Upgrade from FX 5500
Hi everybody and anybody.......I'm trying to figure out what I can upgrade my old card, which is a GeForce FX 5500 to. The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with the Intel 865PE and AGP slot, an Intel P4 CPU 2.66 GHz and the PS is 485W. The mobo manual recommends 1.5V AGP cards
Hi everybody and anybody.......I'm trying to figure out what I can upgrade my old card, which is a GeForce FX 5500 to. The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with the Intel 865PE and AGP slot, an Intel P4 CPU 2.66 GHz and the PS is 485W. The mobo manual recommends 1.5V AGP cards

Posted 01/09/2010 09:52 PM   
[quote name='RickeySnakes' post='978457' date='Jan 9 2010, 01:52 PM']Hi everybody and anybody.......I'm trying to figure out what I can upgrade my old card, which is a GeForce FX 5500 to. The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with the Intel 865PE and AGP slot, an Intel P4 CPU 2.66 GHz and the PS is 485W. The mobo manual recommends 1.5V AGP cards[/quote]

The GeForce 6 series was the last of the APG cards from NVIDIA, subsequent ones are PCI- Express.

I would strongly advise a new motherboard and CPU and RAM. The advantage is that PCI Express is more upgradable than AGP and its likely to be the standard for many years to come.

Then you can can indulge in a much better video card.
[quote name='RickeySnakes' post='978457' date='Jan 9 2010, 01:52 PM']Hi everybody and anybody.......I'm trying to figure out what I can upgrade my old card, which is a GeForce FX 5500 to. The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with the Intel 865PE and AGP slot, an Intel P4 CPU 2.66 GHz and the PS is 485W. The mobo manual recommends 1.5V AGP cards

The GeForce 6 series was the last of the APG cards from NVIDIA, subsequent ones are PCI- Express.

I would strongly advise a new motherboard and CPU and RAM. The advantage is that PCI Express is more upgradable than AGP and its likely to be the standard for many years to come.

Then you can can indulge in a much better video card.

Posted 01/09/2010 11:15 PM   
Hi,

Depends on your expectations and your budget. If you have very limited amount of money to spend - don't expect too much. You can try getting GS7900 AGP (around $100) but that will only let you play last years games on a lowest detail setting, if at all. Even though it's one of the fastest AGP cards it is only a DirectX9 graphics card and many game developpers are abandoning DX9 which means very few new games will run on GS7900 at all.

Your other choice is a new PC. Decent graphics cards plug into PCI-express slot and your systembaord hasn't got one (oly AGP). So if you want PCI-E graphics card you need a systemboard with PCI-E slot, and I am pretty sure this systemboard will be incompatible with your CPU and RAM - so you will also need new CPU and RAM. You might also have to replace PSU and potentially a hard drive. All that is pretty much a new PC.

So my advice don't waste your cash on obsolete platform. Save up for a new PC.
Hi,

Depends on your expectations and your budget. If you have very limited amount of money to spend - don't expect too much. You can try getting GS7900 AGP (around $100) but that will only let you play last years games on a lowest detail setting, if at all. Even though it's one of the fastest AGP cards it is only a DirectX9 graphics card and many game developpers are abandoning DX9 which means very few new games will run on GS7900 at all.

Your other choice is a new PC. Decent graphics cards plug into PCI-express slot and your systembaord hasn't got one (oly AGP). So if you want PCI-E graphics card you need a systemboard with PCI-E slot, and I am pretty sure this systemboard will be incompatible with your CPU and RAM - so you will also need new CPU and RAM. You might also have to replace PSU and potentially a hard drive. All that is pretty much a new PC.

So my advice don't waste your cash on obsolete platform. Save up for a new PC.

Posted 01/10/2010 12:49 AM   
Scroll To Top