Windows 7 + SLI = Crash
  1 / 2    
Hello,

I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my pc. But I'm having problems with te drivers, Windows installs a default driver for nVidia (WDDM v1.1, version: 8.15.11.8593). This works well, but I cannot enable SLI, because there is no Control Panel or something like that. So I installed the latest drivers from nVidia, in device manager it then shows version: 8.16.11.9107 (Without removing the default driver from Windows, because when I remove the driver for both Cards, the nVidia driver setup doesn't detect the cards. So I rebooted, and even in Save Mode Windows reinstalls the default driver :wacko: ). Now I can enable SLI, but when I want to play games like COD WaW, COD MW and NFS Shift it freezes while playing. Then I have to do a hard reset. I found that when I disabled SLI it works just perfect, haven'd had a crash.

My system specs are:

Intel C2D 6750, no overclock and Scythe Infinity/Mugen cooler
Abit IN9 32X MAX 680i
2 x Gaincard 8800GT, no overclock
2 x 1Gb OCZ PC6400 SLI-Ready, default settings
700 Watt Modular CoolerMaster

What can I do? :blink:
Hello,

I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my pc. But I'm having problems with te drivers, Windows installs a default driver for nVidia (WDDM v1.1, version: 8.15.11.8593). This works well, but I cannot enable SLI, because there is no Control Panel or something like that. So I installed the latest drivers from nVidia, in device manager it then shows version: 8.16.11.9107 (Without removing the default driver from Windows, because when I remove the driver for both Cards, the nVidia driver setup doesn't detect the cards. So I rebooted, and even in Save Mode Windows reinstalls the default driver :wacko: ). Now I can enable SLI, but when I want to play games like COD WaW, COD MW and NFS Shift it freezes while playing. Then I have to do a hard reset. I found that when I disabled SLI it works just perfect, haven'd had a crash.

My system specs are:

Abit IN9 32X MAX 680i

Posted 11/04/2009 09:56 PM   
Have you updated your motherboard BIOS at any time? Here is the last BIOS update provided by Abit for your motherboard:

[url="http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_bios_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IN9+32X-MAX+Wi-Fi&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775"]http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/do...KET_TYPE=LGA775[/url]
Have you updated your motherboard BIOS at any time? Here is the last BIOS update provided by Abit for your motherboard:

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/do...KET_TYPE=LGA775

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 11/04/2009 09:59 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' post='945456' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:59 PM']Have you updated your motherboard BIOS at any time? Here is the last BIOS update provided by Abit for your motherboard:

[url="http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_bios_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IN9+32X-MAX+Wi-Fi&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775"]http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/do...KET_TYPE=LGA775[/url][/quote]

Yes, I had to do a BIOS flash to enable the use of the 6750. It's the latest version.
[quote name='ManuelG' post='945456' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:59 PM']Have you updated your motherboard BIOS at any time? Here is the last BIOS update provided by Abit for your motherboard:

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/do...KET_TYPE=LGA775

Yes, I had to do a BIOS flash to enable the use of the 6750. It's the latest version.

Posted 11/04/2009 10:08 PM   
Try flipping your SLI bridge over first. It sounds stupid, but it works sometimes.
Do a driver sweep also. Uninstall your drivers in control pane, run driver sweeper from guru3d.com, then reinstall the new drivers.
If that fails, test each card separately using OCCT 3.1's GPU Mem and GPU OCCT tests, there may be an issue with each card.

It's always a good idea to install windows and your first round of drivers with only 1 GPU installed. Just a heads up.
Try flipping your SLI bridge over first. It sounds stupid, but it works sometimes.

Do a driver sweep also. Uninstall your drivers in control pane, run driver sweeper from guru3d.com, then reinstall the new drivers.

If that fails, test each card separately using OCCT 3.1's GPU Mem and GPU OCCT tests, there may be an issue with each card.

It's always a good idea to install windows and your first round of drivers with only 1 GPU installed. Just a heads up.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington 1982 to 2010

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

* MSI GTX 470 * EVGA GTX 470 * Antec 900

PM's for assistance/clarification are welcome.

Posted 11/04/2009 11:27 PM   
[quote name='ForzaPC' post='945452' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:56 PM']Hello,

My system specs are:

Abit IN9 32X MAX 680i

What can I do? :blink:[/quote]
Leave the default drivers as is and click on the nvidia drivers EXE and install over the default ones it should work......CHEERS
[quote name='ForzaPC' post='945452' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:56 PM']Hello,

My system specs are:

Abit IN9 32X MAX 680i

Leave the default drivers as is and click on the nvidia drivers EXE and install over the default ones it should work......CHEERS

Posted 11/05/2009 12:04 AM   
I did that the first time I installed W7 (version 191.07) . Since then I tried version 191.03 (beta), 185.20 (because I read good things about it) and the latest beta 195.39. With every new driver I uninstalled the previous and used CCleaner and Driver Sweeper to delete remains. And Every time it kept freezzing in game. Currently I'm reïnstalling W7 and I'll immediately install the 195.39. If that doesn't work I could add some ddr2 memory and try the x64 install, as a last resort. But still, when sli is disabled it works perfectly. I didn't have any problems with sli when I was using XP, it worked perfectly.

