Newbie with GeForce FX 5500 drive problem
Newbie with GeForce FX 5500 driver problem

Hi all /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' /> ;

I'm new in the forums and I was hoping to have a solution with my problem. I currently am resurrecting an old pc an Athlon XP 2gb pc for purposes of beta-testing/software testing etc. I purchased an Inno3D Tornado Geforce FX 5500 256mb 128bit agp card to replace the existing Inno3D 64mb GeForce MX440 (driver version 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005). As I was installing the driver version 12.9 (came with the purchased agp card...(I installed the driver with my firewall and AV disabled) the display became "rainbowed" after the reboot.

I repeated the installation and it was still the same. I ended up using the old driver that the MX440 was using because the driver that came with the FX 5500 was not working and gave me a "rainbow" display. :(

I also downloaded the latest driver which is version 175.19 WHQL 2008.07.09 and installed it with the same result. Rainbow display after reboot. :(

I also tried out version 81.98 as suggested in a post in one of the google search results. It functioned and gave me a good display but froze when I was using PowerDVD and KMPlayer.

I ended up rolling back the driver to the version 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 with slipstreamed drivers installed (version 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005 included as in the CD that came with the 64mb Inno3D GeForce MX440)

I added a new hdd and formatted it with a different XP SP3 installation without a compatible driver for the FX 5500. I installed version 12.9 on it and it went through and upon reboot it was not "rainbowed" as in the previous installations I did. I haven't tested it yet there as it was meant to be a back-up drive and not a system disk. I just tried to install it in the new drive.

I assume that the driver cd with version 12.9 which came with the box "is" the recommended drivers for the FX 5500. Correct isn't it? Then why am I having problems with installing it? Am I doing somethng wrong?

Can someone here help me with this problem..please. I really need to make the AGP work since I bought it as a mild upgrade to the old pc I am resurrecting and I intend to use it and make my money worth.

Am I missing something here, say, in the installation process?

The old pc had the MX440 running smoothly and I took it out and popped in the new FX 5500 and installed the drivers with the AV and firewall disabled. Ran a reboot as instructed.

Is there a fix for this?

When I googled it there were a lot of suggestestions that I use "old drivers" instead of the driver which came with the FX 5500. Among the suggested were version 81.98, ver 56.72, ver 61.77.

When trying out drivers, is it okay to install-over the existing driver? I do this so I can do a rollback when the display goes haywire...Also when I installed version 12.9(in the CD) it asked me whether I will update or not the driver that is in the the system. I chose to update and when I got a "rainbow" after the reboot, I tried to perform a rollback but there was no driver to rollback anymore. I ended up doing system restore.

Have not yet tried versions 56.72 and 61.77 and opted to post here in the Nvidia forums for more help and ideas.

I am not much of a gamer but I do CAD/Statistical/Photo editing software and intend to use in the "pc for resurrection" which is also the reason why I replaced the 64mb and got the FX5500 with the 256mb.

As of the moment I removed the FX 5500 and returned the 64mb MX440. Just making a compete scan with Avira 9, Malwarebytes/SASpy the pc freezes with the FX 5500 installed using driver ver 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005. It even froze while I was defragging the drive. But using MX440 all was well no problem whatsoever. I have no hardware problems whatsoever having tested them all. I believe this is a driver problem.

Please help me on some tips and maybe procedures to make the driver work for me or the FX 5500 work better. What can I do further to help you guys help me more here.

Help!

Thanks you very much!

Best regards! :rolleyes:
Newbie with GeForce FX 5500 driver problem

I'm new in the forums and I was hoping to have a solution with my problem. I currently am resurrecting an old pc an Athlon XP 2gb pc for purposes of beta-testing/software testing etc. I purchased an Inno3D Tornado Geforce FX 5500 256mb 128bit agp card to replace the existing Inno3D 64mb GeForce MX440 (driver version 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005). As I was installing the driver version 12.9 (came with the purchased agp card...(I installed the driver with my firewall and AV disabled) the display became "rainbowed" after the reboot.

I repeated the installation and it was still the same. I ended up using the old driver that the MX440 was using because the driver that came with the FX 5500 was not working and gave me a "rainbow" display. :(

I also downloaded the latest driver which is version 175.19 WHQL 2008.07.09 and installed it with the same result. Rainbow display after reboot. :(

I also tried out version 81.98 as suggested in a post in one of the google search results. It functioned and gave me a good display but froze when I was using PowerDVD and KMPlayer.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 with slipstreamed drivers installed (version 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005 included as in the CD that came with the 64mb Inno3D GeForce MX440)

I added a new hdd and formatted it with a different XP SP3 installation without a compatible driver for the FX 5500. I installed version 12.9 on it and it went through and upon reboot it was not "rainbowed" as in the previous installations I did. I haven't tested it yet there as it was meant to be a back-up drive and not a system disk. I just tried to install it in the new drive.

I assume that the driver cd with version 12.9 which came with the box "is" the recommended drivers for the FX 5500. Correct isn't it? Then why am I having problems with installing it? Am I doing somethng wrong?

Can someone here help me with this problem..please. I really need to make the AGP work since I bought it as a mild upgrade to the old pc I am resurrecting and I intend to use it and make my money worth.

The old pc had the MX440 running smoothly and I took it out and popped in the new FX 5500 and installed the drivers with the AV and firewall disabled. Ran a reboot as instructed.

Is there a fix for this?

When I googled it there were a lot of suggestestions that I use "old drivers" instead of the driver which came with the FX 5500. Among the suggested were version 81.98, ver 56.72, ver 61.77.

When trying out drivers, is it okay to install-over the existing driver? I do this so I can do a rollback when the display goes haywire...Also when I installed version 12.9(in the CD) it asked me whether I will update or not the driver that is in the the system. I chose to update and when I got a "rainbow" after the reboot, I tried to perform a rollback but there was no driver to rollback anymore. I ended up doing system restore.

Have not yet tried versions 56.72 and 61.77 and opted to post here in the Nvidia forums for more help and ideas.

I am not much of a gamer but I do CAD/Statistical/Photo editing software and intend to use in the "pc for resurrection" which is also the reason why I replaced the 64mb and got the FX5500 with the 256mb.

As of the moment I removed the FX 5500 and returned the 64mb MX440. Just making a compete scan with Avira 9, Malwarebytes/SASpy the pc freezes with the FX 5500 installed using driver ver 7.1.8.9 driver date 4/1/2005. It even froze while I was defragging the drive. But using MX440 all was well no problem whatsoever. I have no hardware problems whatsoever having tested them all. I believe this is a driver problem.

Please help me on some tips and maybe procedures to make the driver work for me or the FX 5500 work better. What can I do further to help you guys help me more here.

Help!

Thanks you very much!

Posted 01/24/2010 06:26 PM   
[quote name='Dundertaker' post='987843' date='Jan 24 2010, 04:26 PM']Newbie with GeForce FX 5500 driver problem

Is there a fix for this?

Help!

Thanks you very much!

Best regards! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Try this: [url="http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html"]http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html[/url]
[quote name='Dundertaker' post='987843' date='Jan 24 2010, 04:26 PM']Newbie with GeForce FX 5500 driver problem

Is there a fix for this?

Help!

Thanks you very much!

Try this: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Posted 01/24/2010 09:47 PM   
Hi;

Thanks for the reply. I will try it out and get back in this forums for the results.

Regards!
Hi;

Thanks for the reply. I will try it out and get back in this forums for the results.

Regards!

Posted 01/26/2010 08:15 PM   
Scroll To Top