BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error
I have recently just reinstalled Win 7 (64 bit) as I was having ongoing BSOD issues when booting up with SLI enabled. I'd tried several versions of drivers and ended up going for a compeltely fresh intstall as the whole OS seemed to be a bit unstable and was no longer recognizing the Nvidia cards (to much driver cleaner action I think)

Once I reinstalled Win 7 I put on drivers 191.07 as these had been stable in the past, my problems coming when I updated to 195.xx versions.
The system appeared to be stable for a day or so but is now encountering a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys error if I boot up with SLI enabled. I've removed the SLI bridge to force a non SLI boot to be able to get online to post.

For the day or so it seemed to be stable I could not get the SLI graph to show in game so couldn't prove that SLi was working (the control panel showed it enabled and nHancer showed it enabled but the graph never appeared when running games like Half-Life 2, Arma 2).

System spec is:
Win 7 64 bit
Asus P755D-Evo motherboard
Intel i5 750 processor
2 x XFX GTX 275 video cards
2x2Gb Cosair PC3-12800 Dominator
Tagan 1100W power supply

I'm at a total loss as to why I can't get a stable system on a fresh install and drivers that were stable in the past, any ideas would be much appreciated. It's getting to the point that trying to get SLI to work seems totally pointless, except having paid for the 2 cards I would like the benefit of them!!!

Regards
Del
I have recently just reinstalled Win 7 (64 bit) as I was having ongoing BSOD issues when booting up with SLI enabled. I'd tried several versions of drivers and ended up going for a compeltely fresh intstall as the whole OS seemed to be a bit unstable and was no longer recognizing the Nvidia cards (to much driver cleaner action I think)

Once I reinstalled Win 7 I put on drivers 191.07 as these had been stable in the past, my problems coming when I updated to 195.xx versions.

The system appeared to be stable for a day or so but is now encountering a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys error if I boot up with SLI enabled. I've removed the SLI bridge to force a non SLI boot to be able to get online to post.

For the day or so it seemed to be stable I could not get the SLI graph to show in game so couldn't prove that SLi was working (the control panel showed it enabled and nHancer showed it enabled but the graph never appeared when running games like Half-Life 2, Arma 2).

System spec is:

Win 7 64 bit

Asus P755D-Evo motherboard

Intel i5 750 processor

2 x XFX GTX 275 video cards

2x2Gb Cosair PC3-12800 Dominator

Tagan 1100W power supply

I'm at a total loss as to why I can't get a stable system on a fresh install and drivers that were stable in the past, any ideas would be much appreciated. It's getting to the point that trying to get SLI to work seems totally pointless, except having paid for the 2 cards I would like the benefit of them!!!

Regards

Del

Posted 12/29/2009 09:34 AM   
Anything overclocked ?

Removing the SLi bridge does not disable SLi, it still operates but at a lesser performance. You can disable SLi in the control panel [if you can get to it], or by removing 1 of the cards.

If you haven't got anything overclocked you may have a bad card/PCIe slot, so the disable SLi route is a good path to try to atleast rule this out. Try both cards independantly and see if you still get BSOD's.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but you need to rule out the posibillity of faulty hardware before you can proceed.

Stick with the 191 drivers while you test, as you know this worked before.

Remember to try 1 test at a time, and be patient, you may want to pull your hair out at times, but troubleshooting and eventually finding a solution can be rewarding at times.. Put your engineering hat on :).
Anything overclocked ?

Removing the SLi bridge does not disable SLi, it still operates but at a lesser performance. You can disable SLi in the control panel [if you can get to it], or by removing 1 of the cards.

If you haven't got anything overclocked you may have a bad card/PCIe slot, so the disable SLi route is a good path to try to atleast rule this out. Try both cards independantly and see if you still get BSOD's.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but you need to rule out the posibillity of faulty hardware before you can proceed.

Stick with the 191 drivers while you test, as you know this worked before.

Remember to try 1 test at a time, and be patient, you may want to pull your hair out at times, but troubleshooting and eventually finding a solution can be rewarding at times.. Put your engineering hat on :).

Posted 12/29/2009 10:11 AM   
I have this same problem when booting windows 7 with sli enabled! All hardware functions correctly in windows. I can install one or the other gtx260 cards and boot windows. And I can install both cards with sli bridge and boot windows. After install of nvidia driver I can go to the nvidia setup screen and enable sli and it works fine and all hardware checks out and no issues that I can see with programs. But if I reboot windows with sli enabled it will give me the bsod and pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. I can shut sli off and reboot windows or shut system down and boot again with no problems, then I can re-enable sli and use it until I need to reboot or shut down.

