nVidia Driver 195.62 Won't Install in Windows 7 64-bit
The NVIDIA Drivers, (8.15.11.8593), installed by Windows Update when I installed Windows 7 64-bit worked fine on my 2 Dell 24" Monitors but not all the NVIDIA "extras" were present. I receved an email two weeks ago stating that their new driver, 195.62, was available for Windows 7. I downloded from the link in the email, uninstalled the old NVIDIA drivers, restarted my PC and began the installation of 195.62. Went so far and then I received the message "The system has not been modified. To install . . . . . "
Since then I have searched NVIDIA Forums and noted many people had the same problem with different NVIDIA cards. I tried all the solutions given without any luck, e.g. uninstalled the drivers in Device Manager, uninstalled NVIDIA from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, rebooted, stopped Windows 7 trying to install new drivers, etc., all without any luck. I even tried Windows Update again to try to get back to the original drivers installed when I upgraded to Windows 7 only to be told the newest drivers were installed! I even tried updating the drivers through Device Manager, only to get the same message. Windows Restore wouldn't even go back 2 Restore Points.
As you can guess I have got very frustrated after working on this for over 3 days. Eventually I got back to where I started by using Safe Mode, i.e. Windows Update installed the "latest" NVIDIA Drivers, (8.15.11.8593).
The problem seems to be that Windows Update starts installing nVidia drivers straight away after my PC restarts. I disabled Windows Update but this appears not to work. The real question iswhy does Windows Update not pick up 195.62!
Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21GHz
4GB Corsair RAM
ASUSTek A8N-SLI Premium
500GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT X 2 (SLI)
Windows 7 64-bit
The NVIDIA Drivers, (8.15.11.8593), installed by Windows Update when I installed Windows 7 64-bit worked fine on my 2 Dell 24" Monitors but not all the NVIDIA "extras" were present. I receved an email two weeks ago stating that their new driver, 195.62, was available for Windows 7. I downloded from the link in the email, uninstalled the old NVIDIA drivers, restarted my PC and began the installation of 195.62. Went so far and then I received the message "The system has not been modified. To install . . . . . "

Since then I have searched NVIDIA Forums and noted many people had the same problem with different NVIDIA cards. I tried all the solutions given without any luck, e.g. uninstalled the drivers in Device Manager, uninstalled NVIDIA from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, rebooted, stopped Windows 7 trying to install new drivers, etc., all without any luck. I even tried Windows Update again to try to get back to the original drivers installed when I upgraded to Windows 7 only to be told the newest drivers were installed! I even tried updating the drivers through Device Manager, only to get the same message. Windows Restore wouldn't even go back 2 Restore Points.

As you can guess I have got very frustrated after working on this for over 3 days. Eventually I got back to where I started by using Safe Mode, i.e. Windows Update installed the "latest" NVIDIA Drivers, (8.15.11.8593).

The problem seems to be that Windows Update starts installing nVidia drivers straight away after my PC restarts. I disabled Windows Update but this appears not to work. The real question iswhy does Windows Update not pick up 195.62!

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21GHz

4GB Corsair RAM

ASUSTek A8N-SLI Premium

500GB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT X 2 (SLI)

Windows 7 64-bit

Posted 12/30/2009 07:18 PM   
I am getting exactly the same issue, I have tried installing via windows update (which fails) installing in safe mode, driver cleaner .net in both safe and normal windows, removing both of my 9800 GTX's, reseating, and using only 1 card. Nothing has worked and I am left with an OS running without graphics drivers at the moment. I am going to try an older set of drivers tonight when I get back from work.
I am getting exactly the same issue, I have tried installing via windows update (which fails) installing in safe mode, driver cleaner .net in both safe and normal windows, removing both of my 9800 GTX's, reseating, and using only 1 card. Nothing has worked and I am left with an OS running without graphics drivers at the moment. I am going to try an older set of drivers tonight when I get back from work.

