Crashing 9600GT
I have been having serious problems with my 512MB nVidia GeForce 9600GT. Its idle temperature at the moment is around 50 degrees C but when I play any sort of game this obviously rises but when the temperature hits around 70 it just cuts out, the screen goes black and any noise coming from the speakers turns into sort of machine gun fire, after a few seconds that stops aswell. Whenever this happens I have to restart my computer and I lose everything I was doing.

The only solution I have come up with is to take off one of my computers side panels and stick a big fan next to the GFX card and run that at full blast to keep the temperature around 60.

These are my specs...
Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.71GHz
3GB RAM
512MB nVidia 9600GT (idle temperature 50 degrees, cuts out at 70)

I hope you can help :">

EDIT: Also I have the lates driver 195.62
I have been having serious problems with my 512MB nVidia GeForce 9600GT. Its idle temperature at the moment is around 50 degrees C but when I play any sort of game this obviously rises but when the temperature hits around 70 it just cuts out, the screen goes black and any noise coming from the speakers turns into sort of machine gun fire, after a few seconds that stops aswell. Whenever this happens I have to restart my computer and I lose everything I was doing.

The only solution I have come up with is to take off one of my computers side panels and stick a big fan next to the GFX card and run that at full blast to keep the temperature around 60.

These are my specs...

3GB RAM

Posted 12/08/2009 10:36 PM   
[quote name='Badgercatz' post='961745' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:36 PM']I have been having serious problems with my 512MB nVidia GeForce 9600GT. Its idle temperature at the moment is around 50 degrees C but when I play any sort of game this obviously rises but when the temperature hits around 70 it just cuts out, the screen goes black and any noise coming from the speakers turns into sort of machine gun fire, after a few seconds that stops aswell. Whenever this happens I have to restart my computer and I lose everything I was doing.

These are my specs...
3GB RAM

EDIT: Also I have the lates driver 195.62[/quote]

You are not alone. I am running very similar specs... Vista, AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+, 4 GB RAM, same graphics card.

I have tested mine out and determined that under load it will crash the same way yours does at 70 degrees, sometimes I get to 71. My solution, have not yet found one, but here is what I am trying. First, I got a n RMA from PNY and they are going to exchange the card out for a new one. I am hoping it is from a different batch/lot. Maybe that is the issue, but since this is already my second one, not so hopeful. Second I am going to get a PCI slot fan and blow or suck right on it, it should do the same thing that the desk fan blowing on it does.

Third, I am never going to get a 9600 again. From what I have read, there are issues with the heat tolerance of this chip. Many people on this forum say that crashes should not start occurring until 80+ and yet this card cannot survive 10 degrees less than that.

I am not having general heat issues, my CPU runs nice and cool, and my idle temp is about 41 degrees, so my case fans seem to be doing the job when not under load.
[quote name='Badgercatz' post='961745' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:36 PM']I have been having serious problems with my 512MB nVidia GeForce 9600GT. Its idle temperature at the moment is around 50 degrees C but when I play any sort of game this obviously rises but when the temperature hits around 70 it just cuts out, the screen goes black and any noise coming from the speakers turns into sort of machine gun fire, after a few seconds that stops aswell. Whenever this happens I have to restart my computer and I lose everything I was doing.

These are my specs...

3GB RAM

You are not alone. I am running very similar specs... Vista, AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+, 4 GB RAM, same graphics card.

I have tested mine out and determined that under load it will crash the same way yours does at 70 degrees, sometimes I get to 71. My solution, have not yet found one, but here is what I am trying. First, I got a n RMA from PNY and they are going to exchange the card out for a new one. I am hoping it is from a different batch/lot. Maybe that is the issue, but since this is already my second one, not so hopeful. Second I am going to get a PCI slot fan and blow or suck right on it, it should do the same thing that the desk fan blowing on it does.

Third, I am never going to get a 9600 again. From what I have read, there are issues with the heat tolerance of this chip. Many people on this forum say that crashes should not start occurring until 80+ and yet this card cannot survive 10 degrees less than that.

I am not having general heat issues, my CPU runs nice and cool, and my idle temp is about 41 degrees, so my case fans seem to be doing the job when not under load.

Posted 01/21/2010 06:10 AM   
Same thing here, idle temp is hanging around 54 C windows XP pro sp3, amd anthalon single core 2.41GHz 3 gb ram, i'm sticking my own desk fan in there to see if that will help, i'm going to go insane without my games D:
Same thing here, idle temp is hanging around 54 C windows XP pro sp3, amd anthalon single core 2.41GHz 3 gb ram, i'm sticking my own desk fan in there to see if that will help, i'm going to go insane without my games D:

Posted 07/13/2010 06:43 AM   
Any solutions for this problem yet???

Posted 08/19/2010 12:35 PM   

Posted 08/19/2010 12:35 PM   
[quote name='boufa' date='21 January 2010 - 06:10 AM' timestamp='1264054249' post='985293']

[/quote]

I am sorry but you cant dis this card my friends and i have this card and never went wrong with it for video editing or playing top end games, you all must just be having a bad time or your computers or your room is making the card not work right, i have a over clocked pc and my cards settings are max and over clocked and my idle temps are 30 - 37 degrees depending on how hot my room is, when i am playing a high end game on max graphics and my room is boiling also my fire is right beside my pc i hit 60 degrees so i dunno why all of you are getting so much high temps unless you have over clocked it to much, your box is not that good for air flow, or your room is so hot that well your GPU hates it do you have a built on fan on yours ? i noticed some people don't have fans on there 9600gt if you do i would turn it up max playing games and also if your haveing future problems i would under clock your card just a little until you hit a nice temp on full load, good luck all of you.
[quote name='boufa' date='21 January 2010 - 06:10 AM' timestamp='1264054249' post='985293']

I am sorry but you cant dis this card my friends and i have this card and never went wrong with it for video editing or playing top end games, you all must just be having a bad time or your computers or your room is making the card not work right, i have a over clocked pc and my cards settings are max and over clocked and my idle temps are 30 - 37 degrees depending on how hot my room is, when i am playing a high end game on max graphics and my room is boiling also my fire is right beside my pc i hit 60 degrees so i dunno why all of you are getting so much high temps unless you have over clocked it to much, your box is not that good for air flow, or your room is so hot that well your GPU hates it do you have a built on fan on yours ? i noticed some people don't have fans on there 9600gt if you do i would turn it up max playing games and also if your haveing future problems i would under clock your card just a little until you hit a nice temp on full load, good luck all of you.

Posted 01/22/2011 10:33 PM   
Scroll To Top