Ps. It crashed last night and it managed to get back to the desktop. There was an error concerning a problem with DirectX (don't know what exactly), and the grafic's driver had stopped working and was recoverd (something with Kernell :unsure: ). Since then the only thing I could do when a crash occurred, was to do a hard reset.
I did that the first time I installed W7 (version 191.07) . Since then I tried version 191.03 (beta), 185.20 (because I read good things about it) and the latest beta 195.39. With every new driver I uninstalled the previous and used CCleaner and Driver Sweeper to delete remains. And Every time it kept freezzing in game. Currently I'm reïnstalling W7 and I'll immediately install the 195.39. If that doesn't work I could add some ddr2 memory and try the x64 install, as a last resort. But still, when sli is disabled it works perfectly. I didn't have any problems with sli when I was using XP, it worked perfectly.

Ps. It crashed last night and it managed to get back to the desktop. There was an error concerning a problem with DirectX (don't know what exactly), and the grafic's driver had stopped working and was recoverd (something with Kernell :unsure: ). Since then the only thing I could do when a crash occurred, was to do a hard reset.

Posted 11/05/2009 05:32 PM   
[quote name='ForzaPC' post='945881' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:32 AM']Currently I'm reïnstalling W7 and I'll immediately install the 195.39.[/quote]

Are you installing the motherboard drivers before the video drivers?
[quote name='ForzaPC' post='945881' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:32 AM']Currently I'm reïnstalling W7 and I'll immediately install the 195.39.

Are you installing the motherboard drivers before the video drivers?

[indent]Image

[/indent]
Core i7 920@3850MHz_Corsair H-50 Water Cooler_EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1_1xEVGA GTX480 @825.1650.2000_3x2Gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20-1T

2x74Gb WD Raptor/RAID0-Windows7 _1x250Gb Seagate 7200.10_Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200w Modular PSU_Coolermaster Cosmos S

Vantage-22876, w/Physx-25636--3DMark06-24844

Posted 11/05/2009 05:42 PM   
Well :unsure: , windows installs the motherbord drivers for me (including the basic nvidia video drivers). So, no, I don't. I didn't install any Mainboard drivers, just the video drivers.
Well :unsure: , windows installs the motherbord drivers for me (including the basic nvidia video drivers). So, no, I don't. I didn't install any Mainboard drivers, just the video drivers.

Posted 11/05/2009 05:51 PM   
What is the correct order for a new installation?

Windows 7 install (32-bit) > Mainboard drivers (15.51 whql, for 680i) > Video Drivers (195.39, beta) > Let Windows do updates

Or.....

?
What is the correct order for a new installation?

Windows 7 install (32-bit) > Mainboard drivers (15.51 whql, for 680i) > Video Drivers (195.39, beta) > Let Windows do updates

Or.....

?

Posted 11/05/2009 07:28 PM   
you should stick with the whql drivers for now the 195beta are pretty buggy ,,,

If you are thinking you need to take out windows drivers for cards your wrong , I think that you are referring to the drivers windows installs for divice manager to recognize the card , they of coarse need to be there when you install NVIDIA drivers.

you should uninstall all NVIDIA drivers use driversweeper after to clean in safemode, restart and let windows install its drivers to see the cards , restart, install latest NVIDIA chipset drivers ( they include whql display drivers not sure which version in which driver package tho) all the drivers chipset and display will be selected automatically. so if you want to put in other display drivers uncheck display drivers box.

after that restart and install display drivers of your choice if you haven't installed and reboot.

Above all else don't just use windows update mindlessly , you need to look through the optional updates and don't install any for your mobo or gpu.
I always install my own drivers I get from the site ( NVIDIA, ASUS) as they are usually the newer versions from what windows update will give you..,
always hide updates that you don't want.

And don't forget clean installs of drivers, don't just keep installing them over themselves.
you should stick with the whql drivers for now the 195beta are pretty buggy ,,,

If you are thinking you need to take out windows drivers for cards your wrong , I think that you are referring to the drivers windows installs for divice manager to recognize the card , they of coarse need to be there when you install NVIDIA drivers.

you should uninstall all NVIDIA drivers use driversweeper after to clean in safemode, restart and let windows install its drivers to see the cards , restart, install latest NVIDIA chipset drivers ( they include whql display drivers not sure which version in which driver package tho) all the drivers chipset and display will be selected automatically. so if you want to put in other display drivers uncheck display drivers box.

after that restart and install display drivers of your choice if you haven't installed and reboot.

