nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS Driver + Windows 7
I have had this laptop for a little over a year now. It's a [url="http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2008/GodzillaFX/1015340R/1015340Rsp2.shtml"]Gateway P-6860 FX Notebook [/url]with an [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8800m.html"]nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS[/url] graphics card (512MBB discrete video memory). It came with Windows Vista OS that seemed to do the trick for a while despite the problems I faced with it.

Now, with Windows 7 Professional 64BIT O.S., I get a gray screen just after logging in with nVIDIA Drivers installed.

[u][b]DETAILS:[/b][/u]
When the release candidate for Windows 7 came out, I switched to it easily. Even though there weren't really any official drivers for Windows 7, the OS seemed to work kinks out and/or find the necessary drivers to keep me going strong. I could play games requiring my graphics card to run for months without issue.

Recently, I bought Windows 7 Professional and went ahead and switched over. It worked great at first. I could play the games and run my graphics editing software and so on. A day later, I recieved a gray screen. Everything turned gray and it did not ever return to normal. I went ahead and did a forced shut down and rebooted. I got to the log in screen with no problems, but when I logged in, I saw my desktop for maybe 10 seconds while it was loading things in before I recieved the gray screen. Needless to say, I powered down again and found the same problem.

I was able to restart in Safe Mode and, at the time I didn't think it was a GPU related issue. I opened msconfig and disabled all services except those running in safe mode with networking. A quick restart got me back in without having to use Safe Mode, but all of the services I had turned off were, of course, off. I went through by process of elimination and enabled each one until one caused me to get the gray screen. The service was Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager. I enabled everything but that one and it ran fine, but I was without that service.

I looked it up to make sure it wasn't some form of Malware but it was indeed a Microsoft service.

Thinking that this one service had become corrupted, and seeing as how I still had the Windows 7 upgrade install files, I decided to do a complete reinstall. It all turned out fine until I needed to update my graphics driver in order to play my video game because it was using the VGA standard that doesn't actually use the graphics card. I then went to nVIDIA.com and downloaded the driver. It installed, had me restart, and once again I was plagued by the gray screen just seconds after logging in.

I disabled Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager, but that didn't work. I then rolled back the driver and that DID work.

I know there was SOME driver that I could use at one point for that day and a half of having Windows 7 Professional 64BIT OS installed. And some driver that also worked with the Release Candidate for Windows 7 before that. But I cannot find those. I have now tried Windows Driver Update as well as the rest of the nVIDIA drivers listed for my graphics card but cannot find one that will allow me to use my graphics card.

Yesterday, I had a brief encounter with unexpected success when I logged on to my computer having one of the drivers causing a gray screen. But this time, it only flickered gray for one second, then I got popup in my system tray warning me of an nvlddmkm error. But I had my desktop, I had to try logging into my game. It worked.

However, upon computer restart, I was back at square one again with the gray screen.

I KNOW there is a way for my graphics card to work with Windows 7, despite the [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1241025430517.html"]compatibility page[/url] not listing my graphics card.

My two questions are: What was allowing me to use my graphics card without a gray screen? AND When will my graphics card be listed as... compatible with Windows 7 - that is, when will it be...compatible with Windows 7?
I have had this laptop for a little over a year now. It's a Gateway P-6860 FX Notebook with an nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS graphics card (512MBB discrete video memory). It came with Windows Vista OS that seemed to do the trick for a while despite the problems I faced with it.

Now, with Windows 7 Professional 64BIT O.S., I get a gray screen just after logging in with nVIDIA Drivers installed.

DETAILS:

When the release candidate for Windows 7 came out, I switched to it easily. Even though there weren't really any official drivers for Windows 7, the OS seemed to work kinks out and/or find the necessary drivers to keep me going strong. I could play games requiring my graphics card to run for months without issue.

Recently, I bought Windows 7 Professional and went ahead and switched over. It worked great at first. I could play the games and run my graphics editing software and so on. A day later, I recieved a gray screen. Everything turned gray and it did not ever return to normal. I went ahead and did a forced shut down and rebooted. I got to the log in screen with no problems, but when I logged in, I saw my desktop for maybe 10 seconds while it was loading things in before I recieved the gray screen. Needless to say, I powered down again and found the same problem.

