vista and windows 7 limits crt resolution and refresh rate, and possible solution why and how to all
[b]EDIT - *This will resolve win7 not showing all your ctr resolutions and refresh rates. Using the beta 3d vision v1.19 cd did fix the 3d vision software allowing my monitor to be detected and used*[/b]

I type a lot so be ready to read. I'd also like to hear what solutions others have to the problem of 3d vision software not detecting crt monitor.

I've posted this here because 3d vision is the only reason i'm concerned with refresh rates, and i probably would have accepted that vista and win7 restricts resolution and refresh rate on most crt monitors if i wasn't so cheap and wouldn't accept being FORCED to go buy a '3d ready lcd' to use my 3d vision glasses.

[b]THE PROBLEM -[/b]
Vista and Windows 7 / win7 / win 7 will not allow you to use all the resolutions and refresh rates that your rocking crt is capable of handleing. not only will it not display them as possible resolutions, but when i moved from vista to win7 today it wouldn't even let me add the custom resolutions and refresh rates. it wouldn't even try to test them. it simply said it wasn't listed so wasn't allowed. HUGE PROBLEM! (vista allowed adding custom resolutions and that solved this problem for me previously)

The main problem however is that for the moment my $200 3d vision glasses are useless untill the 3d vision software will detect my monitor as 3d ready.

[b]THE CAUSE -[/b]
Vista and Win7 are DUMB and will [u]ONLY[/u] display the settings that are programmed in the monitors EDID (Extended Display Identification Data). (regaurdless of driver info)

Here is where i got this info and a much better explaination then i'm going to do. READ THIS PAGE.
[url="http://nookkin.com/content/allowing-any-screen-resolution-on-vista.php"]http://nookkin.com/content/allowing-any-sc...on-on-vista.php[/url]

In case the link is dead then here is a quick run down. Vista and Win7 will ONLY display the settings that are in the monitors EDID(Extended Display Identification Data). this is a big part of 'plug and play' but it really screws over CRT monitors because most will display resolutions and refresh rates beyond what is in the EDID. This wasn't an issue before because DRIVERS would tell the os what the monitor could ACTUALLY do. but who needs drivers when you cans simply cut half the legs off your race horse crt to go with only what the EDID is programmed with.

[b]PARTIAL POSSIBLE SOLUTION -[/b]
Here is what "worked" for me. [u][b]*This requires physically modifying your vga cable so if your not comfortable doing this then DON'T*[/b][/u] also the page i reference suggests using a small adapter cable to modify, and definitely not the ONLY vga cable you have in case it causes more problems then solves. i'm not responsible for your actions, this is just what worked for me.

Pull/cut/remove the pin #12 on your vga cable (google vga pin layout to be sure which is pin 12). This is the DDC pin (Display Data Channel) which transmits the EDID information. This will cause win7 to see your crt monitor as a 'generic display'. you would hope this would fix the problem at this point but no it didn't for me. win7 STILL wouldn't let me put in custom resolutions. At least it is now free of being slave to the EDID info in the monitor, so now i had to tell win7 to us a specific driver for my monitor that i modified to be 64bit compatible. Then it showed up as an 'analog display' and then it actually allowed the resolutions my monitor was capable of AND i could enter in custom resolutions and it would actually test them and save them rather then say it wasn't in the list and not allow it.

removing pin 12 might work for you, but be prepaired for it not to work, definitely have another normal vga cable to go back to if you need to. and if it doesn't work on it's own find a driver for you monitor that you can tell the os what your monitor can really do.

This has unlocked all my resolutions, but now the 3d vision software STILL won't detect my monitor as 3d ready, which really was the whole point of this. for some reason it launches the 3d setup wizard in 1600x1200 at the max refresh rate regaurdless of what res or rate i'm currently in. I'm not sure where it's pulling 1600x1200 out off, perhaps something in the driver calls that out as the native res that i don't realize. if i limit the max rate through the driver to 120hz (what i think the 3d wizard is looking for) my monitor can't display this at 1600x1200, but it can at 100hz, which IS the crt spec for 3d vision, but still isn't detected as 3d ready by the wizard. so i guess i'll write nvidia support now.

