Graphic card for my laptop
So I recently downloaded Left 4 Dead on my laptop but its really laggy. I would say it is at least 13 fps. So I am assuming that it is the fault of my graphics card so I am deciding to buy a nvidia one. But I do not have the slightest clue what to buy. And I am afraid of buying the wrong thing (not compatable with my laptop). So i'll leave some information of my laptop and please help me choose a good and decent priced graphic card. Thanks in advance!

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
Memory(RAM): 3.00GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

If any other information is necessary I will try my best to look for it
So I recently downloaded Left 4 Dead on my laptop but its really laggy. I would say it is at least 13 fps. So I am assuming that it is the fault of my graphics card so I am deciding to buy a nvidia one. But I do not have the slightest clue what to buy. And I am afraid of buying the wrong thing (not compatable with my laptop). So i'll leave some information of my laptop and please help me choose a good and decent priced graphic card. Thanks in advance!

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz

Memory(RAM): 3.00GB

System Type: 32-bit Operating System

If any other information is necessary I will try my best to look for it

Posted 01/06/2010 10:44 PM   
Sorry mate. Not recommended to upgrade GPU and/or CPU on a lappy.
Sorry mate. Not recommended to upgrade GPU and/or CPU on a lappy.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 01/06/2010 11:05 PM   
+1 to what RuffeDK said.

Here's why:

Its virtually impossible for a regular "civilian" like you or I to even purchase a discrete laptop graphics card. You can search around to find used ones off various websites, but these cards are usually two or three years out of date at best. I'm not a big fan of buying used laptop parts, as laptop parts tend to wear down very quickly compared to desktop models.

Even if you do manage to get your hands on an acceptable card, you then have to know how to attach it to the laptop's mainboard and the screen: a process that involves virtually the complete disassembly of your entire laptop. A process as extensive as this is recommended for someone with correct training: there are highly trained techs at many computer repair companies who do not work on laptops because they don't have the correct training to do so.

Furthermore, laptop mainboards are not universally compatible with all graphics cards, so you have to be able to find a card that will work in your mainboard, which means possibly only one that comes in a higher end version of your EXACT laptop. So even if the above problems aren't issues for you, if your EXACT series and generation and chassis model of laptop doesn't have a model with a discrete card, then none of the above even matters because you're dealing with a laptop that simply cant even support a discrete graphics card.

Now, if you don't mind the very high possibility of bricking your laptop, you can search around to find some used laptop graphics cards online, but I don't think that there is a responsible member of the community here that will advise you on where to go or how to even attempt to do it.
+1 to what RuffeDK said.

Here's why:

Its virtually impossible for a regular "civilian" like you or I to even purchase a discrete laptop graphics card. You can search around to find used ones off various websites, but these cards are usually two or three years out of date at best. I'm not a big fan of buying used laptop parts, as laptop parts tend to wear down very quickly compared to desktop models.

Even if you do manage to get your hands on an acceptable card, you then have to know how to attach it to the laptop's mainboard and the screen: a process that involves virtually the complete disassembly of your entire laptop. A process as extensive as this is recommended for someone with correct training: there are highly trained techs at many computer repair companies who do not work on laptops because they don't have the correct training to do so.

Furthermore, laptop mainboards are not universally compatible with all graphics cards, so you have to be able to find a card that will work in your mainboard, which means possibly only one that comes in a higher end version of your EXACT laptop. So even if the above problems aren't issues for you, if your EXACT series and generation and chassis model of laptop doesn't have a model with a discrete card, then none of the above even matters because you're dealing with a laptop that simply cant even support a discrete graphics card.

Now, if you don't mind the very high possibility of bricking your laptop, you can search around to find some used laptop graphics cards online, but I don't think that there is a responsible member of the community here that will advise you on where to go or how to even attempt to do it.

Posted 01/06/2010 11:22 PM   
your best bet is to call HP and ask them what sort of upgrades are available or if there are any at all. because usually if the laptop is not built for gaming then it will most likely not have the proper MXM socket to put a mobile graphics card in it. not to mention you will most likely have to buy a new power brick because your current one will not have enough power for a newer graphics card. and sometimes its best to just build a budget machine to play games. that is how i came to building my first desktop because i was in the same position as you and wanted to upgrade my laptop but it just wasnt worth it.
your best bet is to call HP and ask them what sort of upgrades are available or if there are any at all. because usually if the laptop is not built for gaming then it will most likely not have the proper MXM socket to put a mobile graphics card in it. not to mention you will most likely have to buy a new power brick because your current one will not have enough power for a newer graphics card. and sometimes its best to just build a budget machine to play games. that is how i came to building my first desktop because i was in the same position as you and wanted to upgrade my laptop but it just wasnt worth it.

Posted 01/07/2010 06:32 PM   
These guys are all correct ! After doing allot of looking around I can not find an upgrade path for your Laptop. I believe you have the 7150m gpu. But I would not change a thing they have told you.
These guys are all correct ! After doing allot of looking around I can not find an upgrade path for your Laptop. I believe you have the 7150m gpu. But I would not change a thing they have told you.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 01/07/2010 06:39 PM   
While it's not possible to upgrade the GPU on your laptop, have you updated your drivers to the latest version from the Nvidia website, assuming you've got a Nvidia GPU in there already?

There was a big difference in performance when I updated my drivers from the ones HP shipped with the laptop - I have a DV9667ea with an 8600m GS onboard - and the default HP ones were very old.
While it's not possible to upgrade the GPU on your laptop, have you updated your drivers to the latest version from the Nvidia website, assuming you've got a Nvidia GPU in there already?

There was a big difference in performance when I updated my drivers from the ones HP shipped with the laptop - I have a DV9667ea with an 8600m GS onboard - and the default HP ones were very old.

Posted 01/07/2010 07:19 PM   
Scroll To Top