Mitsubishi WD-65837 Want to have 3D
Was at Fry's today and saw setup and have a few questions.

1. My supplier has a pretty good deal on a desktop with the following video board: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

I only want to hook up PC, which has a blu-ray and buy GeForce 3D Vision, NVIDIA has conflicting, to me at least, info if this board will work for movies. I do not see myself playing 3D games.

2. Can I connect HDMI from computer to A/V system and connect HDMI out to TV or do I need to go directly from computer to TV and use another method to get sound to A/V system?

The computer I can get has: S/PDIF Connectors: 1 - S/PDIF out (coaxial)
1 - S/PDIF in

Please understand this technology is way over my head, but hopefully I can just get the computer with specs outlined and have it work with my DLP TV.

Thanks in advance.
Was at Fry's today and saw setup and have a few questions.

1. My supplier has a pretty good deal on a desktop with the following video board: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

I only want to hook up PC, which has a blu-ray and buy GeForce 3D Vision, NVIDIA has conflicting, to me at least, info if this board will work for movies. I do not see myself playing 3D games.

2. Can I connect HDMI from computer to A/V system and connect HDMI out to TV or do I need to go directly from computer to TV and use another method to get sound to A/V system?

1 - S/PDIF in

Please understand this technology is way over my head, but hopefully I can just get the computer with specs outlined and have it work with my DLP TV.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 01/11/2010 05:28 AM   
[quote name='thepla' post='979165' date='Jan 11 2010, 12:28 AM']Was at Fry's today and saw setup and have a few questions.

1 - S/PDIF in

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Regarding 3D movies. The 3D Blu Ray spec was just finalized recently and the first 3D Blu Rays will not arrive until the summer. In order to have this work, you will need the new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. That will be version 10 and it will arrive around the summer as well. It will cost a total of $99 approximately. The other thing is that due to the technology in the DLP TVs, you will not be able to get full high definition in 3D Mode. The reason for that has to do with the way that the television produces the 3D effect. I hope that this helps. Until the 3D Blu Ray movies arrive, it will likely remain difficult (if not impossible) to locate hollywood films in 3D.
[quote name='thepla' post='979165' date='Jan 11 2010, 12:28 AM']Was at Fry's today and saw setup and have a few questions.

1 - S/PDIF in

Thanks in advance.

Regarding 3D movies. The 3D Blu Ray spec was just finalized recently and the first 3D Blu Rays will not arrive until the summer. In order to have this work, you will need the new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. That will be version 10 and it will arrive around the summer as well. It will cost a total of $99 approximately. The other thing is that due to the technology in the DLP TVs, you will not be able to get full high definition in 3D Mode. The reason for that has to do with the way that the television produces the 3D effect. I hope that this helps. Until the 3D Blu Ray movies arrive, it will likely remain difficult (if not impossible) to locate hollywood films in 3D.

Posted 01/11/2010 06:27 AM   

1 - S/PDIF in

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

1. That videocard should be fine for HD 3D movies as long as you have a beefy quad core processor. Games on the other hand...but thats fine since you are not interested in that. However, I do want to point out that there isn't' a single 3D bluray available yet and won't be for another 6 months.

2. Videocard should be able to have HDMI audio out but you will need to plug in the s/pdif wire in to the motherboards s/pdif out port. I see people who are not used to opening computers and playing around with them having an issue with this... Worst case scenario, you will have to plug the spdif coax cable from your computer to the AV receiver and plug HDMI in TV directly.

I think you should wait as all kinds of new tech is being announced for 3D and there really isn't any content other than video gaming at the moment. Unless you are getting a ridiculously good deal on the TV...

Final note - if you are looking to watch movies only, there are cheaper methods than 3D Vision which will produce same results. look around...

1 - S/PDIF in

Thanks in advance.

1. That videocard should be fine for HD 3D movies as long as you have a beefy quad core processor. Games on the other hand...but thats fine since you are not interested in that. However, I do want to point out that there isn't' a single 3D bluray available yet and won't be for another 6 months.

2. Videocard should be able to have HDMI audio out but you will need to plug in the s/pdif wire in to the motherboards s/pdif out port. I see people who are not used to opening computers and playing around with them having an issue with this... Worst case scenario, you will have to plug the spdif coax cable from your computer to the AV receiver and plug HDMI in TV directly.

I think you should wait as all kinds of new tech is being announced for 3D and there really isn't any content other than video gaming at the moment. Unless you are getting a ridiculously good deal on the TV...

Final note - if you are looking to watch movies only, there are cheaper methods than 3D Vision which will produce same results. look around...