Posted 12/30/2009 11:06 PM   
Hello
I am having the same issues. I have tried all of the following on both Windows 7 64 and 32bit installations (6 so far). I have installed the latest drivers (195.62), downloaded from the EVGA site for my 9800 GX2, from Guru3d.com, from Windows update, and from the Nvidia driver page. All have either not installed correctly, giving me a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys file as the culprit, or the started installing, getting 1/3 of the way through, and then skipping to the "The system has not been modified" message.
I have also tried versions 190.38, 185.85, 174.74 and the latest Omega drivers 169.25.
I have used Driver sweeper in Safe mode to clean up between tries, and found that using Driver cleaner Pro caught about 5 files that Driver Sweeper did not. When I did get a driver to work I would often get the message that the graphics card had experienced a problem, and had reset itself. I went into the registry and added the Q-Word (for 64bit) TrdDelay, with the the value of 8, so as to give the card more time to work things out before Windows steps in and shuts everything down, but to no avail. I always lose the Aero Glass function too.
I have read in other forums that the nvlddmkm.sys error comes from the uninstall process not getting rid of older versions of this file, so the PC becomes confused. But at each uninstall, I take ownership of the files, located in System32/Drivers/nvlddmkm.sys, and System32/DriverStore/FileRepository/nv-lh-disp-something, and delete them. I have even tried deleting all of the files in the Repository that have to do with the display, but again, no luck.
It is as if Windows 7 does not recognize my card as a graphics card, for long. And it not just gaming. In fact I cannot often even get to that point. I'll be clicking on something, and the mouse/system will slow way down, and become unresponsive, then comes the BSOD, or I just turn off the PC via the Power switch because nothing is happening at all.
I have tried the Windows Repair function, Start up Repair, and System Restore, all of which either give me nothing, or work, and produce the same errors once the system is restored, or "fixed".
I have learned that this has been going on since Vista, and that not everybody has this issue, otherwise it would have been solved by now.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated. I am willing to try just about anything about now.
Thank you

My system specs are;
Intel E8400 @3GHz
EVGA 9800 GX2 (not OC'd)
Silverstone 850 watt PCU
Asus P5w DH Deluxe (Bios 2501)
8 Gigs of Corsair (4 sticks of Twin2X4096-6400C5DHX) I have tried it with one set of RAM, then the other, then both, no difference, also ran Memtest, no errors
Windows 7 Build 7600
Hello

I am having the same issues. I have tried all of the following on both Windows 7 64 and 32bit installations (6 so far). I have installed the latest drivers (195.62), downloaded from the EVGA site for my 9800 GX2, from Guru3d.com, from Windows update, and from the Nvidia driver page. All have either not installed correctly, giving me a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys file as the culprit, or the started installing, getting 1/3 of the way through, and then skipping to the "The system has not been modified" message.

I have also tried versions 190.38, 185.85, 174.74 and the latest Omega drivers 169.25.

I have used Driver sweeper in Safe mode to clean up between tries, and found that using Driver cleaner Pro caught about 5 files that Driver Sweeper did not. When I did get a driver to work I would often get the message that the graphics card had experienced a problem, and had reset itself. I went into the registry and added the Q-Word (for 64bit) TrdDelay, with the the value of 8, so as to give the card more time to work things out before Windows steps in and shuts everything down, but to no avail. I always lose the Aero Glass function too.

I have read in other forums that the nvlddmkm.sys error comes from the uninstall process not getting rid of older versions of this file, so the PC becomes confused. But at each uninstall, I take ownership of the files, located in System32/Drivers/nvlddmkm.sys, and System32/DriverStore/FileRepository/nv-lh-disp-something, and delete them. I have even tried deleting all of the files in the Repository that have to do with the display, but again, no luck.

It is as if Windows 7 does not recognize my card as a graphics card, for long. And it not just gaming. In fact I cannot often even get to that point. I'll be clicking on something, and the mouse/system will slow way down, and become unresponsive, then comes the BSOD, or I just turn off the PC via the Power switch because nothing is happening at all.

I have tried the Windows Repair function, Start up Repair, and System Restore, all of which either give me nothing, or work, and produce the same errors once the system is restored, or "fixed".

I have learned that this has been going on since Vista, and that not everybody has this issue, otherwise it would have been solved by now.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated. I am willing to try just about anything about now.