[b]OTHER THOUGHTS, RANTS, AND RAVES-[/b]

If you are like me and trying to get your crt to work with 3d vision then first of all be SURE that your crt can actually support 3d vision specs before going through this. The horizontal refresh rate is usuall the big limiter so if the specs on your monitor say that the horizontal fresh rate is less then 120khz then it's probably not worth messing with honestly. my monitors have a horizontal refresh rate of 130kz so that allows for me to go 1600x1200@100hz which is generally what i 3d game at, some games i might go 1280x1024@119hz but usually perfer the higher res then refresh rate, but depends on how well your monitor handles ghosting. ALL MONITORS are going to have SOME SLIGHT ghosting, the glasses only block 80% of the light so in high contrast like left 4 dead flash lightS where there is solid white next to black you will get see slight ghosting. the only way to stop this is to have the glasses block 100% of the light when dark.

it's sucks that we have to go through this kind of garbage in this day and age, but no one wants to write drivers anymore. windows just wants thier os to work so it goes strictly off EDID, nvidia just wants to sell $200 3d glasses without having to write drivers for every crt out there and provide actual solutions to this problem. it's pretty unrealistic to expect everyone to drop $500 on 3d glasses and a new '3d ready lcd'. especially when there are so many AWESOME crt monitors still out there. I have an hp p1130 (off craiglist trade for 25 blank CDRs) and a sony g520 (the same trinitron tube) and they are awesome for 3D IF you can get them to work with the os, nvidia, and the game. it's a shame that's turned out to be such a big IF. If i had known what a pain and how much effort this was going to take i don't know if i would have dropped the $200 on the glasses, but having done it i have to admit some games are just INSAINLY BETTER in 3d, while others are cool but give me a headache after a while, and others are just down right unplayable.

NVIDIA SUPPORT YOUR PRODUCT!! Didn't they work with Microsoft in developing the new os? don't you have a deparment devoted to 3d vision? didn't you look into crt support BEFORE win7 was released? it's obvious that nvidia just doesn't really want to have to actually deal with people using crt monitors for 3d, yet they can't own up to telling people that they will most likely need to also buy an expensive new lcd monitor for the glasses and software to work right with thier drivers. Nvidia needs to put a BIG warning about trying to use 3d vision with crt monitors. If nvidia actually backed up thier product they would have a full refund guarantee when buying these $200 glasses. I bet thier crt support would be much better if they actually had a risk of not keeping thier crt customers. but i guess it's easier to dump it on the monitor manufactures that NEVER had 3d vision specs in mind when it came to programming EDID info in crt's. The average joe customers aren't williing to go through this junk just to HACK and mod AROUND the problem to make thier product work.

ANYWAY... now i'm rocking 2048x1536@60hz on my desketop on win7, which is perdy but not so sold on any real reason to 'upgrade' to win7 other then i needed to reinstall my os.

Sorry nvidia if i sound frustrated but this stuff is FRUSTRATING. i've only ever used nvidia support once and it was for this very problem of getting crt to work with what they gave me out of the box and then updating my video drivers. Thier support was fast at the very least and it did turn out that it was a problem with thier drivers, and getting the right combination of 3d vision software with graphics drivers for my card. so perhaps it's simply thier drivers again not allowing for actually testing and saving custom res and refresh rates in win7. Since i have looked into this problem so much before i was going to try the solutions i already knew of before swaping emails with someone in india telling me to install the latest drivers.

i didn't have to go through this in vista because it would actually allow me to enter custom resolutions and it would actually test them and save them, but switching to win7 today was a nightmare. win7 would simply say the res and rate wasn't listed and wouldn't even test them. so a cable mod, and edited driver to 64bit later and it's SORT OF working..

i'll go ahead and add this since it was a pain to find out as well as far as i could tell to turn a driver into 64 bit you just have to add NTamd64 into the manufacturer discription part of the driver.. i'm no expert but have enough know how to read what others have done and apply it to my problem. i'll go ahead and copy and past the hp p1130 driver i modified back when i first was trying to deal with this in vista.