Posted 01/11/2010 06:31 AM   
[quote name='winlonghorn' post='979182' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:27 AM']Regarding 3D movies. The 3D Blu Ray spec was just finalized recently and the first 3D Blu Rays will not arrive until the summer. In order to have this work, you will need the new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. That will be version 10 and it will arrive around the summer as well. It will cost a total of $99 approximately. The other thing is that due to the technology in the DLP TVs, you will not be able to get full high definition in 3D Mode. The reason for that has to do with the way that the television produces the 3D effect. I hope that this helps. Until the 3D Blu Ray movies arrive, it will likely remain difficult (if not impossible) to locate hollywood films in 3D.[/quote]

While everything you said is correct, 65 inch DLP 3D TV is probably the best option for someone that is looking to only watch 3D movies. The checkerboard pattern hides the fact its not true 1080p very well plus the new 2010 1080p 3D TVs at that size will be 4-5 times more expensive.
[quote name='winlonghorn' post='979182' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:27 AM']Regarding 3D movies. The 3D Blu Ray spec was just finalized recently and the first 3D Blu Rays will not arrive until the summer. In order to have this work, you will need the new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. That will be version 10 and it will arrive around the summer as well. It will cost a total of $99 approximately. The other thing is that due to the technology in the DLP TVs, you will not be able to get full high definition in 3D Mode. The reason for that has to do with the way that the television produces the 3D effect. I hope that this helps. Until the 3D Blu Ray movies arrive, it will likely remain difficult (if not impossible) to locate hollywood films in 3D.

While everything you said is correct, 65 inch DLP 3D TV is probably the best option for someone that is looking to only watch 3D movies. The checkerboard pattern hides the fact its not true 1080p very well plus the new 2010 1080p 3D TVs at that size will be 4-5 times more expensive.

Posted 01/11/2010 06:40 AM   
[quote name='disolitude' post='979186' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:40 AM']While everything you said is correct, 65 inch DLP 3D TV is probably the best option for someone that is looking to only watch 3D movies. The checkerboard pattern hides the fact its not true 1080p very well plus the new 2010 1080p 3D TVs at that size will be 4-5 times more expensive.[/quote]

Thank you. :) I can't argue with that fact. However, I never said that this TV was a terrible option. I was just saying that it won't be full HD. ;) Personally, I know that I am going to test it because it is the cheapest way that I can watch 3D Blu Ray and I have the 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP. :)
[quote name='disolitude' post='979186' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:40 AM']While everything you said is correct, 65 inch DLP 3D TV is probably the best option for someone that is looking to only watch 3D movies. The checkerboard pattern hides the fact its not true 1080p very well plus the new 2010 1080p 3D TVs at that size will be 4-5 times more expensive.

Thank you. :) I can't argue with that fact. However, I never said that this TV was a terrible option. I was just saying that it won't be full HD. ;) Personally, I know that I am going to test it because it is the cheapest way that I can watch 3D Blu Ray and I have the 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP. :)

Posted 01/11/2010 09:10 AM   
[quote name='winlonghorn' post='979182' date='Jan 11 2010, 12:27 AM']Regarding 3D movies. The 3D Blu Ray spec was just finalized recently and the first 3D Blu Rays will not arrive until the summer. In order to have this work, you will need the new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. That will be version 10 and it will arrive around the summer as well. It will cost a total of $99 approximately. The other thing is that due to the technology in the DLP TVs, you will not be able to get full high definition in 3D Mode. The reason for that has to do with the way that the television produces the 3D effect. I hope that this helps. Until the 3D Blu Ray movies arrive, it will likely remain difficult (if not impossible) to locate hollywood films in 3D.[/quote]

I thought the 3D glasses kit had the software included. Does this mean I need one other software package.
[quote name='winlonghorn' post='979182' date='Jan 11 2010, 12:27 AM']Regarding 3D movies. The 3D Blu Ray spec was just finalized recently and the first 3D Blu Rays will not arrive until the summer. In order to have this work, you will need the new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. That will be version 10 and it will arrive around the summer as well. It will cost a total of $99 approximately. The other thing is that due to the technology in the DLP TVs, you will not be able to get full high definition in 3D Mode. The reason for that has to do with the way that the television produces the 3D effect. I hope that this helps. Until the 3D Blu Ray movies arrive, it will likely remain difficult (if not impossible) to locate hollywood films in 3D.

I thought the 3D glasses kit had the software included. Does this mean I need one other software package.

Posted 01/11/2010 04:51 PM   
[quote name='thepla' post='979427' date='Jan 11 2010, 11:51 AM']I thought the 3D glasses kit had the software included. Does this mean I need one other software package.[/quote]

It doesn't have the movie player software that will be needed for the new 3D Blu Ray standard, so yes that would be required (sadly).
[quote name='thepla' post='979427' date='Jan 11 2010, 11:51 AM']I thought the 3D glasses kit had the software included. Does this mean I need one other software package.

It doesn't have the movie player software that will be needed for the new 3D Blu Ray standard, so yes that would be required (sadly).

Posted 01/11/2010 06:04 PM   
Scroll To Top