Thank you

My system specs are;

Intel E8400 @3GHz

EVGA 9800 GX2 (not OC'd)

Silverstone 850 watt PCU

Asus P5w DH Deluxe (Bios 2501)

8 Gigs of Corsair (4 sticks of Twin2X4096-6400C5DHX) I have tried it with one set of RAM, then the other, then both, no difference, also ran Memtest, no errors

Windows 7 Build 7600

Posted 12/31/2009 01:41 AM   
Hi All,

Try if this helps (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=102881&st=20&start=20). If this helps, it means that old bug still persists in NVIDIA driver.
Hi All,

Try if this helps (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=102881&st=20&start=20). If this helps, it means that old bug still persists in NVIDIA driver.

Posted 12/31/2009 09:18 AM   
Hi cjy111
Thank you very much for your reply. I already had all those settings applied as English when I installed the OS. But, because I do not know what else to do, I changed them to others, applied them, and then changed them back. I did not get the nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, Yay! But I cannot get Aero glass working either.
In the Device manger I see little yellow triangles on the 9800 GX2 devices. This was after of complete uninstall of the old driver, and using the Driver Sweeper/Driver Cleaner Pro combo. And an install of the new driver.
Oh well, I'll keep on plugging.
Hi cjy111

Thank you very much for your reply. I already had all those settings applied as English when I installed the OS. But, because I do not know what else to do, I changed them to others, applied them, and then changed them back. I did not get the nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, Yay! But I cannot get Aero glass working either.

In the Device manger I see little yellow triangles on the 9800 GX2 devices. This was after of complete uninstall of the old driver, and using the Driver Sweeper/Driver Cleaner Pro combo. And an install of the new driver.

Oh well, I'll keep on plugging.

Posted 12/31/2009 10:21 AM   
Something strange happened last night as I was fiddling with the PC, trying different things, and mentally preparing myself for another clean install (number 7).
I was browsing the Net, looking for clues, and happened upon a page for Device Doctor. It is a Freeware program that scans the PC and gives download links to newer drivers.
Now I thought that, having gotten all the drivers from the Asus and Nvidia sites was good enough, but apparently both the RealTek HD Audio and the JMicron drivers had newer versions out. It also found a Nvidia driver I'd never heard of before called 15.37_nforce_win7_64bit_international-whql that weighed in at a whopping 169MB, as compared to the ones around 108-135MB that I'd seen before. It has the Nvidia PhysX driver right in there with it.
I thought about the Language and Region fix, but as mine already was in English, I changed them to another Language (English - Zimbabwe), and then back again. I then took a deep breath, and began with the strange new video driver.
Not holding out much hope, I went through the uninstallation and cleaning routine, and was not surprised when I got to my desktop, and Aero was still not working. But because I had not gotten that pesky nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, I decided to work with it further.
In my Device Manager, the two instances of my 9800 GX2 still had the little yellow warning signs on them, so before giving up and going to bed (6AM), I decided to install the same driver over itself, no cleaning, no nothing, just a last ditch effort after 8 hours of disappointment.
And it worked!
Although the screen did some worrisome blacking out, and resolution changing during the process, once I rebooted, Aero was back, and the little yellow warning signs were gone from the Device Manager. I rebooted 3 times, and each time the PC not only reached the Desktop, but with Aero enabled!
It also booted right up this morning, and I played a bit of Dragon Age without any hitching or BSOD's.
So that's where it stands. It is working, for now, and with the Tweak guide I learned about on the Win 7 Forums to read up on, I am a very happy camper.
Here's the link for the guide [url="http://TweakGuides.com%20-%20Nvidia%20Forceware%20Tweak%20Guide"]Nvidia Driver Tweak Guide[/url]
One more strange thing in all of this is that I had much better luck using the 64 bit version of Win 7 than the 32 bit, hopefully this is good news for the future.
Thank you very much for the help in this.
Something strange happened last night as I was fiddling with the PC, trying different things, and mentally preparing myself for another clean install (number 7).