I have this issue with both ver 195 driver and the next older driver ver. never tried any others as this is a new build!

nvlddmkm.sys is reported on the blue screen
no overclock, no mods
system specs
asus p55d evo mother board
2x asus engtx 260 video cards
core I7 860 proc.
8 gig memory 1333
thermaltake 1200w power supply

Any help with this issue would be great!
thanks
I have this same problem when booting windows 7 with sli enabled! All hardware functions correctly in windows. I can install one or the other gtx260 cards and boot windows. And I can install both cards with sli bridge and boot windows. After install of nvidia driver I can go to the nvidia setup screen and enable sli and it works fine and all hardware checks out and no issues that I can see with programs. But if I reboot windows with sli enabled it will give me the bsod and pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. I can shut sli off and reboot windows or shut system down and boot again with no problems, then I can re-enable sli and use it until I need to reboot or shut down.

I have this issue with both ver 195 driver and the next older driver ver. never tried any others as this is a new build!

no overclock, no mods

system specs

core I7 860 proc.

8 gig memory 1333

thanks

Posted 12/31/2009 11:22 PM   
[quote name='mountaindew' post='973421' date='Dec 31 2009, 06:22 PM']I have this same problem when booting windows 7 with sli enabled! All hardware functions correctly in windows. I can install one or the other gtx260 cards and boot windows. And I can install both cards with sli bridge and boot windows. After install of nvidia driver I can go to the nvidia setup screen and enable sli and it works fine and all hardware checks out and no issues that I can see with programs. But if I reboot windows with sli enabled it will give me the bsod and pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. I can shut sli off and reboot windows or shut system down and boot again with no problems, then I can re-enable sli and use it until I need to reboot or shut down.

no overclock, no mods
system specs
core I7 860 proc.
8 gig memory 1333

thanks[/quote]

I have the same exact problem. I recently bought a second GTS 250 and upon enabling SLI Windows will crash on boot. I thought it was a power issue, so I upgrade my power supply to a 700W unit which should be plenty for my setup. It didn't change anything. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate. The only workaround I can think of is to enable SLI upon startup and disable before shutdown. Not ideal.
[quote name='mountaindew' post='973421' date='Dec 31 2009, 06:22 PM']I have this same problem when booting windows 7 with sli enabled! All hardware functions correctly in windows. I can install one or the other gtx260 cards and boot windows. And I can install both cards with sli bridge and boot windows. After install of nvidia driver I can go to the nvidia setup screen and enable sli and it works fine and all hardware checks out and no issues that I can see with programs. But if I reboot windows with sli enabled it will give me the bsod and pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. I can shut sli off and reboot windows or shut system down and boot again with no problems, then I can re-enable sli and use it until I need to reboot or shut down.

no overclock, no mods

system specs

core I7 860 proc.

8 gig memory 1333

thanks

I have the same exact problem. I recently bought a second GTS 250 and upon enabling SLI Windows will crash on boot. I thought it was a power issue, so I upgrade my power supply to a 700W unit which should be plenty for my setup. It didn't change anything. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate. The only workaround I can think of is to enable SLI upon startup and disable before shutdown. Not ideal.

Posted 01/01/2010 10:29 PM   
I found a resolution for my problem. After looking over at the EVGA forums, it was suggested there is a problem with the most recent Realtek Network Adaptor drivers provided by the latest Windows Update. I did a roll back of these drivers in device manager and now my SLI is available to enable and I no longer crash upon boot.
I found a resolution for my problem. After looking over at the EVGA forums, it was suggested there is a problem with the most recent Realtek Network Adaptor drivers provided by the latest Windows Update. I did a roll back of these drivers in device manager and now my SLI is available to enable and I no longer crash upon boot.

Posted 01/04/2010 05:09 AM   
Hey Fishing.irish, thanks for your follow up, and reply!
I will give this try and post about my results.
Any idea what realtek version you rolled back to?
Thanks for all help!!!
Hey Fishing.irish, thanks for your follow up, and reply!

I will give this try and post about my results.

Any idea what realtek version you rolled back to?

Thanks for all help!!!

Posted 01/04/2010 04:12 PM   
Fishing.irish THANKYOU
That fixed the problem!
Please thank the people on the evga forum for the tip!
MD!
Fishing.irish THANKYOU

That fixed the problem!

Please thank the people on the evga forum for the tip!

MD!

Posted 01/04/2010 04:29 PM   
@fishing.irish

Rolling back the RealTek Network Adaptor driver worked for me, too! Good job!
@fishing.irish

Rolling back the RealTek Network Adaptor driver worked for me, too! Good job!

