Windows 7 crashes with Nvidia drivers
I Recently upgraded my HP Pavillion DV9507tx laptop with Nvidia Gforce 8600M GS Graphics card from Windows Vista Home premium to Windows 7 X64

Initially i installed Windows vista X64 drivers available from hp website, the installation was smooth and the sytem was functioning well. But this lasted only for 5 days. The monitor showed random colors and it started flickering, the computer crashed with a blue screen saying "attempt to reset display drivers failed". On restart the computer would not go beyond windows loading and i had to go to safe mode uninstall the drivers then the laptop booted normally.
Then i downloaded the Windows 7 X64 drivers (195.62 WHQL) from nvidia site and installed that..there is a similar problem, the system would not boot beyond the windows loading. on unistallation in safe mode the boot proceeds normally.

im thinking it is an issue with the display driver.
Please advice.
I Recently upgraded my HP Pavillion DV9507tx laptop with Nvidia Gforce 8600M GS Graphics card from Windows Vista Home premium to Windows 7 X64

Initially i installed Windows vista X64 drivers available from hp website, the installation was smooth and the sytem was functioning well. But this lasted only for 5 days. The monitor showed random colors and it started flickering, the computer crashed with a blue screen saying "attempt to reset display drivers failed". On restart the computer would not go beyond windows loading and i had to go to safe mode uninstall the drivers then the laptop booted normally.

Then i downloaded the Windows 7 X64 drivers (195.62 WHQL) from nvidia site and installed that..there is a similar problem, the system would not boot beyond the windows loading. on unistallation in safe mode the boot proceeds normally.

Please advice.

Posted 01/13/2010 05:54 AM   
Hello, I have had the exact same problem, but with a different graphics card (8800 gtx).

I have 2 of the exact same computers and exchanged the 3D card between them (both these computers were originally running WinXP for 2 years, no problems).

I put the working card into my Windows 7 x64bit computer, and the problem went away. So it proved that there was significant damage done to the original 8800GTX card done by windows 7. This problem happened 3 days ago, and was fixed by getting a brand new GeForce GTS 250.

Here's the real kicker: Windows 7 x32bit was recently installed in the other aforementioned identical computer with the 8800gtx, and now THAT computer suffered the same problem with the graphical anomalies, ending up in a fouled up graphics card and only being able to log into safe mode. (I took the new Geforce GTS 250 and installed it on that computer and it worked, indicating that both geforce 8800gtx cards were destroyed in a 5 day period between eachother). Both systems had windows 7 installed within about 3 days of eachother.

I do believe there is evidence to suggest that windows 7 or the newer nvidia drivers may be physically damaging these older video cards!

(the PSU and motherboard was replaced on one of these machines a month ago too, yet the problems between the two are identical).
Hello, I have had the exact same problem, but with a different graphics card (8800 gtx).

I have 2 of the exact same computers and exchanged the 3D card between them (both these computers were originally running WinXP for 2 years, no problems).

I put the working card into my Windows 7 x64bit computer, and the problem went away. So it proved that there was significant damage done to the original 8800GTX card done by windows 7. This problem happened 3 days ago, and was fixed by getting a brand new GeForce GTS 250.

Here's the real kicker: Windows 7 x32bit was recently installed in the other aforementioned identical computer with the 8800gtx, and now THAT computer suffered the same problem with the graphical anomalies, ending up in a fouled up graphics card and only being able to log into safe mode. (I took the new Geforce GTS 250 and installed it on that computer and it worked, indicating that both geforce 8800gtx cards were destroyed in a 5 day period between eachother). Both systems had windows 7 installed within about 3 days of eachother.

I do believe there is evidence to suggest that windows 7 or the newer nvidia drivers may be physically damaging these older video cards!

(the PSU and motherboard was replaced on one of these machines a month ago too, yet the problems between the two are identical).

Posted 01/16/2010 07:55 AM   
I've had the same problem with my 280GTX since installing the Windows 7 X64 195.62 WHQL drivers & unfortunately going back to earlier drivers doesn't solve it.
With a lot of driver reinstalling I can get everything to work fine until the next cold boot.
But I doubt your cards are physically damaged.
Try installing them in a computer that has never had the Win 7 drivers installed.
I've had the same problem with my 280GTX since installing the Windows 7 X64 195.62 WHQL drivers & unfortunately going back to earlier drivers doesn't solve it.