I was browsing the Net, looking for clues, and happened upon a page for Device Doctor. It is a Freeware program that scans the PC and gives download links to newer drivers.

Now I thought that, having gotten all the drivers from the Asus and Nvidia sites was good enough, but apparently both the RealTek HD Audio and the JMicron drivers had newer versions out. It also found a Nvidia driver I'd never heard of before called 15.37_nforce_win7_64bit_international-whql that weighed in at a whopping 169MB, as compared to the ones around 108-135MB that I'd seen before. It has the Nvidia PhysX driver right in there with it.

I thought about the Language and Region fix, but as mine already was in English, I changed them to another Language (English - Zimbabwe), and then back again. I then took a deep breath, and began with the strange new video driver.

Not holding out much hope, I went through the uninstallation and cleaning routine, and was not surprised when I got to my desktop, and Aero was still not working. But because I had not gotten that pesky nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, I decided to work with it further.

In my Device Manager, the two instances of my 9800 GX2 still had the little yellow warning signs on them, so before giving up and going to bed (6AM), I decided to install the same driver over itself, no cleaning, no nothing, just a last ditch effort after 8 hours of disappointment.

And it worked!

Although the screen did some worrisome blacking out, and resolution changing during the process, once I rebooted, Aero was back, and the little yellow warning signs were gone from the Device Manager. I rebooted 3 times, and each time the PC not only reached the Desktop, but with Aero enabled!

It also booted right up this morning, and I played a bit of Dragon Age without any hitching or BSOD's.

So that's where it stands. It is working, for now, and with the Tweak guide I learned about on the Win 7 Forums to read up on, I am a very happy camper.

Here's the link for the guide Nvidia Driver Tweak Guide

One more strange thing in all of this is that I had much better luck using the 64 bit version of Win 7 than the 32 bit, hopefully this is good news for the future.

Thank you very much for the help in this.

Posted 12/31/2009 06:30 PM   
This worked for me also however I still cannot install any other driver over the top of this version.
This worked for me also however I still cannot install any other driver over the top of this version.

Posted 01/01/2010 05:59 AM   
the nvidia update doesnt work for me either. all i get is a black screen. the ms update works great.

HP Pavilion P6210Y
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Nvidia GeForce 9100
the nvidia update doesnt work for me either. all i get is a black screen. the ms update works great.

HP Pavilion P6210Y

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Nvidia GeForce 9100

Posted 01/01/2010 09:28 PM   
im having same issues but my problem is worst.
the driver crashing every now & then :( , blank screen, colorful stripes :(
im having same issues but my problem is worst.

the driver crashing every now & then :( , blank screen, colorful stripes :(

Posted 01/15/2010 11:20 AM   
Maybe this will help:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180860"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180860[/url]
Maybe this will help:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180860

Alienware Area 51 X58 | ASUS X58 P6T Deluxe motherboard with integrated sound (SoundMAX) | Core i7 940 2.93 GHz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHZ (3 x ELPIDA 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ JEDEC STANDARD PC3-1066) | NVIDIA GTX 680, 4GB | Win 7 Home Premium x64 | Dell 2408WFP monitor, 1920x1200, 60 Hz | WESTERN DIGITAL 300GB 10K rpm SATA HDD REV2 main hard drive | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm SATA secondary | Seagate FreeAgent Extreme 1.3 TB eSATA external | 1000 watt power supply

Posted 10/11/2010 11:52 PM   
Maybe this will help:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180860"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180860[/url]
Maybe this will help:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180860

Alienware Area 51 X58 | ASUS X58 P6T Deluxe motherboard with integrated sound (SoundMAX) | Core i7 940 2.93 GHz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHZ (3 x ELPIDA 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ JEDEC STANDARD PC3-1066) | NVIDIA GTX 680, 4GB | Win 7 Home Premium x64 | Dell 2408WFP monitor, 1920x1200, 60 Hz | WESTERN DIGITAL 300GB 10K rpm SATA HDD REV2 main hard drive | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm SATA secondary | Seagate FreeAgent Extreme 1.3 TB eSATA external | 1000 watt power supply

Posted 10/11/2010 11:52 PM   
Scroll To Top