GOOD LUCK AND AGAIN TROUBLESHOOT AT YOUR OWN RISK. this is what worked for me :)

[b]COPY OF MY HP P1130 DRIVER I MODED FOR 64BIT -[/b]

;================================
;P1130.INF MESSED WITH TO MAKE IT VISTA / WIN7 64BIT
;
;
;This is a setupfile for HP P1130
;Monitors
;
;------------------------------------------------
[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
[b]Provider=%HP%[/b]
CatalogFile=P1130.cat
DriverVer=08/01/2001, 2.0

;-------------------------------------------------
[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect.nt=Monitor\HWP12D3

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=11
P1130.CopyFiles=23

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%DISK%,,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
P1130.icm=1

; Manufacturers
[Manufacturer]
%HP%=HP, [b]NTamd64[/b]

; Manufacturer sections
[HP.[b]NTamd64[/b]]
%P1130%=P1130.Install, Monitor\HWP12D3
; Install Sections

[P1130.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=P1130.AddReg, 2048, DPMS
CopyFiles=P1130.CopyFiles

; AddReg & DelReg sections

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[2048]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"2048,1536"

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

; AddReg sections
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[P1130.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\2048,1536",Mode1,,"30.0-130.0,48.0-170.0,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"P1130.icm"

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[P1130.CopyFiles]
P1130.icm

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Strings]
DISK="hp p1130 INF Software"
HP="HP"
P1130="hp p1130 Color Monitor"
EDIT - *This will resolve win7 not showing all your ctr resolutions and refresh rates. Using the beta 3d vision v1.19 cd did fix the 3d vision software allowing my monitor to be detected and used*

I type a lot so be ready to read. I'd also like to hear what solutions others have to the problem of 3d vision software not detecting crt monitor.

I've posted this here because 3d vision is the only reason i'm concerned with refresh rates, and i probably would have accepted that vista and win7 restricts resolution and refresh rate on most crt monitors if i wasn't so cheap and wouldn't accept being FORCED to go buy a '3d ready lcd' to use my 3d vision glasses.

THE PROBLEM -

Vista and Windows 7 / win7 / win 7 will not allow you to use all the resolutions and refresh rates that your rocking crt is capable of handleing. not only will it not display them as possible resolutions, but when i moved from vista to win7 today it wouldn't even let me add the custom resolutions and refresh rates. it wouldn't even try to test them. it simply said it wasn't listed so wasn't allowed. HUGE PROBLEM! (vista allowed adding custom resolutions and that solved this problem for me previously)

The main problem however is that for the moment my $200 3d vision glasses are useless untill the 3d vision software will detect my monitor as 3d ready.

THE CAUSE -

Vista and Win7 are DUMB and will ONLY display the settings that are programmed in the monitors EDID (Extended Display Identification Data). (regaurdless of driver info)

Here is where i got this info and a much better explaination then i'm going to do. READ THIS PAGE.

http://nookkin.com/content/allowing-any-sc...on-on-vista.php

In case the link is dead then here is a quick run down. Vista and Win7 will ONLY display the settings that are in the monitors EDID(Extended Display Identification Data). this is a big part of 'plug and play' but it really screws over CRT monitors because most will display resolutions and refresh rates beyond what is in the EDID. This wasn't an issue before because DRIVERS would tell the os what the monitor could ACTUALLY do. but who needs drivers when you cans simply cut half the legs off your race horse crt to go with only what the EDID is programmed with.

PARTIAL POSSIBLE SOLUTION -

Here is what "worked" for me. *This requires physically modifying your vga cable so if your not comfortable doing this then DON'T* also the page i reference suggests using a small adapter cable to modify, and definitely not the ONLY vga cable you have in case it causes more problems then solves. i'm not responsible for your actions, this is just what worked for me.

Pull/cut/remove the pin #12 on your vga cable (google vga pin layout to be sure which is pin 12). This is the DDC pin (Display Data Channel) which transmits the EDID information. This will cause win7 to see your crt monitor as a 'generic display'. you would hope this would fix the problem at this point but no it didn't for me. win7 STILL wouldn't let me put in custom resolutions. At least it is now free of being slave to the EDID info in the monitor, so now i had to tell win7 to us a specific driver for my monitor that i modified to be 64bit compatible. Then it showed up as an 'analog display' and then it actually allowed the resolutions my monitor was capable of AND i could enter in custom resolutions and it would actually test them and save them rather then say it wasn't in the list and not allow it.

removing pin 12 might work for you, but be prepaired for it not to work, definitely have another normal vga cable to go back to if you need to. and if it doesn't work on it's own find a driver for you monitor that you can tell the os what your monitor can really do.

