nvlddmkm.sys BSOD error on Win7
  1 / 3    
Hi.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition RC build 7100. It's been up and running for 3 months now, rock solid and stable, no issues at all. Until today.

I've got a Geforce 9800GX2 graphics card, not overclocked, not tampered with in any way. All of a sudden, after starting Steam, as I've done a million times before, my screen started flickering and then went black, monitor went on Standby, and 10 seconds later the whole thing Blue Screened, reporting that the "nvlddmkm.sys" file had stopped working or some such.

I manually reboot, and windows was unable to start anymore. Right after the "Windows is starting up" loading screen, it transitions to a blank black screen, where it lingers for about 30 seconds, plenty of harddrive activity, and then reverts back to the same blue screen giving me the nvlddmkm.sys error again.

I haven't done ANYTHING recently to the system. Nothing new has been installed. No new drivers, nothing. It just happened out of the blue, no warnings, no nothing. Just boom. I was running with the driver version 191.07_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe, which had been working for several months with no problems. All other drivers are up to date (motherboard, bios, windows fully updated and so forth).

Now, SOMETIMES it will boot normally, like now. It's like once every 4 or 5 reboots, windows loads normally. And it will work fine until I start a 3D application, like a game, which after a minute or two causes screen flicker, and then black screen followed by the BSOD with above error every time. I can boot in safe mode just fine every time.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers from safe mode, which causes windows to boot normally, but it immediately automatically re-installs the graphics drivers (I don't know which version, though), and then I'm back to square zero. Crash and blue screen after reboot or 3D application. I've tried installing the latest 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe drivers, which just stops and gets stuck at about 60% and never finishes. I've tried installing them in safe mode as well, but there the installation instantly freezes as soon as I double click the exe and I can only shut it down by ending the process. Re-installing 191.07 works in both safe mode and regular boot, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I could try and reinstall windows (but oh god, it is such a pain), but seeing as how the problem just appeared out of nowhere for apparently absolutely no reason, what's to keep it from simply happening again? Has anyone had the same problem? Any solutions? Any idea of what causes it? I really would prefer not to have to reinstall, I have a ton of things that needs to be backed up and, ah, you know how it is. Noone wants to reinstall :P

So, help?
Hi.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition RC build 7100. It's been up and running for 3 months now, rock solid and stable, no issues at all. Until today.

I've got a Geforce 9800GX2 graphics card, not overclocked, not tampered with in any way. All of a sudden, after starting Steam, as I've done a million times before, my screen started flickering and then went black, monitor went on Standby, and 10 seconds later the whole thing Blue Screened, reporting that the "nvlddmkm.sys" file had stopped working or some such.

I manually reboot, and windows was unable to start anymore. Right after the "Windows is starting up" loading screen, it transitions to a blank black screen, where it lingers for about 30 seconds, plenty of harddrive activity, and then reverts back to the same blue screen giving me the nvlddmkm.sys error again.

I haven't done ANYTHING recently to the system. Nothing new has been installed. No new drivers, nothing. It just happened out of the blue, no warnings, no nothing. Just boom. I was running with the driver version 191.07_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe, which had been working for several months with no problems. All other drivers are up to date (motherboard, bios, windows fully updated and so forth).

Now, SOMETIMES it will boot normally, like now. It's like once every 4 or 5 reboots, windows loads normally. And it will work fine until I start a 3D application, like a game, which after a minute or two causes screen flicker, and then black screen followed by the BSOD with above error every time. I can boot in safe mode just fine every time.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers from safe mode, which causes windows to boot normally, but it immediately automatically re-installs the graphics drivers (I don't know which version, though), and then I'm back to square zero. Crash and blue screen after reboot or 3D application. I've tried installing the latest 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe drivers, which just stops and gets stuck at about 60% and never finishes. I've tried installing them in safe mode as well, but there the installation instantly freezes as soon as I double click the exe and I can only shut it down by ending the process. Re-installing 191.07 works in both safe mode and regular boot, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I could try and reinstall windows (but oh god, it is such a pain), but seeing as how the problem just appeared out of nowhere for apparently absolutely no reason, what's to keep it from simply happening again? Has anyone had the same problem? Any solutions? Any idea of what causes it? I really would prefer not to have to reinstall, I have a ton of things that needs to be backed up and, ah, you know how it is. Noone wants to reinstall :P

So, help?