With a lot of driver reinstalling I can get everything to work fine until the next cold boot.

Try installing them in a computer that has never had the Win 7 drivers installed.

Posted 01/16/2010 11:42 PM   
[quote name='ol'norton' post='982592' date='Jan 16 2010, 03:42 PM']I've had the same problem with my 280GTX since installing the Windows 7 X64 195.62 WHQL drivers & unfortunately going back to earlier drivers doesn't solve it.
Try installing them in a computer that has never had the Win 7 drivers installed.[/quote]

That was a good idea ol'norton, I just tried both cards on a slightly older system belonging to a friend of mine, and both cards have degraded to the point where they are no longer able to view the startup bios screen, let alone log onto windows. I suspect that damage has been done.

I have a dual boot install (XP/Win7) on one of the machines and I am now recording the various average temperature levels of the GPU on both operating systems running identical games with the same driver version (for each OS) and on the same settings. I have a feeling that maybe Windows 7 is running the older cards harder than XP and maybe doing some damage? I really don't know about this one...
[quote name='ol'norton' post='982592' date='Jan 16 2010, 03:42 PM']I've had the same problem with my 280GTX since installing the Windows 7 X64 195.62 WHQL drivers & unfortunately going back to earlier drivers doesn't solve it.

That was a good idea ol'norton, I just tried both cards on a slightly older system belonging to a friend of mine, and both cards have degraded to the point where they are no longer able to view the startup bios screen, let alone log onto windows. I suspect that damage has been done.

I have a dual boot install (XP/Win7) on one of the machines and I am now recording the various average temperature levels of the GPU on both operating systems running identical games with the same driver version (for each OS) and on the same settings. I have a feeling that maybe Windows 7 is running the older cards harder than XP and maybe doing some damage? I really don't know about this one...

Posted 01/17/2010 02:06 AM   
have the same problem on my acer aspire 5920g with 8600M GS. any luck fixing it?
have the same problem on my acer aspire 5920g with 8600M GS. any luck fixing it?

Posted 02/18/2010 10:40 PM   
Yes win 7 is not a friendly game OS. I like my refreshrate higher than 85 Hz in game play..........CHEERS
Yes win 7 is not a friendly game OS. I like my refreshrate higher than 85 Hz in game play..........CHEERS

Posted 02/18/2010 11:00 PM   
[quote name='Sisir' date='13 January 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1263362048' post='980467']

Please advice.
[/quote]

I have the same problem with my Asus U35Jc laptop with a G310M 1gb card ...
Original drivers work just fine but when i upgrade them with the latest ones from Nvidias website the system boots up and freezes just seconds into loading the desktop. The problem is solved by failsafe mode and back up the system to the point where the driver was installed ... It can't be a Coincidence that we all have W7 X64 ... all of us have different video cards it seem...
[quote name='Sisir' date='13 January 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1263362048' post='980467']

Please advice.

I have the same problem with my Asus U35Jc laptop with a G310M 1gb card ...

Original drivers work just fine but when i upgrade them with the latest ones from Nvidias website the system boots up and freezes just seconds into loading the desktop. The problem is solved by failsafe mode and back up the system to the point where the driver was installed ... It can't be a Coincidence that we all have W7 X64 ... all of us have different video cards it seem...

Posted 01/29/2011 03:38 AM   
This may be out of subject here but I kinda have the same problem!
I have a Dell D830 with Quadro nvs 140m. I installed Windows 7 x32 about 2-3 months ago and it was working fine until it started about a week ago with "the Display driver has crashed" (although Windows was able to restart the driver)and freezing and finally I had two blue screens and my Windows couldn't boot! I honestly don't remember what drivers I used to install the graphic card back then but it had to be a WDDM because I don't recall downloading nvidia drivers.
Anyhow I decided to re-install my Windows, after doing so I installed the Nvidia drivers V. 266.58 , after completing the driver installation and restarting, Windows booted with green distorted screen with 800*600 resolution! tried to open nVidia Control panel but got the error that "There is no GPU conneced to control panel" or something like that!

I don't know if this is really related, but if I would appreciate if anyone knows anything about this that may help me...I am currently using VGA standard display driver, dont have Aero , cant really watch movies HQ and ...
This may be out of subject here but I kinda have the same problem!