This has unlocked all my resolutions, but now the 3d vision software STILL won't detect my monitor as 3d ready, which really was the whole point of this. for some reason it launches the 3d setup wizard in 1600x1200 at the max refresh rate regaurdless of what res or rate i'm currently in. I'm not sure where it's pulling 1600x1200 out off, perhaps something in the driver calls that out as the native res that i don't realize. if i limit the max rate through the driver to 120hz (what i think the 3d wizard is looking for) my monitor can't display this at 1600x1200, but it can at 100hz, which IS the crt spec for 3d vision, but still isn't detected as 3d ready by the wizard. so i guess i'll write nvidia support now.

OTHER THOUGHTS, RANTS, AND RAVES-

If you are like me and trying to get your crt to work with 3d vision then first of all be SURE that your crt can actually support 3d vision specs before going through this. The horizontal refresh rate is usuall the big limiter so if the specs on your monitor say that the horizontal fresh rate is less then 120khz then it's probably not worth messing with honestly. my monitors have a horizontal refresh rate of 130kz so that allows for me to go 1600x1200@100hz which is generally what i 3d game at, some games i might go 1280x1024@119hz but usually perfer the higher res then refresh rate, but depends on how well your monitor handles ghosting. ALL MONITORS are going to have SOME SLIGHT ghosting, the glasses only block 80% of the light so in high contrast like left 4 dead flash lightS where there is solid white next to black you will get see slight ghosting. the only way to stop this is to have the glasses block 100% of the light when dark.

it's sucks that we have to go through this kind of garbage in this day and age, but no one wants to write drivers anymore. windows just wants thier os to work so it goes strictly off EDID, nvidia just wants to sell $200 3d glasses without having to write drivers for every crt out there and provide actual solutions to this problem. it's pretty unrealistic to expect everyone to drop $500 on 3d glasses and a new '3d ready lcd'. especially when there are so many AWESOME crt monitors still out there. I have an hp p1130 (off craiglist trade for 25 blank CDRs) and a sony g520 (the same trinitron tube) and they are awesome for 3D IF you can get them to work with the os, nvidia, and the game. it's a shame that's turned out to be such a big IF. If i had known what a pain and how much effort this was going to take i don't know if i would have dropped the $200 on the glasses, but having done it i have to admit some games are just INSAINLY BETTER in 3d, while others are cool but give me a headache after a while, and others are just down right unplayable.

NVIDIA SUPPORT YOUR PRODUCT!! Didn't they work with Microsoft in developing the new os? don't you have a deparment devoted to 3d vision? didn't you look into crt support BEFORE win7 was released? it's obvious that nvidia just doesn't really want to have to actually deal with people using crt monitors for 3d, yet they can't own up to telling people that they will most likely need to also buy an expensive new lcd monitor for the glasses and software to work right with thier drivers. Nvidia needs to put a BIG warning about trying to use 3d vision with crt monitors. If nvidia actually backed up thier product they would have a full refund guarantee when buying these $200 glasses. I bet thier crt support would be much better if they actually had a risk of not keeping thier crt customers. but i guess it's easier to dump it on the monitor manufactures that NEVER had 3d vision specs in mind when it came to programming EDID info in crt's. The average joe customers aren't williing to go through this junk just to HACK and mod AROUND the problem to make thier product work.

ANYWAY... now i'm rocking 2048x1536@60hz on my desketop on win7, which is perdy but not so sold on any real reason to 'upgrade' to win7 other then i needed to reinstall my os.

