Changing the primary graphics card
Just a quick technical question here, as I have not been able to find an answer yet. Because my case (HAF932) is much cooler at the bottom, is there anyway to change my primary graphics card from the top to the lower card? I get a 15c temp difference between the cards and the bottom card has a floor fan which blows directly into its intake.

Running 2x 8800GTX's with a Biostar TPower X58A Mobo (x16 x16 x4)
Just a quick technical question here, as I have not been able to find an answer yet. Because my case (HAF932) is much cooler at the bottom, is there anyway to change my primary graphics card from the top to the lower card? I get a 15c temp difference between the cards and the bottom card has a floor fan which blows directly into its intake.

Running 2x 8800GTX's with a Biostar TPower X58A Mobo (x16 x16 x4)

Posted 10/27/2009 06:33 PM   
I don't think there is a way to do that, but if there is I'd sure be interested to know what it is!
I don't think there is a way to do that, but if there is I'd sure be interested to know what it is!

My name is Legion, for we are many

Sig: BluSOUL | HAFX | Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Pro | Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair H80 | G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Bios ACX | Seagate 500GB SATA 3 & Seagate 2TB SATA 2 | Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0116 | Philips 273E LH 27" | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 |

Posted 10/27/2009 06:41 PM   
Presumably you are wanting to do this because you think that the top card is hotter because it is displaying video? When you are in a game in SLI mode both cards are working hard and getting hot. Piping the signal out of the DVI port is negligible. The reason the top one is hotter is because it is sucking in the heat from the bottom card and the bottom card is sucking fresh air. The way to fix this is to get fresh air to the top card.
Presumably you are wanting to do this because you think that the top card is hotter because it is displaying video? When you are in a game in SLI mode both cards are working hard and getting hot. Piping the signal out of the DVI port is negligible. The reason the top one is hotter is because it is sucking in the heat from the bottom card and the bottom card is sucking fresh air. The way to fix this is to get fresh air to the top card.

Posted 10/27/2009 07:31 PM   
The thing is the top card has a 80 cfm fan blowing straight on it, while the bottom only has a 40 cfm fan blowing from the case floor vent into it's intake. Both cards have a single 230 mm fan acting as a side intake. The lower card peaks at 68c while the top one peaks at 80c. I think it's the simple law of heat rising that is the main culprit here (note that the cards sit a decent 1 inch appart on an extended SLI bridge, with a kind off wind tunnel effect in the middle.

I have heard people say that the primary GPU usually runs 4 or 5c warmer no matter what the placement - Silverstone Raven RV01 vertical mobo case for an example.

If it can't be done it can't be done, I was just curious to see if anyone has had any success. Will give it anouther look when I get home tonight.
The thing is the top card has a 80 cfm fan blowing straight on it, while the bottom only has a 40 cfm fan blowing from the case floor vent into it's intake. Both cards have a single 230 mm fan acting as a side intake. The lower card peaks at 68c while the top one peaks at 80c. I think it's the simple law of heat rising that is the main culprit here (note that the cards sit a decent 1 inch appart on an extended SLI bridge, with a kind off wind tunnel effect in the middle.

I have heard people say that the primary GPU usually runs 4 or 5c warmer no matter what the placement - Silverstone Raven RV01 vertical mobo case for an example.

If it can't be done it can't be done, I was just curious to see if anyone has had any success. Will give it anouther look when I get home tonight.

Posted 10/27/2009 07:40 PM   
Remove your side panel fans; they are usually good for nothing but create turbulent airflow.
Remove your side panel fans; they are usually good for nothing but create turbulent airflow.

My name is Legion, for we are many

Sig: BluSOUL | HAFX | Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Pro | Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair H80 | G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Bios ACX | Seagate 500GB SATA 3 & Seagate 2TB SATA 2 | Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0116 | Philips 273E LH 27" | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 |

Posted 10/27/2009 09:01 PM   
Scroll To Top