Posted 12/16/2009 02:39 PM   
if you go into device manager you can look at the device and it will list the driver under the driver tab . Please find that info and let us know. Also go into windows event viewer and list the errors there as well. Also please post your complete rig specs.
if you go into device manager you can look at the device and it will list the driver under the driver tab . Please find that info and let us know. Also go into windows event viewer and list the errors there as well. Also please post your complete rig specs.

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 12/16/2009 02:43 PM   
how about running the final build of the operating system instead of the release candidate that has bugs in it.
how about running the final build of the operating system instead of the release candidate that has bugs in it.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 12/16/2009 02:48 PM   
Good catch I didnt even see that Qazax.
Good catch I didnt even see that Qazax.

Posted 12/16/2009 02:56 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='965743' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:43 PM']if you go into device manager you can look at the device and it will list the driver under the driver tab . Please find that info and let us know. Also go into windows event viewer and list the errors there as well. Also please post your complete rig specs.[/quote]
Thanks for the quick reply. My system specs are as follows:

Intel Q9450 CPU (not overclocked)
XFX nForce 780i motherboard
Asus Geforce 9800GX2 graphics card (not overclocked)
4gb Kingston PC8xxx ram (don't remember the exact speed)
Regular WD 7200rpm harddrives

The driver info is:

Date: 27-09-2009
Version: 8.16.11.9107

As for the event viewer, I'm a little uncertain what to look for exactly. There are 7 critical events tied to todays date, corresponding to the time at which the crashes occurred. They all say "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

On another note, I've just remembered that last night I installed an ffdshow video codec pack, and did NOT reboot after installation, I just shut down the PC an hour later when I went to bed. There were no issues last night at all. It wasn't until today, where I booted the computer. I'm going to try and uninstall it and do a reboot now, to see if that might have anything to do with it.
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='965743' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:43 PM']if you go into device manager you can look at the device and it will list the driver under the driver tab . Please find that info and let us know. Also go into windows event viewer and list the errors there as well. Also please post your complete rig specs.

Thanks for the quick reply. My system specs are as follows:

Intel Q9450 CPU (not overclocked)

XFX nForce 780i motherboard

Asus Geforce 9800GX2 graphics card (not overclocked)

4gb Kingston PC8xxx ram (don't remember the exact speed)

Regular WD 7200rpm harddrives

The driver info is:

Date: 27-09-2009

Version: 8.16.11.9107

As for the event viewer, I'm a little uncertain what to look for exactly. There are 7 critical events tied to todays date, corresponding to the time at which the crashes occurred. They all say "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

On another note, I've just remembered that last night I installed an ffdshow video codec pack, and did NOT reboot after installation, I just shut down the PC an hour later when I went to bed. There were no issues last night at all. It wasn't until today, where I booted the computer. I'm going to try and uninstall it and do a reboot now, to see if that might have anything to do with it.

Posted 12/16/2009 03:04 PM   
your problems will probably be solved by running a proper version of an operating system.
your problems will probably be solved by running a proper version of an operating system.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 12/16/2009 03:26 PM   
agreed until you are on a stable OS anything could be your issue.

And would hate to spend forever trouble shooting hardware when its a buggy OS. That OS is booby trapped anyways and will expire. Do you think they are supporting it now that the have put the final release to market. i had the same thing you are running before the final release came out. either get stable Vista or spring for Win 7.
agreed until you are on a stable OS anything could be your issue.

And would hate to spend forever trouble shooting hardware when its a buggy OS. That OS is booby trapped anyways and will expire. Do you think they are supporting it now that the have put the final release to market. i had the same thing you are running before the final release came out. either get stable Vista or spring for Win 7.

Posted 12/16/2009 03:34 PM   
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='965787' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:34 PM']agreed until you are on a stable OS anything could be your issue.

And would hate to spend forever trouble shooting hardware when its a buggy OS. That OS is booby trapped anyways and will expire. Do you think they are supporting it now that the have put the final release to market. i had the same thing you are running before the final release came out. either get stable Vista or spring for Win 7.[/quote]
Hm yeah, I guess you two have a point there.

The 'stable' version would be the 7600 build, yes?

Although thinking about it I can almost only imagine the ffdshow codec pack being the culprit. After all, 3 months with no problems, then I install that pack, shut down the computer, and today it's screwed. Seems a bit overly suspicious, especially since it's a new version of the pack I just downloaded and haven't tried earlier.