Sorry nvidia if i sound frustrated but this stuff is FRUSTRATING. i've only ever used nvidia support once and it was for this very problem of getting crt to work with what they gave me out of the box and then updating my video drivers. Thier support was fast at the very least and it did turn out that it was a problem with thier drivers, and getting the right combination of 3d vision software with graphics drivers for my card. so perhaps it's simply thier drivers again not allowing for actually testing and saving custom res and refresh rates in win7. Since i have looked into this problem so much before i was going to try the solutions i already knew of before swaping emails with someone in india telling me to install the latest drivers.

i didn't have to go through this in vista because it would actually allow me to enter custom resolutions and it would actually test them and save them, but switching to win7 today was a nightmare. win7 would simply say the res and rate wasn't listed and wouldn't even test them. so a cable mod, and edited driver to 64bit later and it's SORT OF working..

i'll go ahead and add this since it was a pain to find out as well as far as i could tell to turn a driver into 64 bit you just have to add NTamd64 into the manufacturer discription part of the driver.. i'm no expert but have enough know how to read what others have done and apply it to my problem. i'll go ahead and copy and past the hp p1130 driver i modified back when i first was trying to deal with this in vista.

GOOD LUCK AND AGAIN TROUBLESHOOT AT YOUR OWN RISK. this is what worked for me :)

COPY OF MY HP P1130 DRIVER I MODED FOR 64BIT -

;P1130.INF MESSED WITH TO MAKE IT VISTA / WIN7 64BIT

;

;

;This is a setupfile for HP P1130

;Monitors

;

;------------------------------------------------

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

Class=Monitor

ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider=%HP%

CatalogFile=P1130.cat

DriverVer=08/01/2001, 2.0

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect.nt=Monitor\HWP12D3

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir=11

P1130.CopyFiles=23

[SourceDisksNames]

1=%DISK%,,,

[SourceDisksFiles]

P1130.icm=1

; Manufacturers

[Manufacturer]

%HP%=HP, NTamd64

; Manufacturer sections

[HP.NTamd64]

%P1130%=P1130.Install, Monitor\HWP12D3

; Install Sections

[P1130.Install]

DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG

AddReg=P1130.AddReg, 2048, DPMS

CopyFiles=P1130.CopyFiles

; AddReg & DelReg sections

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]

HKR,MODES

HKR,,MaxResolution

HKR,,DPMS

HKR,,ICMProfile

[2048]

HKR,,MaxResolution,,"2048,1536"

[DPMS]

HKR,,DPMS,,1

; AddReg sections

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[P1130.AddReg]

HKR,"MODES\2048,1536",Mode1,,"30.0-130.0,48.0-170.0,+,+"

HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"P1130.icm"

[P1130.CopyFiles]

P1130.icm

[Strings]

DISK="hp p1130 INF Software"

HP="HP"

P1130="hp p1130 Color Monitor"

Posted 12/24/2009 01:10 PM   
[b]*UPDATE*[/b]
SO after much fighting with drivers i have gotten my 3d vision to work on win7 with my crt.

here is what i've done...I kept the moded cable connected. installed the beta 195.81 video and 3d vision drivers this allowed me to at least run the 3d setup wizard because it's now made for tv's and is much more forgiving i think about what setting it will allow it to run it. When i install these drivers it sets my crt monitor to a non plug n play monitor(cable mod). Now i'm actually able to go through the 3d wizard to enable the 3d and crt even though it really doesn't work in all res and rates because it still see's my monitor as a generic non plug n play. Once i have 3d enabled then i have to load the driver for my monitor that i modified to be 64bit friendly. NOW i can actually set all res and rates my monitor can handle AND my 3d is enables SO now i can test my 3d and select which refresh rate games will run at by checking the 'run all games at this rate' box for setting up the 3d test.

WHAT A PAIN!! but it's working for me...for now. i went through this yesterday only to find out that when my computer goes to sleep it totally jacks the ir device and it comes back from sleep 'red'.

just fyi i'm running an asus p5n-d 750i mobo, 8800 gt (pulled my 2nd 8800 gt for another box so no more sli), and hp p1130 crt monitor.

