it themselves. If the issue is not fixed soon, I will be swapping out to ATI mobile cards shortly, and I will not be buying another Nvidia card in the near future. Sounds harsh, but I'm fed up of your cack handed support so far on this issue.

PS BTW this is not related to Realtek audio...people with Creative cards also have the issue, and so do I with an external USB DAC solution, this is completely Nvidia related.
1) Clevo M980NU

2) Windows 7 64bit AND Windows Vista 64bit (happens with both)

3) 185.xx onwards

4) GTX280m SLI

5) Whenever either GPUs downclock, there is a large DPC latency spike, which causes a noticeable system stutter, or in some cases freezes for a few seconds. If I remove Nvidia GPU drivers, the issue instantly dissapears. I've reformatted about 15 times trying to cure this. I finally made the issue manageable by manually disabling powermizer via the registry, I also disable the Nvidia Display Driver Service. I've tried numerous driver revisions, and I KNOW, both Dell AND Clevo have contacted you over this issue. There is a major issue with your cards downclocking, and for mobile SLI...well guess what there's no reliable way to disable it. Your new Power Management Mode option, even if set to Maximum Performance under Global, DOES NOT reliably disable Powermizer on both cards, it just stops one card downclocking...yeah good game, that works well!

Im absolutely fed up of this issue, and given it affects a large number of Nvidia GTX2xx owners, and also affects both units with the MCP79 SLI mobile chipset [Alienware M17x and the Clevo M980NU], plus the issue dissapears if I remove your drivers and use windows VGA drivers, well it's pretty damned clear where the issue comes from. Your hardware and software DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY, I'm pretty sure issues with both the MCP79SLI aka 730I chipset,and the GTX2xxm series come into this.

I've been very patient with my vendor but I know from speaking to them, that they contacted you OVER TWO MONTHS AGO, on the DPC issue, they were able to reproduce it themselves. If the issue is not fixed soon, I will be swapping out to ATI mobile cards shortly, and I will not be buying another Nvidia card in the near future. Sounds harsh, but I'm fed up of your cack handed support so far on this issue.

PS BTW this is not related to Realtek audio...people with Creative cards also have the issue, and so do I with an external USB DAC solution, this is completely Nvidia related.

Posted 01/29/2010 08:20 PM   
1) Alienware M17x R1
2) Windows 7 64bit AND Windows Vista 64bit (happens on both)
3) 18x.xx onwards (dell drivers, nvidia, windows update drivers) I have tried everything since the release of the notebook.
4) GTX280m SLI with/without Hybrid
5) on a02 bios i would get 4-6k spikes ever other second and once withing every 10-15 seconds 16k+ spike. Sometimes the 16k+ spike would happen multiple times in a row causing a stutter in sound, and any program that I am using including games. I tried the a03 bios and most bars were green but every 10 sec I would get a 60k+ spike and without a doubt everything hesitated when this happened.. I have had this happen on both operating systems. I have run with the Nvidia chipset drivers and without using the Microsoft drivers and it still happens. It is definitely the way the software is working with the nvidia hardware when the GPUs are down clocking.. I dont have this issue on stealth mode when 280ms are disabled.

Dell says that they are working with your engineers on a resolution but i do not have much faith. The recent bios update was supposed to resolve it and it didnt...

I have been a loyal nvidia customer for years and never considered ATI. With this growing problem with NVIDIA i am seriously taking a second look at ATI going forward for all my GPU needs.
1) Alienware M17x R1

2) Windows 7 64bit AND Windows Vista 64bit (happens on both)

3) 18x.xx onwards (dell drivers, nvidia, windows update drivers) I have tried everything since the release of the notebook.

4) GTX280m SLI with/without Hybrid

5) on a02 bios i would get 4-6k spikes ever other second and once withing every 10-15 seconds 16k+ spike. Sometimes the 16k+ spike would happen multiple times in a row causing a stutter in sound, and any program that I am using including games. I tried the a03 bios and most bars were green but every 10 sec I would get a 60k+ spike and without a doubt everything hesitated when this happened.. I have had this happen on both operating systems. I have run with the Nvidia chipset drivers and without using the Microsoft drivers and it still happens. It is definitely the way the software is working with the nvidia hardware when the GPUs are down clocking.. I dont have this issue on stealth mode when 280ms are disabled.

Dell says that they are working with your engineers on a resolution but i do not have much faith. The recent bios update was supposed to resolve it and it didnt...

I have been a loyal nvidia customer for years and never considered ATI. With this growing problem with NVIDIA i am seriously taking a second look at ATI going forward for all my GPU needs.

Posted 01/29/2010 09:01 PM   
  1 / 46    
Scroll To Top