I was able to restart in Safe Mode and, at the time I didn't think it was a GPU related issue. I opened msconfig and disabled all services except those running in safe mode with networking. A quick restart got me back in without having to use Safe Mode, but all of the services I had turned off were, of course, off. I went through by process of elimination and enabled each one until one caused me to get the gray screen. The service was Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager. I enabled everything but that one and it ran fine, but I was without that service.

I looked it up to make sure it wasn't some form of Malware but it was indeed a Microsoft service.

Thinking that this one service had become corrupted, and seeing as how I still had the Windows 7 upgrade install files, I decided to do a complete reinstall. It all turned out fine until I needed to update my graphics driver in order to play my video game because it was using the VGA standard that doesn't actually use the graphics card. I then went to nVIDIA.com and downloaded the driver. It installed, had me restart, and once again I was plagued by the gray screen just seconds after logging in.

I disabled Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager, but that didn't work. I then rolled back the driver and that DID work.

I know there was SOME driver that I could use at one point for that day and a half of having Windows 7 Professional 64BIT OS installed. And some driver that also worked with the Release Candidate for Windows 7 before that. But I cannot find those. I have now tried Windows Driver Update as well as the rest of the nVIDIA drivers listed for my graphics card but cannot find one that will allow me to use my graphics card.

Yesterday, I had a brief encounter with unexpected success when I logged on to my computer having one of the drivers causing a gray screen. But this time, it only flickered gray for one second, then I got popup in my system tray warning me of an nvlddmkm error. But I had my desktop, I had to try logging into my game. It worked.

However, upon computer restart, I was back at square one again with the gray screen.

I KNOW there is a way for my graphics card to work with Windows 7, despite the compatibility page not listing my graphics card.

My two questions are: What was allowing me to use my graphics card without a gray screen? AND When will my graphics card be listed as... compatible with Windows 7 - that is, when will it be...compatible with Windows 7?

Posted 11/04/2009 04:34 AM   
Just curious... Did you try disabling Powermizer? There's a problem on some laptops with the 9xxx series with Windows 7 and Powermizer, and I've seen similar reports from 8xxx and 7xxx cards.

[quote name='seraph787' post='944920' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:34 PM']I have had this laptop for a little over a year now. It's a [url="http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2008/GodzillaFX/1015340R/1015340Rsp2.shtml"]Gateway P-6860 FX Notebook [/url]with an [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8800m.html"]nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS[/url] graphics card (512MBB discrete video memory). It came with Windows Vista OS that seemed to do the trick for a while despite the problems I faced with it.

[u][b]DETAILS:[/b][/u]

I KNOW there is a way for my graphics card to work with Windows 7, despite the [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1241025430517.html"]compatibility page[/url] not listing my graphics card.

My two questions are: What was allowing me to use my graphics card without a gray screen? AND When will my graphics card be listed as... compatible with Windows 7 - that is, when will it be...compatible with Windows 7?[/quote]
Just curious... Did you try disabling Powermizer? There's a problem on some laptops with the 9xxx series with Windows 7 and Powermizer, and I've seen similar reports from 8xxx and 7xxx cards.

[quote name='seraph787' post='944920' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:34 PM']I have had this laptop for a little over a year now. It's a Gateway P-6860 FX Notebook with an nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS graphics card (512MBB discrete video memory). It came with Windows Vista OS that seemed to do the trick for a while despite the problems I faced with it.

DETAILS:

I KNOW there is a way for my graphics card to work with Windows 7, despite the compatibility page not listing my graphics card.

Posted 11/04/2009 05:21 PM   
[quote name='RChadwick' post='945264' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:21 AM']Just curious... Did you try disabling Powermizer? There's a problem on some laptops with the 9xxx series with Windows 7 and Powermizer, and I've seen similar reports from 8xxx and 7xxx cards.[/quote]
Is there a way to disable Powermizer without having to do anything in the registry? I've found [url="http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=261929"]a post at notebook review that shows how[/url], but I'm wary of doing anything in my registry. But if there's no other way, it's worth a try.
[quote name='RChadwick' post='945264' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:21 AM']Just curious... Did you try disabling Powermizer? There's a problem on some laptops with the 9xxx series with Windows 7 and Powermizer, and I've seen similar reports from 8xxx and 7xxx cards.

Is there a way to disable Powermizer without having to do anything in the registry? I've found a post at notebook review that shows how, but I'm wary of doing anything in my registry. But if there's no other way, it's worth a try.

Posted 11/04/2009 07:56 PM   
Well I just now tried to disable PowerMizer through the regedit using the instructions at the post I linked but it I couldn't even try.