Posted 01/15/2010 06:37 AM   
Hi.
For sometime now I have Windows 7 and ever since I get a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys, each time I restart, shutdown or put it to hybrid sleep it happens, so I waited, until today, installed new forceware drivers as they came out, but the same still happens, I don't have any realtek network adapter, is there some other way around this sometimes boring BSOD? /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

Here are my specs, no overclock, no mods.

System Specs:
MB: ASUS Crosshair II Formula (latest BIOS updated)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition
RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DHT DDR2 800Mhz + 2x 2GB OCZ Special Ops DDR2 800Mhz
VGA: 1x XFX 9800GX2, 1x ASUS 9800GX2 (Quad-SLI), onboard Chipset GPU nForce 780a SLI (running PhysX)
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power M1000 1000Watts (Max. Output Capacity 1200 Watts)

A little extra, I don't use the onboard sound card, instead I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, also the native resolution of my monitor is 1920x1200 if it matters.

Any help with this little problem would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Hi.

For sometime now I have Windows 7 and ever since I get a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys, each time I restart, shutdown or put it to hybrid sleep it happens, so I waited, until today, installed new forceware drivers as they came out, but the same still happens, I don't have any realtek network adapter, is there some other way around this sometimes boring BSOD? /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

System Specs:

VGA: 1x XFX 9800GX2, 1x ASUS 9800GX2 (Quad-SLI), onboard Chipset GPU nForce 780a SLI (running PhysX)

A little extra, I don't use the onboard sound card, instead I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, also the native resolution of my monitor is 1920x1200 if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 01/21/2010 09:56 PM   
[quote name='Revolted' post='985825' date='Jan 21 2010, 04:56 PM']Hi.

System Specs:

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I had the same problem with 2x gtx 285 cards and evga x58 3x sli motherboard. I found that Logitech has a problem with drivers for quick cam 9000 and when I unplugged any nonessential usb devices the system would start and sli would be enabled. Previously, the option to enable sli would disappear whenever I turned off the computer and restarted. I even have the problem with bsod and a nvlddmkm.sys error if there is a dvd in the drive when starting.

Maybe this will help you as well

MB : EVGA X58 3X SLI
CPU : INTEL COR I7 920 2.66GHz
RAM : 6GM DDR3 1600MHz
VGA: 2X GTX285 1Gb
PSU: 1000W Digital Storm Certified
[quote name='Revolted' post='985825' date='Jan 21 2010, 04:56 PM']Hi.

System Specs:

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with 2x gtx 285 cards and evga x58 3x sli motherboard. I found that Logitech has a problem with drivers for quick cam 9000 and when I unplugged any nonessential usb devices the system would start and sli would be enabled. Previously, the option to enable sli would disappear whenever I turned off the computer and restarted. I even have the problem with bsod and a nvlddmkm.sys error if there is a dvd in the drive when starting.

Maybe this will help you as well

MB : EVGA X58 3X SLI

CPU : INTEL COR I7 920 2.66GHz

RAM : 6GM DDR3 1600MHz

VGA: 2X GTX285 1Gb

PSU: 1000W Digital Storm Certified

Posted 01/23/2010 05:52 PM   
[quote name='fishing.irish' post='975076' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:09 AM']I found a resolution for my problem. After looking over at the EVGA forums, it was suggested there is a problem with the most recent Realtek Network Adaptor drivers provided by the latest Windows Update. I did a roll back of these drivers in device manager and now my SLI is available to enable and I no longer crash upon boot.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, this has solved my SLI problems (so far).
Rolled back the Realtek driver to the November one and am using 191.07 drivers.

Resisting temptation to update Nvidia drivers again :-)
[quote name='fishing.irish' post='975076' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:09 AM']I found a resolution for my problem. After looking over at the EVGA forums, it was suggested there is a problem with the most recent Realtek Network Adaptor drivers provided by the latest Windows Update. I did a roll back of these drivers in device manager and now my SLI is available to enable and I no longer crash upon boot.

Thanks for the tip, this has solved my SLI problems (so far).

Rolled back the Realtek driver to the November one and am using 191.07 drivers.

Resisting temptation to update Nvidia drivers again :-)

Posted 01/30/2010 11:00 PM   
[quote name='fishing.irish' post='975076' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:09 PM']I found a resolution for my problem. After looking over at the EVGA forums, it was suggested there is a problem with the most recent Realtek Network Adaptor drivers provided by the latest Windows Update. I did a roll back of these drivers in device manager and now my SLI is available to enable and I no longer crash upon boot.[/quote]

You are the man, thank you for posting this fix.

