Best way to overclock without rivatuner? or EVGA precision?
  1 / 2    
so, I'm needing to overclock my 8800s with this new lcd monitor. But I already have enough white flashing, and rivatuner/precision only introduce even more, so what's a good program to use aside from those? I don't want to flash the firmware on the cards.
so, I'm needing to overclock my 8800s with this new lcd monitor. But I already have enough white flashing, and rivatuner/precision only introduce even more, so what's a good program to use aside from those? I don't want to flash the firmware on the cards.

Posted 01/08/2010 12:35 AM   
if your card flashes while it is on the stock speed then you cant overclock it with any program at all, you need to sort the flashing out first.

have you monitored the temperature of the card?
if your card flashes while it is on the stock speed then you cant overclock it with any program at all, you need to sort the flashing out first.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 01/08/2010 01:10 AM   
[quote name='Qazax' post='977345' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:10 AM']if your card flashes while it is on the stock speed then you cant overclock it with any program at all, you need to sort the flashing out first.

have you monitored the temperature of the card?[/quote]

They never get over 90 degrees in games. I've narrowed the flashing down to driver issues - I'm about to go back to 1.15 and try that.
[quote name='Qazax' post='977345' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:10 AM']if your card flashes while it is on the stock speed then you cant overclock it with any program at all, you need to sort the flashing out first.

They never get over 90 degrees in games. I've narrowed the flashing down to driver issues - I'm about to go back to 1.15 and try that.

Posted 01/08/2010 01:32 AM   
what PSU do you have? i ran every driver that came out on my 8800 gtx when i had it and not once had an issue. i am now runnign every driver i can on my gtx 280 and again not having any issues.
what PSU do you have? i ran every driver that came out on my 8800 gtx when i had it and not once had an issue. i am now runnign every driver i can on my gtx 280 and again not having any issues.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 01/08/2010 01:47 AM   
650 watts - core2duo overclocked to 4ghz, 4 hard drives, 1 cd rom, 2 8800 ultras, 4 gigs ram. CPU runs at like 70 degrees sometimes.

I run my old hardware hard because... well, who cares, right? But the hardware isn't my problem. I fixed my flashing with the 1.15 drivers - and I do mean fixed, as in 100 percent gone in every situation. No more driver restarts in the middle of games, either.

So my original question remains - what's a good utility to overclock my graphics cards, besides rivatuner or precision?
650 watts - core2duo overclocked to 4ghz, 4 hard drives, 1 cd rom, 2 8800 ultras, 4 gigs ram. CPU runs at like 70 degrees sometimes.

I run my old hardware hard because... well, who cares, right? But the hardware isn't my problem. I fixed my flashing with the 1.15 drivers - and I do mean fixed, as in 100 percent gone in every situation. No more driver restarts in the middle of games, either.

So my original question remains - what's a good utility to overclock my graphics cards, besides rivatuner or precision?

Posted 01/08/2010 10:56 AM   
Nvidia system tools

[url="http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.05_uk.html"]http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia_syst...ls_6.05_uk.html[/url]

Posted 01/08/2010 11:19 AM   
Hey guys, is it actually a fact the e.g. Precision will cause the flashing? I have to admit it stopped happening for me once I uninstalled Precision, but I really don't understand how that's possible. All three of my GTX280s are watercooled and NEVER went beyond 54C even when heavily OCed. I would love to start being able to read temps on the fly and actually use my watercooling setup the way it's meant to again, but not if that means flashing...
Hey guys, is it actually a fact the e.g. Precision will cause the flashing? I have to admit it stopped happening for me once I uninstalled Precision, but I really don't understand how that's possible. All three of my GTX280s are watercooled and NEVER went beyond 54C even when heavily OCed. I would love to start being able to read temps on the fly and actually use my watercooling setup the way it's meant to again, but not if that means flashing...

Posted 01/08/2010 02:03 PM   
if you overclocked too high you can get visual problems like flashing and artifacts. dod you gradually raise the clock speeds and test each overbumin on furmark or scanfor artifacts on atitool?

jumping up to a massive OC is likely to be very unstable.

if it was a fact that precision causes flashing, nobody would use it and it wouldnt be a link to download.
if you overclocked too high you can get visual problems like flashing and artifacts. dod you gradually raise the clock speeds and test each overbumin on furmark or scanfor artifacts on atitool?

jumping up to a massive OC is likely to be very unstable.

if it was a fact that precision causes flashing, nobody would use it and it wouldnt be a link to download.

Posted 01/08/2010 02:09 PM   
MSI Afterburner is very similar to eVGA Precision. I use it instead because my card is an MSI 295. Both programs have worked for me and I like the simplicity.

I have noticed both these programs do not work properly if extending desktop across multiple displays. One GPU remains overclocked under all conditions while other is underclocked. (At least that is what the program reports is happening.) Fixed by using only single display. Am I the only one who has noticed this with Precision and afterburner with a 295 GPU?