[b]DETAILS:[/b]
I installed the nVIDIA drivers.
(Just to see if the keys would already be in the registry, I checked the registry for them. They weren't there)
I restarted my computer.
I logged into Windows and recieved the gray screen.
I forced a shut down.
Rebooted in Safe Mode
-I opened Regedit and still could not find the registry keys
Well I just now tried to disable PowerMizer through the regedit using the instructions at the post I linked but it I couldn't even try.

DETAILS:

I installed the nVIDIA drivers.

(Just to see if the keys would already be in the registry, I checked the registry for them. They weren't there)

I restarted my computer.

I logged into Windows and recieved the gray screen.

I forced a shut down.

Rebooted in Safe Mode

-I opened Regedit and still could not find the registry keys

Posted 11/04/2009 09:40 PM   
Just bumping this to see if anyone has had the same problem and/or figured out a solution to get my 8800M GTS working with Windows 7. From a brief scan of the forums, I haven't seen anything resembling my own problems other than a non M (notebook) 8800 GT issue, except that there seem to be more and more issues regarding Windows 7 compatibility surfacing each day now. **Crossing fingers for the impossible and most unlikely** perhaps there's a fix that resolves this issue for many of the models and the compatibility for Windows 7?

I mean... I ended up reverting back to windows vista (yes, you should definitely feel sorry for me... vista is so mean and horrible to live with!...and slow to boot!!!) and I couldn't even get the latest drivers (or beta, for that matter) to work. I had to use an archived one aside from the current release to get it to work.

Why am I having so many issues with nVIDIA drivers for both Vista AND Windows 7? This is a bit ridiculous that both new and old just plain suck right now.

...Okay now, this has turned out to be more of a rant than I had intended, but seriously, I rely on nVIDIA to be the top of the line and yet when I concede to not use my windows 7 that I bought, and instead use an operating system which I abhor, I still encounter issues. Not to mention that while I have my GPU functioning for games under Vista, using these outdated drivers (because the latest ones just don't work at all), I find my GPU overheating after just one hour of gaming. Feels like nVIDIA will be the death of my computer when it ends up burning a hole through the rest of the hardware around it. ><

I need a shoulder to cry on since I've already used all the real life ones around me up. They're drenched in tears and drying off as we speak!
Just bumping this to see if anyone has had the same problem and/or figured out a solution to get my 8800M GTS working with Windows 7. From a brief scan of the forums, I haven't seen anything resembling my own problems other than a non M (notebook) 8800 GT issue, except that there seem to be more and more issues regarding Windows 7 compatibility surfacing each day now. **Crossing fingers for the impossible and most unlikely** perhaps there's a fix that resolves this issue for many of the models and the compatibility for Windows 7?

I mean... I ended up reverting back to windows vista (yes, you should definitely feel sorry for me... vista is so mean and horrible to live with!...and slow to boot!!!) and I couldn't even get the latest drivers (or beta, for that matter) to work. I had to use an archived one aside from the current release to get it to work.

Why am I having so many issues with nVIDIA drivers for both Vista AND Windows 7? This is a bit ridiculous that both new and old just plain suck right now.

...Okay now, this has turned out to be more of a rant than I had intended, but seriously, I rely on nVIDIA to be the top of the line and yet when I concede to not use my windows 7 that I bought, and instead use an operating system which I abhor, I still encounter issues. Not to mention that while I have my GPU functioning for games under Vista, using these outdated drivers (because the latest ones just don't work at all), I find my GPU overheating after just one hour of gaming. Feels like nVIDIA will be the death of my computer when it ends up burning a hole through the rest of the hardware around it. ><

I need a shoulder to cry on since I've already used all the real life ones around me up. They're drenched in tears and drying off as we speak!

Posted 11/09/2009 08:04 AM   
Hey Seraph, have you ever found a solution for this problem, I have the same problem with the same laptop. I have Windows 7 home edition, using the latest Nvidia drivers, everything was working fine for months, and all of a sudden this same grey screen shows up. The only drivers that do work is the ones from the gateway website, but they are relatively old 167.49 and they suck. I can't even play any high end games with them or else the same blank grey or blue screen shows up.
Hey Seraph, have you ever found a solution for this problem, I have the same problem with the same laptop. I have Windows 7 home edition, using the latest Nvidia drivers, everything was working fine for months, and all of a sudden this same grey screen shows up. The only drivers that do work is the ones from the gateway website, but they are relatively old 167.49 and they suck. I can't even play any high end games with them or else the same blank grey or blue screen shows up.