Resolved my problem with 2x GTS 260 on Windows 7. Started to get random blue screen, very rare, shortly after doing the Windows update on the Realtek drivers.

Rolled the drivers back, problem gone.
[quote name='fishing.irish' post='975076' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:09 PM']I found a resolution for my problem. After looking over at the EVGA forums, it was suggested there is a problem with the most recent Realtek Network Adaptor drivers provided by the latest Windows Update. I did a roll back of these drivers in device manager and now my SLI is available to enable and I no longer crash upon boot.

You are the man, thank you for posting this fix.

Resolved my problem with 2x GTS 260 on Windows 7. Started to get random blue screen, very rare, shortly after doing the Windows update on the Realtek drivers.

Rolled the drivers back, problem gone.

Posted 02/24/2010 06:01 PM   
I am having the same problem but I have all the red flag factors that have been known to cause it! Those being:
1) logitec webcam pro 9000
2) Realtek Network Adaptor
3) Nvidia gForce gts 450 (although just one card)
I tried to find the older realtek driver version but Asus has the somewhat updated version for my motherboard. Can you post your version?

[quote name='fishing.irish' date='04 January 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1262581741' post='975076']
[/quote]
I am having the same problem but I have all the red flag factors that have been known to cause it! Those being:

1) logitec webcam pro 9000

2) Realtek Network Adaptor

3) Nvidia gForce gts 450 (although just one card)

I tried to find the older realtek driver version but Asus has the somewhat updated version for my motherboard. Can you post your version?

[quote name='fishing.irish' date='04 January 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1262581741' post='975076']

Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 950, 6GB DDR3-1600 Corsair CMX6GX3M3A100C9, 600W psu thermaltake TR2

single NVIDIA GTS 450, 2 1TB Samsung HD103SJ in RAID 0 configuration, Cooler Master V6GT cpu cooler,

CoolMaster 690 Case containing USB 2.0 x 2 , eSATA x 1 , MIC x 1 , Audio x 1 (supports HD / AC97 audio)

LG DVD writable drive, Vantec Media card reader with usb port

Dell U2410 monitor

Posted 03/05/2012 04:08 AM   
My solution was simply to get a better card! My original card was the EVGA Geforce GTS 450. My new card is the PNY Geforce GTX 550Ti. The problems seemed to have started when I got my logitech web cam but in reality, it was when I replaced my 19" Gateway monitor with a Dell U2410 that runs at much higher resolution of 1920x1200. I guess the card has a hard time pushing this resolution?!?!!?! Shocking but that seems to have done the trick. My suggestion is to lower your resolution. If that helps, buy a new card! That's what I did. Certainly a lot easier than spending days removing/reinstalling/upgrading drivers and worrying about a PSU or memory which were perfectly fine. Although, I would have loved for it to have been the memory, as it would have been 1/2 the price :)
Anyhow, I hope this helps people as it sure seems to have me. It's only day one w/o a crash but for the first time, I was able to stress test the GPU with OCCT - passing with flying colors :)
If indeed, this is not fixed, I will remove this post but I'm pretty sure I'm good now!
My solution was simply to get a better card! My original card was the EVGA Geforce GTS 450. My new card is the PNY Geforce GTX 550Ti. The problems seemed to have started when I got my logitech web cam but in reality, it was when I replaced my 19" Gateway monitor with a Dell U2410 that runs at much higher resolution of 1920x1200. I guess the card has a hard time pushing this resolution?!?!!?! Shocking but that seems to have done the trick. My suggestion is to lower your resolution. If that helps, buy a new card! That's what I did. Certainly a lot easier than spending days removing/reinstalling/upgrading drivers and worrying about a PSU or memory which were perfectly fine. Although, I would have loved for it to have been the memory, as it would have been 1/2 the price :)

Anyhow, I hope this helps people as it sure seems to have me. It's only day one w/o a crash but for the first time, I was able to stress test the GPU with OCCT - passing with flying colors :)

If indeed, this is not fixed, I will remove this post but I'm pretty sure I'm good now!

Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 950, 6GB DDR3-1600 Corsair CMX6GX3M3A100C9, 600W psu thermaltake TR2

single NVIDIA GTS 450, 2 1TB Samsung HD103SJ in RAID 0 configuration, Cooler Master V6GT cpu cooler,

CoolMaster 690 Case containing USB 2.0 x 2 , eSATA x 1 , MIC x 1 , Audio x 1 (supports HD / AC97 audio)

LG DVD writable drive, Vantec Media card reader with usb port

Dell U2410 monitor

Posted 03/27/2012 01:56 AM   
Scroll To Top