Above all else don't just use windows update mindlessly , you need to look through the optional updates and don't install any for your mobo or gpu.

I always install my own drivers I get from the site ( NVIDIA, ASUS) as they are usually the newer versions from what windows update will give you..,

always hide updates that you don't want.

And don't forget clean installs of drivers, don't just keep installing them over themselves.

Posted 11/05/2009 10:23 PM   
Install windows, then your motheboard drivers, then video drivers if you want to use different ones.

You may have just got a bad Windows install, the first time around.

Good luck.
Install windows, then your motheboard drivers, then video drivers if you want to use different ones.

You may have just got a bad Windows install, the first time around.

Good luck.

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

Posted 11/06/2009 02:11 AM   
Ok, thanks!

I installed Windows with only 1 card installed. Should I do a reïnstall of Windows and put in both cards? Or install the motherboard drivers and display drivers, and after that install the extra card?
Ok, thanks!

I installed Windows with only 1 card installed. Should I do a reïnstall of Windows and put in both cards? Or install the motherboard drivers and display drivers, and after that install the extra card?

Posted 11/06/2009 07:36 AM   
Do I need the nForce 680i SLI drivers or nForce 680i LT SLI drivers?

I have the nForce 680i SLI drivers (15.51 whql) installed now (when I ran the setup I could only install the IDE driver, there was only 1 option).

I did a complete clean reïnstall Windows 7, rebooted, installed the 15.51 drivers, rebooted, installed the 191.07 video driver, rebooted, shut down power, put in the second card, powerd up, windows installed the 191.07 automaticaly for this card, rebooted, enabled SLI, rebooted, installed COD WAW, rebooted and played the game with the same f*cking crash/freezze problem.

Do I have to accept the fact that I can't use SLI in Windows 7, what could I do next/differently?
Do I need the nForce 680i SLI drivers or nForce 680i LT SLI drivers?

I have the nForce 680i SLI drivers (15.51 whql) installed now (when I ran the setup I could only install the IDE driver, there was only 1 option).

I did a complete clean reïnstall Windows 7, rebooted, installed the 15.51 drivers, rebooted, installed the 191.07 video driver, rebooted, shut down power, put in the second card, powerd up, windows installed the 191.07 automaticaly for this card, rebooted, enabled SLI, rebooted, installed COD WAW, rebooted and played the game with the same f*cking crash/freezze problem.

Do I have to accept the fact that I can't use SLI in Windows 7, what could I do next/differently?

Posted 11/06/2009 02:53 PM   
No, you don't just have to accept it. Lots of people have SLI running great on Windows 7 including me. You just have a problem, and we will weed it out and beat it like a red headed step child!

You need to look at the box of your motherboard to see if you have an 680 LT or a 680. If you don't have the box, download CPUz and use it.

Try a few things here, clean sweep all your drivers again, and just use the nforce package alone. Don't install separate video drivers, the nforce drivers will have some in it.

Download and run each OCCT 3.1 GPU/RAM test for at least an hour each. They should find if it is your graphics card itself.

Try putting the card in another PCIe slot, or in another computer to see if the problem persists.

This is sounding less like a driver problem, and more like a hardware problem. If you have cleaned and reinstalled windows, and installed new drivers, then it's probably not the drivers. Baring you using the same download, in which case download the drivers again.
No, you don't just have to accept it. Lots of people have SLI running great on Windows 7 including me. You just have a problem, and we will weed it out and beat it like a red headed step child!

You need to look at the box of your motherboard to see if you have an 680 LT or a 680. If you don't have the box, download CPUz and use it.

Try a few things here, clean sweep all your drivers again, and just use the nforce package alone. Don't install separate video drivers, the nforce drivers will have some in it.

Download and run each OCCT 3.1 GPU/RAM test for at least an hour each. They should find if it is your graphics card itself.

Try putting the card in another PCIe slot, or in another computer to see if the problem persists.

This is sounding less like a driver problem, and more like a hardware problem. If you have cleaned and reinstalled windows, and installed new drivers, then it's probably not the drivers. Baring you using the same download, in which case download the drivers again.

Posted 11/06/2009 07:08 PM   
Thank for your reply, I'll try the test's, but as I mentioned above: my SLI setup worked perfectly on Windows XP. With XP I haven't had one single crash/freezze/problem, drivers didn't cause a problem either. When I disable SLI I don't have problems, I switched cards and both worked perfectly.

And I'll try flashing my BIOS, because I didn't have the latest like I said above. I'll download the drivers again.
Thank for your reply, I'll try the test's, but as I mentioned above: my SLI setup worked perfectly on Windows XP. With XP I haven't had one single crash/freezze/problem, drivers didn't cause a problem either. When I disable SLI I don't have problems, I switched cards and both worked perfectly.

And I'll try flashing my BIOS, because I didn't have the latest like I said above. I'll download the drivers again.

Posted 11/06/2009 08:45 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top