Posted 03/27/2010 02:48 AM   
[quote name='MonkeyBallZJr' post='1027933' date='Mar 26 2010, 06:48 PM']Hey Seraph, have you ever found a solution for this problem, I have the same problem with the same laptop. I have Windows 7 home edition, using the latest Nvidia drivers, everything was working fine for months, and all of a sudden this same grey screen shows up. The only drivers that do work is the ones from the gateway website, but they are relatively old 167.49 and they suck. I can't even play any high end games with them or else the same blank grey or blue screen shows up.[/quote]
I didn't find any before my video card burned up. My suggestion would be to go back to Vista before your video card blows up. The issue lies in the card itself. nVIDIA made a ton of them to begin with, but after they were already sold and implemented in laptops, they found out that they were defective, the parts in them were too cheap and they would melt up. To fix this, they released custom drivers for the card that work with Vista and are backwards compatible for XP, 2000, etc. What the driver did was turn the fan on a lot sooner than normal in order to lower the heat and, in turn, keep the cheap parts from melting.

The news only gets worse in that they refuse to make a Windows 7 driver for it, so unless someone other than nVIDIA makes one for Windows 7, you're screwed. In fact, if you take a look at their Windows 7 compatibility list of drivers, you'll find that it's the only mobile GPU of theirs from the current generation of cards that they don't have on the list. I didn't find any third party sources for a good driver update.

If you're bent on switching to Windows 7 which, actually, I probably would be too (if my GPU didn't already fry and do damage to some other peripherals - thus I had to buy a new comp), I would buy a Windows 7 compatible GPU that works (and fits) with the model of laptop. It's way cheaper than buying a whole new rig, and the switch to Windows 7 is well worth it. Vista is crap. nVIDIA is... not going to help other than selling a new gcard through third party sources such as ebay (last I checked). So then again... maybe a whole new rig is simpler.
[quote name='MonkeyBallZJr' post='1027933' date='Mar 26 2010, 06:48 PM']Hey Seraph, have you ever found a solution for this problem, I have the same problem with the same laptop. I have Windows 7 home edition, using the latest Nvidia drivers, everything was working fine for months, and all of a sudden this same grey screen shows up. The only drivers that do work is the ones from the gateway website, but they are relatively old 167.49 and they suck. I can't even play any high end games with them or else the same blank grey or blue screen shows up.

I didn't find any before my video card burned up. My suggestion would be to go back to Vista before your video card blows up. The issue lies in the card itself. nVIDIA made a ton of them to begin with, but after they were already sold and implemented in laptops, they found out that they were defective, the parts in them were too cheap and they would melt up. To fix this, they released custom drivers for the card that work with Vista and are backwards compatible for XP, 2000, etc. What the driver did was turn the fan on a lot sooner than normal in order to lower the heat and, in turn, keep the cheap parts from melting.

The news only gets worse in that they refuse to make a Windows 7 driver for it, so unless someone other than nVIDIA makes one for Windows 7, you're screwed. In fact, if you take a look at their Windows 7 compatibility list of drivers, you'll find that it's the only mobile GPU of theirs from the current generation of cards that they don't have on the list. I didn't find any third party sources for a good driver update.

If you're bent on switching to Windows 7 which, actually, I probably would be too (if my GPU didn't already fry and do damage to some other peripherals - thus I had to buy a new comp), I would buy a Windows 7 compatible GPU that works (and fits) with the model of laptop. It's way cheaper than buying a whole new rig, and the switch to Windows 7 is well worth it. Vista is crap. nVIDIA is... not going to help other than selling a new gcard through third party sources such as ebay (last I checked). So then again... maybe a whole new rig is simpler.

Posted 03/27/2010 06:08 AM   
[quote name='seraph787' post='1027997' date='Mar 27 2010, 02:08 AM']I didn't find any before my video card burned up. My suggestion would be to go back to Vista before your video card blows up. The issue lies in the card itself. nVIDIA made a ton of them to begin with, but after they were already sold and implemented in laptops, they found out that they were defective, the parts in them were too cheap and they would melt up. To fix this, they released custom drivers for the card that work with Vista and are backwards compatible for XP, 2000, etc. What the driver did was turn the fan on a lot sooner than normal in order to lower the heat and, in turn, keep the cheap parts from melting.