I did manage to install the latest 195.62 driver version now, and it seems to have had some effect. Now the screen flickers, a lot, and the games lock up for a few seconds when it happens, but there are no crashes now. Still unplayable though.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm going to try a reinstall and stay away from the codecs. If that doesn't work, I'll see about getting a more recent version of windows.
[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='965787' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:34 PM']agreed until you are on a stable OS anything could be your issue.

Hm yeah, I guess you two have a point there.

Although thinking about it I can almost only imagine the ffdshow codec pack being the culprit. After all, 3 months with no problems, then I install that pack, shut down the computer, and today it's screwed. Seems a bit overly suspicious, especially since it's a new version of the pack I just downloaded and haven't tried earlier.

I did manage to install the latest 195.62 driver version now, and it seems to have had some effect. Now the screen flickers, a lot, and the games lock up for a few seconds when it happens, but there are no crashes now. Still unplayable though.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm going to try a reinstall and stay away from the codecs. If that doesn't work, I'll see about getting a more recent version of windows.

Posted 12/16/2009 04:18 PM   
[quote name='synchaoz' post='965818' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:18 PM']Hm yeah, I guess you two have a point there.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm going to try a reinstall and stay away from the codecs. If that doesn't work, I'll see about getting a more recent version of windows.[/quote]

7600 is indeed the RTM release version... would advise not touching torrent'd version though!

What did you need the codec pack for btw? I personally only ever used to use codec packs for avi files, but Win 7 has avi file support built in now.

The 9800GX2 is very well known for collecting dust and overheating over time, so this is worth checking out also. If I am doing a clean build, and have no OCing in place, I personally always perform a CMOS reset on my motherboard to reset IRQ assignments before reinstalling Windows. A step too far some might say, but i rebuild my pc's quite often! This way you kill as many birds with one stone as possible. Start with a driver you know you were stable on once you have rebuilt too, before moving up to the latest.

J
[quote name='synchaoz' post='965818' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:18 PM']Hm yeah, I guess you two have a point there.

7600 is indeed the RTM release version... would advise not touching torrent'd version though!

What did you need the codec pack for btw? I personally only ever used to use codec packs for avi files, but Win 7 has avi file support built in now.

The 9800GX2 is very well known for collecting dust and overheating over time, so this is worth checking out also. If I am doing a clean build, and have no OCing in place, I personally always perform a CMOS reset on my motherboard to reset IRQ assignments before reinstalling Windows. A step too far some might say, but i rebuild my pc's quite often! This way you kill as many birds with one stone as possible. Start with a driver you know you were stable on once you have rebuilt too, before moving up to the latest.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Currently on top of the 3DMark FireStrike Ultra leaderboard: nVIDIASLiRig

Minima: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87, Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x Intel 730k 480GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, GTX Titan X, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Maxima: Corsair Obsidian 750D, Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67, Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator GT 8GB (2x4GB) @ 2133MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Blue 1TB, 2-way SLI GTX 980, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2, Windows 7 64bit.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor, Logitech G9X mouse, Corsair Vengeance keyboard.

Community Moderator - not employed by NVIDIA. Feel free to PM me if I don't follow-up on a thread that I have responded to.

Posted 12/16/2009 07:48 PM   
Just for the sake of it I felt like reporting back on what's happened.

Basically, I've called the card shot. It's dead. How or why, I am not sure. Perhaps due to dust and overheating, as mentioned.

I reinstalled windows (the same RC 7100), and the problem still persisted. After visiting a buddy of mine, I came back with 3 different graphics cards (all working at his place), to test with.

A Geforce 7500 LE - worked perfectly, no crashes or errors.
A Geforce 7800 GT - No problems at all
A Geforce 8800 GT - Likewise no problems at all.

Just for the sake of it, I threw the 9800gx2 back in again - instant crash on windows startup - nvlddmkm.sys error.

I'm finding it hard to think of any other explanation other than faulty hardware. So to those other folks that might be unfortunate enough to experience an "nvlddmkm.sys" error, it [i]could[/i] be your graphics card dying, but it is not necessarily the reason. There are lots of ther causes for that error which can be fixed, but clearly in my case, it was the worst possible reason. Oh well, gives me a good reason for buying a new high-end card at least.

Cheers for all the help though.
Just for the sake of it I felt like reporting back on what's happened.

Basically, I've called the card shot. It's dead. How or why, I am not sure. Perhaps due to dust and overheating, as mentioned.

I reinstalled windows (the same RC 7100), and the problem still persisted. After visiting a buddy of mine, I came back with 3 different graphics cards (all working at his place), to test with.