I'll have to see about connecting a regular vga cable up to my monitor just to see what it does with these new beta drivers.
*UPDATE*

SO after much fighting with drivers i have gotten my 3d vision to work on win7 with my crt.

here is what i've done...I kept the moded cable connected. installed the beta 195.81 video and 3d vision drivers this allowed me to at least run the 3d setup wizard because it's now made for tv's and is much more forgiving i think about what setting it will allow it to run it. When i install these drivers it sets my crt monitor to a non plug n play monitor(cable mod). Now i'm actually able to go through the 3d wizard to enable the 3d and crt even though it really doesn't work in all res and rates because it still see's my monitor as a generic non plug n play. Once i have 3d enabled then i have to load the driver for my monitor that i modified to be 64bit friendly. NOW i can actually set all res and rates my monitor can handle AND my 3d is enables SO now i can test my 3d and select which refresh rate games will run at by checking the 'run all games at this rate' box for setting up the 3d test.

WHAT A PAIN!! but it's working for me...for now. i went through this yesterday only to find out that when my computer goes to sleep it totally jacks the ir device and it comes back from sleep 'red'.

just fyi i'm running an asus p5n-d 750i mobo, 8800 gt (pulled my 2nd 8800 gt for another box so no more sli), and hp p1130 crt monitor.

I'll have to see about connecting a regular vga cable up to my monitor just to see what it does with these new beta drivers.

Posted 12/26/2009 10:44 AM   
[quote name='jabuki' post='970717' date='Dec 26 2009, 05:44 AM'][b]*UPDATE*[/b]

I'll have to see about connecting a regular vga cable up to my monitor just to see what it does with these new beta drivers.[/quote]

Hello i have a Dell p1230 this monitor works??? what else i need , i have a geforce 275 and the glasses form nvidia.

Gerard
[quote name='jabuki' post='970717' date='Dec 26 2009, 05:44 AM']*UPDATE*

Hello i have a Dell p1230 this monitor works??? what else i need , i have a geforce 275 and the glasses form nvidia.

Gerard

Posted 12/30/2009 01:19 AM   
[quote name='doomtux' post='972389' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:19 PM']Hello i have a Dell p1230 this monitor works??? what else i need , i have a geforce 275 and the glasses form nvidia.

Gerard[/quote]
yeah you have basicly the same monitor i do but from dell rather then hp or sony, it's the same trinitron tube. you have everything needed, but now you need to install the beta v1.17 3d vision cd video driver and software. then you have to get your system to display 1600x1200@100hz, 1280x1024@119z, 1280x960@120hz, 1024x768@120hz and see what works best with your monitor in 3d to save that rate for all games. i'm looking at moving up to a gtx 275 to take the place of my 8800 gt sli now that i've pulled one and am running a single 8800gt it just doesn't cut it for the needed 3d frames per second in game at least not at the settings i want to play at.

[url="http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/P1230/En/spec/spec.htm"]http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/moni...n/spec/spec.htm[/url]

On the dell spec sheet the magic number is where it says your horizontal refresh can do 130khz. so yeah your monitor is definitly fast enough, but your going to run into what this thread is all about. you see the chart of preset modes. those are the ONLY modes win7 will allow your monitor to display, hence you will run into the need to mod a vga cable by pulling pin 12 so it doesn't get that info and then load a driver telling win7 what settings are really available on your monitor, like i did.

[b]*UPDATE*[/b]
i tried a regular vga cable with a clean install of win7 and the beta v1.17 3d vision cd. i was able to go through the whole set up and enable 3d vision, BUT once again win7 will NOT allow you to save any mode that isn't in the presets, so you can't save/add the custom resolutions/rate that are required to make my crt monitor work properly in 3d. 85 hertz does actually work for 3d but the flicker would give me a headache real fast.

SO it's back to my modified vga cable and monitor driver for 64bit to allow all the resolutions and refresh rates my monitor actually can do with win7.
[quote name='doomtux' post='972389' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:19 PM']Hello i have a Dell p1230 this monitor works??? what else i need , i have a geforce 275 and the glasses form nvidia.

Gerard

yeah you have basicly the same monitor i do but from dell rather then hp or sony, it's the same trinitron tube. you have everything needed, but now you need to install the beta v1.17 3d vision cd video driver and software. then you have to get your system to display 1600x1200@100hz, 1280x1024@119z, 1280x960@120hz, 1024x768@120hz and see what works best with your monitor in 3d to save that rate for all games. i'm looking at moving up to a gtx 275 to take the place of my 8800 gt sli now that i've pulled one and am running a single 8800gt it just doesn't cut it for the needed 3d frames per second in game at least not at the settings i want to play at.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/moni...n/spec/spec.htm

On the dell spec sheet the magic number is where it says your horizontal refresh can do 130khz. so yeah your monitor is definitly fast enough, but your going to run into what this thread is all about. you see the chart of preset modes. those are the ONLY modes win7 will allow your monitor to display, hence you will run into the need to mod a vga cable by pulling pin 12 so it doesn't get that info and then load a driver telling win7 what settings are really available on your monitor, like i did.