If you're bent on switching to Windows 7 which, actually, I probably would be too (if my GPU didn't already fry and do damage to some other peripherals - thus I had to buy a new comp), I would buy a Windows 7 compatible GPU that works (and fits) with the model of laptop. It's way cheaper than buying a whole new rig, and the switch to Windows 7 is well worth it. Vista is crap. nVIDIA is... not going to help other than selling a new gcard through third party sources such as ebay (last I checked). So then again... maybe a whole new rig is simpler.[/quote]

Thanks for the extremely quick reply, I do understand and share your frustrations as well. What's even more frustrating is that everything was working in windows 7 fine for 4 months and than blam. I keep both my CPU and GPU temperature pretty low by undervolting and having an intensive laptop cooler as well so I don't think it's gonna burn up and the repair shop ran a diagnostic on the card and deemed it to be fine but something is obviously wrong with it. At this point I can only play low end games like Warcraft 3..sigh fml......
since I got the laptop through ebay with squaretrade warranty I think I might just go ahead try to fry the video card and hopefully get full refund for the laptop, since there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative. I don't think it's possible to even replace the GPU on the 6860FX?,
[quote name='seraph787' post='1027997' date='Mar 27 2010, 02:08 AM']I didn't find any before my video card burned up. My suggestion would be to go back to Vista before your video card blows up. The issue lies in the card itself. nVIDIA made a ton of them to begin with, but after they were already sold and implemented in laptops, they found out that they were defective, the parts in them were too cheap and they would melt up. To fix this, they released custom drivers for the card that work with Vista and are backwards compatible for XP, 2000, etc. What the driver did was turn the fan on a lot sooner than normal in order to lower the heat and, in turn, keep the cheap parts from melting.

Thanks for the extremely quick reply, I do understand and share your frustrations as well. What's even more frustrating is that everything was working in windows 7 fine for 4 months and than blam. I keep both my CPU and GPU temperature pretty low by undervolting and having an intensive laptop cooler as well so I don't think it's gonna burn up and the repair shop ran a diagnostic on the card and deemed it to be fine but something is obviously wrong with it. At this point I can only play low end games like Warcraft 3..sigh fml......

since I got the laptop through ebay with squaretrade warranty I think I might just go ahead try to fry the video card and hopefully get full refund for the laptop, since there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative. I don't think it's possible to even replace the GPU on the 6860FX?,

Posted 03/27/2010 08:08 AM   
[quote name='MonkeyBallZJr' post='1028026' date='Mar 27 2010, 12:08 AM']Thanks for the extremely quick reply, I do understand and share your frustrations as well. What's even more frustrating is that everything was working in windows 7 fine for 4 months and than blam. I keep both my CPU and GPU temperature pretty low by undervolting and having an intensive laptop cooler as well so I don't think it's gonna burn up and the repair shop ran a diagnostic on the card and deemed it to be fine but something is obviously wrong with it. At this point I can only play low end games like Warcraft 3..sigh fml......
since I got the laptop through ebay with squaretrade warranty I think I might just go ahead try to fry the video card and hopefully get full refund for the laptop, since there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative. I don't think it's possible to even replace the GPU on the 6860FX?,[/quote]
Aye, I ran the beta of Windows 7 for 4 months before it came out, and a month later from when it came out for real and I had switched to it, it finally gave in. I had power saver options turned on and a laptop cooling pad that I got for it about a month into using Windows 7 beta and that seemed to do the trick until 4 months later. I really hope yours lasts a lifetime like that. It's a lot like overclocking your graphics card because you are generating so much heat and it's not being cooled down as much as it should be to keep things safe. So if it were me, I wouldn't keep running like that, but if it works for you then great. :)
[quote name='MonkeyBallZJr' post='1028026' date='Mar 27 2010, 12:08 AM']Thanks for the extremely quick reply, I do understand and share your frustrations as well. What's even more frustrating is that everything was working in windows 7 fine for 4 months and than blam. I keep both my CPU and GPU temperature pretty low by undervolting and having an intensive laptop cooler as well so I don't think it's gonna burn up and the repair shop ran a diagnostic on the card and deemed it to be fine but something is obviously wrong with it. At this point I can only play low end games like Warcraft 3..sigh fml......