I have a Dell D830 with Quadro nvs 140m. I installed Windows 7 x32 about 2-3 months ago and it was working fine until it started about a week ago with "the Display driver has crashed" (although Windows was able to restart the driver)and freezing and finally I had two blue screens and my Windows couldn't boot! I honestly don't remember what drivers I used to install the graphic card back then but it had to be a WDDM because I don't recall downloading nvidia drivers.

Anyhow I decided to re-install my Windows, after doing so I installed the Nvidia drivers V. 266.58 , after completing the driver installation and restarting, Windows booted with green distorted screen with 800*600 resolution! tried to open nVidia Control panel but got the error that "There is no GPU conneced to control panel" or something like that!

I don't know if this is really related, but if I would appreciate if anyone knows anything about this that may help me...I am currently using VGA standard display driver, dont have Aero , cant really watch movies HQ and ...

Posted 02/02/2011 04:18 AM   
I have a GTS 450 card with my Win 7 64-bit system. It didn't run a month before windows started locking up. I had to reinstall everything to get it working. That worked for about 6 weeks, and I am back to problems again. Windows will only boot up if I disable the display adapter.

Apparently, it is a common problem with no current solution, as I only see people complaining about it, but no one is offering help.
I have a GTS 450 card with my Win 7 64-bit system. It didn't run a month before windows started locking up. I had to reinstall everything to get it working. That worked for about 6 weeks, and I am back to problems again. Windows will only boot up if I disable the display adapter.

Apparently, it is a common problem with no current solution, as I only see people complaining about it, but no one is offering help.

Posted 03/10/2011 04:49 PM   
same problem here, i have a HP Pavilion dv9000 with Mobile DualCore Inten Core 2 Duo processor and nVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS card. originaly there was a windows vista instaled but ive upgraded to windows7 ultimate 32bit edition. ive downloaded the 275.33-notebook-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql drivers from nVIDIA website and everything run smoothly for a short time...then my notebook started flickering and showing random colors or stripes all over the screen. after that i couldnt even log into windows, only safe mode availible. before ive found out that the problem occurs on many other users i though my graphic card is broken or my pc is overheating but none of this is the problem. now my notebook works only with standart VGA drivers and when i instal the nVIDIA drivers i can only pray to work for a few hours before it crashes again. Any solution from you nVIDIA guys?
same problem here, i have a HP Pavilion dv9000 with Mobile DualCore Inten Core 2 Duo processor and nVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS card. originaly there was a windows vista instaled but ive upgraded to windows7 ultimate 32bit edition. ive downloaded the 275.33-notebook-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql drivers from nVIDIA website and everything run smoothly for a short time...then my notebook started flickering and showing random colors or stripes all over the screen. after that i couldnt even log into windows, only safe mode availible. before ive found out that the problem occurs on many other users i though my graphic card is broken or my pc is overheating but none of this is the problem. now my notebook works only with standart VGA drivers and when i instal the nVIDIA drivers i can only pray to work for a few hours before it crashes again. Any solution from you nVIDIA guys?

Posted 06/16/2011 09:46 AM   

Posted 06/16/2011 09:46 AM   
Why is NVIDIA so quiet in this discussion? I want to hear solutions not problems ^_^ It seems like you all have a similar problem, mine is fine with older updates (v280.26) but when i update it past that i get these god forsaken problems and its annoying having to uninstall the new one and install v280.26 again :/ if anyone has a solution for this mainly NVIDIA do tell....
Why is NVIDIA so quiet in this discussion? I want to hear solutions not problems ^_^ It seems like you all have a similar problem, mine is fine with older updates (v280.26) but when i update it past that i get these god forsaken problems and its annoying having to uninstall the new one and install v280.26 again :/ if anyone has a solution for this mainly NVIDIA do tell....

Posted 05/28/2013 09:02 AM   
Hello, i recently installed win 7 on my pc but it freezes at startup windows aftr i install nvidia video driver. M havin nvidia geforce 8400 gs video card.Any kinda help will b much appreciated. thanks.
Hello, i recently installed win 7 on my pc but it freezes at startup windows aftr i install nvidia video driver. M havin nvidia geforce 8400 gs video card.Any kinda help will b much appreciated.

thanks.

Posted 07/07/2013 10:12 AM   
Scroll To Top