*UPDATE*

i tried a regular vga cable with a clean install of win7 and the beta v1.17 3d vision cd. i was able to go through the whole set up and enable 3d vision, BUT once again win7 will NOT allow you to save any mode that isn't in the presets, so you can't save/add the custom resolutions/rate that are required to make my crt monitor work properly in 3d. 85 hertz does actually work for 3d but the flicker would give me a headache real fast.

SO it's back to my modified vga cable and monitor driver for 64bit to allow all the resolutions and refresh rates my monitor actually can do with win7.

Posted 12/30/2009 02:11 AM   
You can also get this monitor file that unlocks all resolution and frequencies...

Only caveat - does not work on 64 bit platforms as is. I suspect that if you use the trick of the manufacturer NTamd64 it woult work there too.

[url="http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/"]http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/[/url]
You can also get this monitor file that unlocks all resolution and frequencies...

Only caveat - does not work on 64 bit platforms as is. I suspect that if you use the trick of the manufacturer NTamd64 it woult work there too.

http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/

Posted 12/30/2009 03:03 AM   
[quote name='sdumas' post='972425' date='Dec 29 2009, 10:03 PM']You can also get this monitor file that unlocks all resolution and frequencies...

[url="http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/"]http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/[/url][/quote]

Try selecting the option to manually specify driver location, and select the inf directly rather than the default option of choosing the file's folder.

If you choose the file directly, it will show you a single monitor in a list.

Choose it, and it will ask you if you want to install this file even though it's not signed, then hit yes.

Then you can go into custom and add custom resolutions. No need to modify a DVI converter.

(Win7 64)

-scheherazade
[quote name='sdumas' post='972425' date='Dec 29 2009, 10:03 PM']You can also get this monitor file that unlocks all resolution and frequencies...

http://www.videoi.com/~pietro/monitor/

Try selecting the option to manually specify driver location, and select the inf directly rather than the default option of choosing the file's folder.

Choose it, and it will ask you if you want to install this file even though it's not signed, then hit yes.

Then you can go into custom and add custom resolutions. No need to modify a DVI converter.

(Win7 64)

-scheherazade

Posted 12/30/2009 03:15 AM   
[quote name='scheherazade' post='972433' date='Dec 29 2009, 09:15 PM']Try selecting the option to manually specify driver location, and select the inf directly rather than the default option of choosing the file's folder.

(Win7 64)

-scheherazade[/quote]

Actually Fish (I think his name was fish) updated a driver that unlocks all frequencies for any monitor -- and it works on Windows 7 64 bit -- I know, I'm using it right now!
[quote name='scheherazade' post='972433' date='Dec 29 2009, 09:15 PM']Try selecting the option to manually specify driver location, and select the inf directly rather than the default option of choosing the file's folder.

(Win7 64)

-scheherazade

Actually Fish (I think his name was fish) updated a driver that unlocks all frequencies for any monitor -- and it works on Windows 7 64 bit -- I know, I'm using it right now!

Posted 12/30/2009 04:11 AM   
[quote name='Bracketman' post='972447' date='Dec 30 2009, 04:11 AM']Actually Fish (I think his name was fish) updated a driver that unlocks all frequencies for any monitor -- and it works on Windows 7 64 bit -- I know, I'm using it right now![/quote]
Yep, it's here-

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=153256&view=findpost&p=967437"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=967437[/url]
[quote name='Bracketman' post='972447' date='Dec 30 2009, 04:11 AM']Actually Fish (I think his name was fish) updated a driver that unlocks all frequencies for any monitor -- and it works on Windows 7 64 bit -- I know, I'm using it right now!

Yep, it's here-

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=967437

Posted 12/30/2009 03:42 PM   
Scroll To Top