Aye, I ran the beta of Windows 7 for 4 months before it came out, and a month later from when it came out for real and I had switched to it, it finally gave in. I had power saver options turned on and a laptop cooling pad that I got for it about a month into using Windows 7 beta and that seemed to do the trick until 4 months later. I really hope yours lasts a lifetime like that. It's a lot like overclocking your graphics card because you are generating so much heat and it's not being cooled down as much as it should be to keep things safe. So if it were me, I wouldn't keep running like that, but if it works for you then great. :)

Posted 03/27/2010 07:56 PM   
[quote name='seraph787' date='27 March 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1269719771' post='1028393']
[/quote]

I share your pain Seraph. And I believe is the Powermizer feature. Mine hangs at very mysterious occasions. I've been trying to play Halo: CE at LAN parties and I run my 6860 with a cooling pad. Temperatures don't go above 60C with this game. But somehow I get pixel garbles and eventually a grey screen. Changes I see when this happens? VOLTAGE. I did a stress test with a benchmark software calle FURMARK which basically burn tests your video card to the extreme. And I manage to get a 90C temp without any problems, and I'm talking after replacing the thermal compound of th GPU with Arctic Silver, so temp is not a problem. The GPU starts at 0.85 volts but when it needs more juice it ups to 1 volt. The instant I unplugged the A/C from the lappy guess what. Grey screen! So I believe it's the voltage change. I found this software called nVidia Powermizer Manager and override the feature settings. Max performance on both profiles, (Battery and A/C) which means it will run at 1v forever. You shouldnt worry about temp if you know you have the windows dusted and well ventilated, only downside is that it takes half an hour off your battery when AC unplugged. I'm writing this while ruinning Halo: CE so far so good. Here's the link to the software: http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.php/software/nvpmmanager/
I will update you guys on how well this has worked for me. I am currently on day 1 of testing. I will be playing Halo: CE for a couple of hours tonight. If nothing happens within that time I guess it is safe to say this has solved at least my problem which is 90% similar to yours. Let me know what happens with ya'll. Really hope this helps, no good in spending another $1500 on a lappy.... in my case it was $2000. Too much money for a crap like this. Oh and one more thing. In the manager software I configured the overheat slowdoen Override to "Slowdown Mem & GPU Core" just to be safe. One thing for sure is that the voltage will remain constant with the Powermizer settings. Which I believe is the main problem. Instant Apply should work without reboot, just don't forget to create a restore point before Aplying, the software will do it for ya. Cheers! I will Attach a printscreen of my current settings and a harware monitor so you can see it works.
[quote name='seraph787' date='27 March 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1269719771' post='1028393']

I share your pain Seraph. And I believe is the Powermizer feature. Mine hangs at very mysterious occasions. I've been trying to play Halo: CE at LAN parties and I run my 6860 with a cooling pad. Temperatures don't go above 60C with this game. But somehow I get pixel garbles and eventually a grey screen. Changes I see when this happens? VOLTAGE. I did a stress test with a benchmark software calle FURMARK which basically burn tests your video card to the extreme. And I manage to get a 90C temp without any problems, and I'm talking after replacing the thermal compound of th GPU with Arctic Silver, so temp is not a problem. The GPU starts at 0.85 volts but when it needs more juice it ups to 1 volt. The instant I unplugged the A/C from the lappy guess what. Grey screen! So I believe it's the voltage change. I found this software called nVidia Powermizer Manager and override the feature settings. Max performance on both profiles, (Battery and A/C) which means it will run at 1v forever. You shouldnt worry about temp if you know you have the windows dusted and well ventilated, only downside is that it takes half an hour off your battery when AC unplugged. I'm writing this while ruinning Halo: CE so far so good. Here's the link to the software: http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.php/software/nvpmmanager/

I will update you guys on how well this has worked for me. I am currently on day 1 of testing. I will be playing Halo: CE for a couple of hours tonight. If nothing happens within that time I guess it is safe to say this has solved at least my problem which is 90% similar to yours. Let me know what happens with ya'll. Really hope this helps, no good in spending another $1500 on a lappy.... in my case it was $2000. Too much money for a crap like this. Oh and one more thing. In the manager software I configured the overheat slowdoen Override to "Slowdown Mem & GPU Core" just to be safe. One thing for sure is that the voltage will remain constant with the Powermizer settings. Which I believe is the main problem. Instant Apply should work without reboot, just don't forget to create a restore point before Aplying, the software will do it for ya. Cheers! I will Attach a printscreen of my current settings and a harware monitor so you can see it works.
Attachments

screen.jpg

Posted 08/05/2011 02:28 PM   
Scroll To Top