[url="http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm"]http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm[/url]
MSI Afterburner is very similar to eVGA Precision. I use it instead because my card is an MSI 295. Both programs have worked for me and I like the simplicity.

I have noticed both these programs do not work properly if extending desktop across multiple displays. One GPU remains overclocked under all conditions while other is underclocked. (At least that is what the program reports is happening.) Fixed by using only single display. Am I the only one who has noticed this with Precision and afterburner with a 295 GPU?

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

Posted 01/08/2010 03:18 PM   
It is t precision that's causing your flashes because I have to use it to turn my fan speeds up and I get no flashes at all.
It is t precision that's causing your flashes because I have to use it to turn my fan speeds up and I get no flashes at all.

Q6600 @ 3.2 (1600)
4 gb ram Linked and Synced
EVGA 780i
2 x EVGA GTX275 F.T.W. Editions
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750
Crapload of fans

Posted 01/08/2010 05:53 PM   
[quote name='Tommygunn777' post='977575' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:19 PM']Nvidia system tools

[url="http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.05_uk.html"]http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia_syst...ls_6.05_uk.html[/url][/quote]

Thanks, but this bluescreens my system when I go into the nvidia control panel.

Vtectrini, precision DOES CAUSE MY FLASHES, I don't know why your system isn't affected but it does affect mine. I can't use MSI afterburner, either - it's based on rivatuner, just like precision.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, guys
[quote name='Tommygunn777' post='977575' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:19 PM']Nvidia system tools

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia_syst...ls_6.05_uk.html

Thanks, but this bluescreens my system when I go into the nvidia control panel.

Vtectrini, precision DOES CAUSE MY FLASHES, I don't know why your system isn't affected but it does affect mine. I can't use MSI afterburner, either - it's based on rivatuner, just like precision.

Posted 01/10/2010 11:27 AM   
[quote name='f3likx' post='978725' date='Jan 10 2010, 11:27 AM']Thanks, but this bluescreens my system when I go into the nvidia control panel.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, guys[/quote]

Just quickly, it always blue screened me aswell for the last year, i downloaded it again the other day as there was problems with rivatuner in win7 64bit for me and reinstalled and its working like a charm now??
[quote name='f3likx' post='978725' date='Jan 10 2010, 11:27 AM']Thanks, but this bluescreens my system when I go into the nvidia control panel.

Just quickly, it always blue screened me aswell for the last year, i downloaded it again the other day as there was problems with rivatuner in win7 64bit for me and reinstalled and its working like a charm now??

Posted 01/10/2010 11:38 AM   

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, guys[/quote]

does just opening the program cause flashes or is it the actual overclocking that causes flashing?

does just opening the program cause flashes or is it the actual overclocking that causes flashing?

Posted 01/10/2010 03:31 PM   
for me it was just a case of accepting the end user agreement that you have to do once before opening the overclocking panel, as soon as i accepted the agreement it would BSOD.
for me it was just a case of accepting the end user agreement that you have to do once before opening the overclocking panel, as soon as i accepted the agreement it would BSOD.

Posted 01/10/2010 05:30 PM   
[quote name='Qazax' post='978803' date='Jan 10 2010, 04:31 PM']does just opening the program cause flashes or is it the actual overclocking that causes flashing?[/quote]

Ok, dude. You know how I know it causes flashes?

Because now that I'm running 1.15 drivers again, I don't get flashes. Never, ever, not one. K? So I install rivatuner or precision or afterburner and I get 1 every 3 seconds. Uninstall and they're gone. Overclocked, underclocked, stock - doesn't matter - if the program is installed (doesn't have to be open!) - I get flashes.

Which brings me to my original question. Are there any other overclocking tools besides rivatuner based apps and nvidia system tools, which cause me to bsod? I honestly can't find a single one. I could use powerstrip, I guess... Hell, I'm gonna use bloody powerstrip until I find something better.
[quote name='Qazax' post='978803' date='Jan 10 2010, 04:31 PM']does just opening the program cause flashes or is it the actual overclocking that causes flashing?

Ok, dude. You know how I know it causes flashes?

Because now that I'm running 1.15 drivers again, I don't get flashes. Never, ever, not one. K? So I install rivatuner or precision or afterburner and I get 1 every 3 seconds. Uninstall and they're gone. Overclocked, underclocked, stock - doesn't matter - if the program is installed (doesn't have to be open!) - I get flashes.

Which brings me to my original question. Are there any other overclocking tools besides rivatuner based apps and nvidia system tools, which cause me to bsod? I honestly can't find a single one. I could use powerstrip, I guess... Hell, I'm gonna use bloody powerstrip until I find something better.

Posted 01/10/2010 10:25 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top