Just for the sake of it, I threw the 9800gx2 back in again - instant crash on windows startup - nvlddmkm.sys error.

I'm finding it hard to think of any other explanation other than faulty hardware. So to those other folks that might be unfortunate enough to experience an "nvlddmkm.sys" error, it could be your graphics card dying, but it is not necessarily the reason. There are lots of ther causes for that error which can be fixed, but clearly in my case, it was the worst possible reason. Oh well, gives me a good reason for buying a new high-end card at least.

Posted 12/17/2009 09:37 PM   
all those cards require a less powerful PSU, what is your PSU and how many amps does it provide on the 12v rail?
all those cards require a less powerful PSU, what is your PSU and how many amps does it provide on the 12v rail?

Posted 12/17/2009 09:43 PM   
[quote name='synchaoz' post='966576' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:37 PM']Just for the sake of it I felt like reporting back on what's happened.

I'm finding it hard to think of any other explanation other than faulty hardware. So to those other folks that might be unfortunate enough to experience an "nvlddmkm.sys" error, it [i]could[/i] be your graphics card dying, but it is not necessarily the reason. There are lots of ther causes for that error which can be fixed, but clearly in my case, it was the worst possible reason. Oh well, gives me a good reason for buying a new high-end card at least.

Cheers for all the help though.[/quote]

Sad times :(

Can you try the 9800GX2 in another machine perhaps though in case?

[quote name='Qazax' post='966581' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:43 PM']all those cards require a less powerful PSU, what is your PSU and how many amps does it provide on the 12v rail?[/quote]

This is a very good point, although I assumed a capable PSU as this is only a recent issue. Then again you know what they say about assumptions...

J
[quote name='synchaoz' post='966576' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:37 PM']Just for the sake of it I felt like reporting back on what's happened.

I'm finding it hard to think of any other explanation other than faulty hardware. So to those other folks that might be unfortunate enough to experience an "nvlddmkm.sys" error, it could be your graphics card dying, but it is not necessarily the reason. There are lots of ther causes for that error which can be fixed, but clearly in my case, it was the worst possible reason. Oh well, gives me a good reason for buying a new high-end card at least.

Sad times :(

Can you try the 9800GX2 in another machine perhaps though in case?

[quote name='Qazax' post='966581' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:43 PM']all those cards require a less powerful PSU, what is your PSU and how many amps does it provide on the 12v rail?

This is a very good point, although I assumed a capable PSU as this is only a recent issue. Then again you know what they say about assumptions...

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Currently on top of the 3DMark FireStrike Ultra leaderboard: nVIDIASLiRig

Minima: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87, Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x Intel 730k 480GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, GTX Titan X, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Maxima: Corsair Obsidian 750D, Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67, Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator GT 8GB (2x4GB) @ 2133MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Blue 1TB, 2-way SLI GTX 980, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2, Windows 7 64bit.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor, Logitech G9X mouse, Corsair Vengeance keyboard.

Community Moderator - not employed by NVIDIA. Feel free to PM me if I don't follow-up on a thread that I have responded to.

Posted 12/17/2009 11:33 PM   
assumptions caused this -

[img]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x118/qazax1337/ohno.jpg[/img]
assumptions caused this -

Posted 12/17/2009 11:40 PM   
Hi there,

I encountered a very similar problem today than is described in the original posting. But the computer that has this problem is only a week old and no codecs where installed at all. I also restarted it many times, but it always froze while welcoming me to Windows 7. It is a full Professional Edition Windows 7 version, no RC or stuff like that. The computer has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 built in and I find it hard to believe that something died already ... I'm really lost why this keeps happening without any obvious reason. Tomorrow I will keep on trying to figure it out, but any suggestions or help is appreciated!

-Tommy
Hi there,

I encountered a very similar problem today than is described in the original posting. But the computer that has this problem is only a week old and no codecs where installed at all. I also restarted it many times, but it always froze while welcoming me to Windows 7. It is a full Professional Edition Windows 7 version, no RC or stuff like that. The computer has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 built in and I find it hard to believe that something died already ... I'm really lost why this keeps happening without any obvious reason. Tomorrow I will keep on trying to figure it out, but any suggestions or help is appreciated!

-Tommy

Posted 12/17/2009 11:46 PM   
if its brand new and you are sure you didnt install anything new or change anything then i would take it back to the shop
if its brand new and you are sure you didnt install anything new or change anything then i would take it back to the shop

Posted 12/17/2009 11:57 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top