stuck on installation driver update need help!
Hi,

I am installing the latest update for a 9600G driver, but the installation is stuck halfway for over an hour( the installation progress bar hasnt moved a millimeter). Im kind off panicking because i dont know alot of drivers and computers etc.

Can someone help me out or tell me what to do?
Hi,

I am installing the latest update for a 9600G driver, but the installation is stuck halfway for over an hour( the installation progress bar hasnt moved a millimeter). Im kind off panicking because i dont know alot of drivers and computers etc.

Can someone help me out or tell me what to do?

Posted 11/12/2009 03:21 PM   
You'll just have to bomb it out. Kill it from Task Manager, or just reboot. Windows may come back up with only its generic VGA driver loaded, but that's nothing to worry about.

Try installing the drivers from Safe Mode instead.

Did you uninstall the old drivers first or try to install over the top? It's best to uninstall first. Some people even use Drivercleaner or Driversweeper to remove any traces as well. I only do this if I've had a problem (like yours). So you may want to try this.
You'll just have to bomb it out. Kill it from Task Manager, or just reboot. Windows may come back up with only its generic VGA driver loaded, but that's nothing to worry about.

Try installing the drivers from Safe Mode instead.

Did you uninstall the old drivers first or try to install over the top? It's best to uninstall first. Some people even use Drivercleaner or Driversweeper to remove any traces as well. I only do this if I've had a problem (like yours). So you may want to try this.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 11/12/2009 03:47 PM   
No i didnt uninstall first, actually dont have an idea how to do that lol.

So if i end it with taskmanager, go to the download link, and try to reinstall, would that work?
No i didnt uninstall first, actually dont have an idea how to do that lol.

So if i end it with taskmanager, go to the download link, and try to reinstall, would that work?

Posted 11/12/2009 04:46 PM   
You can uninstall the drivers from Control Panel, 'Add or Remove Programs' (XP) or 'Programs and Features' (Vista or Win 7). But only if you have previously installed nVidia drivers (recommended). If it's using the 'built-in' Windows ones, you don't really need to remove them first.

Are you using that 'automatic' driver install on nVidia's web site? If so, I would avoid it and actually download the drivers and run the install from your hard drive. As I said, try doing it from Safe Mode. This may avoid the problem with the install getting stuck half way. You can get into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key just before Windows starts to load. Just as the summary page of the hardware comes up when you boot the machine, where it lists all the IRQs, start tapping the F8 key. It will bring up a menu where you can choose Safe Mode. Once you've installed the drivers, just reboot normally.
You can uninstall the drivers from Control Panel, 'Add or Remove Programs' (XP) or 'Programs and Features' (Vista or Win 7). But only if you have previously installed nVidia drivers (recommended). If it's using the 'built-in' Windows ones, you don't really need to remove them first.

Are you using that 'automatic' driver install on nVidia's web site? If so, I would avoid it and actually download the drivers and run the install from your hard drive. As I said, try doing it from Safe Mode. This may avoid the problem with the install getting stuck half way. You can get into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key just before Windows starts to load. Just as the summary page of the hardware comes up when you boot the machine, where it lists all the IRQs, start tapping the F8 key. It will bring up a menu where you can choose Safe Mode. Once you've installed the drivers, just reboot normally.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 11/12/2009 05:04 PM   
So actually I did the following:

I killed the installation with task manager and went to system recovey, but that failed twice, so i go check out nvidea's website and it says this:

Product NVIDIA GeForce 9600M
Current Installed Driver GT 186.81
Recommended Update
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 186.81 Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

So everything is fine now? Or is there a catch?
So actually I did the following:

I killed the installation with task manager and went to system recovey, but that failed twice, so i go check out nvidea's website and it says this:

Product NVIDIA GeForce 9600M

Current Installed Driver GT 186.81

Recommended Update

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 186.81 Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

So everything is fine now? Or is there a catch?

Posted 11/12/2009 10:02 PM   
are you sure you didnt have the latest driver to begin with?
are you sure you didnt have the latest driver to begin with?

Posted 11/13/2009 02:47 PM   
yes im sure of that, i had version 179 or something, now i have the latest(186.81)
yes im sure of that, i had version 179 or something, now i have the latest(186.81)

Posted 11/13/2009 10:01 PM   
Scroll To Top